Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen's Chris Roberts Opines on 'Saving Anthem' - MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Roberts way of saving the game.. Simple, don't release and continue to sell fake items. problem solved of crushed hopes. Cant let people down when you cant deliver buddy!
    FlyByKnight
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    SBFord said:
    @JoeBlober Not sure if you know or not, but you can quote multiple posts and respond to them in a single post. Just quote the ones you want and all will appear in the "leave a comment" box and you can respond to each in kind. 
    Normally not practical Suzie, many don't read past the first paragraph and some not even that.

I'll multi-quote on rare occasion if two posts have basically identical points but generally such isn't the case.
    And you can't multi-post from subsequent pages or at least I can't.
    Multi-posting doesn't work for me at all. I use Chrome.
    I use ME, this site has different issues depending on what you use, but often they are the same. What happens to me is if I type a reply/quote then go on to a subsequent page all is lost.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    I am waiting for Jonathan Warner to opine on "saving Star Citizen". I have put aside some popcorn in anticipation. :)
    hfztt
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Mowzer said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Sovrath said:

Absolutely.  This was just....  Not at all the title to make the "gamers expect too much!" point about.  At all.

Hell, halfway through the campaign you're simply given a checklist of things to do with almost zero authentic context.  Just "Go collect X of these, do X of this, and murderX of these, then we'll let you continue the campaign missions!"

No, expectations played almost no role in the disappointment that was Anthem.
    Why didnt you wait till all the reviews released that pointed this and other failings out, and make a decision to not hand over your money, like I did?
    Did you not bother to read them, ignore them, or were you too impatient, why?
    I myself didn't buy it as the open beta didn't grab me, but for those that did there was ample reasons to think it was good.

The developers showcased features of the game that had more content (The amount of loot they showed in their presentations is beyond what you can currently get for instance) than the actual game has right now. Some form of disappointment is obviously guaranteed.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Mowzer said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Sovrath said:

Absolutely.  This was just....  Not at all the title to make the "gamers expect too much!" point about.  At all.

Hell, halfway through the campaign you're simply given a checklist of things to do with almost zero authentic context.  Just "Go collect X of these, do X of this, and murderX of these, then we'll let you continue the campaign missions!"

Why didnt you wait till all the reviews released that pointed this and other failings out, and make a decision to not hand over your money, like I did?
    I got it as part of my Origins membership.

Either way, it wasn't ready for release.  People buying it at release doesn't make it less true.  So, strawman much?

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135
    LOL, THE Vaporware dude is commenting about another game's expectations, while HIS multimillion dollar Vaporware has been in development for over years and years and just reached the point of a decent TECH DEMO....

Oh and then you play the game on a i7-7700k 4.2GHz, GTX 1080 ti 11 GB, 32 GB Ram + SSD drive and it has only 10 fps....

I'm ashamed to be an early backer!
    laserit
    We are all satoshi!
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I'll stick with the Division 2.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited April 2019
    alloin said:
    LOL, THE Vaporware dude is commenting about another game's expectations, while HIS multimillion dollar Vaporware has been in development for over years and years and just reached the point of a decent TECH DEMO....

Oh and then you play the game on a i7-7700k 4.2GHz, GTX 1080 ti 11 GB, 32 GB Ram + SSD drive and it has only 10 fps....

I'm ashamed to be an early backer!
    >>> and it has only 10 fps.... >>>

..... then you are doing it wrong.   (also an early backer)

I will check out Anthem in 1 year. Like NMS it might get significantly better later.

Have fun

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    You guys are just shine. :D Millenialfest. It is not "do not understand". "Do not fucking care" and "just barking at everything that moves". :D :D :D

Jeez...
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Mowzer said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Sovrath said:

Either way, it wasn't ready for release.  People buying it at release doesn't make it less true.  So, strawman much?
    If the masses actually made a stand and they only sold say 5 copies of the game in total, and if they only sold that many, theres no way they could hide that fact, so the entire world would know.
    Would you think they or any other company would try releasing an unfinished/half baked project again? 
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:

I will check out Anthem in 1 year. 
    Are we talking human year or SC year? Those two seem to differ... :wink:
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    People love bashing a game sold by EA but looking at metacritic its their worst reviewed pc game by critics since 2012. If it had been sold in a vacuum it would probably had better reviews but nowadays both destiny and division exists so the games get compared immediately.

It will be interesting if EA allow bioware to save it or if they focus everything on dragon age 4 instead.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Mowzer said:
    Mowzer said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Sovrath said:

If the masses actually made a stand and they only sold say 5 copies of the game in total, and if they only sold that many, theres no way they could hide that fact, so the entire world would know.
    Would you think they or any other company would try releasing an unfinished/half baked project again? 
    There's something like 2.2 BILLION gamers in the world.  You go ahead and try to get that many disparate individuals to agree on a course of action.

There's a reason, when the meatpacking industry got exposed, society didn't go "alright, now EVERYONE just stop buying from THESE producers, that'll take care of that! <Wipes hands>"

Policing the behavior of a relative few corporate entities is much more practical than policing tbe behavior of billions of individuals across the globe.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122

Keller said:

Didn't Sean Murray promised us being able to play with friends, but delivered that feature last summer? So it was the players fault of having high expectations for No Man's Sky after a blatant lie from the lead developer? Oh boy!

I do agree with the hypothesis. Just not the way he explains it. Hopefully he hasn't have to use this Hypothesis to defend SC when it comes out.

I recall the original claim being that the chance of running into other players was minute. Not so much as it turned out, as it didn't take very long at all.

That original intent gave way to change, obviously.

Still, they at least had the drive to carry on and eventually provide much of what was originally claimed, which a lot of developers seem to lack.

I think players do play some role in overly high game expectations in general, especially compared to those released a good time ago. Social media allows for gamers to feed off each other's hype more abundantly and quickly than previously, and that is bound to create some degree of escalation.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    hfztt said:
    Erillion said:

I will check out Anthem in 1 year. 
    Are we talking human year or SC year? Those two seem to differ... :wink:

To be more precise:

The second  is the Standard International ( SI ) unit of time. One second is the time that elapses during 9,192,631,770 (9.192631770 x 10 9 ) cycles of the radiation produced by the transition between two levels of the cesium 133 atom.

One astronomical year of a single rotation around the sun, has 365.25 days:

1 year = 365.25 days = (365.25 days)

(24 hours/day)

(3600 seconds/hour) = 31557600 seconds

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited April 2019
    EDIT: On second thought, maybe this was going too far off-topic /EDIT