Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher Netflix series will debut in late-2019

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Dragnelus said:
    Scot said:
    Hi, it is me again, that nuisance who asks things like "Do you the OP like the Witcher Series" and "Are you looking forward to the TV series?" :)
    Hai Scot,

I'm looking forward for it. I think/hope "superman" will act great as Gerald.

And you?
    I am as well, though there have been some questions about the leads acting ability, we shall see.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Any decent budget Witcher series is a good thing to me.

If it's good, great. If it's bad, I'm glad they gave it a shot. A chance of this being good is better than no chance at all.

I mean, if it's bad, you just ignore it and pretend it never happened, right? It's not the end of the world.
    [Deleted User]delete5230
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Asm0deus said:
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Not sure how this is going to turn out, I have misgivings tbh...they seem to be letting the whole SJW thing interfere with the lore. 

It's starting to remind me of the Charmed reboot, which is frankly a simply awful show.
    lol I have friends who like the charmed reboot so I guess to each his/her own. It's not like the original was amazing given how often they changed their own rules for their world.

I guess I don't find diversity to be very "SJW" but just being inclusive and letting other people join the party.

I also live in a very diverse area with people from all walks of life.

Additionally, having been involved with theater quite a bit, I'm used to having recasting of parts from people who normally would not be cast in that part and have found it really can work very well.

As far as I'm concerned, the only person who should be pissed/overjoyed is the original creator of the work. If he's fine with it then it's his vision.

I mean, I've written pieces for voice that I'd normally only have a man sing but when sang by a women it really brought a whole new slant that was very welcome.

I've thought about my current work and whether or not a theater company would swap out characters for another race and my final thought is as long as they do a good job I don't care.

Which gets back to my previous thought; the writer of this work is the one that should make the final decision. If he has no say he's a moron for writing away his rights and his input and he has no one to blame but himself.

Does it really matter if someone with a great tan plays a certain part? From where I sit I don't care.
    I feel they are trying to tick boxes over getting it right and being true to canon or lore, it's simple really. 

Take the Shannara tv show...it's awful if you go in expecting it to be anything like the books prepare for disappointment, it's more of a reboot of the entire book series tbh so some people will love it but many pre existing fans will hate it.

Same goes with the new Star Wars movie, I like them but I am not familiar with the lore as I have never really read the books yet there lot of Disney hate cause many fans feel they are messing it up.

I am all for diversity and inclusiveness as long as it not at the expense or exclusion of others simply due to backgrounds.

I have always been of the mind that if you use an IP then be faithful to the existing lore and canon otherwise why bother?

As an older white heterosexual male I can't help but feel some people are just trying too damn hard to be "open" or politically correct, non racist etc etc to the point that it's almost turning into self hate.

I mean I wonder if you would have typed the same if they rebooted blade and made him white or recast black panther with someone of asian descent.

What they did to Shannara was a crime.  They took one of my all time favorite books and turned it into a heaping pile of propaganda. And it utterly failed on multiple levels.

I absolutely hate when folks feel the need to change established characters and stories.  I just don’t see the need.  Instead of changing what already exists why not create something NEW that reflects the view they want to show? I think a great example is the new Sulu in Star Trek.  George Takei the original Sulu happens to be gay.  His character was not and this is clearly demonstrated in many episodes of the original series.  For some reason they decided to write Sulu as a gay married man with a child in the new movies.  George was dead on by stating:"I’m delighted that there’s a gay character. Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate." 

To me, when you change a character to check a box you are disrespecting not only the original work, but also the cause you try to advance by pushing an underlying concept that such characters cannot be created fresh and stand on their own. 

Look at Arya Stark from GoT.  She has become one of the strongest characters in modern pop culture.  This is because of how the character was written and her development was integral to the story.  She has had a hero’s journey and a great story arc.  THAT is how you get a strong female character on screen.  People go “Arya’s a badass!!” And not “Why did Aron become Arya?”

We need more of that and less retconning stories to check boxes.

Asm0deus[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Rhoklaw said:
    Too bad it's been infested with political propaganda.
    How so?

Signed sincerely curious ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2019
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Not sure how this is going to turn out, I have misgivings tbh...they seem to be letting the whole SJW thing interfere with the lore. 

It's starting to remind me of the Charmed reboot, which is frankly a simply awful show.
    "SJW" is such a trendy social-mediaish way to describe what has always been and will always be the way with any narrative reflecting the social and political views of the authors.

I get that sometimes it's forced and that looks stupid but that is not a new thing and there have always been shitty story tellers as well as good ones.

I'll reserve judgement until I have seen the series. It could be good with a "moral of the story" light touch or it could be stupidly heavy-handed. We shall see.
    This is a great comment. My problem is the series is that it's infested with "Live Action" and I have no interest in that at all. And since it's live action I think Netflix will heap the obligatory sex and gore in GoT/Outlander/Vikings fashion.
    Well, it is the witcher and the games have sex and gore. I'm assuming the books have sex, not sure about descriptions of gore.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Well for one thing I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that in the TV series he won't be collecting dressed-for-bed cards from girls he has slept with. :)
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    Any decent budget Witcher series is a good thing to me.

If it's good, great. If it's bad, I'm glad they gave it a shot. A chance of this being good is better than no chance at all.

I mean, if it's bad, you just ignore it and pretend it never happened, right? It's not the end of the world.
    I'm honestly not expecting too much of the show. I fear they are going to Hollywood generify the show taking away what makes The Witcher unique, and therefore interesting.
    You get a gold star for "generify." :+1:

Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

How about racial swapping a key role which goes completely against the lore to meet the new "political" standards of Hollywood? Of course that statement alone is enough to get me labeled as a racist, but fortunately for me, I live in reality and can laugh such accusations off.

I loved Wonder Woman and Panther was pretty amazing. It's the infringement on intellectual property by a certain group under the guise of equality that pisses large portion of fans off. Instead of creating their own intellectual property, story, background, environments. They simply take something that already exists and twist it into an antagonistic joke.

Let me know if that satiates your curious appetite =)
    Does it actually go against the lore? Or is it that the character was portrayed as white? 

Also, are there people with better tans in the world of the Witcher? How does changing the character’s skin color adversely affect the character?

like I mentioned the author seems fine with it so if the creator of the work is good then I’m good.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

"SJW" is such a trendy social-mediaish way to describe what has always been and will always be the way with any narrative reflecting the social and political views of the authors.

I get that sometimes it's forced and that looks stupid but that is not a new thing and there have always been shitty story tellers as well as good ones.

I'll reserve judgement until I have seen the series. It could be good with a "moral of the story" light touch or it could be stupidly heavy-handed. We shall see.
    If it's anything like that new steam punk themed animation where it seems Westerners are evil monsters, it will be heavy handed. Too much of Netflix is now.
    Asm0deusCaffynated
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

If it's anything like that new steam punk themed animation where it seems Westerners are evil monsters, it will be heavy handed. Too much of Netflix is now.
    Which one? I normally like steam punk stuff but I must have missed that one.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

It's a Turn of the century animation that takes place in.......I want to say Hong Kong or some such place. It has spiritualists and demons and magi-tech. It looks otherwise half decent, but the English Colonials all being portrayed as evil monsters was a bit too heavy handed for my taste.

I think it's called Love and Robots.
    [Deleted User]
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

It's a Turn of the century animation that takes place in.......I want to say Hong Kong or some such place. It has spiritualists and demons and magi-tech. It looks otherwise half decent, but the English Colonials all being portrayed as evil monsters was a bit too heavy handed for my taste.

So... English colonials are definitely evil from the colonies point of view. Did you think they were just spreading the word?!
    Cryomatrix[Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

How about racial swapping a key role which goes completely against the lore to meet the new "political" standards of Hollywood? Of course that statement alone is enough to get me labeled as a racist, but fortunately for me, I live in reality and can laugh such accusations off.

I loved Wonder Woman and Panther was pretty amazing. It's the infringement on intellectual property by a certain group under the guise of equality that pisses large portion of fans off. Instead of creating their own intellectual property, story, background, environments. They simply take something that already exists and twist it into an antagonistic joke.

Forgive me but i’ve not read any of the books, I’ve only played the games.

Does the world of the Witcher take place on earth? Or some other imaginary world? I know the games basically have humans, dwarfs and elves as races. Do the world of the Witcher also have different colours of people in the different races? Or is it just humans, elves and dwarfs? Are humans in the Witcher only Caucasian? Are they even Caucasian? does that even exist in the Witcher world?

I’m just sincerely ignorant of what types of skin colours there are for humans in the Witcher world. Do the books define that? I know there is a lot of racism in the Witcher world towards elves and Dwarfs but I’ve never heard a peep about skin colour. 
    Iselin[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited April 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Does it actually go against the lore? Or is it that the character was portrayed as white? 

Also, are there people with better tans in the world of the Witcher? How does changing the character’s skin color adversely affect the character?

like I mentioned the author seems fine with it so if the creator of the work is good then I’m good.
    Please...you know it is as I have answered that question, quite clearly, a couple times already.

Also please stop with the suntan comparison it's just plain asinine.
    :D

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Forgive me but i’ve not read any of the books, I’ve only played the games.

Does the world of the Witcher take place on earth? Or some other imaginary world? I know the games basically have humans, dwarfs and elves as races. Do the world of the Witcher also have different colours of people in the different races? Or is it just humans, elves and dwarfs? Are humans in the Witcher only Caucasian? Are they even Caucasian? does that even exist in the Witcher world?

I’m just sincerely ignorant of what types of skin colours there are for humans in the Witcher world. Do the books define that? I know there is a lot of racism in the Witcher world towards elves and Dwarfs but I’ve never heard a peep about skin colour. 
    Its setting as far as I can tell, is an alternate medieval Northern Europe like most Western fantasy. In that context having nearly 100% white makes sense in the historical context since most people didn't travel very far back in those days.

Tolkien was the same although as I recall, Sauron did have some dark-skinned mercenaries from "down south."

Depending n the fantasy setting I do have much more tolerance for all white casts if they make sense in the context (would be weird if the setting was an alternate Africa though :)) But I do have little tolerance for all white scifi set in the future since the intermingling of races and cultures is happening big time now and I expect that to be even more so in the future.
    [Deleted User]laserit
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

That was just one episode of Love and Robots a very good series. But as soon as I realised that story was going to feature the British Empire I yawned in expectation of the caricature that it turned out to be. But don't let that put you of the series.
    Iselin[Deleted User]gervaise1
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

That was just one episode of Love and Robots a very good series. But as soon as I realised that story was going to feature the British Empire I yawned in expectation of the caricature that it turned out to be. But don't let that put you of the series.
    Yeah that was an awesome series. Very imaginative animation.
    [Deleted User]Scotgervaise1

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Sovrath said:
    Well that's what I'm saying. If I'm writing about Feudal Japan then "I'm writing about Feudal Japan" and race would matter. I'm not going to write about Feudal Japan being entirely populated by the Spanish.

If I write a murder mystery it could have everyone black or everyone white or everyone a nice coffee color.

But if I write a murder mystery "specifically" set in old Persia or South Africa, then that is going to take into account the people. If I write a fantasy story then quite frankly I don't care how tan or pale the people are. Or light green.

The Witcher is the Polish Lord of the Rings. It's set in a fantasy Poland similar to how Kislev is fantasy Russia in Warhammer, and is about the people and myths of Poland. It makes about as much sense to replace white characters in The Witcher as it would to have a white actor play the Shogun in a feudal Japan fantasy.
    CryomatrixAragoni[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:
    Well that's what I'm saying. If I'm writing about Feudal Japan then "I'm writing about Feudal Japan" and race would matter. I'm not going to write about Feudal Japan being entirely populated by the Spanish.

If I write a murder mystery it could have everyone black or everyone white or everyone a nice coffee color.

But if I write a murder mystery "specifically" set in old Persia or South Africa, then that is going to take into account the people. If I write a fantasy story then quite frankly I don't care how tan or pale the people are. Or light green.

The Witcher is the Polish Lord of the Rings. It's set in a fantasy Poland similar to how Kislev is fantasy Russia in Warhammer, and is about the people and myths of Poland. It makes about as much sense to replace white characters in The Witcher as it would to have a white actor play the Shogun in a feudal Japan fantasy.
    I agree. But when the creator of the work allows it then that's pretty much it.

I don't care what lore nerds say when the creator of any work is still alive and can still alter his/her work.

After the fact? Depends on what is documented, what author/creator has said.

I mean we know there were Black People in Europe during the Renaissance and most were not high up in Society, with a few odd exceptions (see Medici).

but just because Tolkien wrote from his European perspective and everyone is white except for the easterlings or whatever they are called, doesn't mean that Andrzej Sapkowski's white Witcher world has to stay a white witcher world if he's ok with it. As it seems he is.

Like I said, I'm more on the side of the creator of a work and being a creator of many works, I know that I have adapted and changed things along the way for one reason or another. And if someone changed something I didn't like I'd say stop and if someone changed something and persuaded me of its merit I'd give it my blessing.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I agree. But when the creator of the work allows it then that's pretty much it.

I don't care what lore nerds say when the creator of any work is still alive and can still alter his/her work.

After the fact? Depends on what is documented, what author/creator has said.

I mean we know there were Black People in Europe during the Renaissance and most were not high up in Society, with a few odd exceptions (see Medici).

but just because Tolkien wrote from his European perspective and everyone is white except for the easterlings or whatever they are called, doesn't mean that Andrzej Sapkowski's white Witcher world has to stay a white witcher world if he's ok with it. As it seems he is.

Like I said, I'm more on the side of the creator of a work and being a creator of many works, I know that I have adapted and changed things along the way for one reason or another. And if someone changed something I didn't like I'd say stop and if someone changed something and persuaded me of its merit I'd give it my blessing.

The only comment I can find from him on the subject isn't endorsing race swapping the main characters. He said he supports the show portraying the diversity that is in The Witcher universe, which I take to mean portraying characters like Tea and Vea from Zerrikania.

Asm0deus
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited April 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    Sovrath said:

Can you imagine if the Last Samurai was a white dude? Oh wait! I mean they did a great job of incorporating him into the story, but this is what Hollywood does.
    Ken Watanabe gave an absolutely incredible performance in that role.  Such screen presence... he absolutely dominated Cruise in that film. So the analogy is not correct.  It would have been quite wrong for Cruise to play Katsumodo in that film and that would really have been analogous to what we are discussing here.  It would have been wrong and ham-fisted there, same as here.

And to me... the worst part is NOT that they just would put out an open casting call and well, if they had a great actress that was a bit different from the part then they find a way to work it in.  Nope.  That's not what happened.  Instead, they put out a call for a specific race which was different form the character as written and previously portrayed... meaning they just wanted to check a box.   

Back to your analogy:  It would have been very bad if they just put out a casting call and ended up with a white guy playing Katsumodo.   It would have been a travesty if they specifically went looking for one.  And that is the equivalent of what happened here.  

By the way, I think it's an absolute shame that Watanabe never gained more fame and greater roles.  I always envisioned him as the perfect Captain of a Starfleet vessel.  Not a recast Capt Kirk, but his own character, on his own vessel.   Instead, he's typecast in Godzilla and Pokemon movies.   THAT is a shame and an utter waste of talent.

So to me, the correct discussion would be around creating new stories and characters that involve varying races, sexes, colors, religions whatever.  NOT that we should ever retcon previous work to force checking a box.

Asm0deus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited April 2019
    I did more research and it appears we have focused too much on the uproar...and that even Lauren Schmidt Hissrich was putting oil on the fire as the bame casting seems to have not been true, I mean if it wasn't why didn't she just say so?

Can't help but wonder if this drama was intentional.

Ciri is being played by Freya Allan

That said looking at IMDB has me pretty satisfied with the cast except for Cavill..I don't think he will make a good witcher just because I am not convinced he can pull off the witcher attitude or vibe plus he looks like a badly made legolas  at least in the shot seen so far...

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited April 2019
    From head up... does not look like Geralt:

Really looks like Geralt:

Slapshot1188AsheramGorwe[Deleted User]

edited April 2019
    Asm0deus said:
    From head up... does not look like Geralt:

Really looks like Geralt:

Cavil is just too pretty boy. He'd be better as Legolas' older and more troubled brother.