Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Titan Network Negotiating with NCSoft About a Legal City of Heroes Server - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The reality of the shutdown is not as extreme as many express. At the time of the shutdown, Paragon studios was operating at a loss. There were several attempts to sell the gaming operations + studio to third parties, but these did not work out. It should not be hard for any party seriously interested to get permission to operate the servers using the publicly available codebase.
    MadFrenchie
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    BTW The SCORE server is back up and running as of this morning.
    gunklacker

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Ratero said:
    BTW The SCORE server is back up and running as of this morning.
    Indeed this was posted on page one in my update from discord.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Sorry about that then.  I've been up almost 3 days straight due to issues at work and I only pop in to read bits and pieces so I have missed a lot recently.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Asm0deus said:

...snip....

on another topic, I do hope the private server goes back up as I'll probably try it out and be semi-excited about an MMO.

Guessing you didn't read the updates I posted?

well it is a temporary server apparently. And no, i didn't read your update. I was working. Perhaps, I'll try it out tonight or so.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

I was working.

Screenshots or it didn't happen. :D
    SovrathAsm0deus

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

I trust for profit companies to ultimately make decisions in their best interest.  Any other expectation will lead to disappointment far more often than not.

There is a little company called ENRON that you might want to read about as its history might enlighten you about how those types decisions by a company can hurt both their customers and their investors.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    The reality of the shutdown is not as extreme as many express. At the time of the shutdown, Paragon studios was operating at a loss. There were several attempts to sell the gaming operations + studio to third parties, but these did not work out. It should not be hard for any party seriously interested to get permission to operate the servers using the publicly available codebase.
    I would disagree with some of this:   Paragon Studios may have been operating at a loss, but that was due to the extra employees working on two other projects.   Projects that NCSoft wanted.  The CoH part of the team was bringing in  a profit.  And the 'Attempts to sell' were initiated by others.  A few leaked details of the deals showed them to be quite slanted towards NCSoft, but they weren't interested.

I suspect cultural differences and business maneuvering were the holdups.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• lighttechyahlighttechyah Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I look at it this way
    the game has been down for 6 years

and NC has 2 choices
    1 fight all of this forever bleeding money to attorney after attorney in trying to shut servers down...like putting the BLAST back in a bomb that went off!

or
    2 just give in and then have 2 other choices

1 let the fans run a server and pay for its upkeep like a charity does
    or
    grab LAST YEARS old servers, that are better than COH ever had...fix the game a little and charge like 10 or 5$ per month or 100 or 50per year and make money
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

I trust for profit companies to ultimately make decisions in their best interest.  Any other expectation will lead to disappointment far more often than not.

There is a little company called ENRON that you might want to read about as its history might enlighten you about how those types decisions by a company can hurt both their customers and their investors.
    Yeah, for three years running the Forbes 'CEO of the Year' was under felony indictment the next year.  And all well deserved....
    Blaze_Rocker

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TwoCatsGamingTwoCatsGaming Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Well that's an interesting twist. Here's hoping things go favorably. Would be great to let a server run for those who'd like to return to CoX. 

Heck, I'd probably play. I had some fun characters. Would be great to revisit them.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
       MisterZebub said:
    SBFord said:
    Well, interestinger and interestinger.

I hope the community server works out through legal channels. So much more preferable than the way it was being done recently.

If this comes to fruition, I hope everyone who has been bad-mouthing NCSoft considers that maybe they should learn all the facts first before saying such hateful, negative things. This situation has been fluid from the start, and so many rumors and rumors of rumors have flown. The "wait and see how things fall into place" attitude was, and always is, a good course of action.
    I seriously hope this works out. I'd love the chance to knock around the CoX universe again. However what's more fun really? Sitting peacefully around a camp fire singing kumbaya, or running around ON fire, screaming . . .

In my playtime I remember many a hero running around on fire and screaming.

Ahhh, good times. :)

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited April 2019
    Sorry not this thread. This is not using the stolen data.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well, if this negotiation is not "can we open it for free" ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Negotitations. lol

You don't steal someone else' shit then negotiate with the owner on how you're gonna run it. I'ma laugh if NCSoft is just gathering info via "negotiations", just so they can shut talks down when they have all the info they can get and hit the morons with it in court.
    the people of the titan network didn't steal anything though. . .nor are they threatening NCSoft "with stealing thier shit" and running a private server.

you literally have zero information on the subject at hand yet I see you have  strong opinions about it regardless.

maybe you should go back and read @SBFord 's first post ( 2nd in the actual thread ) about getting all the facts before slinging hateful insults. . .

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    I would disagree with some of this:   Paragon Studios may have been operating at a loss, but that was due to the extra employees working on two other projects.   Projects that NCSoft wanted.  The CoH part of the team was bringing in  a profit.  And the 'Attempts to sell' were initiated by others.  A few leaked details of the deals showed them to be quite slanted towards NCSoft, but they weren't interested.

Let me put it this way. Our company was in a position to buy the game + studio. We declined after looking into the specifics. I cant give you the specifics, but reason we declined was not NCSoft.
    [Deleted User]joemezcal
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    cheyane said:
    I am afraid you are mistaken.

These servers and the private invite only server that has been running for years are not emu servers.  No dev's reverse engineered the code like in the private swg emu server.

They're using code straight up from NCsoft, not saying they didn't tweak stuff or add more but no reverse engineering took place, no code was "rewritten"... which is why private servers didn't take years of work to get a fully functioning private server.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Asm0deus said:
    cheyane said:
    I am afraid you are mistaken.

These servers and the private invite only server that has been running for years are not emu servers.  No dev's reverse engineered the code like in the private swg emu server.

They're using code straight up from NCsoft, not saying they didn't tweak stuff or add more but no reverse engineering took place, no code was "rewritten"... which is why private servers didn't take years of work to get a fully functioning private server.
    Yeah mistook them for SEGS
    Chamber of Chains
  • pad07pad07 Member UncommonPosts: 19

Sandmanjw said:

Never gonna happen.

never say never.. there is at least 1 precedent. The saga of ryzom.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    pad07 said:

Sandmanjw said:

Never gonna happen.

never say never.. there is at least 1 precedent. The saga of ryzom.
    Very true indeed. But in that case they gave all of it to a loyal group of players instead of shutting it down. In this case the developers shut it down, the code was stolen and used, six years later the thieves were exposed, they then shared all of it with the internet so everyone and his dog could start a CoX server and now want to talk with NCsoft if they can pretty please keep doing it. That is a lot worse of a position to be in when starting negotiations. And when I say negotiations I am using that word very loosely.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Mendel
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited April 2019
    Fanbase is greater than a bunch of suits. Prometheus isn't going to give the secret of fire back to the Gods either. Before everyone gets judgemental like armchair lawyers, enjoy keeping warm during your long winters.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    nyxium said:
    Fanbase is greater than a bunch of suits. Prometheus isn't going to give the secret of fire back to the Gods either. Before everyone gets judgemental like armchair lawyers, enjoy keeping warm during your long winters.
    I love analogies that compare fantasy stories to real world theft, or hardcore fans to reality, not much difference tbh.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

sayuu
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    nyxium said:
    I dont even know what this means, but i like it :)
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited April 2019
    i look at this like a hostage situation, NCsoft is just stalling until they can get there sniper in position for the head shot....
    [Deleted User]

Let me put it this way. Our company was in a position to buy the game + studio. We declined after looking into the specifics. I cant give you the specifics, but reason we declined was not NCSoft.
    Interesting.  Will put this in the proverbial info file.  Thanks!