Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm Player Arrested for Making Terrorist Threats In-Game - MMORPG.com

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    I have said it many times of late,,yep keep making games with a toxic pvp design,your doing the community a great service.
    I have said this about ALL pvp games,there is NO need for them,what is wrong with making games where people get along and work together for PVE?
    The reason is PVP is a huge platform to promote cash shops,something Blizzard has been hard aiming at of late.
    Everything within Blizzard is COMPETE COMPETE and compete,it is a TOXIC way to do gaming.Of course that type of atmosphere is going to create hostility and anger and people saying things they don't really mean.
    China even blocked Blizzard on more than one occasion.https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/has-china-really-banned-fortnite-pubg-and-other-battle-royale-games-250087

The keyword is ETHICS,apparently Blizzard AND others of course care more about making money than what they are doing.

Quit building toxic games,make some good pve games,i have never in the history of gaming seen a calm respectful pvp community,it NEVER happens.

It's You're*

Also, if you are saying this bullshit is justified because a game caused it, you are a bigger dumb ass than I previously thought.

If you get so emotionally compromised in a game you have to make death threats, games are not for you. Period.

BlueThunderBearmmolouDakeruTacticalZombehNepheth[Deleted User]

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Hatefull said:
    Wizardry said:
    I have said it many times of late,,yep keep making games with a toxic pvp design,your doing the community a great service.
    I have said this about ALL pvp games,there is NO need for them,what is wrong with making games where people get along and work together for PVE?
    The reason is PVP is a huge platform to promote cash shops,something Blizzard has been hard aiming at of late.
    Everything within Blizzard is COMPETE COMPETE and compete,it is a TOXIC way to do gaming.Of course that type of atmosphere is going to create hostility and anger and people saying things they don't really mean.
    China even blocked Blizzard on more than one occasion.https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/has-china-really-banned-fortnite-pubg-and-other-battle-royale-games-250087

The keyword is ETHICS,apparently Blizzard AND others of course care more about making money than what they are doing.

Quit building toxic games,make some good pve games,i have never in the history of gaming seen a calm respectful pvp community,it NEVER happens.

It's You're*

Also, if you are saying this bullshit is justified because a game caused it, you are a bigger dumb ass than I previously thought.

If you get so emotionally compromised in a game you have to make death threats, games are not for you. Period.

You know that's falling on deaf ears, right? ;)

I have decided Wizardry is our resident "Repent!  The End is Nigh!" sign-wielder.  Looking at him that way, he becomes entertaining. :D 
    [Deleted User]HatefullCryomatrixCalexGruntyBlueThunderBearDakeruXarkoDagon13Sovrathand 3 others.

Hatefull said:
    Wizardry said:

It's You're*

You know that's falling on deaf ears, right? ;)

I have decided Wizardry is our resident "Repent!  The End is Nigh!" sign-wielder.  Looking at him that way, he becomes entertaining. :D 
    Good point. I have felt for a long time he brings less than nothing to the conversation. I should just ignore him. 
    MadFrenchieTacticalZombeh

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I never ignore any poster on this site, their posts are always entertaining for different reasons. 

There is a lot of liability in America, that many people, entities, etc, function in what, we in the medical profession, call CYA protocol. 

CYA = Cover your ass protocol. 

Hence, entities, people, companies, etc, go overboard to protect themselves from liability. Where I work a physician got pissed with the nurses making mistakes and basically said something about lining them up outside to shoot them which was clearly hyperbole. The medical staff took it very seriously, suspended the physician and made the doc see a psychiatrist. 

They were operating under CYA protocol, I doubt the physician would do anything, but then again, if they did, and the work place did nothing, they'd be liable as heck. 

That is why I think, we in America, are very sensitive to stuff like this. It is part of CYA protocol. I get it, so I don't necessarily knock it, but I think it explains some of the sensitivity. 
    MadFrenchieHatefull[Deleted User]Xingbairongoriya9
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Games should have warning screens with list of phrases which may put a person into jail. Just like epilepsy warnings I see everywhere lately.

Those things aren't obvious to a lot of folks.
    Ponku

Thank you for your time!

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Given the state of that game's general chat due to a lack of regular moderation, it's interesting that this isn't more common.
    HatefullMadFrenchie
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

Wizardry said:

PvP was not created to promote cash shops PvP exists because people are always more challenging then AI period. Competition has existed outside of video games. There's no logic in your statements just opinion
    SovrathTacticalZombeh
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Honestly it sound like the guy is an idiot not a terrorist, but I'm sure there are psychologist which can figure that out, though it doesn't seem that he will be getting evaluated.

In LoL I get death threats or read other people getting death threats literally almost every game, soooooo... it's a game. People will act in absurd ways that otherwise they wouldn't even dare in real life.
    They will say stuff that they think are "cool" or "witty" when in reality it's borderline re......

Surprised that so many people would rather "execute" the guy than to actually find out if there was an actual intent, but I guess people should also be accountable for what they say, so can't really defend someone who would say stuff like that.

jimmywolfNepheth
    3dom said:
    Games should have warning screens with list of phrases which may put a person into jail. Just like epilepsy warnings I see everywhere lately.

Those things aren't obvious to a lot of folks.
    Or, and here is a novel concept, people should take responsibility for themselves and their actions and realize that if you make terroristic threats towards people, you will be held accountable.

If some person came up and said to a parent: I am going to shoot your kid, I would hazard to say most parents would take it seriously and react in such a way as to prevent that. This is no different, if you act like an ass there are consequences and all should realize that.

We all talk a little smack playing games. From baseball to Fortnight, if it is competitive, people will try to get a rise out of others by smack talking. Most find it fun however, it can get out of hand. The difference is IRL people will step in and calm things down (or clear the benches, either way) but a threat made by someone over the internet, towards what is recently the favorite target of attention seekers should be taken seriously.

Here read This crazy shit happens all the time, next time you want to threaten someone online, just think about the consequences of your actions.
    [Deleted User]BlueThunderBearPonku

• KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875

Galadourn said:

Isn't it a bit far fetched to press charges based on expressed "intentions" in a video game?

nah he should be executed just for saying that
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited April 2019
    Obviously this guy needs help.

However;

1. Its a problem because the police need to do their job to make sure something like this doesn't happen. THe fact that it happens is why simply saying it is being treated as terrorism rather than online nerd rage

2. The online community can be toxic in general, and where do we draw the line of intervention? Only when someone has gone mad enough to make threats from accumulated trolling, or do we treat simply trolling as the same level of threat/crime as making an actual threat?

3. Due to the online nature of everything being accessible with media and even creating informaiton/media, and even the nature of media in general making this idea ever present of negative thoughts more available, combine the 2, and you have someone that has a lot of weird ideas in their head with an easy way to express it while dealing with a stress environment... and somewhat anonymouly. And the 'anonymousness' could make you characterize this threat as more of a thought rather than speech.

I can see why they are treating it seriously, since ultilmately, lets say they dont treat it seriously, and the guy becomes a terrorist in RL, it will look really bad. 

Thats the real problem, and once a person goes under that kind of magnifying glass, its very bad attention for themselves.

However I think, if it is this serious in the US or anywhere in the world that these threats can be very real, then there are underlying issues that need to be addressed such as a toxic community that may lead to that kind of language.

And I know how alpha males who grew up in highschool as alpha males think, and they will be part of the judgement on this case. For alphas its natural to have a survival of the fittest kind of thinking, and there are bullies and those that get bullied. They think this is just natural and will not bother to think of the underlying issues and treat trolling/bullying as the natural part of online behavior like in highschoool there is a 'natural' order as well.

And its not easy to come up with a solution for this kind of prevention. And its not easy for them to not treat it seriously either.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 144

Galadourn said:

Isn't it a bit far fetched to press charges based on expressed "intentions" in a video game?

You're accountable for your speech outside of games, why would that change on a game?

The future of online is specific accountability and consequences, only reason it has been slow to be enforced is because the government is still out dated, and slow to evolve with the trends.
    jimmywolfBlueThunderBearHatefull
  • Pingu2012Pingu2012 Member UncommonPosts: 35

KingNaid said:

Galadourn said:

nah he should be executed just for saying that

Even in the UK it's illegal. From cps govt site in UK:

"An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force. "

You can get 6 months for assault (a threat).

Then there's threat to kill, a separate offence :
    "Threats can be calculated and premeditated, or said in the heat of the moment. The defendant does not have to have the intention to kill but there has to be an intent that the person to whom the threat has been issued would fear it would be carried out. "

Given the taste US psychos have for school shootings seems like a fair case for schools to fear it would be carried out.
    Hatefull
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Better be safe than sorry. Even if he was simply shooting his mouth off it is better they arrest him and investigate than to go to a mass shooting.
    SBFordHatefullTacticalZombeh

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Honestly it sound like the guy is an idiot not a terrorist, but I'm sure there are psychologist which can figure that out, though it doesn't seem that he will be getting evaluated.

In LoL I get death threats or read other people getting death threats literally almost every game, soooooo... it's a game. People will act in absurd ways that otherwise they wouldn't even dare in real life.
    They will say stuff that they think are "cool" or "witty" when in reality it's borderline re......

Surprised that so many people would rather "execute" the guy than to actually find out if there was an actual intent, but I guess people should also be accountable for what they say, so can't really defend someone who would say stuff like that.

i understand your not condoning the man but compliance can be just as bad. we all want a better world an more respect but it not going happen every time someone get to do something malicious an walk away even if it only verbal it still pushes the edge to darker things. 

if we wait and ignore asinine behavior because " hey i can " then when/where does it stop? do you know why laws exist? because man cannot police themselves without fear of judgement or repercussions,  if their was no laws the world would be a much darker place full of endless theft, rape, murder. you could ignorantly laugh and say how that different then now? true it all exist already but it would be tenfold and that even if society could continue to exist. if we want a better world then yes we need to force better behavior, sorry too anyone who rights to be a dick/troll are taken away.
    SBFord

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Usually you can tell that those death threats are just a person who is competing against another person getting caught in the heat of the moment, and there's no need to take it seriously because he will have plenty of time to calm down.

But people don't talk that they're going to do a school shooting just because they get angry in a game.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2019
    It seems like everyday I am seeing a bomb threat, threat of mass shooting taking place just by Google of the terms.

Last year I also had a person IRL whom of which I believe was being a racist jerk accuse me of making a terroristic threat, but it did not hold up at all because they couldn't get their story correct, and waited hours to call the police.

A Similiar incident actually happened to a real life friend where a bully wrote on social media a false accusation that a kid was threatening to commit a mass shooting at their school, but there was lack of evidence.

A Terroristic threat depends on how a person uses the exact wording, assuming that the news articles are 100% exact he will likely get charged with something.

However certain wording such as, The Imagine part, or Imagine IF a person, would be a gray area and could easily be thrown out in a court, as well as comments such as discussing previous terror attacks, or security flaws such as saying "99% OF American schools do not have the proper security because of X reason thus "vulnerable" to terror attacks."

Simply this kid was an idiot.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Galadourn said:

Not if you type things like this:

“Someday, when I have enough money to buy a gun and some ammunition I will shoot up a school where I live,” Mickowski wrote.

“Imagine if I decided to go to an elementary school too. Instead of a high school or middle school imagine. I’ll buy a gun and shoot everyone I can. I’ll stream it on twitch.”

Mickowski also wrote “other dark statements,” according to the arrest report, including: “Promise, watch me blow the head off a 5-year-old with a 12-gauge shotgun.”

So yeah... a nutjob in the making (or already made). He deserves to be behind bars.
    SBFordBlueThunderBearHatefullPonku[Deleted User]
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited April 2019
    I don't see how merely saying that you are going to do something bad at some indefinite point in the future can get you behind bars. It would require extra evidence to bring a case to court, i.e. being actually in possession of a gun, being sighted outside school areas, etc. All that is just nonsense, the guy can very well claim he was "joking" before court.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited April 2019

jimmywolf said:

i understand your not condoning the man but compliance can be just as bad. we all want a better world an more respect but it not going happen every time someone get to do something malicious an walk away even if it only verbal it still pushes the edge to darker things. 

if we wait and ignore asinine behavior because " hey i can " then when/where does it stop? do you know why laws exist? because man cannot police themselves without fear of judgement or repercussions,  if their was no laws the world would be a much darker place full of endless theft, rape, murder. you could ignorantly laugh and say how that different then now? true it all exist already but it would be tenfold and that even if society could continue to exist. if we want a better world then yes we need to force better behavior, sorry too anyone who rights to be a dick/troll are taken away.

FYI what you are talking about is censor of speech and with time, actions as well. I hope you understand that. Surprised that someone who works for information site would click "awesome" on that.

And before people try to BS their way that "hey I'm talking about threats and not actual censor of speech"... it's already happening... people can't even tell other people to F'off cause they will hurt their feelings. In few years that will be penalized by the law with a fine and in few more years after that you will be spending few years in jail for telling someone to F'off.
    Heck the fact that someone clicked "WTF" on my post which just pretty much just says that taking the pitchforks straight away isn't really appropriate, at least in this case just goes to show. In few years my comment would probably be labelled as "support" for terrorism and basically to avoid that I'll have to just shut up and not express my view which is what?Censor is the word in case you wonder.

And I know now a lot of people will get their feelings hurt from what I said for who knows what reason(it's not like I'm actually blaming someone or something but oh well) and there will be people who will try to make it out as if I'm the bad guy... you know the guy that doesn't want someone sent in jail straight away without a proper proof.

FYI did 2 ARAM in LoL few minutes ago and guess what. There were people telling other people that they will rape and kill their mothers. I guess it's time to involve the police? Or wait it doesn't sound as severe as claiming others lives.

If you want to make a difference you might want to express your views on weapons being so readily available rather than this. In my country I'm more afraid of someone running at me with zweihander while wearing a plate armor/chain mail over being shot. It's not like it's hard to get a weapon in fact it's quite easy, BUT the fact that it's not shoved in people's face as if it's something so amazing that you just have to have it makes it that people don't have any interest in weapons.

AalamrLililune
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Galadourn said:

“Someday, when I have enough money to buy a gun and some ammunition I will shoot up a school where I live,” Mickowski wrote.

“Imagine if I decided to go to an elementary school too. Instead of a high school or middle school imagine. I’ll buy a gun and shoot everyone I can. I’ll stream it on twitch.”

Mickowski also wrote “other dark statements,” according to the arrest report, including: “Promise, watch me blow the head off a 5-year-old with a 12-gauge shotgun.”

So yeah... a nutjob in the making (or already made). He deserves to be behind bars.

Agreed. I don't see how some people can joke about it like this is funny nor do I agree that this guy deserves to be executed for threats like this but its clear that this man is a danger to those around him for even thinking to make those comments.
    SBFordHatefullSeelinnikoiCazriel
  • X-ranfeX-ranfe Member UncommonPosts: 77
    He deserved it. This is awful...
    BlueThunderBear

Galadourn said:

Agreed. I don't see how some people can joke about it like this is funny nor do I agree that this guy deserves to be executed for threats like this but its clear that this man is a danger to those around him for even thinking to make those comments.
    The thing that sticks out to me is; he had a plan. I am saving money to buy the tools I need to do this. He had a location in mind. This school, no wait, this school. Which is also indicative that he was thinking about it (pre-meditating) the crime. Any Law Enforcement Agency in the world would take that seriously.

I am going to kill you! ok, whatever.

I am going to kill you tomorrow, at school, with an AK47, around lunchtime. 

It goes from being a general statement which most people will blow off to a specific plan, which needs to be taken seriously.
    SBFordSeelinnikoirojoArcueidBlueThunderBearRenoakuTacticalZombeh

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210

Galadourn said:

Hell no. Lock that trash up and throw away the key.
    SBFordThaneSeelinnikoiHatefullklash2def
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    I have mixed feelings on this. Firstly, this kid may have issues that need to be addressed. Arresting him may not but the best way to address them. Secondly, just saying something threatening should never be a reason to arrest someone. In fact, I would suggest that it is a violation of this guys civil rights to do so. Yes, he threatened to do something horrendous but he did not take any action towards carrying it out. If he gets proper legal consul he probably will never be convicted. He should have been flagged by the local police and been investigated to see if he had intent on carrying out the threats BEFORE he was arrested.

Let's party like it is 1863!