Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard killed off it's competitors by lucky coincidence.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited April 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

First some back round (if not skip to bottom),

Lots of arguing about Blizzard, then I realized the argument is true, EVERYTHING is really about Blizzard.  Have you ever noticed if a poster mentions World of Warcraft everyone jumps in and has something to say ?......Good bad or indifferent…. It's always the most Hot Topic. Theirs a reason for that. 

Blizzard is in control ! 

Here's how everything mmoprg went down:

It didn't start with World of Warcraft, but Blizzard "completely" shaped the market into what it is today. Since 2004 every Western mmorpg is World of Warcraft being just shy of copyrights and trademarks. 

Blizzard on it's own decided on Family friendly easy, cross realm everything, pretty cosmetic cash shop items the list goes on. They didn't invent everything, Asian developers did most of the work. Blizzard "forced it" to be the standard here in the west…. All followed.

It's a fact, as of late mmorpg's are not popular in gamming as they once were….It's Blizzards fault !!  

Here is EXACTLY why:

mmorpg's by themselves are "Dull and Lifeless".  Everyone of them from Ultima Online, EverQuest, Vanilla World of Warcraft, Vanguard, more recent Final Fantasy 14 and Elder Scrolls Online, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. 

But if you take the "Dull and Lifeless" game and add community it's 100% different, one hundred and eighty degrees different !! 

Community was the hallmark in the very early days.  It was the spark of something new, it was the twinkle in one's eye.  Classic Vanilla World of Warcraft came along and totally enhanced the early version and became #1

Ok so what happened ?

Blizzard CHANGED DIRECTION and all others followed down the rabbit hole.  They invented the solo experience with easy family and extremely accessible Looking for group tool. 

Important:

Being king, it was a mistake Blizzard could afford however they went from 11 million to 6 million.  And they refuse to embrace the cause….. Others following their formula and brought mmorpg's to a "dull and Lifeless" state of solo.  Do people still play mmorpg's ?.... Sure you'll have that when we have 7.5 Billion people on this planet. 

By lucky coincidence, Blizzard was able to make unfortunate mistakes, cause it's competitors to follow, yet they them selfs were able to recover..... Blizzard is actually that strong ! 

mmolouAI724KyleranSeelinnikoiGdemamicmacqGobstopper3Dwinghaven1TezcatlapoccaBaalzharonand 6 others.

Comments

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Complete and utter drivel.
    obiiSeelinnikoiManestreamGobstopper3DDrunkWolfBaalzharonKellerMaddog666TezcatlapoccaHatefulland 6 others.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Well it is certainly true that WoW created the template for 'solo to top level' in a genre that was about group play.
    Seelinnikoi
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited April 2019
    Blizzard didn't invent anything new, but what they did do was come along and refine everyone else's ideas into their most appealing aspect.

They didn't invent the MMO, but they made it far more accessible to the average player.

It wasn't luck at all.  They looked at each genre and said "How do we take this style of game and make it so that everyone in the house will want to play it."

They did it exceptionally well.  I know 60 year old people who play WoW, I know 12 year old people who play WoW.  I know 60 year old people who play Diablo, I know 12 year old people who play Diablo.  I even know 60 year old people who play Overwatch, using support classes, and I know 12 year old people who play Overwatch.

They worked diligently towards universal appeal and mostly succeeded in almost every genre they tried.

The community developed organically after the game showed appeal.
    obiiKyleranGobstopper3DMaddog666ViterzgirMrMelGibson
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited April 2019
    H0urg1ass said:
    Blizzard didn't invent anything new, but what they did do was come along and refine everyone else's ideas into their most appealing aspect.

They didn't invent the MMO, but they made it far more accessible to the average player.

It wasn't luck at all.  They looked at each genre and said "How do we take this style of game and make it so that everyone in the house will want to play it."

They did it exceptionally well.  I know 60 year old people who play WoW, I know 12 year old people who play WoW.  I know 60 year old people who play Diablo, I know 12 year old people who play Diablo.  I even know 60 year old people who play Overwatch, using support classes, and I know 12 year old people who play Overwatch.

They worked diligently towards universal appeal and mostly succeeded in almost every genre they tried.

Nice points, really !

By universal everything to capture all ages..... They "lost" half the crowed to gain the other half. 

In my opinion the other half that I talked about is not embracing the universal everything of OTHER mmorpg developers....... Hence, Blizzard killed off its competitors.  This leaves us in a state of mmorpg's are at a low.    
    Gdemami
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Blizzard is not an inventor. They are master polishers of something else.
    SBFordHatefullMendelBrimstonelov
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2019
    Naw, it isn't just luck, just imagine a room full of Blizzard Devs suddenly leaping up from their computers and breaking into a flash mob song and dance number.  ;)

"This is ten percent luck
    Twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure
    Fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name"

UngoodH0urg1assgervaise1[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Naw, it isn't just luck, just imagine a room full of Blizzard Devs suddenly leaping up from their computers and breaking into a flash mob song and dance number.  ;)

Twenty percent skill
    Five percent pleasure
    Fifty percent pain

10% Lucky on killing off competition they did not expect. 
    20% Skill of marketing.
    15% Knowing marketing is everything and it's power.
    5%   Profit each manager sticks in their pocket.  
    50% Pain, because they have massive lay offs.
    100% everyone knows their name !
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    TLRD:

It's my decision that WoW is a bad game. I don't care about the facts, but I will now decide explanations for all of them so that the facts will support my decision.
    mmolouHatefull

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kyleran said:

Twenty percent skill
    Five percent pleasure
    Fifty percent pain

2009 wants its 240p YouTube video back.   :D
    Kyleran
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Wow is no longer "King of the hill". ESO and FF14 have taken that crown.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Just going off the subject title.....and this shows how competition is healthy. Because Blizzard destroyed the MMO....imo.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    eq2 as a game was far superior.  Its too bad WOW destroyed prelaunch

KyleranCoorslite
  • gago889gago889 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    LoL, you need to read and research more. 

[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2019
    H0urg1ass said:

The thing is when you say the "average player" that is not the average MMO player at the time, there was a lot of talk about it being too easy and cartoony.

But the "average player" it did appeal to was the solo RPG gamers and later just solo gamers. WoW was not about making a better game for MMO players, it was about creating a whole new audience that was not playing. If you were an EQ or DAOC player who played a quite different MMORPG who wanted to come along for the ride then fine, if not Blizzard looked forward to the much larger player base of solo gamers so did not need you.

What you call the community developing organically was more like a hostile takeover.
    Coorslite
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    And now the irony is that they're killing themselves off.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    Wow is no longer "King of the hill". ESO and FF14 have taken that crown.
    Link?
    Mikehadelete5230

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

(...)

By lucky coincidence, Blizzard was able to make unfortunate mistakes, cause it's competitors to follow, yet they them selfs were able to recover..... Blizzard is actually that strong ! 

well if you have a plan, it is not luck or coincidence, it's a plan, executed at the right time.
    huge difference.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Myrdynn said:
    eq2 as a game was far superior.  Its too bad WOW destroyed prelaunch

Soe didn't give EQ2 a chance. It didn't run well on the hardware of the day - possibly because it was (probably) rushed out - it launched a few days before WoW. And - unlike NCSoft who recognised that CoH players would't pay a second sub for CoV - SoE didn't offer a combined sub and made no attempt to link EQ2 to EQ1. If they had taken account of the EQ1 playerbase and taken say 6-12 months optimising EQ2 who knows - maybe players new to mmos would have been prepared to give the old timer a try. After all GW1 which launched after WoW gained a significant following.

That veing said with Wow Blizzard added stuff to mmos like rest experience and clear quest icons. And when it came to graphics they started with detailed artwork, animated it and then applied a "big pixel" filter to make it less graphically intensive - so it ran on less powerful hardware without looking like Sam & Max say. They ran an open beta which generated - what for the time - was huge marketing.
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:

Twenty percent skill
    Five percent pleasure
    Fifty percent pain

Now its a case of "Where'd you go?"

With a room full of Blizzard devs saying "Please come back home". (Awesome song.)
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Blizzard didnt kill any competitor. They killed themselves when they decided to try and make the same game as wow with a different title. instead of MMOs evolving and generating new ideas they tried to copy paste wow which just lead to further dumbing down the genre.
    Kevyne-ShandrisMaddog666Hatefull[Deleted User]
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    I am beginning to wonder why I click on your threads. They are muddled and misconceived messes.
    [Deleted User]ArglebargleHatefull[Deleted User]Coorslite
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I think I lost a few points of my IQ reading through that... Not many left, need to be more careful.
    [Deleted User]NyteWytch[Deleted User]Coorslite

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    There are barely any mmorpg before wow.  The player base is also very small with a few successful mmorpg.

I believe someone mention there are list of 600 mmorpg now.  Even if you neglect wow.  There are mmorpg like runescape which rumors have is doing really well.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Remember that deep learning AI bot Micro$oft tried to get to chat with people?
    I have a theory that Delete is something like that... And if I am correct, it still needs some tweaking I'd say.
    mmolouCryomatrixCoorslite