Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fully functioning City of Heroes code released, public server now open!

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    cheyane said:
    I attempted to log into the server to check out how "complete" the game seemed to be, but could only login to an empty starter zone with no way to slot my powers.  Hotkey 1 activated flight (for some reason) and hotkey 2 pulled out a torch, of all things.

Not sure what went wrong.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    A lot of people are saying they're in talks with NCSoft and that scrubbing all player data is the sticking point to letting the server run. Speculative rumor at best, but it would be awesome and would buy NCS a lot of good will.
    That would be incredibly cool, but I'll believe it when I see it. If they refused to sell the IP I see little reason why they would just give it away.
    For the time being, I'm chalking it up to wishful thinking.
    Hard to imagine the people who stole NCSoft's property negotiating to say 'Could we have the bits we missed?'.  Wishful thinking, at best.  Unsubstantiated internet rumor, most likely.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well.. I'll chime in.

I don't think NCSoft should shut down the servers, but, they should at the very least make an example of the people that originally stole their code, and drag them through the courts and destroy their life and future, kinda what they need to do to, to stop anyone else from trying to do the same, if they go too easy on the original thief, everyone will want to try and steal their stuff. 

As for the other pop up servers, and what have you, they could simply demand nominal royalties to use their code and call it done, after all, they would just be free money for them, and no real effort on their part.. say 1% of the hosts profits.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ungood said:
    Well.. I'll chime in.

I don't think NCSoft should shut down the servers, but, they should at the very least make an example of the people that originally stole their code, and drag them through the courts and destroy their life and future, kinda what they need to do to, to stop anyone else from trying to do the same, if they go too easy on the original thief, everyone will want to try and steal their stuff. 

As for the other pop up servers, and what have you, they could simply demand nominal royalties to use their code and call it done, after all, they would just be free money for them, and no real effort on their part.. say 1% of the hosts profits.

What you say is probably a good mid-line of NCSoft's future actions.  But equally plausible is them doing nothing at all to a complete jihad against anyone using COH code.  How far to the extremes they will go is anyone's guess.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Ungood said:
    Well.. I'll chime in.

I don't see any evidence of any host profiting from the CoH code.  NCSoft would get a whole 1% of nothing.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Ungood said:
    Well.. I'll chime in.

I don't see any evidence of any host profiting from the CoH code.  NCSoft would get a whole 1% of nothing.
    I think they are insinuating there would be some form of donation, so the 1% of that. But I do know a lot of the passion project servers tend to not even have a donation option. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2019
    As much as I love City of Heroes, there is no way I am giving my credit card info to just whomever, instead of to a large company against whom I have recourse if they steal it. 
    GladDogAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Amathe said:
    As much as I love City of Heroes, there is no way I am giving my credit card info to just whomever, instead of to a large company against whom I have recourse if they steal it. 
    You all know how much I am anticipating Ship of Heroes.  My biggest problem is that I was not having fun with any 'filler' games until SoH starts their beta.  Now I have a good filler game!

The people running the CoH private server do not want any money right now.  They need to wait to ensure NCsoft is not going to take any action.  When they are ready and need funds, they will probably use PayPal, because that way they never need to see a credit card number.
    KyleranArglebarglewingood

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Bets on how long it takes for the soulless bean counters at NCsoft issue cease and desist hell hounds on the owners of those servers.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Hmmm, from what I can tell right now the new server, website and all have gone dark. Not sure if its them upgrading or something sinister. Guess we'll find out soon.
    Aye noticed that  :s
    Chamber of Chains
    Ungood said:
    Well.. I'll chime in.

Which is what they were making after they shut the game down.. so it's not a loss to them either way.. it's just potential money, not actual, and they don't need to do any work for it.

It would also be a means to keep these "Passion Projects" doing everything they can to not install a cash shop, or sub, or any direct means to generate profits, if they knew, by doing so, they would have to pay out to NCSoft.

Just saying.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MonsieurXMonsieurX Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited April 2019
    MadFrenchie said:

I attempted to log into the server to check out how "complete" the game seemed to be, but could only login to an empty starter zone with no way to slot my powers.  Hotkey 1 activated flight (for some reason) and hotkey 2 pulled out a torch, of all things.
    Not sure what went wrong.

Assuming you followed the registering process for both forum and game posted on page 6 or so of this thread, you must selected "score" on the tequila launcher, log in with the game user account/password you created previously, this should get you into "bree" server.

"Account creation for the test server is now available. The process to create an account is as follows. 

1.) Sign into your score forum account at this link. http://score.savecoh.com/ 

2.) Once you sign into your forum account proceed to the account creation portion of the website using the following link. https://score.savecoh.com/account/ "

Then you just need to download the client & login via your game account: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12479.0
    edited April 2019
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Well.. I'll chime in.

Which is what they were making after they shut the game down.. so it's not a loss to them either way.. it's just potential money, not actual, and they don't need to do any work for it.

It would also be a means to keep these "Passion Projects" doing everything they can to not install a cash shop, or sub, or any direct means to generate profits, if they knew, by doing so, they would have to pay out to NCSoft.

Just saying.
    I agree that the best way forward would be a limited licensing agreement that allows such a server under oversight by NCSoft merely to ensure the private server admins keep the server available however is agreed and that the admins aren't attempting to profit from the server.  If NCSoft wishes for them to pay a fee, and they pass that along to the gamers playing on the server, cool.

But the private server admins themselves haven't been seeking money or attempting to profit.  These folks just seem to genuinely wanna play City of Heroes again.
    Arglebarglewingood

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited April 2019
    Due to the nature of live hosing of games, I really feel there needs to be some updated laws detailing the transition of IPs to the public domain after abandonment. 

If you sell a physical product, you can still use it after it's not being manufactured anymore. You can often still maintain it through aftermarket products.

Hosted software cannot continue to be used this way. These companies are basically walking into your house and taking back the product you paid for as you can no longer use it ever again once they stop hosting it.

The internet is highly dynamic and our consumer protection laws need to catch up and apply strict definitions on what consumers actually pay for.
    MadFrenchieGdemami

You stay sassy!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited April 2019
    Been taken down....till the next private server pops up I guess
    As it stands, we are heading into legal fuckery. My hands are shaking as I type this up, so please bear with me. The entire project is in jeopardy, but the only feasible solution we have is for me to set up an LLC and fight what is happening at this time. I am risking everything for a community I love. I am doing everything I can to defend those who were involved in this situation. I am going to get fucked sideways over the next few months to years, and things are going to put me into some major legal turmoil. I will have lawyers out the ass, and I will be put into personal jeopardy. This is a project I am going to sink with, and I WILL do everything in my power to get done. I am praying for mercy right now. I am extremely emotional right now and I feel the ten years I once decidated to this game is being ripped out from under me again. I appeciate the support I've had from the community. I have to break the one promise I wanted with every fiber of my bewing to uphold, since I'm just a fucking semi truck driver. A fucking. Truck driver. I am going down on this ship. This is my hill to fdie on. I will fight tootyh and nail to get EVERYTHING we fought for back. I know its tough asking anonymous for support, but I'm in for a rough fucking right. I have no way to make a closing statement, so I may as well go as fucking cheesy as I can. Glory to Arachnos.

Ungood

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wow, major kudos to the guy who is forming an LLC. Talk about balls to the walls. Good luck for everyone. 

We will see how this goes. 
    Ungoodwingood
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Tamanous said:
    Due to the nature of live hosing of games, I really feel there needs to be some updated laws detailing the transition of IPs to the public domain after abandonment. 

If you sell a physical product, you can still use it after it's not being manufactured anymore. You can often still maintain it through aftermarket products.

Hosted software cannot continue to be used this way. These companies are basically walking into your house and taking back the product you paid for as you can no longer use it ever again once they stop hosting it.

The internet is highly dynamic and our consumer protection laws need to catch up and apply strict definitions on what consumers actually pay for.
    How well does that old TIVO box you bought and paid for work for you these days?

Mine makes a terrific doorstop, not good for much else.

You never bought a game, you bought software to connect to a service which has since been discontinued.

AlbatroessayuuUngoodLokeroZenJelly

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Kyleran said:
    Tamanous said:

How well does that old TIVO box you bought and paid for work for you these days?

You never bought a game, you bought software to connect to a service which has since been discontinued.

Unfortunately, people don't read. This stuff was written on the box they got their physical disc in and also in that long terms of services that every clicks without reading. Instead of harping on this, people should be more worried that MOST games in general are like this now. No one ever owns a game anymore and honestly can't due to day one patches. No one bats an eye when the original game changes without your 'consent' (which you're honestly consenting to because again, you have to click those long ass terms before downloading anything and its all buried in them) because these companies that hold your games hostage have to pay continuous agreements on stuff like music and if they choose to stop, they have to remove said music from your game (just look at all the GTA games on pc). But hey, small price to pay for convenience right?
    AlBQuirkyAlmostLancelot
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So what do i have to do to play this thing ? I missed it the first time around
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Tamanous said:

The DMCA law in america was changed YEARS ago to allow nonprofit organizations to host digital services that have been discontinued as long as they adhered to strict guide lines outlined in the DMCA, I suggest you go read it.

. . .or stay willfully ignorant I dont really  care either way.
    KyleranAlmostLancelotGdemami
    So what do i have to do to play this thing ? I missed it the first time around

You missed it again.

As it stands, we are heading into legal fuckery. My hands are shaking as I type this up, so please bear with me. The entire project is in jeopardy, but the only feasible solution we have is for me to set up an LLC and fight what is happening at this time. I am risking everything for a community I love. I am doing everything I can to defend those who were involved in this situation. I am going to get fucked sideways over the next few months to years, and things are going to put me into some major legal turmoil. I will have lawyers out the ass, and I will be put into personal jeopardy. This is a project I am going to sink with, and I WILL do everything in my power to get done. I am praying for mercy right now. I am extremely emotional right now and I feel the ten years I once decidated to this game is being ripped out from under me again. I appeciate the support I've had from the community. I have to break the one promise I wanted with every fiber of my bewing to uphold, since I'm just a fucking semi truck driver. A fucking. Truck driver. I am going down on this ship. This is my hill to fdie on. I will fight tootyh and nail to get EVERYTHING we fought for back. I know its tough asking anonymous for support, but I'm in for a rough fucking right. I have no way to make a closing statement, so I may as well go as fucking cheesy as I can. Glory to Arachnos.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Let's discuss the closure of the server here:

https://www.mmorpg.com/city-of-heroes/news/city-of-heroes-private-server-shut-down-and-on-a-direct-course-for-legal-action-1000052252

Lots of new things people can discuss as they analyze what the server admin wrote.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This server, as of right now, has to be shut down indefinitely. We are on a direct course for legal action. As such, steps must be taken in order to protect the people involved in this project, their families, and their futures. As with all of you, we are heartbroken. We wanted to see our City return, but to do so at the destruction of the lives of those involved is too great a risk to take. However, this project is not finished. We will continue to work towards the revival of City of Heroes with all efforts that we can make. We cannot give you all a time frame at this time. We are in discussions to do what we can to revive some form of the server, however we do not wish to commit to a point in the future that we may not be able to reach. You have trusted us to this point. We ask you to extend that trust, and we will in turn do everything within our power to prove to you that we are deserving of it.
    https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/22/city-of-heroes-rogue-server-has-already-been-shut-down-under-threat-of-legal-action/

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    NCSCF will be very aggressive in C&D orders/shutting down and prosecuting ..
    cant say you were not warned ..
    Asm0deus said:

Total Fucking respect for that Badass! Ball out Brother and wish you the best.
    KyleranAlmostLancelot