Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cox plans to introduce Elite Gamer Fast Lane on it's service

Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
Could this be the begining of the end for the internet as we know it now? I might blame twitch game online users if this starts a trend among ISPs.  Here's a link to the article: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cox-elite-gamer-internet-fast-lane,39176.html

[Deleted User]JeffSpicoliKootur

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2019
    And so it begins. Overturning Net Neutrality was such a terrible mistake and this is only the first salvo. I doubt it will be limited to cable only. They're all going to get in on it.

This is going to have a huge impact on competitive gaming.
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]psychosiz1Kootur

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    SBFord said:
    And so it begins. Overturning Net Neutrality was such a terrible mistake and this is only the first salvo. I doubt it will be limited to cable only. They're all going to get in on it.

This is going to have a huge impact on competitive gaming.
    Yeah by making it only a viable thing for people who can afford it. It sucks, hope congress passes the net neutrality law to reinstate it.
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoliSBFord
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited April 2019
    All traffic isn't equal which is one of the reasons why the Open Internet Rules of 2015 were so damaging. Enforcing Net Neutrality is actually quite difficult and why countries like Norway have dropped it since implementing it.
    Given the ways the internet is delivered, Cable Companies are in a particularly special position in offering fast lanes without congesting their existing infrastructure. They have 153 channels to work with and only use 32 for internet traffic. Dedicating a channel for a particular type of traffic does not come with the overhead of other forms of limiting traffic.
    Just as long as they are honest in their delivery then I don't see a problem with them offering such a service. They are offering people to pay $15 more in order to have a superficial benefit in a game. They aren't charging another ISP access to their network or creating pay walls which may result in an FTC violation and create tension with their ISP partners.
    I imagine they are already parsing video streaming and other types of data already in order to more efficiently meet load demands during peak times.
    KyleranLokeroGorweSandmanjwDaranar
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited April 2019
    I dunno,  people can already pay for advantages like better rigs, peripherals, higher speed cable, macroing programs etc, what's one more?
    AlBQuirkySandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    I dunno,  people can already pay for advantages like better rigs, peripherals, higher speed cable, macroing programs etc, what's one more?
    There are two huge problems with it:

1) Offering elite service usually comes with slowing other services so that customers would pay for the premium - just look at Intel implementing extra functionality to prevent overclocking if your processor isn't the elite K -version

2) It's all good for the games selected to have this elite functionality, but how about games that do not get selected by the ISP? 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Vrika said: huh
    Kyleran said:
    There are two huge problems with it:

1) Offering elite service usually comes with slowing other services so that customers would pay for the premium - just look at Intel implementing extra functionality to prevent overclocking if your processor isn't the elite K -version

2) It's all good for the games selected to have this elite functionality, but how about games that do not get selected by the ISP? 
    First world problems, not serious concerns, at least to me.
    DaranarManWithNoTan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    I'm so happy I live in Sweden. Unlimited 100/100 for 29 euros.
    Kyleran
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The only way it will work is if all the other ISP's play along, and this is worldwide, if their service is 'blocked' which could happen, by other ISP's then the service becomes useless if not an absolute liability to anyone who uses it, in short they can only create a multi tiered network if they own and control the network, as a portal they can only slow down peoples connections and that is it, they can't guarantee anyone a better internet connection because its outside of their control. :/
    Kyleran
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    sounds like fastpath to me, was pretty standard some time ago (IDSN).

but at least they didn't make it that obvious ;) (and it was like 1 or 5 bucks more

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited April 2019
    Did anyone else think this was about City of Heroes/Villains (CoX)? :lol:
    (Cox Cable, I know...)

Since I'm not a competitive eSports player, it really matters not to me. As Kyleran pointed out, there are many, many ways money can be milked for better pieces of the gaming puzzle :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    AlBQuirky said:
    Did anyone else think this was about City of Heroes/Villains (CoX)? :lol:
    (Cox Cable, I know...)

Since I'm not a competitive eSports player, it really matters not to me. As Kyleran pointed out, there are many, many ways money can be milked for better pieces of the gaming puzzle :)
    I did. I'm disappointed.
    AlBQuirky
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.