Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Devs in Halnir Cave & Previews of New Things - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I've seen turn based games that look more engaging than this. I'm with everything else Pantheon is trying to do, but revisiting things that were bad because of technological limitation isn't a good look. Hopefully they'll rethink the approach as it doesn't hurt the pacing to make it look better.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Arterius said:
    I'm with the people that think it looks and plays terribly. Yes, it's not completely baked... but we're at 2019 and this is the trash they are delivering? It's not about flashy combat or perfect animations. It's about how utterly boring that class looks and how utterly boring the gameplay in general looks.

That shit used to pass back in the day for sure. But it is not, at least in the case of this game, passing anymore.

I expect a fanboy response from DMKano about how it looks great to him.
    Combat can look boring it matters how it plays when you get your hands on it. Their are plenty of games I have watched on Twitch and thought that they looked boring but once I play it myself I find that it is complete opposite. I think this will very much be one of those games. 
    I think that it's painful for people that were fans of EQ and Brad to see this game and the response to this game. Another round of promises after Vanguard and another round of people believing in the project. Prepare for disappointment, either the first day or within the first month.

You are saying that it looks like it will be a game that looks boring, but will end up being fun. You are the one making predictions and we both agree that it looks boring. 
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Arterius said:
    I'm with the people that think it looks and plays terribly. Yes, it's not completely baked... but we're at 2019 and this is the trash they are delivering? It's not about flashy combat or perfect animations. It's about how utterly boring that class looks and how utterly boring the gameplay in general looks.

That shit used to pass back in the day for sure. But it is not, at least in the case of this game, passing anymore.

Combat can look boring it matters how it plays when you get your hands on it. Their are plenty of games I have watched on Twitch and thought that they looked boring but once I play it myself I find that it is complete opposite. I think this will very much be one of those games. 
    I think that it's painful for people that were fans of EQ and Brad to see this game and the response to this game. Another round of promises after Vanguard and another round of people believing in the project. Prepare for disappointment, either the first day or within the first month.

You are saying that it looks like it will be a game that looks boring, but will end up being fun. You are the one making predictions and we both agree that it looks boring. 
     Well I think watching someone else play any game is boring to me. Guess that is why I am not a twitch fan.
     I guess I not enough of a twitch expect to make the jump from decided that a character must be boring to play because it looks boring to me in a twitch feed.
    Of course if I did make this connection then I have to find another hobby as almost every game I watched on one of the feeds looks some what boring.

Think I wait like I usually do for the game to be release and then try a trial of the game and see if its boring then.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited April 2019

Simple solution: don't play it then, do not come here and talk about it, don't ever mention the game again, don't even think about the game again and move the hell on. Some of us love this game and the style of this game and don't need you pissing in our cheerios.
    Mylan12
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Blueliner said:

Simple solution: don't play it then, do not come here and talk about it, don't ever mention the game again, don't even think about the game again and move the hell on. Some of us love this game and the style of this game and don't need you pissing in our cheerios.
    That is a simple solution. People that think the game is below average will not play it. Brilliant!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Glad to see Brasse back it , I just lost hope this project after her handling of Trions marketing and failure to respond to the community. The whole "if you dont like then dont play scenario" is permanetly seared into my brain. I won't ever support a project she is appart of.
    Welcome to the boards! :)
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328

So the idea is to continually show spoiler content , up until beta ? Really not following these incremental stages of spoiling the game content, not only for this game but other game studios as well. I like Chamelot Unchained approach so far in showing actual progress, instead of devs tooting there own horn with hour long video blogs.

Call me old fashioned, but this doesn't impress me at all.

Wow, you sound incredibly bitter over a dev team showing their work in progress. How is showing off new features and the stuff they've been working on considered spoiler content? All they're doing is showing off stuff like animations, spell graphics, improved models, shading, lighting, Improved UI elements, etc, etc, etc. That is the purpose behind their short, less than 1 hour streams.

your reading comprehension made me sound bitter, I was expressing an opinion. How are "animations" a new feature in the realm of 3d development ? How are 3d models improved in mo-cap, or does the team even have mo-cap ? If no mo-cap, I would say the models are inferior to even Age of Conan, which used mo-cap. 

Having improvements to technology, I can get excited about, but basic animaing and 3d model creation, after over 30 + years of 3d gaming as whole,  I can't apologize for not getting excited for basic functions in a 3d space. Maybe people can get excited about these things because they are "fan" , for which I am not. 

I loved Vanguard SOH , Loved the scope of the landscape, which pushed technology , as for Patheon so far, it is just seems like a more poly version of EQ 1., which is no way a bad thing for the fans of EQ1 , but as I am a fan of mmorpg genre, I'm looking for a bit more in cutting edge or refreshing. 

You didn't answer my question but that's ok.

If you have followed every video they have put out(which it sounds like you haven't), you would see the progress the game has made. Simply put - Each video has shown large improvements in the areas they're showcasing.

Some people in this thread come off as if they think this dev team has hundreds of millions of dollars to blow and a staff of 200+ to work on it when in reality they don't. Cannot compare apples to oranges. The game has come a long way since their first video and you'd see that if you have followed them. If this style of game isn't up your alley, than there's plenty other ones out there for you. They've come out and said this particular game and style is more so for a niche crowd and not for the masses. Take a glander at all the mmo's that have come out in the last 10 or so years. They've all been rinse and repeats of each other, trying to cater to the masses and for the most part, they've almost all tanked with the exception of just a couple. For starters, I'm happy Pantheon is targeting a specific niche crowd and not catering to the masses, in other words not handing shit out on a silver platter that's very easy like todays generation of mmo's. Easy, low time commitment mmo's = zero longevity, zero carrot at the end of the stick = ping pong from game to game. Proof is in the pudding.

As for "cutting edge" or "refreshing", I think it's a little early to tell yet but I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything ground breaking nor are they trying for that.

They went back on the whole "niche" target audience a few years back. Creating a niche game hasnt been the goal for awhile now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Arterius said:

This is why I don't have alot of hope for Pantheon....I played EQ1 for 5 years or so and left around 2004 to play WoW.....A few years later when EQ1 went f2p I came back to look at it again....I could play my old characters and basically do anything I could before and it was free now...win/win right?...Wrong....I found the game very boring when I came back....It was now very tedious (despite things that increased XP gains) and just overall boring....They even had level boosts where you could make characters level 85 with insane gear....still wasnt fun.....I just think for many of us this style of play is outdated.
    [Deleted User]Mikeha
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Good update. Thanks.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Arterius said:

This is why I don't have alot of hope for Pantheon....I played EQ1 for 5 years or so and left around 2004 to play WoW.....A few years later when EQ1 went f2p I came back to look at it again....I could play my old characters and basically do anything I could before and it was free now...win/win right?...Wrong....I found the game very boring when I came back....It was now very tedious (despite things that increased XP gains) and just overall boring....They even had level boosts where you could make characters level 85 with insane gear....still wasnt fun.....I just think for many of us this style of play is outdated.
    Well, EQ was always more about being a chatroom/social hangout as the main element rather than filled with great gameplay.  Now it's just an empty, abandoned forum.

TwoTubes said:
    They went back on the whole "niche" target audience a few years back. Creating a niche game hasnt been the goal for awhile now.

Pantheon really needs to stop trying to drive on the median and clearly pick a direction.  By clearly, I mean they need to make it clear to the public and plant their flag.
    I see this game heading into one of those "pleases no one" categories if they keep trying to string along the old-school mentality while proclaiming all these cool, new features.

Most of the old-school club fantasizes that diving back into old-school gameplay will somehow revive the community-oriented atmosphere.
    One thing that's obvious from places like the EQ TLPs and P99 is that the concept of a great community is a nostalgic pipe dream.  Even though those places are full of "old EQ players", they are bubbling cesspools.
    As I've said before, the only way those old communities remained tolerable was through hardcore, heavy-handed moderation by GMs, etc., which seems unlikely for a small indie crew.
  • PsychologiPsychologi Member UncommonPosts: 4
    can be my little ponies shitting roses in fortnite graphics for all i care if gameplay is good
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Too much like EQ1, too little like Vanguard:SoH. The classes in VG were so much better, so much more intricate and involving and it feels like several steps backwards to return to the more boring and one dimensional EQ versions.