Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Store will stop exclusives if Steam changes revenue split, CEO says

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Personally I don't understand why Steam bothers with developing the means to play games on Linux. What do they get out of this?

Steam developing for the VR at least I understand.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Xasapis said:
    Personally I don't understand why Steam bothers with developing the means to play games on Linux. What do they get out of this?

There are more Linux gamers than VR gamers. Correct me if im wrong.

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    No matter what Epic Games do or don't do, i believe that Steam needs to be smart and match the revenue. Steam just doesn't have the ecosystem to justify taking a whole 30% cut, they just have a freaking digital store with servers. They got away with 30% for over a decade because they didn't have competition.

I don't like this situation as much as the next person, but Steam could stop being selfish and greedy, and become more pro consumer.

My opinion.
    well then devs should start paying for the 'free' advertising generated by steam which in my opinion makes up for far far more than the 18% difference between steam and epic store for most games (and especially indie games), but that's just me ...
    Asm0deusPalebane
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    No matter what Epic Games do or don't do, i believe that Steam needs to be smart and match the revenue. Steam just doesn't have the ecosystem to justify taking a whole 30% cut, they just have a freaking digital store with servers. They got away with 30% for over a decade because they didn't have competition.

I don't like this situation as much as the next person, but Steam could stop being selfish and greedy, and become more pro consumer.

My opinion.
    They are't being selfish and greedy. 

At the time they saw a need and they filled it. They offered x terms. 

Developers don't have to use steam. They could sell the games themselves, go back to dvd's and put them back in stores, find another site that will allow them to store their games and make downloads available.

Steam offers an easy way for developers to sell their games.

If enough people go to Epic (or any other store) then Steam might consider changing how they sell games. 

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited April 2019
    Xasapis said:

Well, yes, but why do they gain out of this?

For VR at least they sell the hardware, so it makes perfect sense to support it any way they can.

rojoArcueid said:

My opinion.
    Don't Steam and Epic store have identical prices, regardless of the cut? If you'd say pro developer I would understand, but neither store benefit consumers in terms of product prices.
    Gdemami
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:

For VR at least they sell the hardware, so it makes perfect sense to support it any way they can.

they get consumers ... and possibly someday a way to have an alternative to windows for gaming
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited April 2019
    ananit said:

My opinion.
    well then devs should start paying for the 'free' advertising generated by steam which in my opinion makes up for far far more than the 18% difference between steam and epic store for most games (and especially indie games), but that's just me ...
    Indeed which was my point earlier that steam seems to have a pretty big user base.  Really if small indie teams or dev don't want to give a cut away, which I 100% understand, then why not just sell their game off their own website.

I mean why is a "platform required" Just make your own website add a store and ability to accept credit cards and paypal purchases etc etc.

Really though I think most go steam route because like has been mentioned it generates lots of "advertising" in return for that 30% cut.

Epic is unable to compete right now with the amount of hype and advertising due to steam's large userbase so Epic is doing full on marketing spin IMO. 

Thing is if they could I find it hard to believe Epic would not charge a 30% cut themselves.

I wont even go into the other shady stuff I hear now and then about the Epic store....

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    This argument is just insulting.  Like epic has any control over anything but themselves.  I got a feeling that their exclusive titles are not making what they promised to the devs an now they are trying to find ways to make it look better.  I will not touch any game that goes the exclusive route, even if it is something I was looking forward to.  I do not do this on consoles I will not do it on PC.  May epic crash and burn for even trying this crap. 
    Gdemami
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

My opinion.
    Steam has everything, developed everything that the PC market currently uses and you just want them to drop their cut cause some dickhead came in to shake the hornets nest?

We can thank Steam for the modding community, we can thank steam for cloud saving, we can thank steam for keeping their entire library downloadable ready, we can thank steam for a social platform for gamers, we can thank steam for discussion boards that devs actually are a part of, we can thank steam for the massive blast of linux supporters, we can thank steam for an influx of VR experiences, we can thank steam for developer curated store pages and fronts, we can thank Steam for massive sales 5-8 times a year, we can thank steam for allowing steam keys to be sold on third party sites which allow even more savings.

In short THEY SAVED AND FIXED THE PC GAMING MARKET THAT WAS GOING DOWN THE FUCKIN TUBE.  They deserve everything and deserve to profit from it, why others think otherwise beyond me.
    BruceYee
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    edited April 2019
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:

rojoArcueid said:

My opinion.
    Don't Steam and Epic store have identical prices, regardless of the cut? If you'd say pro developer I would understand, but neither store benefit consumers in terms of product prices.
    For the first quote, if valve did have a hand in the creation of the VR device then yes it makes sense they want to sell hardware. AS for the Linux part, Gabe used to be (or still is?) publicly against windows, that's why he has been very supportive of Linux.

As for the second quote, If Valve matches Epic's revenue split then Epic will have to match or beat Valve's massive game discounts or people will just stay on Steam anyway. I agree they have to be pro consumer first and foremost. But Valve is a private company, it's harder for them to adapt to market change after becoming a monopoly.
    Gdemami

Hashbrick said:

My opinion.
    Steam has everything, developed everything that the PC market currently uses and you just want them to drop their cut cause some dickhead came in to shake the hornets nest?

We can thank Steam for the modding community, we can thank steam for cloud saving, we can thank steam for keeping their entire library downloadable ready, we can thank steam for a social platform for gamers, we can thank steam for discussion boards that devs actually are a part of, we can thank steam for the massive blast of linux supporters, we can thank steam for an influx of VR experiences, we can thank steam for developer curated store pages and fronts, we can thank Steam for massive sales 5-8 times a year, we can thank steam for allowing steam keys to be sold on third party sites which allow even more savings.

In short THEY SAVED AND FIXED THE PC GAMING MARKET THAT WAS GOING DOWN THE FUCKIN TUBE.  They deserve everything and deserve to profit from it, why others think otherwise beyond me.
    You are missing the point. They did all that and got away with a higher cut because they were the only ones in the PC market doing it. Today, they behave as if they are still the only ones in the PC market. If they don't adjust with the times then they only care about themselves, not the developers and not the consumers.
    gervaise1Gdemamimbrodie

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I'm pretty sure Epic has no legal jurisdiction to force any developer to become Epic Store exclusive. The developers agree to the exclusivity, yet somehow Epic gets the hate. 

If Epic hadn't made Fortnite, no one would be hating.
    MadFrenchiegervaise1
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Hashbrick said:

My opinion.

None of that matters anymore.  Stop assessing these situations via emotional attachment to a company.

Neither of them give two fucks if you think Steam saved PC gaming or not, and neither of them will make any moves based on such an assessment.

Thank Steam for the modding community?  Give me a fucking break.  Let's thank them for electricity, too!  Maybe even life itself!

You folks need to really calm the fuck down.  You guys get your panties in a wad over something so inconsequential to your gaming experience it's hilarious.
    rojoArcueidgervaise1Gdemamimbrodie

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hashbrick said:

My opinion.

You are missing the point. They did all that and got away with a higher cut because they were the only ones in the PC market doing it. Today, they behave as if they are still the only ones in the PC market. If they don't adjust with the times then they only care about themselves, not the developers and not the consumers.
    Your thinking of a company as if it was your neighbor. On one level that's sort of nice. But companies exist to make money and Steam doesn't have to do anything but offer a service.

If that service is good they will make money. If it isn't they won't.

They could take less of a cut but as long as people are willing to use their service, customers and developers alike, there isn't an incentive.

Just because there are others in the market doing a similar thing doesn't mean they "have to" comply.

If it was my company I wouldn't have taken that large of a cut unless the business depended on it. But I sure as hell wouldn't lower my cut, even if I was taking 10% and someone asked that we take 5% because another company set up shop.

Only way I'd lower would be because I needed to in order to keep business.
    rojoArcueidHorusraAsm0deusAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2019
    Utinni said:
    I'm pretty sure Epic has no legal jurisdiction to force any developer to become Epic Store exclusive. The developers agree to the exclusivity, yet somehow Epic gets the hate. 

If Epic hadn't made Fortnite, no one would be hating.
    Because Epic is a big bad publisher, which is a magnet for hate.

To be fair, publishers in general have earned hate, but the amount of mud-slinging here about Epic has been way outta proportion, and that's a product of an emotional kneejerk.  These folks will piss and moan, but most won't even acknowledge that you can literally get games for free by just installing the store and checking in once a month.  No purchase necessary.  But yet, the Epic Store is apocalypse in digital storefront form.  It'd be so funny if it wasn't so self-defeating.  I bet many of the haters here don't even realize they can get said free games, because they immediately went into uber hate mode before even checking it out.
    mbrodie

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

The Sweeney Always Lies, The Sweeney Always Lies, The Sweeney Always Lies...

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2019
    Anybody calling a 70/30 split "selfish and greedy" needs to go sit TF down and grow up. So what? 10% difference is your ethical threshold for a publisher that built it's own platform, AND user base... without a game that generated billions of dollars? I seriously hope you children don't listen to ANY streaming music from your smartphones while talking that sh!#. Every developer had the option to do whatever they wanted. IT'S PC GAMING. There's no hardware owner hindering any process. Companies like Gearbox could have simply coded a store tab right into their own website and hooked in additional features into their games. 100% profit.

I'm not saying there isn't room to maneuver around on splits but to make it like it's some battle between the Empire and Rebellion is childish and naive as f#$%. Especially when the perceived "Rebellion" is actually the Empire, and Tom Palpatine Sweeney has revealed himself.  :D

If EPIC wanted to get some wings and halos, why didn't they and other companies form a consortium to build an open source licensed storefront/launcher API for all developers to use and benefit from across the board? 

Exactly...
    GdemamiAsm0deusChildoftheShadows
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    The snowflakes are out here with their signaling of "greedy" and "adjust with the times".  Companies make money.  They only care about your feelings when there is profit in it.  Much like governments only care about your feelings when there is power in it.  So long as they are not doing anything illegal they will set their prices by what people will pay and make a profit for the company.  
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Xasapis said:

on linux it's at least a real game. those VR thingies .... yeaaaa... whatever. give me real movement or go away.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Hashbrick said:

My opinion.

None of that matters anymore.  Stop assessing these situations via emotional attachment to a company.

Neither of them give two fucks if you think Steam saved PC gaming or not, and neither of them will make any moves based on such an assessment.

Thank Steam for the modding community?  Give me a fucking break.  Let's thank them for electricity, too!  Maybe even life itself!

You folks need to really calm the fuck down.  You guys get your panties in a wad over something so inconsequential to your gaming experience it's hilarious.
    Wildly off topic and possibly deranged.  The modding community was in a down turn, when Steam Workshop came out it spiked and tons of developers started to offer their games moddable and with that Steam created a mod loader system so you didn't have to do it yourself.  Was there modding communities doing mods without any of that?  Absolutely, but now it's bigger than ever, easier than ever and Steam developed it.

Everything I listed Steam created or was part of creating an evolution of.  So fuck off with your baseless arguments.  No one is saying Steam created electricity or life and it's not emotional it is 100% facts.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    edited April 2019
    Hashbrick said:
    Hashbrick said:

My opinion.

Wildly off topic and possibly deranged.  The modding community was in a down turn, when Steam Workshop came out it spiked and tons of developers started to offer their games moddable and with that Steam created a mod loader system so you didn't have to do it yourself.  Was there modding communities doing mods without any of that?  Absolutely, but now it's bigger than ever, easier than ever and Steam developed it.

Everything I listed Steam created or was part of creating an evolution of.  So fuck off with your baseless arguments.  No one is saying Steam created electricity or life and it's not emotional it is 100% facts.
    Then how's about you stop exaggerating the claims via hyperbole?

Steam's workshop helped the mod community, but we don't need to thank Steam for the existence of the mod community itself.  That's bullshit, and if I hadn't called you out on it, you'd never have admitted it here.

And yes, when someone shouts in all caps how Steam is the savior of PC gaming, it's a fucking emotional statement.  It's quite clear you're super invested in Steam, you've even said elsewhere you spend lots of time working with Steam.  You're biased, and it shows.
    Gdemamimbrodie

Hashbrick said:
    Hashbrick said:

My opinion.

Steam's workshop helped the mod community, but we don't nee do thank Steam for the existence of the mod community itself.  That's bullshit, and if I hadn't called you out on it, you'd never have admitted it here.

And yes, when someone shouts in all caps how Steam is the savior of PC gaming, it's a fucking emotional statement.  It's quite clear you're super invested in Steam, you've even said elsewhere you spend lots of time working with Steam.  You're biased, and it shows.
    Eat that humble pie *nom* *nom*
    MadFrenchieCyber_wasteland
    edited April 2019
    Hashbrick said:

Steam's workshop helped the mod community, but we don't nee do thank Steam for the existence of the mod community itself.  That's bullshit, and if I hadn't called you out on it, you'd never have admitted it here.

Eat that humble pie *nom* *nom*
    Image result for troll gif
    rojoArcueid

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Instead of promising benefits to the players, Epic would rather promise those benefits to the developers and try to change their own competitor's business model.  What's in it for us, Epic?

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Not sure why people think this means that the Epic Store is struggling. Prior to launching the store they got $0 revenue from selling other games. How they get more than $0. 

Are they making a profit yet from selling games? We don't know. It is a very big market though. And 12% of some % is more than 0%. OK they are investing some money but there is a lot of  upside and very little downside to this.

And the bulk of the investment will be a one off cost. I mean no one believes that Steam is spending billions developing the platform today.

Going forward the investment will add features like Linux support. The difference with what the Epic Store offers and what Steam offers will diminish. So one can expect more users to look at it.

Going forward as it grows so to will the Epic Store's potential marketing reach. And as that happens developers will look at their potential sales: more with Steam but they take 30%; fewer sales with Epic but only 12%. 

The danger for Steam is that this is a snowball. Tiny today but as it rolls down the hill it could get very big indeed. And - going forward - Epic clearly believe that 12% will be enough to cover running costs and make them a profit. Anyone think Steam is spending billions today? A profit that they were not making before they launched their store.

For now TS's messages are about publicity. Putting it out there that a) they have a store and b) - in case you are a developer who hasn't heard! - that they only take 12%.