Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fully functioning City of Heroes code released, public server now open!

Comments

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited April 2019
    Horusra said:
    Thought this site only allowed legal servers to be posted?
    No one posted any info on any server, i can say the moons made of green cheese also, don't mean shit... if you want to go out there and research what the moon is made of its on you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If i bought the game but can't play it because some copyright law protects the business and not the consumer to me that is WRONG and like stealing my money.This is imo also why so many developers now aiming for the F2p model,take your money in form of cash shop and owe you nothing as far as the game goes because you never bought the game in f2p models.
    KyleranGdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Jeeebus, if you are going to steal something, man up about it.  NC Soft owns the property and has all the proper patents/trademarks/etc, and this property was stolen.  You are playing without their consent, without paying them, on a server you know is illegal.

You are an anonymous poster, at least have the mental fortitude (balls) to anonymously admit you are stealing something. You are not Robin Hood (apologies if that is your real name), and your child is not going to starve if you don't play this game.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    gervaise1 said:
    Ethics.

Too many people posting here have none.

The fact that so many of you think IP theft is "cool" and "acceptable" because it allows you play a game you liked that went away, is the absolute height of entitled thinking.
    The problem is - is it?

CoH was sold to players. And were it has been tested in courts software has been defined to be a product. Giving it all the IP and trademark protections of any other products but also giving customers the same consumer protections.

Lets take an analogy. You buy a car from Toyota, Ford, whoever. A car is another product. And one day the company close down the production line and as a result your car is no longer supported.

If you carry on driving around are you guilty of theft? If you use third party parts to repair your car are you guilty of theft? 

And if you want a non-hardware example think about music you might have bought from Apple say - if they close down tomorrow and you carry on playing your tunes - using an emulator - would you be guilty of theft?

When CoH etc. launched companies wanted the upfront money and they wanted a monthly sub as well to cover - as was said at the time - the very real expense involved in buying and running servers. 

For companies one of the attractions of "Gaming as a Service" is that - as it is with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify etc. you are not buying the content. It represents a very clear divide between ownership and renting. This was not the case when CoH, SWG etc. launched. 

To be clear I am not suggesting that everyone playing today bought the game. And I don't condone them. Some people may have bought the game though - I did but I'm not playing - and as a result there are consumer as well as company issues at stake.

Its not really valid to compare buying a car to an online game. You do not have to log into Ford every time you drive your car as your car is like a single player game self contained. As you own the whole game,  I don't know of any single and non online games that made you stop playing if the company that owned the IP stop supporting it or went out of business. 
     A game like COH, you only own the client that is install on your computer. They can't stop you from running it even if it does nothing. Most of the game is on the online servers and you did not buy the server software.
     On games like this, they often do nothing about people making their own server software (EMU) and using your client to access it. As the legalities are a little murky on this. But using stolen server code is not the same thing and the legalities are not murky there so it depends on what NCSoft decides to do.
    Kyleran
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Utinni said:
    Hariken said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Horusra said:
    Thought this site only allowed legal servers to be posted?
    The relevant site ground rules:
    • We are only allowing the discussion of private/emulated servers for games that are canceled or shutdown.
    • We reserve the right to disallow the discussion of private/emulated servers for a particular game (or the topic altogether) at any time. We don't want to get into any legal issues, so if a studio complains, we're going to have to take action.
    • These discussions may only take place within this subforum. 
    Yes.  All this discussion is doing is giving free advertising to an operation based on pirated code.  Sounds like a potential legal entanglement to me.  Selling stolen goods is called fencing.  How is a service based on stolen technology any different, legally?  How many people would even know about 'private' COH servers without this site and others?  This should have been shut down days ago.

If NCSoft requests these threads be taken down it appears MMORPG.com will comply.

Not sure MassivelyOP, Kotaku and many others will though. 

Not really possible to put the genie back in the bottle. 
    I'M kind of shocked that they are letting people even post about this here. I got a ban warning over doing this. I guess when it comes to COX the rules don't apply.
    Yea I remember that happening when people talked about p99 until the server was allowed. This definitely isn't allowed. They're basically promoting an illegal server by allowing the threads :)
    P99 is for a game that is still live while CoH is not, that would be the difference here regarding the prior mentioned rules for the site.
    MadFrenchie
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mylan12 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Ethics.

The fact that so many of you think IP theft is "cool" and "acceptable" because it allows you play a game you liked that went away, is the absolute height of entitled thinking.
    The problem is - is it?

CoH was sold to players. And were it has been tested in courts software has been defined to be a product. Giving it all the IP and trademark protections of any other products but also giving customers the same consumer protections.

Lets take an analogy. You buy a car from Toyota, Ford, whoever. A car is another product. And one day the company close down the production line and as a result your car is no longer supported.

If you carry on driving around are you guilty of theft? If you use third party parts to repair your car are you guilty of theft? 

And if you want a non-hardware example think about music you might have bought from Apple say - if they close down tomorrow and you carry on playing your tunes - using an emulator - would you be guilty of theft?

When CoH etc. launched companies wanted the upfront money and they wanted a monthly sub as well to cover - as was said at the time - the very real expense involved in buying and running servers. 

For companies one of the attractions of "Gaming as a Service" is that - as it is with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify etc. you are not buying the content. It represents a very clear divide between ownership and renting. This was not the case when CoH, SWG etc. launched. 

To be clear I am not suggesting that everyone playing today bought the game. And I don't condone them. Some people may have bought the game though - I did but I'm not playing - and as a result there are consumer as well as company issues at stake.

Its not really valid to compare buying a car to an online game. You do not have to log into Ford every time you drive your car as your car is like a single player game self contained. As you own the whole game,  I don't know of any single and non online games that made you stop playing if the company that owned the IP stop supporting it or went out of business. 
     A game like COH, you only own the client that is install on your computer. They can't stop you from running it even if it does nothing. Most of the game is on the online servers and you did not buy the server software.
     On games like this, they often do nothing about people making their own server software (EMU) and using your client to access it. As the legalities are a little murky on this. But using stolen server code is not the same thing and the legalities are not murky there so it depends on what NCSoft decides to do.
    In law both software and cars are "products". So - in law - the comparison is valid. And the issue of support and third party spares is one that concerns many companies e.g. inkjet cartridge refills - HP or Epsom etc. "owns" the design after all.

It was in anticipation of such a comment however that I added the reference to online music purchases. And Walmart did indeed stop supporting the music it had sold. And - as one would expect of Walmart took steps to migrate their customers' purchases to another provider.

Another examlple: Lowe's (a US based retailer) has just stopped supporting its own brand of smart lighting - and is taking steps to "migrate" its customers to, maybe, Samsung. (And as far as timescale goes modern lights have lifespans of 15,000 or even 25,000 hours - so many years.)

Would it have been OK if Walmart and Lowe's had done what NCSoft has done on many occasions - and other companies as well to be fair - and "abandon" their customers? 

To re-iterate I am not supporting people who never bought the game playing but simply pointing out that its not simply about the rights of the company but also about the rights of customers. And that if one is not careful we lead ourselves into the slaughter house. 
    Gdemami
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited April 2019
    The "homecoming" Team has their own new discord too

GM JimmyToday at 5:47 PM
    Hey all! This is the last official announcement we will be making in here. Please see our server update for April 28th here: https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,783

And you can join our Discord here for future updates: https://discord.gg/X4fWUDV Homecoming Server Update (April 28th): Indomitable & Everlasting!

Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited April 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Mylan12 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Ethics.

The problem is - is it?

In law both software and cars are "products". So - in law - the comparison is valid. And the issue of support and third party spares is one that concerns many companies e.g. inkjet cartridge refills - HP or Epsom etc. "owns" the design after all.

It was in anticipation of such a comment however that I added the reference to online music purchases. And Walmart did indeed stop supporting the music it had sold. And - as one would expect of Walmart took steps to migrate their customers' purchases to another provider.

Another examlple: Lowe's (a US based retailer) has just stopped supporting its own brand of smart lighting - and is taking steps to "migrate" its customers to, maybe, Samsung. (And as far as timescale goes modern lights have lifespans of 15,000 or even 25,000 hours - so many years.)

Would it have been OK if Walmart and Lowe's had done what NCSoft has done on many occasions - and other companies as well to be fair - and "abandon" their customers? 

To re-iterate I am not supporting people who never bought the game playing but simply pointing out that its not simply about the rights of the company but also about the rights of customers. And that if one is not careful we lead ourselves into the slaughter house. 
    I never used the walmart service but I assume if its the same then you purchase a program to access the music on walmart servers and not the actually songs themselves and you didn't locally store the music? 
     Its nice of lowes to do what they did but I would bet they had companies wanting to take on these customers.
     Since you mentioned "in law" I assume you are a lawyer and knowledgeable or an expert in this area.
     Anyway I know this is a hopeless argument, if people want to steal then they are going to steal.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Arterius said:
    as someone who has never played City of Heroes should I start playing now?
    Might as well, just to see what all the fuss is about. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mylan12 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Mylan12 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Ethics.

The problem is - is it?

I never used the walmart service but I assume if its the same then you purchase a program to access the music on walmart servers and not the actually songs themselves and you didn't locally store the music? 
     Its nice of lowes to do what they did but I would bet they had companies wanting to take on these customers.
     Since you mentioned "in law" I assume you are a lawyer and knowledgeable or an expert in this area.
     Anyway I know this is a hopeless argument, if people want to steal then they are going to steal.

Nope Walmart just sold songs, same as Apple do.

As far as I know Lowes - who started selling their stuff in 2012 I believe - as far as I am aware they didn't have companies waiting to buy their stuff; its a current topic you can check it out but they sold a product that needed their servers/stuff to support.

Yes I have had legal training - through management - to do with product law, IP and so on. (Its a requirement.) The stuff I have raised though is well documented.

I will leave you with this thought however.

If NCSoft had closed CoH 1 month after putting CoH on sale would that have been OK? (Consumers would actually have a good shot at claiming miss-selling btw). What about 6 months? A year? Would it be OK to cut and paste the arguments defending NCSoft's "rights" above to counter any angst?

As you say people do steal and companies do have a right to protect themselves - I could put forward a typical company argument! As consumers though we also have rights and in our rush to judge we need to be careful.

Gdemami
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited April 2019
    Arterius said:
    I wouldn't you should wait to see what NCsoft does because it's basically stolen software no matter what people are saying here. And it runs like crap anyways.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    These servers are as close to the original game as possible, however, they all run like ... Well ... Poop. Long queues and endless amounts of server crashes. That's to be expected, I suppose, for a private server where thousands of players are trying to log in.

After playing around in the sewers, I truly miss the game as it once was. Seriously a great game -- even now, CoH is still leagues better than other superhero-based MMOs.
    dragonlee66Blaze_Rocker
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Everyone arguing the legal issue forget that literally no one cares.

Like no one. At all. It's a dead as hell game and most of the player base straight up stopped playing in 2009 anyhow lol.

I played on the most populated server Virtue and it was a damned ghost town.

Point is NCsoft wasn't even making money off the damn game w hen it was around official.
    They won't gain shit aside from ip protection on a ip that they have zero desire to care about since cryptic and they parted ways so long ago.

I bet until the year 2077 (the estimated time frame for ship of heroes will be released)
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Now there was on one of the numerous Discord a group openly soliciting funds for a server they have not yet even launched. This is not the same group as the one doing it without asking for money. They need resources though like servers and such because even 4 servers are not enough. Those all came down in a hurry, too many people trying to play. 

Not sure how this is all going to work out but NCSoft is quietly biding their time. They don't need to do anything, these different group supporters are fighting among themselves and are going to sabotage each other in the end. Hope it will not all be smoking ruins in the end. No point setting up the single player server because the whole fun of City of Heroes was playing with others.
    Scot
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited April 2019
    there is about 4000 people Queued right now for COH, this isnt counting the 3000 playes on each server. thats 2 servers total 6000 Plus Q players 4000 = 10000 people wanting to play COH on a Saturday night 
    * $15 each and we have $150,000 left on the table. Too bad NCSoft thought CoH was not profitable enough...

Sure, many may just be nostalgia log-ins and probably will leave after their fix, but not all of these players :)

For those calling this server "illegal"... Not until NCSoft does something. THEY are the ones with the gripe, not you. Unless an assault victim presses charges, nothing happens. Same thing here.

PS: also... How many taking the high road here have NEVER exceeded the speed limit? Not "speed suggestion", but speed limit.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    AlBQuirky said:
    there is about 4000 people Queued right now for COH, this isnt counting the 3000 playes on each server. thats 2 servers total 6000 Plus Q players 4000 = 10000 people wanting to play COH on a Saturday night 
    * $15 each and we have $150,000 left on the table. Too bad NCSoft thought CoH was not profitable enough...

Sure, many may just be nostalgia log-ins and probably will leave after their fix, but not all of these players :)

For those calling this server "illegal"... Not until NCSoft does something. THEY are the ones with the gripe, not you. Unless an assault victim presses charges, nothing happens. Same thing here.

PS: also... How many taking the high road here have NEVER exceeded the speed limit? Not "speed suggestion", but speed limit.
    Sorry mate, but no. When an assault victim doesn’t press charges it doesn’t mean a crime wasn’t commited, that is the right comparison with this situation. And most taking the high road here have exceeded the speed limit several times I am sure, but when caught they haven’t actively been trying to do it again while negotiating with the police about it.

If there is a solution that will make it possible to play CoX again legally, awesome. If there isn’t, too bad, playing an MMORPG isn’t a right.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkyBaalzharon
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    AlBQuirky said:

Not a great analogy, better might be who here has never taken office supplies or made photocopies or sent faxes for personal use. 

No one is perfect, but few would defend such actions as noble or be proud of it, only gamers seem to feel like they are fighting for their "right" to steal.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Servers were actually fairly stable today until about 7pm EST. I played around quite a bit and it really reminded me of just how much I missed CoH. The community is still top-notch, as well. I just really wish this was more "official", however, I very much doubt NCSoft would ever launch a CoH classic server again.
    Phry
    Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Not a great analogy, better might be who here has never taken office supplies or made photocopies or sent faxes for personal use. 

No one is perfect, but few would defend such actions as noble or be proud of it, only gamers seem to feel like they are fighting for their "right" to steal.
    We humans are superb rationalizers, eh?
    Kyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Just for kicks...

The original City of Heroes Trailer:

If you've got about 3 minutes, give it a look :)

Azaron_NightbladeBlaze_Rocker[Deleted User]mmolou

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Is the only CoH emulator server running, or are there others? I've tried Googling for a list, but nothing comes up.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

The servers have been running excellently. They've pushed multiple updates and fixes which have greatly improved stability. They opened a LLC (soon to be non-profit) to accept donations in order to keep the servers open. They met their goal within 5 minutes of the announcement and shut down donations afterwards. They raised almst $7,000 in less than 5 minutes of the announcement.

They even laid out a complete list of costs and why they needed what they did. Once the goal was met, they shut down the option to donate. They only needed what they asked for, and would not accept anything else.

MadFrenchie
  • apkdodo2apkdodo2 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2019
    Personally I think if a company is going to shut down all operation of an MMO they should be forced to release the code themselves.  They are walking away from it anyway as it isn't making them enough money to keep it going.  I could see putting in a stipulation that any server found to be making money off of it though could be brought up on charges though.  

Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited August 2019
    Arterius said:
    If you are at all interested in superhero MMORPGs it is well worth a look. It still has many features absent in other games of the genre live today.

The design of the game puts less focus on the need for specific group compositions in most of the content by providing a wide range of viable approach. You can play what you find entertaining rather than feel obliged to select out of a handful of effective options. Coupled with the existence of random mission generators, via the police radio and newspaper on the hero and villain side respectively, pick up groups are easy to form and modify on the fly as people come and go, with always being more rewarding than solo play.

One has the option to modify the game to suit the capabilities of their character depending on the number and difficulty of opponents you are capable of facing with rewards adjusted accordingly. Players can create their own missions others can play, of particular use to role-playing groups that want to have story missions tailored to them.

The setting is original, and does a better job of creating an immersive comic book story and environment than any other title I have played to date, even though the others have been based on major comic book licenses or established table-top RPG settings.

The positives of the game just go on and on, and that doesn't yet take into account what is generally a welcoming and positive player population such that even the most random of encounters is much more likely to lead to a pleasant experience than not.

Downsides are that the aesthetics are subpar by today's standard, and if one doesn't like tab-targeting combat they won't love it here. There is also a good deal of moving about from one mission to the next, putting the travel power you get early on to good... and frequent... use.

If you decide to give it a go the Torchbearer server can be a bit laggy for me at times, being the first and likely most populated. Everlasting is the unofficial RP server, and Indomitable the unofficial PvP server.
    gunklackerAlBQuirky
  • jarekxjarekx Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    cool