Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: A Look at the Heart of Azeroth 8.2 System - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: A Look at the Heart of Azeroth 8.2 System - MMORPG.com

With the release of a ton of information about World of Warcraft Patch 8.2 recently and it being on the PTR now we can finally look at how the new Azerite system will work. Today we'll take a look at how the system works so far and how it may help or hurt the issues we are currently facing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    I hadn't played since Cataclysm. They got me to buy into the latest expansion with the offer of not having to buy all the previous expansions I missed. I played for about two weeks.

I just can't do it anymore. It is just not fun to me.

I feel like if someone had never played a video game in their life, this game is what you would use to "educate" them on the very basics of gaming. The whole game is just some really long, very basic tutorial.

Where is the game this game is training people to play? What's the next level? We never got it.

Hope still springs eternal though.
    natpickMaddog666TokkenAndonSage

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Hope you guys continue to have fun re-farming azerite armor sets for the rest of the expansion unless they change their stance on reforge costs.
    SBFordViper482
  • DarksulDarksul Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Dead game quit while your ahead, blizzard has turned into crap ware
    BaalzharonMaddog666truewarlordScellow

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Still waiting for the Vulpera.
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited April 2019
    All threads about WoW turn into nothing but shitposts on this site. We get it, you're either no longer playing or you're waiting for classic.

I enjoy the game. I dislike the Azerite system but I enjoy the overall game none-the-less. What people seem to forget is that WoW is way more than just endgame. Don't like the current end game? There's literally thousands of hours worth of other things to do. Achievement hunting, mount searching, dailies, reps, rares, pet battles, random events like the brawlers guild.

Judging everything WoW offers based solely on what the end game is, is just a flawed view in my eyes. But yeah, fuck the Azerite system for replacing the artifact weapons. Not sure what they were thinking there, but at least they seem to be taking steps to fix it.
    [Deleted User]Maddog666MadFrenchieKeller
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

All threads about WoW turn into nothing but shitposts on this site. We get it, you're either no longer playing or you're waiting for classic.

I enjoy the game. I dislike the Azerite system but I enjoy the overall game none-the-less. What people seem to forget is that WoW is way more than just endgame. Don't like the current end game? There's literally thousands of hours worth of other things to do. Achievement hunting, mount searching, dailies, reps, rares, pet battles, random events like the brawlers guild.

Judging everything WoW offers based solely on what the end game is, is just a flawed view in my eyes.

But yeah, fuck the Azerite system for replacing the artifact weapons. Not sure what they were thinking there, but at least they seem to be taking steps to fix it.

But that is the end game? 0.o .. if its not than it is leveling, or am i wrong to think that endgame is everything after you hit max level?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Well, @SBFord shitposting WoW news stories everyone else obviously thinks that shitposting WoW is condoned by the MMORPG.com staff.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    jgDuffay said:

Judging everything WoW offers based solely on what the end game is, is just a flawed view in my eyes.

But yeah, fuck the Azerite system for replacing the artifact weapons. Not sure what they were thinking there, but at least they seem to be taking steps to fix it.

But that is the end game? 0.o .. if its not than it is leveling, or am i wrong to think that endgame is everything after you hit max level?
    I get what you're saying.  I think @halfmystic was delineating between a more traditional "endgame" such as raiding, whereas thing like pet battles and such are considered less traditional "endgame" content.

Xiaoki said:
    Well, @SBFord shitposting WoW news stories everyone else obviously thinks that shitposting WoW is condoned by the MMORPG.com staff.
    Sharing one's displeasure with the state or direction of a game is not necessarily shitposting, though it can end up that way depending upon the delivery.  And knowing the context Suzie has, as well as having read the content of her criticisms, I can say with conviction she hasn't been shitposting.
    halfmystic

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited April 2019
    "The first minor slot opens at Heart level 55, and the final one unlocks at heart level 65." If this is true Blizzard already screwed the pooch. No one is coming back to grind out HoA levels. F**k you Blizzard.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • truewarlordtruewarlord Member UncommonPosts: 78
    WoW is more than a game, it's like a TV show that everyone wants to know what happens next with their loved characters. But better, because you're fighting side by side with the iconic NPCs you love.

You guys really need to relax, unless you're the kind of player that wants to have your name in the top of some list that no one really cares, "endgame" is just entertainment, take it slowly and enjoy the ride.
  • 420everyday420everyday Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    This game is more rip than a body on on first48
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    they haven't prepared the future, they had multiple opportunities to change engine, or remaster the game to give it another 10 years, but they failed, now all they see is decreasing numbers of active subs month after month, KARMA
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Still waiting for the Vulpera.

Vulpera gonna be amazing, better than stupid dumpster gnomes that alliance are gonna get

San'layn is gonna be amazing too, and that one is pretty much confirmed

So horde get...

Vulpera (will be Goblin's allied race)
    San'layn (almost for sure this will be the Forsaken's allied race, its one with most sense)

Horde already have
    Zandalari Trolls (best current allied race by far)
    Mag'Har Orcs (I think they are great)
    Nightborne (2nd best current allied race)

So horde get 4 amazing allied races and almost certainly a 5th one with San'layn

And yes there is more, but I listed the good ones (in terms of popularity and positive comments on them. personally I like highmountain tauren, but most don't like them it seems, they aren't very played)

Alliance have

Lightforged Draenei (I like them, too similar to Draenei but great lore)
    Void Elves (I kinda like them, but I like blues and purples. Lore sucks though)
    Kul'Tiran (2nd best alliance allied race in terms of looks+lore and 4th best allied race in the game)
    Dark Iron Dwarves (#1 best alliance allied race, and current 3rd best allied race in the game in terms of lore/looks. Though I may put Kul'tiran)

And...

Dumpster gnomes 

So alliance get 4 decent races, but one with extremely bad lore and really alliance wanted high elves not blue elves. And a race barely anyone wants. So while the same amount of "decent" races as horde, but one that is barely different than normal draenei (and terrible racials on top of that, their "forge" racial is an anvil and can't even smelt ore) and one with the worst lore I've seen in a race.

So lets look at the confirmed races

Vulpera is a brand new race, all new lore, though a re-skin of Goblins pretty much. But we've seen them a ton in BFA

Dumpster gnomes...uh...okay I guess if you like gnomes? But they are worse than gnomes and look like they belong in a mad max style setting. While Vulpera is a re-skin of goblins, everything about them is new and exotic. Dumpster gnomes are just gnomes with dumpster parts

And if San'layn becomes a thing, which its almost a sure thing as there isn't another forsaken allied race that would fit (val'kyr will never be a thing)...will top Zandalari for best allied race for me personally. Though I like the idea of vampiric undead elves that look amazing and better than even high elves... but pretty big into vampire lore and history. 

So alliance get mostly junk allied races, on top of junk horse mount re-skins, with junk lore and horde pretty much get all the good stuff. Though at least Kul'Tiran are pretty cool if one likes pirates, and they do have 3rd best allied race with dark iron dwarves.

Though, if you compare Zandalari to Kul'Tiran, Zandalari are vastly more populated and liked a lot more by the overall playerbase. The only real "successful" allied race for alliance is Void Elves. And success means numbers, because in the end numbers matter than whatever someone feels is better. Personally I don't like void elves, their lore is the worst. But they are by far most populated Alliance allied race with no competition.

And the two future Horde allied races will be just so superior to whatever Alliance get. And dumpster gnomes will almost certainly end up least populated allied race in the game, even behind Highmountain. Barely anyone plays Gnomes as it is.

Why do you think Vulpera are coming? You forgot Highmountain Tauren, so your numbers re off. If the horde are getting more of the same model elves I'd rather make a dumpster gnome. Especially if those elves also do the head tilt that makes 99% of headgear look like crap.
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    paulytheb said:
    Where is the game this game is training people to play? What's the next level? We never got it.
    Especially since the very 8.2 changes were DEMANDED by players, because the Azerite system failed to offer traits and/or stats needed for the "New WoW" formula (with the huge HP and damage rates).

The game feels every bit like it's gated, especially with stats and keeping people to play longer for less content overall.

When BfA first started and people were leveling their mains, world quests and dungeons were seriously not available or overtuned. Drop rates were dismal. What used to take about 8 dungeons to get most of your gear, now even 24 runs you may get 3-4 pieces. Only way I got a weapon higher than 315 was a world drop ... and weapons are spec specific (I play a Holy Paladin, but due to all the mobs. have to quest as a Prot to not get dazed and mobbed everywhere).

Quit playing for 7 months because playing solitaire was more fun, literally.

The gating and micromanaging of stats makes the game boring as heck. 10 level gear upgrades makes your bags full of junk, as 10 levels isn't a CLEAR improvement of gear (extra 20 or so stats or about 8k stamina). So the bags are full of interesting trinkets and ring stats, but you can have 10-12 of them ... and surprise, surprise, surprise, higher level rings and trinkets only drop in the funnels of raids and mythic dungeons (any gear that makes a difference). Blizzard knows this as they're officially endorsing Raid.io to keep players behind (unless they pay, which means they'd likely buy the WoW token).
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Judging everything WoW offers based solely on what the end game is, is just a flawed view in my eyes. But yeah, fuck the Azerite system for replacing the artifact weapons. Not sure what they were thinking there, but at least they seem to be taking steps to fix it.
    People come to this site for WoW news?  This has never been the place for that.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    I believe World of Warcraft is getting to a point where it should be cancelled. Not because the game is unprofitable (it likely will be profitable for another decade) but because it is tarnishing Blizzard's reputation for putting out solid games. World of Warcraft in its current state does not exemplify that Blizzard Standard that we have all come to expect.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I just can't do it anymore and it seems I was not alone. Not by a long shot. Even classic is taking a hit at least within my IRL gaming friends. Someone asked in discord not too long ago whether we were all going to play classic and I was blown away by how many agreed with me in saying no.

None of my friends and including myself want to pay $15 a month for a 14 year old game. I was hoping for like $5 a month. I also don't like the idea of it being packaged with retail WoW sub because it can artificially inflate sub numbers. Blizzard will know the breakdown of people playing Classic vs. Retail, but it all being one packaged sub really smears the delineation.

In the end again I was blown away to find out that all but 2 of my close gaming buddies are going with FFXIV Shadowbringers this summer.
  • shadyjane63shadyjane63 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    When is wow going free to play? I play ESO now 5 years. Lately every night chat turns into new players talking about wow being worthless now. I would check it out again if it goes ftp. I have tons of gold on 2 different realms. But am happy to let it die rather than give blizz another penny. I was there from first day through Cata. Went back for legion. They gave me the other expacs free. That was what they were worth.