Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE: This is what's wrong with modern MMOs

13»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Scot said:
    I think there is a distinct possibly the games systems will have holes in that allow players to drive through all sorts of distortions to the economy, land holding, war etc.

I base this on two observations. Caspian seems to have no grasp of what players are like when given sandbox elements, he expects everyone to play by a set of rules that is not enforced by in game systems. Secondly he does not strike me as the sort of person who thinks his ideas and therefore his game will need much in the way of testing. So issues which might have been caught will be there in early access which means there may be no time to properly fix them for launch.

Of course there will be. Players do the damnedest things. 

The he thing is a lot of those holes will become “features”, or a fact of life. The worst will attempted to be fixed. Usually over and over.
    Scot
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The bugger question for me is why would anyone want to own land in a mmorpg?  Unless it is less mmorpg and more strategy game?  

I have no desire to do anything that is a huge pain in the ass in real life in a game - like owning land, running a shop, owning a house, etc.  I want to do game things like play an mmorpg, kill monsters, buy magic items from a real action house, explore dungeons, etc.   

Does owning land make the characters more powerful?  Does it give them attribute buffs?  OP skill buffs?  Or is it just some gay survival game bullshit needed to protect resources you gather because it isn't an mmorpg?  And if it isn't a real mmorpg how could this be what is wrong with modern mmorpgs?
    GdemamiMendel
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    blamo2000 said:
    The bugger question for me is why would anyone want to own land in a mmorpg?  Unless it is less mmorpg and more strategy game?  

I have no desire to do anything that is a huge pain in the ass in real life in a game - like owning land, running a shop, owning a house, etc.  I want to do game things like play an mmorpg, kill monsters, buy magic items from a real action house, explore dungeons, etc.   

Does owning land make the characters more powerful?  Does it give them attribute buffs?  OP skill buffs?  Or is it just some gay survival game bullshit needed to protect resources you gather because it isn't an mmorpg?  And if it isn't a real mmorpg how could this be what is wrong with modern mmorpgs?
    A lot of times you can tax the land, make changes to rule sets, those types of things. Most importantly you get pride. Pride is what turns the world in pvp games. A simple desire to win. A desire to take you oppositions land and watch their guild scatter to the wind. Aaaah just the thought warms my soul.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    Good to see many people in this thread understand the problems with gaming and the businesses behind them.
    There is NOTHING good that comes from cash shops.There is EVERYTHING wrong when your immersive world is interfered with by virtual sales.
    This is similar to Star Citizen/Crowfall,taking the homes/ships/plots,likely the most desired aspect of a game world and outright selling them.

You are suppose to be role playing within that world,everything is suppose to happen within that world and not outside the world.The developer is suppose to deliver the means so that living in that world and attaining ideas seems plausibly real.

If you cannot deliver a 100% even playing field,DON'T make games,i am not interested in your scummy money ideas.

I thought the idea of gaming has always been a simple one for the past 40 years,make a game,sell a game,that is it that is all.
    ScotMendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Scot said:
    I think there is a distinct possibly the games systems will have holes in that allow players to drive through all sorts of distortions to the economy, land holding, war etc.

I base this on two observations. Caspian seems to have no grasp of what players are like when given sandbox elements, he expects everyone to play by a set of rules that is not enforced by in game systems. Secondly he does not strike me as the sort of person who thinks his ideas and therefore his game will need much in the way of testing. So issues which might have been caught will be there in early access which means there may be no time to properly fix them for launch.
    And just like Caspien you will be shocked when folks don’t do as he expects them to neatly do. 
    Yeah, it's all just speculation.  But, the one thing we do know for sure is that people are going to "not play right" according to Caspien's vision.  I wonder if he's figured that part out yet.

If there's a way to screw up his grand designs, it will be screwed up, and, since this is a sandbox game, we can bet there's going to be plenty of ways to throw a wrench in the works.
    Mendel said:
    We've yet to see an example of a Noble being removed from their position in this game, so all speculation about how it will work is just that, speculation.  I really can't see a company allowing a  major customer to fail.  There already appears to be all manner of votes, inheritance laws and possibly other ways to overrule a military/'might makes right' solution.
    Between Caspien wanting people to do things "his way" according to his grand design, and the issue of major money being tied to those Nobles, I definitely think there would be a lot of post-launch scrambling to completely alter/reinforce certain systems.

I can just picture him going off the deep end throwing another tantrum because people aren't playing the game as he pictured in his game-novel.  Then he comes swooping in to fundamentally change things.  Or, at least alter them to go as he wants, like he did with the Plague event.
    We've seen how narrow-minded he is with "his" game.  He doesn't grasp that the public will see something other than what's in his mind when it becomes theirs.

I still say he should just write a novel series.  It seems like a much better fit for what he imagines.  Players aren't going to follow his storyline in a sandbox world.
    ScotGdemami
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Wizardry said:
    Good to see many people in this thread understand the problems with gaming and the businesses behind them.
    There is NOTHING good that comes from cash shops.There is EVERYTHING wrong when your immersive world is interfered with by virtual sales.
    This is similar to Star Citizen/Crowfall,taking the homes/ships/plots,likely the most desired aspect of a game world and outright selling them.

You are suppose to be role playing within that world,everything is suppose to happen within that world and not outside the world.The developer is suppose to deliver the means so that living in that world and attaining ideas seems plausibly real.

If you cannot deliver a 100% even playing field,DON'T make games,i am not interested in your scummy money ideas.

I thought the idea of gaming has always been a simple one for the past 40 years,make a game,sell a game,that is it that is all.
    I agree cash shops are bad, I agree that in an emmersive world like this it's especially worse. 

But... 

Without it this game wouldn't get made, although I would prefer the dial down the complexity and finish the game then worry about adding stuff into it in patches
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Nyctelios said:
    Idk man, I really like the concept of fighting against all odds... And if they make the game so impossible to overcome as you claim then people would leave as soon they see no future in it.

The whole point behind EvE's success in their politics and drama is the flip flops and plot twists made by critical (sometimes even small) decisions.

If royalty in CoE is so supreme and powerful people won't keep playing, that's it.

That's like a very basic mechanic design flaw which I can't believe they would make.
    My opinion: The reason for EVE's success is because non-PvP activities have a competitive end game state. The reason why MMOs like Mortal, Darkfall, Life is Feudal struggle(d) with low population is because all actions outside of PvP is simply preparation for PvP.

If CoE provides non-PvP roles a competitive end game state the game will do well.
    KyleranMendel
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Nyctelios said:
    Idk man, I really like the concept of fighting against all odds... And if they make the game so impossible to overcome as you claim then people would leave as soon they see no future in it.

The whole point behind EvE's success in their politics and drama is the flip flops and plot twists made by critical (sometimes even small) decisions.

If royalty in CoE is so supreme and powerful people won't keep playing, that's it.

That's like a very basic mechanic design flaw which I can't believe they would make.
    My opinion: The reason for EVE's success is because non-PvP activities have a competitive end game state. The reason why MMOs like Mortal, Darkfall, Life is Feudal struggle(d) with low population is because all actions outside of PvP is simply preparation for PvP.

If CoE provides non-PvP roles a competitive end game state the game will do well.
    There is some validity to that, but I believe a lot of the issues relate to losing.  Groups bond together building a population center, spend all their energy in an effort to construct it, and then lose all that work overnight.  To some, that sparks a desire to go get it back, but to many it just results in logging off forever. I saw this first hand in Darkfall when 80% of my clan quit after losing our city.  I love the danger and the risk, but I’m in the minority. It will be interesting to see how the farmer in CoE reacts to having his  crops destroyed and his property burned.
    KyleranStaalBurgher

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited April 2019
    Nyctelios said:

There is some validity to that, but I believe a lot of the issues relate to losing.  Groups bond together building a population center, spend all their energy in an effort to construct it, and then lose all that work overnight.  To some, that sparks a desire to go get it back, but to many it just results in logging off forever. I saw this first hand in Darkfall when 80% of my clan quit after losing our city.  I love the danger and the risk, but I’m in the minority. It will be interesting to see how the farmer in CoE reacts to having his  crops destroyed and his property burned.
    Totally agree, in Shadowbane when our guild's town was largely destroyed in a 3 am raid the night before the actual fight was supposed to begin a large portion logged off never to return.

EVE has a large region of "safer space", high sec which players can set up shop or retreat to after a big loss in order to regroup or rebuild.

COE doesn't appear to have similar, in fact they force your character to stay always logged in and no out of game bank I'm aware of so no way to guarantee assets safety.

Giving players a way to manage their risk and provide a mostly safe haven to live in is one of EVEs biggest strengths and why a carebear like me spent 10 plus years there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon