Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Devs in Halnir Cave & Previews of New Things - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2019 in Videos Discussion

imagePantheon: Rise of the Fallen Devs in Halnir Cave & Previews of New Things - MMORPG.com

The other day, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team took part in a live stream event with CohhCarnage. During the event, Visionary Realms members went on an "adventure through Halnir Cave, followed by some never-before-seen previews of the new animations and encounters coming with the next big development milestone, Project Faerthale.

Read the full story here

Amathe

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    insightful. Thx
    digitalellisSevenwind

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Looking better and better with each stream.

My only wish is if they had some sort of unique class flavors similar to Vanguard. i.e Blood mage, disciple, etc
    digitalellisSovrathZenJellydragonlee66Samhael[Deleted User]bgzgamerkedo
    edited April 2019

So the idea is to continually show spoiler content , up until beta ? Really not following these incremental stages of spoiling the game content, not only for this game but other game studios as well. I like Chamelot Unchained approach so far in showing actual progress, instead of devs tooting there own horn with hour long video blogs.

Call me old fashioned, but this doesn't impress me at all.

Wow, you sound incredibly bitter over a dev team showing their work in progress. How is showing off new features and the stuff they've been working on considered spoiler content? All they're doing is showing off stuff like animations, spell graphics, improved models, shading, lighting, Improved UI elements, etc, etc, etc. That is the purpose behind their short, less than 1 hour streams.
    Renndonelesslight[Deleted User]mcd6993sausagemixSignexSovrath[Deleted User]SinsaiTacticalZombehand 5 others.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Aradune is a ranger btw.
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I would expect combat animations to have synchronization. e.g. if I'm a warrior and I block an attack or dodge, my character animation would show that. In today's day and age, tab targeting with auto-attack should really look like the characters are engaged and fighting each other. A glancing hit, vs a critical hit auto attack should show the sword swing and landing differently.
    MikehaSignexbobbymcswansonbcbully[Deleted User]
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407
    druez said:
    I would expect combat animations to have synchronization. e.g. if I'm a warrior and I block an attack or dodge, my character animation would show that. In today's day and age, tab targeting with auto-attack should really look like the characters are engaged and fighting each other. A glancing hit, vs a critical hit auto attack should show the sword swing and landing differently.
    I too wondered why all the animations were not completed in this pre-alpha state.  What are they doing, just sitting around playing games all day?

druezSignexitchmon
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I try to stay in the middle as much as I can on this game. Some days I feel like this game is never going to happen, and then other days I feel like it is.

The most recent stream was probably their best stream to date, so I'll give credit there. The stream had the same boss fight from before, but at least showed a different area of Halnir's Cave before that. None of that really matters though, the graphics, lighting, spell effects, and UI were all drastically improved over the last time I saw the game. The UI got a lot of work, including the spell book and icons. Definitely some progress there. The new character models are much better.

The stuff they showed at the end with the future warrior animations, climbing animations, and lightning VFX was all very solid. The new hires seem to be working hard at least. They move at a snail's pace, but VR seemed to hint that there is a lot more done then they want to show. 

The Project Fearthale update, and new game client is going to be very telling. This stream was encouraging though, the game looks a lot better than the last stream from December.
    mcd6993Sovrathitchmon
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Another game that is never coming out
    Mensur[Deleted User]gastovski1jgDuffay
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74

So the idea is to continually show spoiler content , up until beta ? Really not following these incremental stages of spoiling the game content, not only for this game but other game studios as well. I like Chamelot Unchained approach so far in showing actual progress, instead of devs tooting there own horn with hour long video blogs.

Wow, you sound incredibly bitter over a dev team showing their work in progress. How is showing off new features and the stuff they've been working on considered spoiler content? All they're doing is showing off stuff like animations, spell graphics, improved models, shading, lighting, Improved UI elements, etc, etc, etc. That is the purpose behind their short, less than 1 hour streams.

Yep. We are bitter towards b.s.

This game is never coming out.
    [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019

your reading comprehension made me sound bitter, I was expressing an opinion. How are "animations" a new feature in the realm of 3d development ? How are 3d models improved in mo-cap, or does the team even have mo-cap ? If no mo-cap, I would say the models are inferior to even Age of Conan, which used mo-cap. 

Having improvements to technology, I can get excited about, but basic animaing and 3d model creation, after over 30 + years of 3d gaming as whole,  I can't apologize for not getting excited for basic functions in a 3d space. Maybe people can get excited about these things because they are "fan" , for which I am not. 

I loved Vanguard SOH , Loved the scope of the landscape, which pushed technology , as for Patheon so far, it is just seems like a more poly version of EQ 1., which is no way a bad thing for the fans of EQ1 , but as I am a fan of mmorpg genre, I'm looking for a bit more in cutting edge or refreshing. 

You didn't answer my question but that's ok.

If you have followed every video they have put out(which it sounds like you haven't), you would see the progress the game has made. Simply put - Each video has shown large improvements in the areas they're showcasing.

Some people in this thread come off as if they think this dev team has hundreds of millions of dollars to blow and a staff of 200+ to work on it when in reality they don't. Cannot compare apples to oranges. The game has come a long way since their first video and you'd see that if you have followed them. If this style of game isn't up your alley, than there's plenty other ones out there for you. They've come out and said this particular game and style is more so for a niche crowd and not for the masses. Take a glander at all the mmo's that have come out in the last 10 or so years. They've all been rinse and repeats of each other, trying to cater to the masses and for the most part, they've almost all tanked with the exception of just a couple. For starters, I'm happy Pantheon is targeting a specific niche crowd and not catering to the masses, in other words not handing shit out on a silver platter that's very easy like todays generation of mmo's. Easy, low time commitment mmo's = zero longevity, zero carrot at the end of the stick = ping pong from game to game. Proof is in the pudding.

As for "cutting edge" or "refreshing", I think it's a little early to tell yet but I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything ground breaking nor are they trying for that.
    sausagemix
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120

Coldmeat said:

druez said:

I too wondered why all the animations were not completed in this pre-alpha state.  What are they doing, just sitting around playing games all day?

It wasn't a critique of the current videos, I was just laying out my expectations of a tab target/auto combat style of game and what I expect to see in the final product.
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Check out CohhCarnage, very nice, respectful streamer.
    Xarko[Deleted User]TacticalZombehkedo
  • OriginalzononOriginalzonon Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I sure hope they focus on combat animations (and all animations). For me that is very important. I loved Vanguards world but a lot of animations were really bad.
    gastovski1itchmon
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I hope the 'build community and needing other people to do things' thing doesn't mean it will be impossible to do anything without coordinating four other people to do it.
  • sakin13sakin13 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Cohh stream was really impressive. it is still in Pre Alpha so for a pre alpha it looks simply amazing, all things considered...
    mcd6993[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I hope it is doing well, just looked at a snatch of footage. Not sure that I like the idea of such videos needing a "video streamer" to be released. The fans would still watch them surely.
    RexKushman
  • Mandalorian2KMandalorian2K Member UncommonPosts: 6

I'd really like to know about housing, will there be farming, land ownership, apartments type steds in town, things that alot of people expect in a 21st century mmorpg. mounts ? ect/ If people are running on foot from on place to next does that increase a stat ? kind of a black hole of information there.

Maybe do some actual research on the game to find your answers? I know it's a novel idea, but it sure beats coming to a website and bemoaning a project you seem to actually know very little about. I'll even get you started.....

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

Some of the info may be outdated as development shifts, but you will get answers to most of your general questions. Plenty of other resources out there to help get you up to speed if you are truly "interested".

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    People thins FFXIV has slow boring combat? Just wait for this....
    Solancerbcbully
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

The difference being is that this is more like EQ1 and FF14 is more like WoW. Apples to Oranges.
    Signex[Deleted User]Rastan1
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Daakkon said:

The difference being is that this is more like EQ1 and FF14 is more like WoW. Apples to Oranges.
    So it'll suck even more then?  I don't get your point.  EQ has never had great...or even good combat.  It was great in spite of it, not because of it.
    Pirraya
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Do they plan on making the combat animations look more varied and less loopy?:

Pirraya
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    This project is coming along quite nicely. I'm very pleased to be a full supporter of this MMORPG.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Looking better and better with each stream.

My only wish is if they had some sort of unique class flavors similar to Vanguard. i.e Blood mage, disciple, etc
    Yes it "looks"good but aside from just class variations,i am seeing nothing creative or new..YET.If we are going to get THIS and just more of,it is imo not good enough,i need to see a NEW game look like a NEW game and not a newer version of old.

Of course this is not the final product or perhaps not even close,i just hope i begin to see some creative work and some in depth system designs because same old is way too boring for me.
    Pirraya

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Daakkon said:

So it'll suck even more then?  I don't get your point.  EQ has never had great...or even good combat.  It was great in spite of it, not because of it.
    Eq would not be great by now a days standards but credit is due for it's time at THAT TIME.EQ was breaking ground on a great new mmorpg experience and unlike many modern games actually had group play although i would argue the EQ teams never got the group play done very well.

Sadly i feel after so many years,FFXI is the peak of combat/depth design,i have not seen a single developer try to go one up but instead i see lots of same old or doing less.

When you read over all the stuff on the Pantheon site there APPEARS to be a lot of promising talk there but seeing is believing.So far i am not seeing.I don't like to be too critical but WHEN is a good time to voice concern,after the game is done,it is way too late.

Solancerjimmywolf[Deleted User]MendelPirrayabobbymcswanson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    The new spell effects look nice and the animations in work look perfectly ok. At this point Im confident to say the combat will be just fine when finished.