Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm Player Arrested for Making Terrorist Threats In-Game - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Getting arrested and hopefully evaluated mentally is a good thing even if he doesn't serve any real time or get prosecuted any further. Kids will say dumb things.. alot. Getting the shit scared out of them by going through something like this is what they need.

The problem? If this kid had no intention on doing something like this and was only saying it for the "wow" factor or internet points, then ruining his entire life would be a complete and total shame. Scare the hell out of him. Evaluate him and if he seems ok don't push it.
    Hatefullklash2def
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Gruug said:
    I have mixed feelings on this. Firstly, this kid....

The problem? If this kid had no intention....
    Since when was 26 years old a kid?
    SBFordSeelinnikoiChildoftheShadowsBlueThunderBearHatefullklash2def

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    This is the stuff companies need to be protecting their "young players" from, and not f^%&#g tiddies.

*i'm looking at you Sony*
    SeelinnikoiBlueThunderBearHatefull

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Gruug said:
    I have mixed feelings on this. Firstly, this kid may have issues that need to be addressed. Arresting him may not but the best way to address them. Secondly, just saying something threatening should never be a reason to arrest someone. In fact, I would suggest that it is a violation of this guys civil rights to do so. Yes, he threatened to do something horrendous but he did not take any action towards carrying it out. If he gets proper legal consul he probably will never be convicted. He should have been flagged by the local police and been investigated to see if he had intent on carrying out the threats BEFORE he was arrested.
    Certain threats are criminal and do not violate civil rights to be arrested for.  It is deemed that the courts are the ones to determine if these threats deserve criminal prosecution or not.  
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Getting arrested and hopefully evaluated mentally is a good thing even if he doesn't serve any real time or get prosecuted any further. Kids will say dumb things.. alot. Getting the shit scared out of them by going through something like this is what they need.

The problem? If this kid had no intention on doing something like this and was only saying it for the "wow" factor or internet points, then ruining his entire life would be a complete and total shame. Scare the hell out of him. Evaluate him and if he seems ok don't push it.
    I would rather make an example out of him to the other idiots.  Too many internet kids coming out into the real world thinking there are no consequences for their actions.  They carry over their internet hate banter to the real world and are surprised that it can get them in trouble.

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited April 2019

Scorchien said:

lol dumass , have a nice time in the GP , thatll learn ya

Scorchien said:

lol dumass , have a nice time in the GP , thatll learn ya

lol..matter of fact lmfao...forest gump said it best stupid is as stupid does...
    and i bet the first thing this asshole kid said..after his parents fainted!! lol.. when the cops came knocking at his door was
    hey!!! how did you guys find me.
    gammer 4 life
  • GoldenTenacityGoldenTenacity Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited April 2019
    I'd have to look at the context and read things for myself. But the jackass should have known better, especially after what happened to the last person that did this. Difference being, in the last time someone called the person horrible in League of Legends and he made the statement along the lines of "lol yeah, I'm terrible. I just might go do this (similar statement)." Followed by "LOL, JK". In addition to the guy still being a teen. Which landed him six years of jail / house arrest. The DA had to prolong the trial for as long as he could since he knew the teen couldn't be convicted since it was obviously a F'd up joke if a court saw the context. Which traverses the line of false imprisonment due to a violation of freedom of speech among other things.

But in this case, if we're to believe information, it seems to be a legitimate threat directed at children. Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from the consequences of such.
    Vrika said:
    Gruug said:
    I have mixed feelings on this. Firstly, this kid....

The problem? If this kid had no intention....
    Since when was 26 years old a kid?
    I guess reading what happened cancelled out reading his age since it seems more logical coming from a teenager, but I still stand that depending on his mental state it could be a big mistake destroying his entire life over it. That said he does need to go on watch lists just in case. 

It's important to remember that just because you say you're going to do something doesn't mean you will and most people that do these things don't say anything at all.
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    In today's climate, where many people have either unreasonable expectations of police from TV dramas, or others think they shouldn't be able to do anything unless they see a bullet coming out of a gun first, it's easy to deduce why the po-po arrested him.

1. Optics.  If something happens, people will say "OMG they did nothing, and the idiot TOLD everybody!"
    2. I think many people assume criminals are devious and would NEVER scream out what they may do.  However, if you think about it, people who intend to massacre children are likely...whacked in some way.  That's why they intend to massacre children.  It's not so strange they would do whacky things.  Think Dr. Evil from Austin Powers.  And of course, IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.
    3. I'm sure it does cut down on the amount of people making threats like these if you think you might get investigated.  Sorta like the IRS boogie man.

Even if they have to release him because of insufficient evidence, it serves the purpose.  In this environment, if they want to keep their jobs, it is the right thing to do.
    Hatefull
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Such a thing must be taken seriously whether it was tongue in cheek or not.  He was likely trying to get a reaction and didn't intend to do what he was saying, but it'd be negligence on the part of authorities to ignore it.  I feel like only a very dark individual would ever say such things even if it was only to garner attention.  If not behind bars, he likely needs to be in a mental hospital.
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    This is the stuff companies need to be protecting their "young players" from, and not f^%&#g tiddies.

But lady nipples are sinful and unnatural and will surely cause psychological damage.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I usually do not jump on the bashing a developer bandwagon, but in this instance I 100% agree with you.

I feel that there should be "observers" (or lots of them) in every game, not to protect us from the oh so scary boob, but to keep hate speech, threats, and this type of behavior in check. If we know someone is watching us, we tend to be a bit more conscious of what we are saying/doing.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    its the only way people learn... Consequence. Very good. Next...
    TacticalZombeh
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

26 is a full adult, not a kid. wtf... He should be treated as a full adult. Ruin his life to set the precedent that this isn't tolerated. I'm all for it. stop doing stupid shit if you can't deal with the consequences. 
    TacticalZombeh
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:

26 is a full adult, not a kid. wtf... He should be treated as a full adult. Ruin his life to set the precedent that this isn't tolerated. I'm all for it. stop doing stupid shit if you can't deal with the consequences. 
    Like I said later, most people who do these things don't talk about it before hand. Throwing the book at him won't really teach anyone anything except keep your mouth shut.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2019
    Oh look, more good ole American home baked terrorism. Thank goodness this moron got checked before he could make any actual moves.

klash2def
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited April 2019

Galadourn said:

Isn't it a bit far fetched to press charges based on expressed "intentions" in a video game?

The charge is terroristic threats. That seems to match to me. The charge wasn't terroristic intentions. Telling someone you are going to kill them is against the law as well and people do it all the time but.... I had to leave a student with police once because he wouldn't back down on threatening to kill another student while everyone was asleep (week long trip). He wouldn't even quit when the police came.

Likely this guy would have though :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Man I dont know it should be taken seriously by the police, and if you have children in school like @SBFord this has to be super scary, but who decides what a terroristic threat is how can you lock some one up for a crime when they do not have the means. he is saving up money for a gun? so he currently does not have one. put him on a list and watch him with out him ever knowing he is being watched as for the fact that vegas police do not have the manpower there are lists of left wing right wing and crazy people that are watched all the time by the government. Flag him and do not let him buy a gun until he proves he is sane or let him buy a gun then lock him up now you know he has intent.  We have gone so far in this country from innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt to we dont like the way this guy talks or he has been accused by this person for that so throw the key away it is crazy. I know that is not a popular opinion but if we start locking people up for saying something they cant actually enact were not going to have a free cell anywhere. this guy was running his mouth everyone on this forum has said something stupid in the heat of the moment at least once maybe not to this degree but when you start punishing people for that I do not want to live here anymore. this is one of the major reasons we left a communist country 20 years ago because you could be locked up by the police for not really committing a crime and they could throw away the key for ideas like oh I dont know freedom of speech or planning to leave said country. again I am all for them doing a psych evaluation but he has not done anything yet. talking and doing two different things. Sorry guys I just can not get behind the lock him forever because he shot off his mouth.     
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    In today's climate, where many people have either unreasonable expectations of police from TV dramas, or others think they shouldn't be able to do anything unless they see a bullet coming out of a gun first, it's easy to deduce why the po-po arrested him.

1. Optics.  If something happens, people will say "OMG they did nothing, and the idiot TOLD everybody!"
    2. I think many people assume criminals are devious and would NEVER scream out what they may do.  However, if you think about it, people who intend to massacre children are likely...whacked in some way.  That's why they intend to massacre children.  It's not so strange they would do whacky things.  Think Dr. Evil from Austin Powers.  And of course, IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.
    3. I'm sure it does cut down on the amount of people making threats like these if you think you might get investigated.  Sorta like the IRS boogie man.

Even if they have to release him because of insufficient evidence, it serves the purpose.  In this environment, if they want to keep their jobs, it is the right thing to do.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Typical good old fashioned American hypocrisy. Instead of addressing the real issue requiring effort and hard decisions which ofc is gun control we just pick a big mouthed internet idiot the likes of him count in six or seven figure numbers and throw him to the dogs. That'll teach the real potential shooters a lesson.

Idiots.
    GaladournHatefullSolar_ProphetPhryjimmywolf
  • KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875

But lady nipples are sinful and unnatural and will surely cause psychological damage.
    Or protect from both.  Because a sexualized media does have a psychological effect on society.  It produces a society of whores and adulterers both men and women, which can cause broken families and children born without proper parents.  Makes weak lustful people who cant think about anything else.
  • odysseus033odysseus033 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I live in Las Vegas, along with 2.2 million other people, it's not a big valley, only 600sq miles. We're also the 6th biggest school district size in the nation. So ya 18 schools in a small area is not unheard of.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Galadourn said:

I don't see how merely saying that you are going to do something bad at some indefinite point in the future can get you behind bars. It would require extra evidence to bring a case to court, i.e. being actually in possession of a gun, being sighted outside school areas, etc. All that is just nonsense, the guy can very well claim he was "joking" before court.

How is this different than someone calling a school with a bomb threat? That person would be arrested as well. Just because they did it online rather than over the phone shouldn't really matter.
    jimmywolf
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

jimmywolf said:

Honestly it sound like the guy is an idiot not a terrorist, but I'm sure there are psychologist which can figure that out, though it doesn't seem that he will be getting evaluated.

In LoL I get death threats or read other people getting death threats literally almost every game, soooooo... it's a game. People will act in absurd ways that otherwise they wouldn't even dare in real life.

They will say stuff that they think are "cool" or "witty" when in reality it's borderline re......

Surprised that so many people would rather "execute" the guy than to actually find out if there was an actual intent, but I guess people should also be accountable for what they say, so can't really defend someone who would say stuff like that.

i understand your not condoning the man but compliance can be just as bad. we all want a better world an more respect but it not going happen every time someone get to do something malicious an walk away even if it only verbal it still pushes the edge to darker things. 

if we wait and ignore asinine behavior because " hey i can " then when/where does it stop? do you know why laws exist? because man cannot police themselves without fear of judgement or repercussions,  if their was no laws the world would be a much darker place full of endless theft, rape, murder. you could ignorantly laugh and say how that different then now? true it all exist already but it would be tenfold and that even if society could continue to exist. if we want a better world then yes we need to force better behavior, sorry too anyone who rights to be a dick/troll are taken away.

FYI what you are talking about is censor of speech and with time, actions as well. I hope you understand that. Surprised that someone who works for information site would click "awesome" on that.

And before people try to BS their way that "hey I'm talking about threats and not actual censor of speech"... it's already happening... people can't even tell other people to F'off cause they will hurt their feelings. In few years that will be penalized by the law with a fine and in few more years after that you will be spending few years in jail for telling someone to F'off.

Heck the fact that someone clicked "WTF" on my post which just pretty much just says that taking the pitchforks straight away isn't really appropriate, at least in this case just goes to show. In few years my comment would probably be labelled as "support" for terrorism and basically to avoid that I'll have to just shut up and not express my view which is what?Censor is the word in case you wonder.

And I know now a lot of people will get their feelings hurt from what I said for who knows what reason(it's not like I'm actually blaming someone or something but oh well) and there will be people who will try to make it out as if I'm the bad guy... you know the guy that doesn't want someone sent in jail straight away without a proper proof.

FYI did 2 ARAM in LoL few minutes ago and guess what. There were people telling other people that they will rape and kill their mothers. I guess it's time to involve the police? Or wait it doesn't sound as severe as claiming others lives.

If you want to make a difference you might want to express your views on weapons being so readily available rather than this. In my country I'm more afraid of someone running at me with zweihander while wearing a plate armor/chain mail over being shot. It's not like it's hard to get a weapon in fact it's quite easy, BUT the fact that it's not shoved in people's face as if it's something so amazing that you just have to have it makes it that people don't have any interest in weapons.

Censorship of speech has been occurring since...forever. You can't threaten someone without consequences. You can't call a school and say you are going to come shoot it up. Why should you be able to say something on the internet that you wouldn't be able to say in person? You seem to want either two different sets of rules, or you want no rules. Either way, this is not the way it has ever been or ever will be, at least not in the U.S.
    jimmywolf
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Galadourn said:

I don't see how merely saying that you are going to do something bad at some indefinite point in the future can get you behind bars. It would require extra evidence to bring a case to court, i.e. being actually in possession of a gun, being sighted outside school areas, etc. All that is just nonsense, the guy can very well claim he was "joking" before court.

How is this different than someone calling a school with a bomb threat? That person would be arrested as well. Just because they did it online rather than over the phone shouldn't really matter.
    It's not the same. In the example you give actually threatening someone and mobilizing security forces warrants penal punishment. If they catch you with a bomb, you are screwed. But even if they don't catch you with a bomb, you will be sent to court for mobilizing the police and causing emotional anguish to the kids/parents, there is a law against that. But expressing a vague threat in a chat which is not directed against anyone participating in the same chat... I;m not saying not to raise an eyebrow, but it would definitely require much more evidence to bring this case to justice. Stupid people say stupid things all the time, alas if we call the police every time this happens.