Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen's Chris Roberts Opines on 'Saving Anthem' - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Citizen's Chris Roberts Opines on 'Saving Anthem' - MMORPG.com

In a new interview with Newsweek, Star Citizen's Chris Roberts segued into a discussion of Anthem and what steps he would take to fix the game. Roberts believes, according to the interview, that gamers often have unreasonable expectations compounded by their hatred of EA. "A lot of gamers don't understand quite how difficult it is to deliver everything working flawlessly," Roberts stated. "The expectations keep ramping up and may be higher than people are humanly possible of delivering."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    So, its the players fault?
    They set their expectations to high?
    Not the developers overselling their product?

Who would have thought he would go for that argument...

Lol!
    SolancerBakgrindLastlaughloldoomexVrikaValdheimFolmenFlyByKnightsgelGobstopper3Dand 18 others.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Was expecting to see "they should sell concept art of new javelins for $200-$10,000 each then never actually put them in game."
    StoneRosesdinogndragonlee66doomexScotFolmenGinazsgelXarko[Deleted User]and 12 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Hey Chris... how about not talking about someone else's game until you actually release yours?
    MaurgrimAlbatroesdinogndragonlee66Spriggen1337Viper482ValdheimFolmenFlyByKnightGinazand 22 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Is he trying to hint at SC fans to really lower their expectations?
    Spriggen1337Viper482ValdheimFolmenXarkopeanutabcLimnicWhiteLanternAalamr[Deleted User]and 7 others.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Didn't Sean Murray promised us being able to play with friends, but delivered that feature last summer? So it was the players fault of having high expectations for No Man's Sky after a blatant lie from the lead developer? Oh boy!

I do agree with the hypothesis. Just not the way he explains it. Hopefully he hasn't have to use this Hypothesis to defend SC when it comes out.
    Phaserlight
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Let's disregard all the complications this game had whilst being developed and blame it all on the consumer.

Sure....

How about if you promise to deliver a game, actually deliver it? Games releasing in a state of beta, yet it's the player's fault because developing a game is challenging and they should be excused of anything bad happening. 
    PhrySolancer

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I don't expect "everything to work flawlessly," but Anthem is just taking the piss.
    Bakgrind
  • D3m0n1usD3m0n1us Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I put my expectations on the game already pretty low, i gave it a shot at the open beta before the release but it wasnt my type of game and it seems many believed it too so in my opinion it is not the fault of the gamers but of the developers that didnt meet the expectations of the majority of the gamers
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    "Roberts believes, according to the interview, that gamers often have unreasonable expectations"

This coming from Chris?

How ironic.
    Tiller[Deleted User]sgelAgent_JosephPhryOctagon7711Solancer
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    So....a guy who's supposedly been getting money for a game that's been in development for like 8 years now? And still isn't even planned to hit an alpha/beta/whatever they are currently doing stage until maybe 2020? Is gonna give advice on how to save another game? Sounds about right....
    Viper482sgelAgent_Josephgastovski1PhaserlightSolancer
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    "Roberts believes, according to the interview, that gamers often have unreasonable expectations"

So when gamers want a somehow playable game for 60 + dollars, it's their fault for not expecting any issues and be like, "that's fine, it will pass..."

How is it unreasonable to expect somehow playable game upon its release date ?
    If it was alpha or beta then i would agree with him, but there were some many issues on RELEASE DATE.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Unreasonable expectations of things that are mentioned by the developers themselves?

I remember waiting for Diablo 2 back in the day, when it came out it lived up to what they stated it was. These days I think developers tend to exaggerate the details of their games to generate over the top publicity and hype with with half truths, which is what comes back to bite them in their own ass when it comes to consumers feeling fleeced.
    Solancer
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Lol so should we lower our expectations for SC despite it having one of the largest development budgets in history, and one of the longest development times too? Honestly fans built computers 3 years ago and they are already questionable on their ability to play SC, and development may take another few years, depending on if CR sees any cool butterflies that he wants to add to the game.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Sounds to me like he is practicing excuses for failure. hmmm i wonder why?
    [Deleted User]Kylerangastovski1[Deleted User]PhaserlightSolancer
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Oh, dear..
    WalkinGlenn
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162

Tiller said:

Unreasonable expectations of things that are mentioned by the developers themselves?

I remember waiting for Diablo 2 back in the day, when it came out it lived up to what they stated it was. These days I think developers tend to exaggerate the details of their games to generate over the top publicity and hype with with half truths, which is what comes back to bite them in their own ass when it comes to consumers feeling fleeced.

Quite true.

Had Sean Murray just been honest about No Man's Sky, the backlash hadn't been that big.

One good example about unreasonable expectations is The Outer Worlds. The lead devs Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, have openly talked about this subject and have been very honest about what their game is and what it is not.
    Tiller
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Hey Chris... how about not talking about someone else's game until you actually release yours?

He has over 20 games out :)
    ErillionPhaserlightUngoodAlmostLancelotRolanStorm
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Elite Dangerous seems to do pretty well, promise made, promise kept. Others could learn from them.
    sgelAgent_JosephPhryShadowStyleBAlmostLancelot
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    ill bet he is leveraging this argument as why he wont release star citizen to the masses. I really do hope it flops hard, so hard that his company goes out of business !!! just on pure principle that it shoulda been released ages ago, adding new shit is not a reason to delay the game its called DLC No Mans Sky have been doing this for over 2 years now.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    edited April 2019
    Bioware knew that their general fans did not really want or need this type of game and they were hoping that at the very least they could sway some whilst going after that loot shooter market. Expectation is a rather broad term to use for a game that never sounded appealing to those players from the very inception of its development. In this case high expectation only existed in the minds of the developers. The general gaming community simply found it to some what lacking and unremarkable for a game that spent so much time in development.
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145

hfztt said:

So, its the players fault?

They set their expectations to high?

Not the developers overselling their product?

Who would have thought he would go for that argument...

Lol!

You'd expect this from the developer whos conning people out of money for years, and cant keep their own goals. This is basic projection, they can't keep their goals, so instead of blaming themselves, they're shifting the blame on the consumers.

That workplace is bet is really toxic.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    jarsku85 said:

That totally saved Richard Garriot too! And I have much more respect for his legacy, it doesn’t make SotA a good game though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFordAlbatroesAgent_JosephKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited April 2019
    No Man's Sky and Anthem failed to deliver big time. NMS has done a lot since than but are players expected to applaud a team that delivers half a game, the launch was an Early Access by any other name. Anthem followed suit and if we accept this sort of behaviour expect twice as many games like this next year and twice as many again the year after that.

Vote with your feet, do not pre-order, wait for the reviews then as I do if they get the sort of reviews they did, think about if you ever want to try them out. NMS is a possibility but I have so many other games to play, games that were a finished product when they launched.
    PhryPhaserlightSolancer
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019

lahnmir said:

jarsku85 said:

That totally saved Richard Garriot too! And I have much more respect for his legacy, it doesn’t make SotA a good game though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Well played, my friend. Well played. image
    lahnmir
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    "A lot of gamers don't understand quite how difficult it is to deliver everything working flawlessly," "The expectations keep ramping up and may be higher than people are humanly possible of delivering."

Chris Robber doesn't seem to understand that if you rush development you release Anthem while If you take your development time seriously you release The Witcher 3.