Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Classic Team Details About Itemization - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: Classic Team Details About Itemization - MMORPG.com

The World of Warcraft: Classic team has posted a lengthy article on the official forum to lay out the initial details about how itemization will work. "The aim is to create a progression experience that resembles the original arc from when WoW first launched." While some items "progressed" from one patch to another (example: Helm of Wrath), that will not be the case when Classic arrives. Items will retain the stats they arrive with.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    duh
    XarkoPuReDusT
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    "a deliberate effort to provide catch-up gear"

I really don't like this sentence....
    ManWithNoTanPhry[Deleted User]Alomarinfomatz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    "However, players will find that when new things are added to the loot tables, there will be "a deliberate effort to provide catch-up gear and/or to provide new goals for players who had exhausted an existing reward structure"."

bcbully
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I give this server a year, two at most before it ends up abandoned. To many people are looking thru rose tinted glasses at this. There will be no xpacs, no new raids, nothing new. Only the things that many like myself ran into the ground because we loved the game back then. I myself miss the older style content where you have to had diverse groups and CC to even handle trash mobs in instances, where there was no real group them up and just AoE them down. How many people though are going to have hours on end like the used to do to do that one BRD run that takes 2+ hours to complete.

I hope those that are really looking forward to this get what they wanted an it does last for them, just can't see it myself.
    Ricardo5802WhiskeydustMensurArskaaaRoininfomatz
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Lol, this says a lot about the state of Blizzard

This company is dead
    deniterMargravePuReDusT
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think somehow, somewhere along the line, Blizzard confused the words classic, and progression, because it sounds more like they are creating a progression server, than a classic server and i really do not think that is what players actually want, or to be more specific, it sure as heck isn't something i want! i suppose the next thing i will be hearing is that they want more microtransactions and live services in the Classic server, as if just paying a regular sub wasn't enough. :(
    gervaise1Kevyne-ShandrisMargraveinfomatz

Phry said:

I think somehow, somewhere along the line, Blizzard confused the words classic, and progression, because it sounds more like they are creating a progression server, than a classic server and i really do not think that is what players actually want, or to be more specific, it sure as heck isn't something i want! i suppose the next thing i will be hearing is that they want more microtransactions and live services in the Classic server, as if just paying a regular sub wasn't enough. :(

Everyone knows Vanilla wow had level 60 boosts!
    Whiskeydust
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2019
    @Phry I didn't get that impression at all from what they wrote. In fact, it seemed like just the opposite. Some gear "progressed" and was improved from patch to patch back in the day. They're not going to do this in Classic. 

Additionally, I think they're spot on with what they said about the fact that the Classic experience simply cannot be replicated 100%. Players know the tactics. They know how the fights play out. Those bells can't be "unrung". The focus will be, instead, to build community. 

Panther2103achesomaNephethRoin

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Albatroes said:

Phry said:

Everyone knows Vanilla wow had level 60 boosts!
    One of the things i never really understood, when playing WoW was all about the journey, just paying for an item to instantly level you past all that content, its a bit like buying a cake and then paying someone else to eat it for you  :o
    Kevyne-ShandrisRicardo5802
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    How do they intend to build community? Have they given any details? I agree with Blizzard that this will not be the original amazing experience we had, since we're going into this basically knowing everything. So they intend to compensate for that with community building?

So what do they mean by community building?
    Thupli

Mend and Defend

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    "So rather than try to recreate a specific experience from 2005 that can never fully be recaptured, our aim has been to accurately and fully restore the original game’s mechanics and stats to their final and most polished state from before The Burning Crusade".

What he's saying is basically "we could have recreated the original vanilla experience but it was easier for us to just copy-paste the nerfed down game with all the catch-up mechanisms that were meant to prepare the players for the upcoming TBC content".

Needless to say, i'm very disappointed with this decision. For those people who have said vanilla was easy af, just long and tedious i now say "you were right". For me, Blizzard is now truly dead and they have shown what they are as a gaming company.
    Whiskeydust
    @deniter How do you figure they can erase people's memories of the tactics and mechanics of the raids they experienced already and that there are 100s of guides for these days? That's what the post is saying. You can't unlearn what you already know. 

So do tell how they "could have recreated the original vanilla experience".

[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    so all gear will be 1.12 stat-wise BUT will be released in batches. Sounds OK, that's what I'd have expected to start with. I guess same applies to PvP gear, now that might be a tad bit unfair for T0.5 sets...
  • hdonthdont Member UncommonPosts: 7
    stop posting news on a since 10 year dead game pls.. with 20year old graphics..
    ZenJellyPanther2103PalebaneXarkoTuor7
    hdont said:
    stop posting news on a since 10 year dead game pls.. with 20year old graphics..
    Nope.

WoW is still the #1 most-talked about MMO 'round these parts. So maybe instead, you can just bypass threads about a game you're not interested in. Jus' sayin' ;)
    Galadourn[Deleted User]Xarkojohn25301Tuor7Roin

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    SBFord said:
    @deniter How do you figure they can erase people's memories of the tactics and mechanics of the raids they experienced already and that there are 100s of guides for these days? That's what the post is saying. You can't unlearn what you already know. 

So do tell how they "could have recreated the original vanilla experience".

Just like in any game you have beaten before, your past experience doesn't prevent you from doing all the necessary actions to reach the end of the game for the second, third or fourth time. Players still have to gear up for the raids and farm the resistance gear and reputation. Giving them the catch-up gear and talents is a slap in a face for every single person who have waited for the classic realms. In the contrary, with all the knowledge and data available it should be even harder this time, especially when we know there won't be any new content coming up for it.

Everyone familiar to WoW know how the game works. Blizzard releases an expansion and nerfs it gradually towards the end to ensure everyone have a chance to clear the content. Giving us the most nerfed version of the game from the very beginning is wrong not only by the Blizzard standards but also for the entire gaming community looking forward to play this piece of art of a gaming history.
    SBFord
    edited April 2019
    The gear is set to 1.12 so that's nerfed gear? I guess I don't see what the big deal is? Is it the notion that there will be "catch up" in place that's bothersome?

Gear will roll out along the same schedule it did originally, but without changes to things like the example they mentioned in the blog post.

Here’s an example of progressive itemization. The Tier 2 warrior Helm of Wrath originally had Spirit and Agility on it, as well as critical strike chance. In Patch 1.5.0, the helm’s stat budget was changed to Stamina, Strength, and Defense, along with elemental resistances. Then in Patch 1.7.0, the amount of Defense on the helm was reduced. In Patch 1.8.0, the 5-piece set bonus that included the helm was fixed to work with Whirlwind, and in 1.9.0, it got a better look with an art update.
    Essentially, at least the way I understand it, that means that if someone's lucky enough to get that helm in 1.5, it will remain as it is in 1.5 without the changes that came in 1.7 and 1.8. The catch up mechanic would seem to be one that allows players to replace that helm with something better when 1.7 and 1.8 roll out since it won't be improving "on its own".

But...after writing this, I see what you're saying. Interesting. I wonder what the reaction is like on the forum. *runs off to look*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited April 2019

k61977 said:

I give this server a year, two at most before it ends up abandoned. To many people are looking thru rose tinted glasses at this. There will be no xpacs, no new raids, nothing new. Only the things that many like myself ran into the ground because we loved the game back then. I myself miss the older style content where you have to had diverse groups and CC to even handle trash mobs in instances, where there was no real group them up and just AoE them down. How many people though are going to have hours on end like the used to do to do that one BRD run that takes 2+ hours to complete.

I hope those that are really looking forward to this get what they wanted an it does last for them, just can't see it myself.

Classic is not for you, just move to BFA.
    @deniter Now I understand better what you're saying. Do you think it's possible that they will tune things to a higher level than originally found to compensate for the higher level gear?

If you don't think they will do so, or will do so badly, I can understand your concern. It would make the leveling process laughably easy and irrelevant and make dungeons/raids far too simple.
    deniter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Maybe I'm in the minority for thinking this, but it shouldn't be the developers' job to build community but for the community to build itself up....Making things 'easier for people to catch up' deteriorates that. Not everyone is supposed to be at the same place at the same time, that's the problem with current wow. Its the community's responsible to help each other progress. This also works to make it seem like the game is longer than it really is because the people at the 'top' is really small in reality given that there is usually a lot of backtracking involved. Just leave things as they were. They worked for a reason. If the current development team really understood their community, they wouldn't be having as many problems with the live game.
    blamo2000BruceYeePalebaneRoin
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

k61977 said:

I agree - for people like you it will be a short diversion between PUBG, Fortnight, and whatever the next major game all the kids are watching videos of other people playing is. Same for modern WoW players.

But for people like me, who enjoy a game's systems and mechanics and looks for specific systems and mechanics and a specific type of mmorpg, our options are extremely limited. We find something we like and stick to it, return to it, keep it in our rotation forever. As long as classic is classic and not modern WoW, or WoW post WotLK, me and a bunch of others will play. Why? Because we enjoy the gameplay, rpg systems, mechanics, etc. We don't want them to change. Change for Blizzard post WotLK means stripping systems, complexity, challenge, and everything good to cater to a younger and more retarded audience that would be better served playing any other game besides an mmorpg.
    achesoma
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Albatroes said:

Maybe I'm in the minority for thinking this, but it shouldn't be the developers' job to build community but for the community to build itself up....Making things 'easier for people to catch up' deteriorates that. Not everyone is supposed to be at the same place at the same time, that's the problem with current wow. Its the community's responsible to help each other progress. This also works to make it seem like the game is longer than it really is because the people at the 'top' is really small in reality given that there is usually a lot of backtracking involved. Just leave things as they were. They worked for a reason. If the current development team really understood their community, they wouldn't be having as many problems with the live game.

What you mentioned is kind of hard to do when they made every new expansion void all the "work" you did in a previous expansion. They decided to treat expansions as seasons and that decision was made long ago when the original big boi WoW devs were there so Ion can't really be blamed for that. The more you think about it he kind of inherited the phuckfest that is >>>every new expansion is practically a new WoW and is powerless to do anything about it. Who wouldn't get tired of that game model where what you worked for over years is reduced to nothing? WoW players leave then maybe come back for the first 3 months of an expansion then leave again which is the same amount of time for "seasons" in other games. It was a good test but overall when it comes to persistence like other MMO's have that makes you want to stick around WoW's format does not work IMO.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    SBFord said:
    @Phry I didn't get that impression at all from what they wrote. In fact, it seemed like just the opposite. Some gear "progressed" and was improved from patch to patch back in the day. They're not going to do this in Classic. 

Additionally, I think they're spot on with what they said about the fact that the Classic experience simply cannot be replicated 100%. Players know the tactics. They know how the fights play out. Those bells can't be "unrung". The focus will be, instead, to build community. 

Think you misunderstood or missed @phry’s point. That gear should still progress... I don’t think he’s looking for the 3 month gear treadmill...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DropkeDropke Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'll just wait for pantheon. Blizzard has gone off the deep end.
    @bcbully -- several posts after that, I got it. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯