Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Electronic Arts: Apex Legends Disappointment Signals Substantial Pain Ahead (Article)

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
I distinctly remember a @MisterZebub posting that we should wait six months before making an assessment on how well this title would do.  Well, interest is waning heavily on Twitch and Google trends, and it didn't even take six months:

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4255691-electronic-arts-apex-legends-disappointment-signals-substantial-pain-ahead

From the article: "Although Apex did have a strong launch, this traffic was mainly acquired and not organic. EA spent millions to pay streamers to stream Apex gameplay on launch day and a few days afterwards. When the streamers quit or stopped streaming Apex, interest in Apex dropped sharply."

Just in case you weren't already sure streamers have become just about the worst version of themselves possible (I'm not shoveling blame, or at least all of it, onto the streamers here though), they're playing these games mainly because they're paid to do so, and folks are watching and talking about these games because these streamers are playing them.  Marketing!

[Deleted User]

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    Once again its the curse of chasing trends rather than setting them. And Fortnite not only grew their fanbase organically they kept them happy by continuing to grow and enhance the game. Something the Apex team seems unable to do. Sure being able to throw money around to garner interest in your product is nice, but if said product is not up to snuff that interest will wain quickly. ..... Epic Store, I'm looking right at you. >:)
    I will allow the snide comment without rebuttal as I tagged you and I don't want this to default to an Epic Store thread. ;)

The response to Apex was exactly like the response to WAR, which was exactly like the response to Rift, which was exactly....

Almost as if we gamers had been there multiple times, but we keep getting amnesia..
    [Deleted User]

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

MadFrenchieBruceYee