Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen's Chris Roberts Opines on 'Saving Anthem' - MMORPG.com

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    "A lot of gamers don't understand quite how difficult it is to deliver everything working flawlessly," "The expectations keep ramping up and may be higher than people are humanly possible of delivering."

Chris Robber doesn't seem to understand that if you rush development you release Anthem while If you take your development time seriously you release The Witcher 3.
    Ohh Chris knows, he isn’t rushing anything himself now is he?  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranSovrath
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• mraneremranere Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Isn't that space opera game of yours still in alpha after 10 years of taking people's money for every little thing? I don't see where he said how he would fix Anthem anywhere. Aside from getting off BW's back and being nice to them for delivering an unfinished game that is still broken as hell.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019

"A lot of gamers don't understand quite how
    difficult it is to deliver everything working flawlessly," "The expectations keep ramping up and may be higher than people
    are humanly possible of delivering."

Chris Robber doesn't seem to understand that if you rush development you release Anthem while If you take your development time seriously you release The Witcher 3.

With how much time Chris is taking with SC, it better put Witcher 3 to shame then. As someone mentioned earlier though, I think he's just getting himself ready for when his project(s) "dont meet players' unreasonable expectations."
    Kyleran
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Irony of ironies he is channeling his own Derek Smart here....
    ErillionAgent_Josephgastovski1Phaserlight
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586
    Site copying/pasting other site using click-bait article.... Lol.

In short those raging will pretend CR did intend to say the worst while indeed he was very balanced toward problems of others studios AND player expectation.

Beside that 3.5 is amazing and keep receiving small patch regularly (another one this Sunday).
    Xarktard

Elsabolts said:

Elite Dangerous seems to do pretty well, promise made, promise kept. Others could learn from them.

Not really. What they deliver was basic and 3 years later, we got another targoids attacks with different shapes and colors plus a graphic refresh.
    But it does not matter. ED, EVE, NMS, SC do have different scope and this totally fine. More space game is better.
    XarktardAgent_JosephPhaserlight
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2019

Chapelle Show's Tyrone Biggums Opines on "Saying No To Crack"

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Albatroes said:

difficult it is to deliver everything working flawlessly," "The expectations keep ramping up and may be higher than people

With how much time Chris is taking with SC, it better put Witcher 3 to shame then. As someone mentioned earlier though, I think he's just getting himself ready for when his project(s) "dont meet players' unreasonable expectations."

It is not CR getting himself ready but CR communicating to all that unreasonable expectations are just... unreasonable.
    Any gamer around know there is a gap between a project and final product. We are lucky enough to have such a great CIG team. We got two Triple-A for 35$ (early backer) :)
    XarktardKyleran

Lol. CR did exactly the opposite. Saying the guy don't understand rushing vs quality is at best a joke.
    Xarktard
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2019
    JoeBlober said:

In short those raging will pretend CR did intend to say the worst while indeed he was very balanced toward problems of others studios AND player expectation.

Beside that 3.5 is amazing and keep receiving small patch regularly (another one this Sunday).
    Newsweek magazine is hardly a click bait site, but is instead a reputable news publication. In fact, the entire interview was specifically on the topic of Roberts' thoughts on "saving" Anthem. The words are his, not the original author's. I fail to see your point. 

I honestly think that, in some ways, he has a point about player expectations and what is humanly possible by any development studio.  

That said, saying that gamers are to blame for studios that don't deliver playable games that are clearly missing tons of features clearly shows he wasn't too concerned about the optics of that opinion, something a studio head and CEO should have a better handle on.

I don't have an axe to grind against Star Citizen. When it is released, I'll take a look. Until then, it's just another game in development.
    sgelgervaise1BakgrindAgent_JosephKyleranPhryPhaserlight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

DrunkWolf said:

Sounds to me like he is practicing excuses for failure. hmmm i wonder why?

Yes same to me. I wonder why. probably because the explanation is not matching what he explained? Beta in 5 quarters does not sounds like an excuse for failure, all starting from scratch with 12 guys and zero pipelines 6 end of Nov. 2012 :)
    XarktardSolancer
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @JoeBlober Not sure if you know or not, but you can quote multiple posts and respond to them in a single post. Just quote the ones you want and all will appear in the "leave a comment" box and you can respond to each in kind. 
    Slapshot1188

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

jarsku85 said:

Hey Chris... how about not talking about someone else's game until you actually release yours?

He has over 20 games out :)

And when was the last time he released one? How long has his current game been in development?
    Phaserlight

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

JoeBlober said:

Albatroes said:

It is not CR getting himself ready but CR communicating to all that unreasonable expectations are just... unreasonable.

Any gamer around know there is a gap between a project and final product. We are lucky enough to have such a great CIG team. We got two Triple-A for 35$ (early backer) :)

Right now, you have nothing but pictures of pixel ships and a tech demo.
    ErillionKyleran

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    SBFord said:
    JoeBlober said:

Newsweek magazine is hardly a click bait site, but is instead a reputable news publication. In fact, the entire interview was specifically on the topic of Roberts' thoughts on "saving" Anthem. The words are his, not the original author's. I fail to see your point. 

I honestly think that, in some ways, he has a point about player expectations and what is humanly possible by any development studio.  

That said, saying that gamers are to blame for studios that don't deliver playable games that are clearly missing tons of features clearly shows he wasn't too concerned about the optics of that opinion, something a studio head and CEO should have a better handle on.

I don't have an axe to grind against Star Citizen. When it is released, I'll take a look. Until then, it's just another game in development.
    Studios set expectations. Not players.   The problem is that they try to set they unrealistically high when shilling for cash, but then explain how people shouldn't actually expect them to do what they said when it comes time to deliver...

When you build the hype you do not get to later complain about it.

[Deleted User]Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited April 2019
    Chris why would you poke the hornet's nest. Don't care how I felt as a game developer or which side I stood on. I would not have commented on gave an opinion on the matter, even if asked.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    So a guy who's working on the biggest scam in gaming history is saying how he'd fix another game???

Wow lol.
    sgelAgent_JosephPhaserlightSolancer
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    JoeBlober said:

Elsabolts said:

Elite Dangerous seems to do pretty well, promise made, promise kept. Others could learn from them.

Not really. What they deliver was basic and 3 years later, we got another targoids attacks with different shapes and colors plus a graphic refresh.
    But it does not matter. ED, EVE, NMS, SC do have different scope and this totally fine. More space game is better.
    Stop lying about other games to promote yours.
    FD has added and refined a lot of stuff since ED's launch.
    Feel free to not like it, but it's silly to lie publicly when you can so easily be called out.

XarktardAgent_Joseph

..Cake..

• MythlaMythla Member UncommonPosts: 25

hfztt said:

So, its the players fault?

They set their expectations to high?

Not the developers overselling their product?

Who would have thought he would go for that argument...

Lol!

Not sure if you're being willfully obtuse in your oversimplification of what he actually said, or if that's somehow what you actually took away from the article...
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    What about all the PS4 owners with bricked consoles from the Anthem crashing. Fuck Anthem and fuck Chris Roberts
    Maddog666
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    He should worry about saving his own games and company.
    Phaserlight
  • shinjiFRshinjiFR Member UncommonPosts: 8
    stupide post... we have buy game for 60€ and it's a no't a fucking beta.... we buy AAA realease and we have a fucking ALPHA with only 16month of work.... and we can no't complain from this ? i don't think so....
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Mythla said:

hfztt said:

So, its the players fault?

They set their expectations to high?

Not the developers overselling their product?

Who would have thought he would go for that argument...

Lol!

Not sure if you're being willfully obtuse in your oversimplification of what he actually said, or if that's somehow what you actually took away from the article...

It is what I took away from it. It IS a simplification, but not an oversimplification. He totally are blaming the players and not the developers.
    Asm0deus
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Hwat? When it comes to Anthem, I don't think there were unreasonable expectations at all. From what I've seen, most informed people were pretty skeptic right from the beginning and it wasnt just because the developer of traditionally single player RPGs suddenly tries multiplayer looter shooter. There were tons of red flags and lot of people saw them.

Back in my day, buying a full price game from a AAA developer and expecting a working finished product wasnt called an unreasonable expectation.
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    JoeBlober said:

Albatroes said:

Which two AAA games?