Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers – An MMO We Always Wanted - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers – An MMO We Always Wanted - MMORPG.com

Torchlight has been a fan favorite around here for years. It was an RPG launched in 2009 and quickly became a success on PC. The scope of the world seemed endless, especially for steampunk fantasy fans. As the years moved forward, we were treated to Torchlight II which was an excellent follow up to the original RPG. It offered more classes and options and a more in-depth storyline. Now, almost ten years later we are looking at the launch of the original goal which was a Torchlight MMO.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I've watched the series for a few years but the click to move style game lost me after Fallout 2 and in 2019 it just seems so regressive. Awesome for those that do like that style though as it seems like a cool game.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Are the MMO style patrol zones as fun as those of Marvel Heroes?
    Octagon7711
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

I've watched the series for a few years but the click to move style game lost me after Fallout 2 and in 2019 it just seems so regressive. Awesome for those that do like that style though as it seems like a cool game.

And I prefer the click to move mechanic over WASD especially in an isometric-view game :-)
    MikehaWhiteLanternZalgotas
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I have really high hopes for this game, sadly we will just have to wait and see if they will kill its following by trying to make it an MMO. Too many great standalone RPG games are turning into something terrible because Devs are trying to branch out into the MMO or multiplayer world with popular single player RPGs..
    Octagon7711
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

And I prefer the click to move mechanic over WASD especially in an isometric-view game :-)

Same, Diablo, Titan quest, Path of Exile etc would feel weird using wsad to move in a game like that. It fits the game type imo. Would be nice to have the option of both though so the user can choose. Like for running from point A to point B when you cleared the area already, wsad might be easier, if you can left click and hold that'd work too for me.
    URMAKER

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    edited April 2019

DMKano said:

I guess I am not part of that "we" group.

I am NOT a fan of Perfect World Entertainment so it doesn't matter how awesome the game is, you know you will be wielding your credit card.
    [Deleted User]SamhaelHarikenvonryan123
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I cant take it seriously without leveling, I like to level
    HiromantVitaminK
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm in the alpha and the game is average. It's fun but nothing outlandishly special. Don't get too hyped.
    [Deleted User]VitaminK
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    You know what would be awesome in an MMOARPG? Trains! Trains man, make it happen. We all know highly succesful genres like the MMORPG one need more trains. Absolutely ridiculous, the genre hasn’t even been done right, go make sure the basics work first.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]bamwalla
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    You know what would be awesome in an MMOARPG? Trains! Trains man, make it happen. We all know highly succesful genres like the MMORPG one need more trains. Absolutely ridiculous, the genre hasn’t even been done right, go make sure the basics work first.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    cheeky sheep :p
    Good idea, a cheeky sheep class! Where you can be behehehehed to the bone. Or a crossover with Goat Simulator where you could play a Goatiator dropping down meadows instead of railroad tracks. Ahh man, the posibilities. Wait, you weren't talking about that at all, weren't you?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Aeander said:

Are the MMO style patrol zones as fun as those of Marvel Heroes?

Hard to say. It depends on what you found fun about them.

There are some differences. A day/night cycle is used, with the monsters faced changing along with. Creatures tend to pop out of places quite often, or portal in from nowhere, so the battleground can go from sparse occupancy to bursting quickly. When surrounded you can take a lot of damage quickly.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Heh, well I'll be giving it a go when it comes out. It sounds more fun than a seventh tweaked version of something familiar that's already been tweaked in a half dozen other games.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited April 2019
    If a game is gonna be this corny and clumsy looking it better have some pretty good/unique features to hold my interest. I'm not seeing it. Wasn't a fan of the previous games either over POE or Diablo, so probably just was never going to happen for me.
  • xarklexarkle Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I am not sure why MMORPG.com and others are giving this game positive press.

The "Horizontal progression" is a pretty flawed system,
    The "Weapon progression" feels like trash. Plus they implemented it as if it is an "Ultimate ability" but really it just makes the rest of the kit feel stupid because i want my kill things button back.
    The classes have been underwhelming at best.

I have been very disappointed in the alphas so far. I loved the TL2, and this feels like a step back not forward
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2019
    Doesn't look right. I am obviously not the target demographic.
    [Deleted User]
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

I would prefer the option of having WASD myself. I have issues with my hands an holding a mouse button down all the time or clicking over and over becomes extremely painful. I do not understand why they don't make this an option in reality. I understand that it requires extra coding but it should be an option. I have used mods in other ARPG's for this specific purpose over the years.

DMKano said:

xarkle said:

I have been very disappointed in the alphas so far. I loved the TL2, and this feels like a step back not forward

It is a step back because instead of focusing on what made TL1 and TL2 great and improved on those - they wrongly chose to go down MMO-ARPG route - which has a horrible track record in the west.

There hasn't been a single open world with respawning mobs ARPG-MMO hybrid that has been successful in the west. Yes they all had instances dungeon runs too just like TL Frontiers.

Its like the devs are completely oblivious to what kind of ARPG western playerbase prefers. 

My least favorite part has been the MMO aspects of this to be honest. I do not enjoy having others to compete with in this type of game myself. You know you see the mob you need for your quest then bam as you get to it that dustmage coming the other way kills it leaving you looking for more, that isn't fun for me. I mean co-op would have been ok for those that wanted to play with friends, but I have no interest whatsoever in playing a game like this with strangers.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I wouldn't necessarily had called it a mmo but back several years ago there was a game: Dungeon Runners that I enjoyed & this game, based-off of videos of it, reminds me a bit of it. I liked the almost comical whimsical approach while maintaining some more serious gaming too.
    edited April 2019
    foppotee said:
    I wouldn't necessarily had called it a mmo but back several years ago there was a game: Dungeon Runners that I enjoyed & this game, based-off of videos of it, reminds me a bit of it. I liked the almost comical whimsical approach while maintaining some more serious gaming too.
    It is nothing like dungeon runners to be honest.  I loved that game, miss my bling gnome.  NCsoft should be ashamed for the way they handled that game.  It was a lot more fast paced than this game.  This game has its good parts.  To me it feels a little slow.  I can't decide if it is the rate of loot, or just slow in progression overall.  It is fun, I just can't play it for more than 30 mins or so at a time though.  It has gotten better over time though, an hopefully that trend will continue. I really do want this game to succeed even though I criticize it, I put many, many hours into this games namesakes.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i will play it for sure it looks fun.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    edited April 2019
    14 players max as stated on video by the developers.

Tell me how 14 players is massively multiplayer pleaase.
  • Rudedawg007Rudedawg007 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I fail to see what makes this game so special or different?

I mean seriously I LOVED Torchlight 2 - but for an mmo.

PLEASE will someone come out and actually advance the genre instead of all of these cookie cutter games...

MMO's are so boring now....
    [Deleted User]
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Those words have been said many times before, about an unreleased game.
    Also who are the "we" ? I am sure it might be the perfect game for some, but so far it sound like it just narrowly could be defined as a mmo. I am sure it could potentially be a good game, but history showed us, there is absolutely no chance to know for sure before we get our hands on it .. there are so many details that can completely ruin a game that **could** only be good (hello Diablo3, helo a bunch of mmos).

To count as something I have been waiting for, I would say this game needs co-op at the least if not actual roles, persistant world and mmo like content.. And that is not something I have heard they talk about. I was not a particular fan of Torchlight. It was waaaayyy to simple and has always fallen far down my list of fav. arpgs.. But you know, low expectations sometimes works in a games favor.
  • VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Played this during each Alpha, disappointed to say the least. This game just screams mobile.
  • KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    Aori said:
    Ya, I'm not sure who we are. I'm quite disappointed by the game, the frontier system is cumbersome and not enjoyable. I don't know who this game is catered too because it doesn't fit what people have been wanting in MMOs or ARPGs. I don't think it fits any niche people are wanting and is missing all marks.
    sounds like each skill has their own levels like in ultima online