Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another DDOS shuts them down...

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    AnOldFart said:
    Actually there is one person moaning on and on about crap, they are worried because they haven't got their time slot through yet blah blah blah. Even though they are only a count and so won't pick for 2 weeks.

Now don't get me wrong, Caspian missed his deadline again, but the only people affected were the Kings and they were fine with what is happening. 
    He promises the map will be up for next week, I'm not holding my hopes up but we will see. 

As for the DDos, I believe its real, Caspian was massively pissed. I might have even been the first person to suggest he takes the site down on discord. 
    Oh and the DDos attack is annoying but effects nothing this week, I would say its probably someone who wants to COE fail tbh. And yes they need prosecuting 
    But as I said before,  if you really wanted to hurt them would you not have waited a week or so until the actual website was being used and people were picking their slots?  As you said, doing it now really is pointless...

Seems as if the Kings are picking via the website, or at least the results of their picks are being reported there. 

Perhaps by disrupting the web site it may slow down the entire process?

That could lead to problems for people who took off work to be available during their selection slot, or some other problem.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    AnOldFart said:
    Actually there is one person moaning on and on about crap, they are worried because they haven't got their time slot through yet blah blah blah. Even though they are only a count and so won't pick for 2 weeks.

Now don't get me wrong, Caspian missed his deadline again, but the only people affected were the Kings and they were fine with what is happening. 
    He promises the map will be up for next week, I'm not holding my hopes up but we will see. 

As for the DDos, I believe its real, Caspian was massively pissed. I might have even been the first person to suggest he takes the site down on discord. 
    Oh and the DDos attack is annoying but effects nothing this week, I would say its probably someone who wants to COE fail tbh. And yes they need prosecuting 
    But as I said before,  if you really wanted to hurt them would you not have waited a week or so until the actual website was being used and people were picking their slots?  As you said, doing it now really is pointless...

They don't lose anything by DDosing this week, they can do it this week, they can do it again next week, they can do it everyday if they want to.
    KyleranAnOldFartJamesGoblin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    This will only increase the bunker mentality CoE seem to have and is rather like kicking someone when they are down to me, so bad all round.
    Kyleran
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

Caspian ☁Today at 9:04 PM

As to holding us accountable, where should I start.... 1. Name one other company that's built multiple worlds simultaneously the size of our continents. There are none. That's not an excuse, it just means we're in unfamiliar territory. There's no references to base things on. We're learning as we go. 2. Understand that we're not a large corporation. We're a small team of less than 20 people. The next time you want to hold us accountable, remember that it's very easy to be derailed when there's no redundancy 3. I'm not making excuses for not having the maps done today - but also understand that NOTHING YOU DO to hold us accountable will get it done faster. It also won't change our future plans, or cause us to be more cautious because most of the reasons for delay are outside our hands. Save for not announcing anything until it's already done - there's nothing we can do. And nobody wants us to keep everything secret until we're already done. 4. If you want to hold us accountable - stop spending money. Refuse to upgrade, don't buy any more promo items, and as a crowd-funded company we'll eventually run out of money. And boy will that teach us to hit our milestones. With no more milestones to hit, we certainly won't have that problem anymore. 5. Finally, the best way to ensure the devs don't want to come into Discord is to be shit-talking the studio when we're coming in. Again, your "holding us accountable" is just a sugar-coated way of saying you're complaining about something that neither you, nor us, has any control over, nor can we work any faster than we are. In the absence of any real way to address your gripes, it's just going to result in nobody bothering to come by.

Caspian ☁Today at 9:05 PM

As an aside, nowhere on our ToS does it say you have freedom of speech here. This isn't a public website or Discord. It's private. Respect our desires to remain constructive, or go find another Discord. Simple.

That didn't start off so bad. Basically just explaining himself. He should have stopped there. Over going onto some crazy rant for whatever reason. I do like the line "And nobody wants us to keep everything secret until we're already done". Besides the few that have been saying that, of course. Nothing like a little white lie. So many are sick of them saying a date and completely missing it. Doesn't help the post at the last second either. 

His next message is the more worrying one. While people should always remain constructive, even if their overall feedback is very negative. Can he really blame people for being pissed and venting? Maybe if he stopped hyping the hell out of everything and saying some stupidity unrealistic date. People wouldn't react badly. 

I really think if Caspian never came onto discord again. Things would be better. He can't keep his emotions in check and you can really see that nearly every time he posts. While I can understand this is his dream. He is only doing more damage. Yet he doesn't look like he can even see it. His loyal white knights probably isn't helping there.
    Gdemami
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Ungood said:
    So, no, just because he is making a game, does not mean he is in control of shit going wrong. at best, he is in control of how he handles shit going wrong.
    There's a massive difference between things unintentionally going wrong, which I did mention in my post, and claiming no responsibility ever.

A server failing or something, you can claim no responsibility.
    But, software and their website, etc., are being made and handled by them(AFAIK), which means they are a contributing factor and have some control over these things.  Claiming everything is out of their hands is just shameless.

Yeah, there's going to be bugs and unexpected errors, but they are still responsible for that stuff and in control of pretty much the entire situation.

The obvious thing to do would be never to give dates on anything until it's completed and tested, which he hints at in his post.  I don't know why they set a firm date for a complex custom system that had multiple teams on it and they hadn't done anything like before.

I'm a big believer in the old-school ways of not announcing things until they've been tested and proven functional, but that's not really the way people do things anymore.
    Gdemami
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Well... people are certainly not taking their business elsewhere.

Still can't upload a damn screenshot. 

At 30-Apr-19 the total project income stood at $6,111,616 which is a decent jump from $5,755,476 at 28-Mar-19. With a day/month average of $10,792/$145,975 over the life of the project.

Territory selection has clearly galvanized a lot of interest.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

At 30-Apr-19 the total project income stood at $6,111,616 which is a decent jump from $5,755,476 at 28-Mar-19. With a day/month average of $10,792/$145,975 over the life of the project.

Of course it did.  Your picking order depends on your IP which depends on the amount of cash you have spent.  That’s why he has highlighted the ability to move up picking time.   It’s just another advantage for sale...

As for the uploads, I have the same issue.  Very annoying.  Sometimes I can cut and paste a picture but not always and for the last few months I can’t upload at all.
    StaalBurgher

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    One interesting fact Caspian revealed in his rants, "2. Understand that we're not a large corporation. We're a small team of less than 20 people."

We know they were at around 30 when 10 were let go at the end of 2017.

Despite mention of several new hires in 2018 it appears they were replacing staff which left for whatever reasons as the team is not growing.

Not saying this is a bad thing, might be all the revenue stream supports so better they stay small and within the budget, even if it extends delivery dates.

One thing I've learned from COE, SC and others is as long as they can keep donations or other investors coming in they can keep developing almost indefinitely.

Once again monetization proves to be one of the most innovative changes in MMORPGs, certainly hasn't been in gameplay or delivery of new games.

StaalBurgherMendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    One interesting fact Caspian revealed in his rants, "2. Understand that we're not a large corporation. We're a small team of less than 20 people."

We know they were at around 30 when 10 were let go at the end of 2017.

Despite mention of several new hires in 2018 it appears they were replacing staff which left for whatever reasons as the team is not growing.

Not saying this is a bad thing, might be all the revenue stream supports so better they stay small and within the budget, even if it extends delivery dates.

One thing I've learned from COE, SC and others is as long as they can keep donations or other investors coming in they can keep developing almost indefinitely.

Once again monetization proves to be one of the most innovative changes in MMORPGs, certainly hasn't been in gameplay or delivery of new games.

From what I heard they have had some departures over the last few weeks/months.  I had thought they were just over 20... so this puts them at 19 or less.  So much for those posts about all the time spent hiring people.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Wouldn't be surprised if people working for SBS, are plainly getting burnt out. He commented somewhere, about how working for SBS, isn't as bad as other gaming companies. With it not being as long hours. Which depending on the pay grade, well that may turn out to be worse really. While saying they aren't as bad, doesn't say they are good either. There is normally a reason if some workplace has a high turn over. They really shouldn't be this early on either. I had thought they had around 25-30 people. Of course it's hard to notice who is working for them and who isn't. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

If day average is $10 792 and month average is $145 975, then that would mean a month has average of 13.5 days.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I have lost track of how many attacks this makes but per Caspien they are under yet another DDOS attack.  Their forums appear to be down due to this.

Caspian ☁Today at 2:30 PM

And... someone's DoS'ing us again....

Caspian ☁Today at 3:01 PM

There's millions of hits coming in every 5 minutes for a few different IP addresses. It's confirmed to be a DDoS.

Caspian ☁Today at 3:04 PM

@Aika Merigold (EU) Cloudflare doesn't solve this problem. Ultimately, defending against a DDoS requires several different tactics. Because they are just using rolling IP addresses, as soon as we auto-ban an IP address and they get no ACK, they just spoof a different IP address.

Caspian ☁Today at 3:07 PM

Yay! Someone just trying to get us to pay money for nothing!

Sigh...  I don't much care for the guy but whoever is doing this should be caught and prosecuted. (if in fact it is happening, the last time it was self-inflicted from what I recall)

This is just the start IMHO... this is just someone messing with his Domain Selection event. Wait until the game starts...

^^^^^ #1 suspect^^^^^ lol 
    Slapshot1188
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Not even funny. Whoever did this should be prosecuted.  

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The timing of the DDoS with the start of this event is suspicious.  But it is also telling.

Whoever is perpetrating this DDoS attack planned to coordinate this with the start of the event, when the fully automated selection tool was in play.  This attack appears to be an attempt to derail the automated selection tool, thereby disrupting this process/event.

Only the perpetrator didn't count on SBS failing to get their selection tool finished by this date.  SBS has missed almost every one of the dates they made public and in order to start this process on time, they resorted to a manual process to start.  We will hear eventually how this event started on time (and against outside interference of the DDoS attack) and the failure to complete the development of the selection tool will be *mostly* forgotten.

How smart are these particular DDoS perpetrators?  Not very.  They expected SBS to be on schedule with a portion of development, and planned to attack it.  These perpetrators need to be identified and prosecuted.  If only to punish the gross incompetence.

Slapshot1188Lokero

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Not even funny.

It would be funny if you read it like this:

bcbully said:

Caspian ☁Today at 3:07 PM

Yay! Someone just trying to get us to pay money for nothing!

^^^^^ #1 suspect^^^^^ lol 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    How do these DDOS work, is this something only a "leet Hacker" could do or its just anyone with enough balls and a VPN ?  The reason i ask is because i never understood why someone with such knowledge of how to do these things wouldn't use their skills for just causes like say taking down a terrorist network promoting recruitment on twitter or say a rogue government that censors what their people can and cannot read or putting a zillion dollars into a poor persons bank account lol. 
    Gdemami
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Mendel said:
    The timing of the DDoS with the start of this event is suspicious.  But it is also telling.

Whoever is perpetrating this DDoS attack planned to coordinate this with the start of the event, when the fully automated selection tool was in play.  This attack appears to be an attempt to derail the automated selection tool, thereby disrupting this process/event.

Only the perpetrator didn't count on SBS failing to get their selection tool finished by this date.  SBS has missed almost every one of the dates they made public and in order to start this process on time, they resorted to a manual process to start.  We will hear eventually how this event started on time (and against outside interference of the DDoS attack) and the failure to complete the development of the selection tool will be *mostly* forgotten.

How smart are these particular DDoS perpetrators?  Not very.  They expected SBS to be on schedule with a portion of development, and planned to attack it.  These perpetrators need to be identified and prosecuted.  If only to punish the gross incompetence.

Some good points there. 
    Gdemami

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Mendel said:

Some good points there. 
    I agree, I could even consider that maybe it was one of the monarchs trying to stop everyone else picking the kingdom they wanted. 

There is one particular one that comes to mind, he paid loads for an advantage because he thinks it makes him good and still ended up picking the equivalent of 4th
    Gdemami
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    This guy really is a complete ass.  I backed this game because I am occasionally a fool  (and am capable of admitting that) While I rarely fall into the camp of wanting a project to fail; I'll find it hard to refrain from at least a smile when it does.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It's fascinating to watch these kings trying to outspend each other, lol

Quite realistic in it's own way.

Are we supposed to believe that these guys are just going to put their wallets away on launch day and "play nicely" ?

I really wouldn't put it past one of the "whales" being behind the DDoS attacks, in an attempt to cement their advantage in some way. PVP with real money as weapons...
    Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    This is one of the reasons that to me a PBEM method would be better, it is not time sensitive. But I take what you said about players playing on more than one map, they would have to create by hand all the maps. Still in my mind that makes more sense than a random generator, which they are only going to use for these few maps, seems pointless to me.
    Gdemami
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    How do these DDOS work, is this something only a "leet Hacker" could do or its just anyone with enough balls and a VPN ?  The reason i ask is because i never understood why someone with such knowledge of how to do these things wouldn't use their skills for just causes like say taking down a terrorist network promoting recruitment on twitter or say a rogue government that censors what their people can and cannot read or putting a zillion dollars into a poor persons bank account lol. 
    No, for the most part any talentless teen mad at Blizz for nerfing their weapon or Overwatch having a pride day can pay for a service that lets them DDoS a server. At the basic level it's simply sending hundreds/thousands/millions of page requests to a website and overwhelming the server's resources.
    There is a bit of knowledge required if you want get past any mitigation without just relying on brute force but most just pay for more bots/bandwidth.
    There is some clever stuff like DDoS amplification attacks that made use of DNS servers iirc, a request would be sent to a nameserver and the packet might be 4kb in size, the response would be 16kb in size. All they would then need to do is spoof the origin of the nameserver request and boom.

Doing it from your own PC and via VPN would be asking for trouble, plus it's coming from a single IP as opposed to thousands of IP addresses. A VPN provider would also shut that down very quickly due to liability or ciminality issues.
    KyleranJeffSpicoliLokero
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    No, for the most part any talentless teen mad at Blizz for nerfing their weapon or Overwatch having a pride day can pay for a service that lets them DDoS a server. At the basic level it's simply sending hundreds/thousands/millions of page requests to a website and overwhelming the server's resources.
    There is a bit of knowledge required if you want get past any mitigation without just relying on brute force but most just pay for more bots/bandwidth.
    There is some clever stuff like DDoS amplification attacks that made use of DNS servers iirc, a request would be sent to a nameserver and the packet might be 4kb in size, the response would be 16kb in size. All they would then need to do is spoof the origin of the nameserver request and boom.

Doing it from your own PC and via VPN would be asking for trouble, plus it's coming from a single IP as opposed to thousands of IP addresses. A VPN provider would also shut that down very quickly due to liability or ciminality issues.
    Interesting. I knew what a DDOS was but i wasn't really sure how it was executed . This would have been my guess though. Thanks for the explanation  
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Warshack1337Warshack1337 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    is this game ever going to come out? or are they gonna be another star citizen
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Game should be called Nigerian Princes Online.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Slapshot1188Scotobii[Deleted User]