Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favorite RTS?

ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
So, keeping in line with my other posts, I would love to know what RTS got you interested in that genre and really hooked you. I know, I know, you are probably saying, "ShaddyDaddy, this forum is for MMORPGs! What are you doing bringing RTS games into this highly pure, never talk about anything but MMO forum?". Well, I would say to you, I live life on the edge. Kidding of course. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your responses! For me, it was WC 2. That was my first and I loved it. I grew to Command and Conquer after that and, needless to say, I was hooked! So, what was your favorite(s)?

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Dune managed to remain my favorite through out the ages. 
    ShaddyDaddyBrotherMaynard
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I actually ended up playing this game at one point (Don't remember the time frame) but as I recall there was management with trying to get spice and not get eaten by the sandworm? Correct me if i'm mis-remembering.
    ConstantineMerus
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Warcraft 2 is probably my favorite.  Starcraft and Warcraft 3 were both technical improvements but the serious-to-emo content wasn't as much my cup of tea.  I get frustrated with the controls in the Stronghold series, though I love the cheesy bad guy NPCs.  Dungeons 2 is also a lot of fun but the fact that the RTS controls don't work underground really irritated me; haven't gotten to Dungeons 3 or War For The Overworld yet.  Trash is also a fun game concept but their lack of budget shows.

I've played a fair number of no-combat games which are like the base-building side of an RTS, but I'll assume those aren't included in the thread topic.
    ShaddyDaddy
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Dune in the old days.
    Company of Heroes 2 of the more recent ones. 
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
    I actually ended up playing this game at one point (Don't remember the time frame) but as I recall there was management with trying to get spice and not get eaten by the sandworm? Correct me if i'm mis-remembering.
    You are correct good Sir. 
    ShaddyDaddy

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    The original age of empires 2 and Total war rome 1.
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited April 2019
    Originally, Dune 2. Brilliant game and completely revolutionary back then.

Then came Command & Conquer (the hype before its release was almost as intense as that of the original Doom) and to this day it is to me the best RTS game ever made.

Even though it was originally only in VGA (unlike Warcraft 2's SVGA a couple of months later), everything about C&C was perfect. The two factions played completely differently, in total they had only three units in common - the basic rifleman, the bazooka soldier and in one or two special missions the commando unit. All the rest was unique to each side, giving you two entirely different gameplay experiences.

Even today, Act on Instinct is the most badass intro song I have ever experienced and its very first (spoken) line brings back vivid memories. C&C soundtrack is among the best in gaming.

immodiumShaddyDaddyUngood
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    There was the occasional wormsign that popped up on screen and then you either had to micromanage your harvesters to evade the worm, or if your army was strong enough, you could fight the worm. It had a huge health pool, but especially at later stages it wasn't too hard to destroy it (or to chase it off, I think it usually disappeared as its health dropped too low).

It was often better to fight to worm, as the game's AI had a tendency to wait for a carryall (if you had built them) to pick up your harvester when you clicked 'return', instead of actually moving the unit. In many cases by the time the carryall arrived, the worm had already eaten the motionless harvester.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited April 2019
    Syndicate if you class it as an RTS is my all time favourite.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War also worth a mention.

C&C did have an epic soundtrack.

Ungoodrertez

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I grew up on C&C and Warcraft but Dawn of War and Starcraft knocked it out of the park for me. Afterwards nothing else came along that had peaked my interest, not even the followups to those two beloved games.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    UngoodPhaserlight[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

ALRIGHT! So did any of you play Dark Colony? It was the Greys against the Human type RTS. So. Much. Fun. 
    ConstantineMerus
    It is really hard to pick just one.

Over the years, I mostly enjoyed these:

Knights and Merchants
    Age of Empires 2
    Knights of Honor 
    C&C Tiberian Sun
    C&C Generals
    Company of Heroes

I love/ed C&C games!
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I completely forgot about Warwind! Far, far ahead of its time with great races, heroes and everything. All of this two years before Starcraft was even a thing. Amazing game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Warcraft: Orcs and Humans along with Starcraft 1 and its Broodwar expac are the two I played most. Is the Dungeon Keeper series an RTS? If so, DK 2 I played a lot of. (The DK games popped into my head as I read sunandshadow's reply.)

I'm more into 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) games like Master of Magic, though quite similar in nature :)

I howled the first time in Warcraft I clicked on a human peon multiple times waiting for something to be built and he finally cried out, "STOP POKING ME!"
    ShaddyDaddyPalebaneUngoodPhaserlight

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Warcraft: Orcs and Humans along with Starcraft 1 and its Broodwar expac are the two I played most. Is the Dungeon Keeper series an RTS? If so, DK 2 I played a lot of. (The DK games popped into my head as I read sunandshadow's reply.)

I'm more into 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) games like Master of Magic, though quite similar in nature :)

I howled the first time in Warcraft I clicked on a human peon multiple times waiting for something to be built and he finally cried out, "STOP POKING ME!"
    Brother! My buddy got me into the 4x RTS's! Warhammer II Is the bee's knees. I'm enjoying it a lot! Any other ones you think would be awesome to try out?
    lahnmir said:
    I grew up on C&C and Warcraft but Dawn of War and Starcraft knocked it out of the park for me. Afterwards nothing else came along that had peaked my interest, not even the followups to those two beloved games.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Dawn of War's expansion that made the game like risk REALLY sealed the deal for me. That game was awesome.
    ALRIGHT! So did any of you play Dark Colony? It was the Greys against the Human type RTS. So. Much. Fun. 
    It seems you and I have been buddies for a very long time. 

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    edited April 2019
    The first ones I played were the warcraft ones and starcraft.  Later I played Age of Mythology and really liked that one.  The last one I liked enough to play a lot was Sins of a Solar Empire.

I've tried a number of others that I didn't care for much.  Something I don't like in RTS games is excessive micromanaging.  Like when you have to select individual units to make them do their special attack or ability when you need them to do it.  Or, there was one I can't remember the name of where in the campaign mode you conquered territory and then had to manage every town you owned and tell it what to do with it's resources and que up troops to build..for every fricken town....blah.

I also don't don't really care for it when there is a huge amount of upgrading to do.  I understand that that is a key element with RTS but for me there is a line which can be crossed after which it just seems like more of a hassle than an enjoyable experience.  Sins of a Solar Empire kind of went down that road with it's expansions.
    Palebane
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited April 2019
    I much prefer TBS, but I had some fun with Starcraft and C&C back in the day. Dungeon Keeper was probably my favorite, though I’m not sure if that really counts.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Sim City. I know this sounds weird, but this was the game that got me into building a city and wanting to see if I could interact/invade other cities around me.

For here, I went to Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Star Craft, and finally.. going to Dawn of War.

DoWII was kinda Meh.. and GoWIII has gotten to the point of annoying me.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vanilla Starcraft, baby.  I poured so many hours into creating custom maps, RPGs, even.  It's amazing how much detail can be achieved with the editor.  Some really great memories.

Warcraft 3 had an even more advanced editor (it spawned DotA, after all) but I never took it upon myself to learn it; it wasn't as user-friendly to me, coming from Starcraft.  Some people created some truly great custom maps there as well.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Mine is Rise of Nations , such great game and has a Remastered version available thru Steam ..

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    All Westwood Command & Conquer games before the EA buyout. 
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Battlezone 1 (rts in 3d where the player is actually present) gave me the best memories. This game was so immersive.

I remember losing a duel against a friend. I got ejected from my anti grav tank and ran for my life. I contacted my base, ordered 5 bombers to take him off. My friend was actively looking for the ejection landing site to finish me off... It was me, running as a walking under geared soldier, against him, in a fast armored anti grav tank full of powerful weapons. I decided to climb a very high mountain. When I reached the top, I jumped in a hole/crater that was there. Just at this very moment, my friend almost ran over me, then his tank fell off the cliff on the other side.
    Then, the cavalry arrived and destroyed him.
    Then I jumped in one of the bombers and went back to my base... ( I ended winning this game).

I have countless stories like that... Very underrated game...

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Total Annihilation. Nothing like sending 400+ flying units at your enemy. Setting up massive patrols to protect your base. Having proper land, air and water armies. Huge maps to battle on.

Supreme Commander series came close to surpassing it as a spiritual successor.