Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Game That Never Would Be: Leaked Documents Show City of Heroes 2 Concepts - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Game That Never Would Be: Leaked Documents Show City of Heroes 2 Concepts - MMORPG.com News

Back in 2008, NC Northern California presented their conceptual ideas for City of Heroes 2. The leaked Powerpoint presentation goes over the success of the original City of Heroes that launched in 2004 and made the case for a second game that would capitalized on "popular culture pumped" by recent cinema releases and on the strength of the company's wholly original IP.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

[Deleted User]

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Such a shame. They had the momentum to fulfill the concepts they outline in the docs. :/
    GladDogOhhPaigeySinsaiSaltyDog79Vexiusx[Deleted User]MadFrenchiewingoodScotEponyxDamorand 5 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dunno why, but I really wanted to listen to the FFX Zanarkand music while reading this....
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This makes me sad. It was such a good game. And a sequel might have been great.
    GladDogAlverantSinsai[Deleted User]MadFrenchiewingoodgunklackerScotAzaron_Nightbladekitaradand 1 other.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Those goals seem pretty lofty for 2008, but if they had done all of that...

I am sure I would still be playing it.
    [Deleted User]wingoodScot

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited April 2019
    CoH 2 I think would still be thriving to this day, an actual good super hero MMO is what's missing in this oversaturated market right now. Champions Online is the closest thing, which isn't saying much, because I wouldn't even rate CO as average.

Heck, I'd put money on the fact that if CoH was still up & running, even in maintenance mode, CO & DCUO wouldn't still exist.

Edit: The only thing DCUO has going for it, is that it's on consoles..
    GladDog[Deleted User]SamhaelwingoodAlverantCaptain-Electric
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited April 2019
    OhhPaigey said:
    CoH 2 I think would still be thriving to this day, an actual good super hero MMO is what's missing in this oversaturated market right now. Champions Online is the closest thing, which isn't saying much, because I wouldn't even rate CO as average.
    Well, it's one of three things that I would say are missing in this market:

1) A quality superhero MMO

2) A quality martial arts MMO

3) A modern instanced, knowledge-based CRPG akin to the original Guild Wars. 
    OhhPaigeyGladDogwingoodCayleraScot
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Yeah, it sucks. It would have been great, back then.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    If only they had come up with this presentation in 2007 - before NCSoft bought Carbine.
    [Deleted User]wingoodScotVezlin
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I still can't believe they just yanked it when they did. Right as the Marvel movies were starting to kick in. I miss CoX so much. I would re-sub in a heartbeat if they brought it back.
    wingoodsschruppAlverantAzaron_Nightblade
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Oh god this is like a knife through the heart.
    [Deleted User]momintimwingoodScotkitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    The only game I truly loved.
    [Deleted User]wingoodAlverant
  • HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Umm take my money please i wish this really happened even till this day i miss COH sooo much such a good game shafted really a damn shame. COH was the best super hero mmo period all these other ones are garbage in comparison in fact there is not a comparison. I would love to see it come back i would throw my money at NCSoft if they did.
    wingoodAlverant
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    *single tear rolls down cheek*
    wingoodAlverant
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

Aeander said:

OhhPaigey said:

Well, it's one of three things that I would say are missing in this market:

1) A quality superhero MMO

2) A quality martial arts MMO

3) A modern instanced, knowledge-based CRPG akin to the original Guild Wars. 

Only 3 Things I would say are missing in this market:

1) A Quality MMORPG

2) A Quality MMORPG

3) A Quality MMORPG
    Samhaelwingood

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Maybe some special, super priviliged, scoffing at the outside world, elite jerks are running some mega secret COH2 server, and we will find out in six years time the game actually did exist. Crazy times man, anything could happen. Right? RIGHT?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieAzaron_Nightbladekitarad
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    lahnmir said:
    Maybe some special, super priviliged, scoffing at the outside world, elite jerks are running some mega secret COH2 server, and we will find out in six years time the game actually did exist. Crazy times man, anything could happen. Right? RIGHT?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It wouldn't be the first time.
    MadFrenchie
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    This... Make this happen. That's all
    wingoodblackthornn
  • ParagonianParagonian Member UncommonPosts: 39

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I know, right? :D

Makes you wonder what else could be in the works, doesn't it?
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Here's hoping Ship of Heroes scratches the itch.
    SBFordwingoodScotAlverantCaptain-Electric
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

momintim said:

Here's hoping Ship of Heroes scratches the itch.

As long as players do not think SoH is going to be the new CoH, that's mighty big supers thigh boots to fill. :)
    gervaise1KyleranAlverantwarsaber1375
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    OhhPaigey said:

Heck, I'd put money on the fact that if CoH was still up & running, even in maintenance mode, CO & DCUO wouldn't still exist.

Edit: The only thing DCUO has going for it, is that it's on consoles..
    CoH2 was never a game so no one will ever know if it would of worked.

CoH was not "thriving" but surviving or they would not have closed it. I think there were other issues with the company and dev's/IP that turned out to be more of an issue than just letting a game continue along. 

IMO the game had changed and gotten too complex to draw in new players in the numbers that they wished and when they continued to lose numbers, they just decided closing was the easiest option.

To bad, was the best of the super heroes games for sure. Always enjoyed going back for a month or so every year, like i did with E&B, both of those games were 2 of my favorites.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683

koldmiser said:

I still can't believe they just yanked it when they did. Right as the Marvel movies were starting to kick in. I miss CoX so much. I would re-sub in a heartbeat if they brought it back.

I'm right there with you. I'd sub for sure. Hell, even if it was a cash shop or some other dirty word, as long as it was City of Heroes 2 and not some insult to the memory I'd throw my money at it.
    Alverant
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    F**k NCSoft.

That is all.
    AlverantStormBNilden

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2019
    OhhPaigey said:
    I believe you'd lose that money... :smiley: since neither of those were related to CoH's presence, quite the other way around, take f2p for example:
    Paragon was on the sub side, with the openly available trial (which trial was only introduced after CO's launch by the way), but when CO went to f2p, CoH received Freedom half a year later...

Based on the period before the Onslaught update (when there was no activity from the devs for almost 2 whole years) I'd rather put money on that CO would still be around even with a successful, several million active players filled CoH, if PWE kept it alive for years in the dormant period too.

Same for DCUO, SOE wanted an MMO on PS3, WB backed it up with writers and a year-long comic book line, it launched when CoH was already in a decline... and they're actively updating it, carried it over to PS4 (and, shocking, to Xbone...), cross-promote it with the movies, etc.
    I'm pretty sure it also would be here as well, even with a still active, roaring successful CoH, let alone a maintenance mode one.
  • lisaroblisarob Member UncommonPosts: 93
    where have all you guys been why have they not reported this. COH source code is out. There has been a private server running for 6 years. we will all be able to play coh again in weeks