Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

watch this

2»

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Gotta say the game is starting to look pretty nice visually. The animation placeholders are ruining the combat still, but I liked the new animation showcase. Spell effects are nice as well, maybe except that cleric shield spell, that's bit too much imo.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    bcbully said:
    Wizardry said:
    So if i am showcasing what my game is doing,what the systems are doing,they are  not doing that.
    Not into this banner idea,buffs.debuffs should be with the players classes and not on some pole/flag.

Right away the npc's were just standing/floating there motionless.
    Aside from the banner there is no talk about what the combat and classes are doing.I am not seeing ANY group work,just a banner and each player playing solo.So no this is not good and has not evolved as a game,this is just EQ again.
    What bothers me is mention chat seemingly didn't like slower combat.It is not about SPEED it SHOULD be about purpose ,action and reaction and not just whack 1-2 dead.I do NOT want to play ARPG's...ever,they are garbage designs for a rpg game.

This video actually bummed me out,i would rather not see anything yet if they are just going to show me FAKE grouping,dropping a banner down does not make it feel like a group.
    Where is the player to player combos,WHY is dude's swords on fire,is there ANY elemental effects/reason in the systems?

This is just how do i say it,,low level game design.I need to see MUCH better.

Hooooooooly shit, Wizardry didn't like a game!  That's a first.
    Hooooooly shit I agree with everything he said :O
    Let me guess:  Not enough open world, full-loot PvP for you?
    I’ve never been a “full loot” guy. Not enough excitement. Looks like the same thing I was doing 15 years ago but slower. 
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I've watched. Now ?  Getting to the point where it is a never-ending everquest of alpha... It is hard to get excited , when no real date is included and the fact that "when it's done"  kind of a meh excuse at this point
    Yeah people keeping wanting to see whats going on in the development so they have a stream and then people complain because they have too many streams. Sort of a can't win no matter what they do.
     Also they show combat in one stream, people complain that they didn't show something else. Next one they show something else and people complain they didn't show or explain the combat well enough.
     I have decided some people just like to complain about everything. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Mylan12 said:
    I've watched. Now ?  Getting to the point where it is a never-ending everquest of alpha... It is hard to get excited , when no real date is included and the fact that "when it's done"  kind of a meh excuse at this point
    Yeah people keeping wanting to see whats going on in the development so they have a stream and then people complain because they have too many streams. Sort of a can't win no matter what they do.
     Also they show combat in one stream, people complain that they didn't show something else. Next one they show something else and people complain they didn't show or explain the combat well enough.
    What most people complain about is a lack of a target delivery date,  a chronic issue with most of these indie dev efforts, regardless of funding.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I like that classes build up resource points then have other skills that use them up.  Shows that combat will be tactically focused, not just "use you biggest dps skills as soon as they hit their cooldown" button mashing.  Good game design should be that you are always choosing which skill to use next.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I could understand your frustration BUT,

The development team is forced to pay for it themselfs since large companies would redirect the game and turn it into pure crap like the other 300 games on the list. This had forced Visionary Realms to advertise way too early for funding reasons.

It's most likely being developed on par for timing, just needed to showcase earlier.

Now my two cents:
    - Their going for ultimate graphics, when coding is not their strong point :( 
    - All the time up until now were spent on character balance. 
    - Now that they created their "standard" they can pump out a game world faster.
    - With a "standard" they can potentially bring on more programmers.

In order to be a true mmorpg, it better have at least 6 months worth of content (for the average player).... not 20 days like the 300 games on the list !!
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Not a fan of gimmicky boss fights with phases, those always feel overdesigned (ie lack of tactical freedom) and better suited for an railroaded story rpg than a mmo. Make a worlds not stories, create freedom not designed experiences.
    Anyways, good stuff and bad stuff..  certainly lacking all of the finer details and depth of Everquest at this point, but hoping it will appear during some point of development.
    [Deleted User]
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Some minor remarks:
    - you need some automatic item compare. Easy too implement.
    - Don't overdo effects. So far it looked nice but more would be too much imo
    - why do you spoil the named strategy before the fight ? That's anti climatic
    - Decouple the beams between the named one and the group member from the weapon. Its annoying to see it go up/down.

No hype on my part so far as you have no fixed/release dates. But you are making progress.
    [Deleted User]Mendel
    I didnt like the look of the walls.  Too shiny.  Need to wash it out a bit.
    Mendel
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    It almost seems like the longer they wait, the worse it will be for them...People are already unsure if this throwback gameplay will fly in 2019, how much harder will it be in 2021 or later?
    MendelKyleranjimmywolf
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited April 2019
    svann said:
    I didnt like the look of the walls.  Too shiny.  Need to wash it out a bit.
    They did go a bit overboard on the lighting and reflections thing, didn't they?

Shiny walls (and floors) seem antiseptic, not lived in.  Realistic lighting, stylized textures.  Is that really what they are trying to deliver?  It seems a bit unmatched, from an artistic standpoint.

Edit to add:  Even some of the people in the video commented about the torch in the middle of the doorway.  Is the purpose of that to put in something inconvenient in every place?  How about realistically catching clothing on fire as the characters pass by?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Kyleran said:
    Mylan12 said:
    What most people complain about is a lack of a target delivery date,  a chronic issue with most of these indie dev efforts, regardless of funding.

Yeah but most of the time the publisher sets the delivery date, not the developer. This is why we get so many games from major companies that are unfinished and often full of bugs.
    Mylan12 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mylan12 said:

Yeah but most of the time the publisher sets the delivery date, not the developer. This is why we get so many games from major companies that are unfinished and often full of bugs.
    Most publishers establish a budget for building a game. When the money runs out, it's time to ship, indie devs are not immune from the burn rate, and a day of reckoning is coming.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Mylan12 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mylan12 said:

Most publishers establish a budget for building a game. When the money runs out, it's time to ship, indie devs are not immune from the burn rate, and a day of reckoning is coming.
    So the old mmorpg saying "its done when its done" never really applied. 
    It's more like "it's done when were sick of no return on investment".

I'll agree on that.

I think Brad and VRealms motto is "its done when its done".... I hope !
     That will be honorable.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    the thing i hate about self motivation or " when it done " is for the same work in 8 to 12 hrs a day the amount work 2 or more people will get anything done even if their doing the same thing is vastly different based on  what they feel is making progress. 

example is the all random article you can find hating on EA and others studios  for their unhealthy crunch phases  or 70+ hr weeks trying make those games in 2-5 years. now we got a self police group that cares more about their healthy ( which is fine ) then their need to be done before X years time.

the reason i mention that as a negative is to address the concerns of when will it get done? and them saying when it ready. in a bubble every action they take feels like stress, working hard, making great progress but are they really? when will the amount time pass far exceeded what the delver and  they justifiably so say " we tried " but we get a half ass game we feel could been made X years ago.

edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Mylan12 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mylan12 said:

So the old mmorpg saying "its done when its done" never really applied. 
    It's more like "it's done when were sick of no return on investment".

I'll agree on that.

I think Brad and VRealms motto is "its done when its done".... I hope !
     That will be honorable.
    Well, the SC folks have found a way to keep the free money flowing eternally ever in, so they really don't have any pressure to finish.

Everyone else probably isn't so fortunate.

edited April 2019
    Mylan12 said:
    Not sure anyone complains about to many streams but more the lack of any tangible release schedule or goal. 

The desire for nostalgia MMO gameplay will not last forever and they need to capitalize on it while the fires are hot.  The game currently looks so far off from being close to ready for release that slipping into 2022 and beyond is very possible right now.

When you have been talking for years and teasing for years then sooner or later people get tired of being teased as in life.
    Well, that last part about being teased for years,
    I think what could happen is people stop following development completely... however the magic can be easily restored a few weeks before release just the same.

Infact I think this is what's happening to me.  Still to this day I haven't studied the details because it's always been known its far far away. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Albatroes said:
    "And so far this will be only for PC"

"So far, yes"

Just make it PC only please....As we see with games like FFXIV, consoles just hold mmorpgs back overall.
    Nothing about Pantheon would be held back on a console. FFXIV runs deliciously well on base PS4.

Also, next gen will be even closer to modern PCs so by the time Pantheon fully launches, if popular they could port it to next gen. If anything, XIV showed how well traditional mmorpgs work on consoles.

I don't believe it will ever happen, and that is OK. Exclusives move platform sales and PC should have their own exclusives too, It always has.
    Keyboard and mouse controls is what separates the platforms and why FFIV suffers some due to having to mesh well with a controller, same for ESO.

That's true if you play it in that way that requires heavy mouse/kb use. I dont have any issues on those games on console. Not even on WoW using the console port UI addon that remaps the entire game to a controler. kb/m is really only an advantage in pvp shooters and RTS. PvE games is all about adaptability, and preference of course.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I understand everything they're trying to do and it's cool, but is not varying the animations necessary for the nostalgia?

It looks like they're recreating a flaw that was due to technological limitation 20 years later. I don't think having characters move in a more dynamic fashion would hurt the concept. It would look and feel better. What they've done with the particle effects is great. Keep going with the animations and movement.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kyleran said:
    Albatroes said:

"So far, yes"

Just make it PC only please....As we see with games like FFXIV, consoles just hold mmorpgs back overall.
    Nothing about Pantheon would be held back on a console. FFXIV runs deliciously well on base PS4.

Also, next gen will be even closer to modern PCs so by the time Pantheon fully launches, if popular they could port it to next gen. If anything, XIV showed how well traditional mmorpgs work on consoles.

I don't believe it will ever happen, and that is OK. Exclusives move platform sales and PC should have their own exclusives too, It always has.
    Keyboard and mouse controls is what separates the platforms and why FFIV suffers some due to having to mesh well with a controller, same for ESO.

That's true if you play it in that way that requires heavy mouse/kb use. I dont have any issues on those games on console. Not even on WoW using the console port UI addon that remaps the entire game to a controler. kb/m is really only an advantage in pvp shooters and RTS. PvE games is all about adaptability, and preference of course.
    I dont play on consoles, but Ive noticed in every pc mmo Ive ever played that the difference between movement using mouse vs movement using keys is like night and day.  I use mouse movement and could never go back to using the keyboard.  Its just terrible.  Reason I mention is that Id imagine moving with a controller would be very similar to moving with keys on a keyboard.  You are still using buttons, right?  That cant be good.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2019
    svann said:
    Kyleran said:
    Albatroes said:

"So far, yes"

I dont play on consoles, but Ive noticed in every pc mmo Ive ever played that the difference between movement using mouse vs movement using keys is like night and day.  I use mouse movement and could never go back to using the keyboard.  Its just terrible.  Reason I mention is that Id imagine moving with a controller would be very similar to moving with keys on a keyboard.  You are still using buttons, right?  That cant be good.
    no moving a character on the controler stick has a 360 degree. What you described happened back in the Super nintendo era when movement was mapped to the Dpad that works like WASD. Unless it's a really bad game that still uses the old 4 directional way.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    OG_Zorvan said:
    If that's the best McQuaid's coke addled brain could come up with, no thanks. Maybe he should switch to LSD, then we'll see some real visions from that knob.
    Harsh...but Brad's habits and how he looted the money from the first round of crowdfunding back in 2013-2014 for Pantheon are what has kept from kicking in. He simply isn't a trustworthy person.

That said, the game seems to be coming along very nicely and I'll be playing it once it is fully released. I did't get into MMORPG's until around 2011-2012 so I never played any of the "oldschool" games when they were in their prime. I'd like to try out a more modern version of that style which is what Pantheon seems to be aiming for.
    kjempff