Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE: This is what's wrong with modern MMOs

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/09/chronicles-of-elyria-kicks-off-land-selection-starting-on-april-29/#comments

"The long-awaited domain selection process is kicking off on April 29th. That’s when all of the people who selected the higher tiers of backer packages for noble land-owners start the process of picking out where their lands will be on server maps."

"Those who want the feel of a more traditional open land rush will need to wait until May 27th, when the plots not claimed by others become open for claims by those who had not pledged for a certain shot at the higher-tier land portions."

Unless you're one of the whales, why the hell would you play a game like this?  For the joy of being a second-class citizen?
Viper482GdemamiPsym0nPalebane

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/09/chronicles-of-elyria-kicks-off-land-selection-starting-on-april-29/#comments

"The long-awaited domain selection process is kicking off on April 29th. That’s when all of the people who selected the higher tiers of backer packages for noble land-owners start the process of picking out where their lands will be on server maps."

"Those who want the feel of a more traditional open land rush will need to wait until May 27th, when the plots not claimed by others become open for claims by those who had not pledged for a certain shot at the higher-tier land portions."

Unless you're one of the whales, why the hell would you play a game like this?  For the joy of being a second-class citizen?
    That is a fine question and can be applied to many kinds of games that cater to a smaller subset of their player base.

Often times in the form of PvP, or Raids, or other very specialized Content that is designed for just their "Best" players to be able to do, and thus be their Apex Citizens.

And everyone else being second crass trash.

Why the hell would anyone play a game a game unless they are in the top 10%?  For the joy of being a second-class citizen?

As far as CoE goes, I dunno, it's a bold and brass move to have their "Best" players be based on their fiscal investment as opposed to their skill to play a game that does not even exist.

Quite frankly, I am not going to worry about this game till it goes live. If that means I will log in a year behind everyone else and be a landless pauper.. I'm ok with that.

How long I play, will depend purely on how fun the game is to play.
    KyleranGdemamiAnOldFartbcbullytweedledumb99Palebane
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• virgommovirgommo Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Ungood said:

Quite frankly, I am not going to worry about this game till it goes live.
    In that case, you will never have to worry about this game LOL.
    UngoodTiamatRoarPsym0njonp200NasaDakeru
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Everyone that has a title, know they are just the first to lose it. I can throw thousands at SBS. Doesn't mean it's going to stop the horde of people come launch from taking it. If anything, it's smarter if a gaming group. Came in with nothing but the most basic package and then just raid everyone for everything else. 

So again, how does a whale protect themselves from anything?
    IselinGdemamibcbully
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ungood said:

That is a fine question and can be applied to many kinds of games that cater to a smaller subset of their player base.

Often times in the form of PvP, or Raids, or other very specialized Content that is designed for just their "Best" players to be able to do, and thus be their Apex Citizens.

Why the hell would anyone play a game a game unless they are in the top 10%?  For the joy of being a second-class citizen?

As far as CoE goes, I dunno, it's a bold and brass move to have their "Best" players be based on their fiscal investment as opposed to their skill to play a game that does not even exist.

Quite frankly, I am not going to worry about this game till it goes live. If that means I will log in a year behind everyone else and be a landless pauper.. I'm ok with that.

The spirit of competition.  As with all truly competitive fields, those with enough time, inclination and talent in traditional computer games could rise to the top.  But in modern MMOs and some other gaming genres, those with the most cash can now buy victory.  Imagine that the player or team in your favorite sport could just buy a huge advantage.  Maybe have some points on the board before the game even began.  Would you watch?  What if you were the competitor in the sport?  Would you play a match if it was rigged so that your opponent could just spend some cash and get an advantage over you?  That's basically what a lot of modern MMOs are doing.  I'm not saying that money doesn't matter in things like sports.  In fields like auto racing, football, baseball, soccer, the teams with larger budgets can gain an advantage.  I'll leave it up to you to determine if that's fair or not, and if things like salary caps do enough to maintain pure competition.  But in many MMOs and other games these days, the connection between money spent and advantage gained is direct and blatant.
    Gdemamisausagemix
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    In the end, it is our, the consumers, fault.....Ever since the early access debacle began we have come running to every game that has offered it with our wallets wide open....In the hope of the next great thing, we spend blindly and for many money is no object.
    Gdemami
    In the end, it is our, the consumers, fault.....Ever since the early access debacle began we have come running to every game that has offered it with our wallets wide open....In the hope of the next great thing, we spend blindly and for many money is no object.
    Yeah, I fell for early access at first.  I hope I've learned.
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    Kind of 50 50.  I still think Early Access isn't inherently a bad idea.  The problem is that there's also alot of developers that abuse Early Access.  They see Darkest Dungeon, Ark, or Subnautica, and they saw that those games prospered in Early Access but don't get that the reasons that they did well in Early Access was because for the most part they were demonstrating rapid levels of progress with their games, open communications, and essentially using early access as what it's supposed to be.  A system where your customers assist you in shaping how your game turns out.

The abuse comes when it's a one way street.  The developers either A. don't care what the consumers have to say about the game, or B. don't have an interest in their own project.  They'll throw words that they think sound good together into the summary, then go about doing whatever the hell they want to.  They are lazy and greedy.  They ask for money and don't have a single ounce of their own heart or blood into whatever pile of donkey feces that they shovel into the consumer's face.  

Like I said, Early Access isn't a demon.  Games can flourish into amazing and phenomenal games in early access.  Those three earlier are good examples.  Don't Starve Together, Besieged, and Kerbal Space Program are another three that are good examples.  The developers that see Early Access as meaning "I can get paid but don't actually have to finish a game," those are the villains, and unfortunately alot of us (myself included) wind up getting duped into buying those games and supporting developers who don't have games and us in their interests. 

(Rant aside though I'd say the issue here isn't early access but rather crowd funding project ideas.  I'd actually give CoE more of a benefit of the doubt if they had something tangible to count as early access.  The issue right now is the fact that there's isn't anything except some pictures and Caspian telling everyone "DONT WORRY.  ITS FINE)
    GdemamiPalebane
    WBadger said:
    Kind of 50 50.  I still think Early Access isn't inherently a bad idea.  The problem is that there's also alot of developers that abuse Early Access.  They see Darkest Dungeon, Ark, or Subnautica, and they saw that those games prospered in Early Access but don't get that the reasons that they did well in Early Access was because for the most part they were demonstrating rapid levels of progress with their games, open communications, and essentially using early access as what it's supposed to be.  A system where your customers assist you in shaping how your game turns out.

The abuse comes when it's a one way street.  The developers either A. don't care what the consumers have to say about the game, or B. don't have an interest in their own project.  They'll throw words that they think sound good together into the summary, then go about doing whatever the hell they want to.  They are lazy and greedy.  They ask for money and don't have a single ounce of their own heart or blood into whatever pile of donkey feces that they shovel into the consumer's face.  

Like I said, Early Access isn't a demon.  Games can flourish into amazing and phenomenal games in early access.  Those three earlier are good examples.  Don't Starve Together, Besieged, and Kerbal Space Program are another three that are good examples.  The developers that see Early Access as meaning "I can get paid but don't actually have to finish a game," those are the villains, and unfortunately alot of us (myself included) wind up getting duped into buying those games and supporting developers who don't have games and us in their interests. 

(Rant aside though I'd say the issue here isn't early access but rather crowd funding project ideas.  I'd actually give CoE more of a benefit of the doubt if they had something tangible to count as early access.  The issue right now is the fact that there's isn't anything except some pictures and Caspian telling everyone "DONT WORRY.  ITS FINE)
    It seems that some games more limited in scope can do well in early access and/or with crowdfunding.  It just hasn't proven very successful yet for MMOs.  In almost every case so far, the developers have either run out of money or lost their way during the long development process.
    EponyxDamorGdemami
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Ungood said:

The spirit of competition.  As with all truly competitive fields, those with enough time, inclination and talent in traditional computer games could rise to the top.  But in modern MMOs and some other gaming genres, those with the most cash can now buy victory.  Imagine that the player or team in your favorite sport could just buy a huge advantage.  Maybe have some points on the board before the game even began.  Would you watch?  What if you were the competitor in the sport?  Would you play a match if it was rigged so that your opponent could just spend some cash and get an advantage over you?  That's basically what a lot of modern MMOs are doing.  I'm not saying that money doesn't matter in things like sports.  In fields like auto racing, football, baseball, soccer, the teams with larger budgets can gain an advantage.  I'll leave it up to you to determine if that's fair or not, and if things like salary caps do enough to maintain pure competition.  But in many MMOs and other games these days, the connection between money spent and advantage gained is direct and blatant.
    You act like sports aren't pay to win already! the only difference is they not only want to win, but have people pay to watch them play, which is likely more profitable when there appears to be some kind of competition.
    Ungood said:

You act like sports aren't pay to win already! the only difference is they not only want to win, but have people pay to watch them play, which is likely more profitable when there appears to be some kind of competition.
    Did you even read what I said?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Nobility will lose their titles and lands.  To other nobility.
    Some may just quit and maybe some peasant sneaks his way in after rising through the ranks for years.

But a random schlep is not going to overthrow the king no matter how great his twitch skills are. The king will have paid for massive advantages such as guards, equipment (weapons armor), technology buffs (better weapons and armor).  He has massive resources.  He also makes the laws and can simply decree you KOS to the NPCs. Even if by some miracle you "assassinate" the king.  He simply respawns, or moves to one of his dozen alt accounts which he has named as next in line of succession.   And if you find a King that is just a total bumbling idiot and somehow loses territory to some random group of 20...  those 20 would still not have the rights of the King to set laws etc.  They would just be squatters.

So yeah, the nobles will lose their towns, possessions and titles, but the overwhelming majority of those losses will be to other nobles who paid for similar or greater in game advantages.  The only exception to that is likely to be huge groups of players who simply quit the game and leave a void.

And that is actually fairly likely.  From what I understand, we have already had a "King" that went dark and apparently had his Kingdom taken from him for non-participation.  Right now they have promised the game to be everything to everyone.  Once folks get into the game and start seeing reality the numbers will dwindle via mass exodus.

This would be true even if CoE was everything it promised.  Many people do not like losing their stuff.  When someone is killed and has to buy a new spark to play again... many are simply going to walk away.   When Kings and Dukes and Counts have their towns and cities taken... they will walk away.  Some will stay sure.  Some people (like me) understand it's just pixels and losing is part of the game.  But that's a minority.

Gdemamianemo

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Some may just quit and maybe some peasant sneaks his way in after rising through the ranks for years.

But a random schlep is not going to overthrow the king no matter how great his twitch skills are. The king will have paid for massive advantages such as guards, equipment (weapons armor), technology buffs (better weapons and armor).  He has massive resources.  He also makes the laws and can simply decree you KOS to the NPCs. Even if by some miracle you "assassinate" the king.  He simply respawns, or moves to one of his dozen alt accounts which he has named as next in line of succession.   And if you find a King that is just a total bumbling idiot and somehow loses territory to some random group of 20...  those 20 would still not have the rights of the King to set laws etc.  They would just be squatters.

So yeah, the nobles will lose their towns, possessions and titles, but the overwhelming majority of those losses will be to other nobles who paid for similar or greater in game advantages.  The only exception to that is likely to be huge groups of players who simply quit the game and leave a void.

And that is actually fairly likely.  From what I understand, we have already had a "King" that went dark and apparently had his Kingdom taken from him for non-participation.  Right now they have promised the game to be everything to everyone.  Once folks get into the game and start seeing reality the numbers will dwindle via mass exodus.

This would be true even if CoE was everything it promised.  Many people do not like losing their stuff.  When someone is killed and has to buy a new spark to play again... many are simply going to walk away.   When Kings and Dukes and Counts have their towns and cities taken... they will walk away.  Some will stay sure.  Some people (like me) understand it's just pixels and losing is part of the game.  But that's a minority.

Also remember those of us nobles that will be giving out titles away in "elections".

I don't intend to stay a noble forever and will be holding an election within maybe 3 months of full release offering a player or player group the option to take over my village
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol you guys still think they are making a mmorpg. Thats funny.
    AnOldFart said:

Also remember those of us nobles that will be giving out titles away in "elections".

I don't intend to stay a noble forever and will be holding an election within maybe 3 months of full release offering a player or player group the option to take over my village
    There are supposed to be (per Caspien) a hundred thousand characters per server.   If 10 of you do this (which is an extremely high number IMHO) it would be a 0.01% frequency.  Even that 0.01% though is only reflective of the lowest tiers.  It's extraordinarily unlikely that a King is going to just have a general election and allow random peasants to "win a kingdom!'

We shall see though :)  And yes... I admit that I do not support Caspien's belief that he will have all these players, but that point stands it will be an extreme aberration of the normal experience and not something even slightly common.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I wonder how much rage would happen if said whales server would close and they merge it with others :)
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Ungood said:

I don't view MMO's as competitive, or even "Sport Like" they are nowadays reward filled nonsense that gives the illusion of progress and achievement, and little more than that.

Now, going to be honest here, I enjoy PvP, hell I am playing matches in an Arena Game as I post, I also enjoy MOBA's, BR's, and the like.. but going to be very blunt, I don't care for MMO PvP mainly given the massive shitstorm that some of these games call balance, when they combine gear grind imbalances, class imbalance, level imbalances,  and other factors that can contribute to imbalanced play into their PvP, I don't think at that point buying/selling raw character power would actually be all that noticeable, and losers could use it as a crutch as to why they lost.

It would only really matter IF they first had built an amazingly balanced PvP system.. and then ruined it with P2W, but, that is not what we have here.. not even close.

It's like crying about the kind of bread they used to make a shit sandwich.
    Palebane
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

I wonder how much rage would happen if said whales server would close and they merge it with others :)
    In another "awesome" design decision they created 4 totally different maps. Well, they haven't actually gotten them created in game yet but they have nice looking pictures! In addition to being a nightmare to maintain 4 different scenarios, it will make consolidation very hard.

I always said they should have just had one clean server without the taint of P2King crap... but you know everyone would select that server so there wouldn't be enough peasants for the nobles to Lord over.
    Gdemami

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

From what I understand, we have already had a "King" that went dark and apparently had his Kingdom taken from him for non-participation.  Right now they have promised the game to be everything to everyone.  Once folks get into the game and start seeing reality the numbers will dwindle via mass exodus.

That is very unlikely. Many kings have gone dark over the years. There was one from an NA server that went quiet for so long, half the dukes jumped ship. Nothing happened to that kingdom. Why wouldn't they take from all the other afk titled holders? Or the king on NAE that doesn't want to do any recruiting before launch happens.

I do agree with the rest of you post. People are going to utterly lose it, when they do lose their title/stuff. Most people in general can't handle getting ganked in a normal MMO. I can't see it ending well here. 
    Gdemami
    Never happen, so nothing to worry about.

This game has a few key factors that make it so that Low Populations won't hurt servers, and in fact are actually attractive.

• Limited Resources. According to the Game Design each world starts with a fixed amount of resources, so less people actually playing means more resources for those that are actively playing, so low pop servers are in fact attractive to anyone that wants to "get ahead" in this game, as such, there is no reason to merge the servers.
    • OPC:There will be people playing, regardless if they are playing or not, this means, there will be activity.
    • Less Conflict: Low Population means less risk of wars due to simply not enough soldiers, this those with titles are more secure in low pop servers then those in high pop servers, which will have the numbers to wage wars and topple kingdoms.
    Basically, unlike traditional MMO's where people feel the need for lots of other people to be around to go and do stuff with, like dungeons, raids, or whatever, this game does not have such a set up, this game ideally built for players that will enjoy a kind of "world development", which does not require lots of people.
    KyleranAnOldFart

• kjellemannkjellemann Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Torrsk said:
    Everyone that has a title, know they are just the first to lose it. I can throw thousands at SBS. Doesn't mean it's going to stop the horde of people come launch from taking it. If anything, it's smarter if a gaming group. Came in with nothing but the most basic package and then just raid everyone for everything else. 

Did you know too gain a title in-game you need the votes of the nobels.
    You think anyone will vote out one of their own even if you got a in-game casus bell?
    Nope.

The Secret World

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Torrsk said:

You think anyone will vote out one of their own even if you got a in-game casus bell?
    Nope.
    Really you got a quote for that? AFAIK if you have a casus belli all you gotta to is take and hold the seat of power for a specific amount of time
    Torrsk said:

Nope.
    Really you got a quote for that? AFAIK if you have a casus belli all you gotta to is take and hold the seat of power for a specific amount of time
    This of course would require that you be able to fend off the other nobles. This seems to be something people are missing, just because you beat one, does not mean their others won't come on over and stomp you through the earth, after all, killing some upstart avoids all the drama and political issues of taking a fellow nobles land, for them, letting some peon with a ragtag band of ruffians take out someone they never liked anyway, is an easy land grab for them, now they get to swoop in, kill the upstart, and take the land and all the resources all the while looking like the "Good Guy"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    If this game ever releases I am definitely playing on the side of Chaos,  Order is for suckers.

>:) 
    bcbullyUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Goonsquad 
    bcbully

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Torrsk said:

Nope.
    Thus faction wars!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"