Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pagan Online Combines Familiar Genres for Tons of Epic Fun - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePagan Online Combines Familiar Genres for Tons of Epic Fun - MMORPG.com

When you think "Wargaming," the first thing that probably comes to mind is World of Tanks or, perhaps, World of Warships. Pagan Online is Wargaming's latest offering, and it proves that the company is about more than just military-based action titles. Pagan Online is filled with surprises and is a fun combination of several genres all stirred together for a new twist on the familiar. The surprise, however, began with the game's unexpected launch into Early Access late last night.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Grimz_DragonGrimz_Dragon Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Pagan Online But it is only a single player game. just another dumb online single player game that should just be offline
    Ozmodan
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Pagan Online But it is only a single player game. just another dumb online single player game that should just be offline

It is single player FOR NOW. Co-op is coming in the very near future. Get yer facts straight! :)
    TokkenNeonSaru

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    "When you think "Wargaming," the first thing that probably comes to mind is World of Tanks or, perhaps, World of Warships."

When you think "Wargaming," the first thing that probably comes to mind is pathetic Pay-2-Win.
    ananitAsm0deusOzmodanNarmorRemyVorenderDr_Binks
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    never touching anything wargaming ever again.
    it will be pay 2 win make sure of that or more accurately in the case of world of tanks 'pay to not be stuck by the horrible monetized progression'.
    they are the EA of 'free' to play. hard pass.
    Ozmodandoomex
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    I am always happy to see new ARPGs. I'm a highly stressed person, and ARPGs are one of those stresskiller genres that I have grown to really enjoy (alongside looter shooters and Warriors games). 
    SBFordExistentialistTsuby
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Bah WG isn't as pay to win as they could be. They have to make money somehow. I owned plenty of premium tanks, and every time folks whined about it I would just say "You are welcome".
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I bought in and stayed up too late playing and I agree with you. I just wish it had a point-to-click feature. WASD to me is cumbersome.
    Rhygarth
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    I've pumped about 15 something hours into the game. I like it. I think the character unlocks could be handled a bit better, but eh... Overall I've enjoyed what I've played.

Feels really solid and has some fun ideas.
    SBFord
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I've pumped about 15 something hours into the game. I like it. I think the character unlocks could be handled a bit better, but eh... Overall I've enjoyed what I've played.

Feels really solid and has some fun ideas.
    Same, the combat is VERY fun and I think this is the closest we will get to a Western Lost Ark in that regard.  

I'm not the biggest fan of the available classes but It would probably be more fun than I am assuming to jump in and play some of them. 

I played during the alpha and without spending a ton of time you only had access too two classes basically :/
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Cygi said:

"When you think "Wargaming," the first thing that probably comes to mind is World of Tanks or, perhaps, World of Warships."

When you think "Wargaming," the first thing that probably comes to mind is pathetic Pay-2-Win.

explains why they hightlighted char customization that weird. you'd expect your char to look like the stuff he is using atm in such a game ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I am always happy to see new ARPGs. Looks interesting!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    I bought in and stayed up too late playing and I agree with you. I just wish it had a point-to-click feature. WASD to me is cumbersome.
    You had me at WASD! I think they are trying to beat Riot Gear to the punch! Purchasing now!
    Aeander
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    edited April 2019
    I'll never understand the preference for point and click controls in isometric games. A control scheme that binds moving and attacking (and looting) to the same button is an inherently flawed and inferior one. (And that's especially true for mobas in which a single misclick could bring your squishy ranged hero to their unfortunate deaths).

WASD is the most tried and tested PC control scheme for a reason. It's fluid, convenient, comfortable (for those who don't suffer left hand arthritis) and offers precise control over your moment to moment moving in a way that point and click controls do not and cannot. 
    RhygarthQuizzicalAsm0deusrojoArcueidSignex
    Torval said:
    Characters unlocks. Hard pass. Not getting milked for a mediocre GaaS game that will go the way of Atlas Reactor, Kritika, Devillian, and bunch of other shit cash grabs that die in a year or two.
    Counter point - Marvel Heroes lasted 5 years, and this was despite having an incompetent publisher and one of the worst initial launch states in gaming history.
    SBFordManWithNoTan
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

Aeander said:

Torval said:

Characters unlocks. Hard pass. Not getting milked for a mediocre GaaS game that will go the way of Atlas Reactor, Kritika, Devillian, and bunch of other shit cash grabs that die in a year or two.

Counter point - Marvel Heroes lasted 5 years, and this was despite having an incompetent publisher and one of the worst initial launch states in gaming history.

yeah and they had to bring in david brevik as the lead game dev to get them out of this mess. and coincidentally, it went to shit as soon as he left (or he had the foresight to leave before shit hit the fan).
    whereas here we have wargaming as a publisher, widely known for their greed and horrible p2w in all their games and mad head game as a dev studio widely known for obscure puzzle adventure games.
    and they decide to make a game in a genre that has already failed with ncsoft's mxm : arpg/moba hybrids.
    it will die within 6 months tops if it ever leaves early access.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    That was down to the IP, and besides don't we and the IP deserve a fully 3d MMORPG?
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    That was down to the IP, and besides don't we and the IP deserve a fully 3d MMORPG?
    I don't know? That question is phrased to imply a MMORPG is superior to an ARPG. I would disagree 110% and enjoy an ARPG much more. The state of MMORPGs is not the gaming holy land we have in our heads, and they are actually years behind the quality standards of most of the industry right now.

Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Their monetization was crap and character unlocks were a big millstone around their neck. The entire game was over monetized and that drug it down. It is one of the biggest catalyst events in turning my opinions around about online gaming. MHO doesn't support your point. It proves mine. Fool me once. I'm not doing that anymore.
    Two different points. You made the claim that being a GAAS ARPG means it will close down quickly. I have shown that to not necessarily be the case. Your opinion of MHO and its monetization is an entirely seperate and irrelevant discussion to that point. My own (mixed but somewhat positive) opinion of MHO is also irrelevant.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited April 2019
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    I don't know? That question is phrased to imply a MMORPG is superior to an ARPG. I would disagree 110% and enjoy an ARPG much more.

Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Their monetization was crap and character unlocks were a big millstone around their neck. The entire game was over monetized and that drug it down. It is one of the biggest catalyst events in turning my opinions around about online gaming. MHO doesn't support your point. It proves mine. Fool me once. I'm not doing that anymore.
    Two different points. You made the claim that being a GAAS ARPG means it will close down quickly. I have shown that to not necessarily be the case. Your opinion of MHO and its monetization is an entirely seperate and irrelevant discussion to that point. My own (mixed but somewhat positive) opinion of MHO is also irrelevant.
    Really, with little supers and the lobby? Make a Marvel MMORPG with the set up of CoH and the fans will come, big time.

One of my favourite things about Marvel Heroes was usually an anathema to me, the lobby where we had great discussions about comics, comic films etc. But I still disliked the bitty effect it had on gameplay.
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    I don't know? That question is phrased to imply a MMORPG is superior to an ARPG. I would disagree 110% and enjoy an ARPG much more.

Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Really, with little supers and the lobby? Make a Marvel MMORPG with the set up of CoH and the fans will come, big time.

One of my favourite things about Marvel Heroes was usually an anathema to me, the lobby where we had great discussions about comics, comic films etc. But I still disliked the bitty effect it had on gameplay.
    By no means am I suggesting that a MMORPG wouldn't be nice. There is no IP that doesn't "deserve" a good game regardless of genre. 

Also, I don't consider lobbies or instances to be bad things. My favorite game ever, the original Guild Wars, was as good as it was precisely BECAUSE lobbies and instancing allowed it to pull off clever challenges and player limitations that would simply not be possible in an open MMORPG. But instances and lobbies are, admittedly, grossly misused in most games.

I actually liked MHO. It was a limited game. It didn't have enough content. But its MMO-lite patrol zones and zany antics made it special among ARPGs. I miss it.
    SBFordNepheth
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I know you guys usually tag things as sponsored but reading this piece.....I'm not gonna say anything, but I'm just saying.....
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I'm interested in the MMO and ARPG type games. But the MOBA part killed it for me.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Albatroes said:
    I know you guys usually tag things as sponsored but reading this piece.....I'm not gonna say anything, but I'm just saying.....
    That a game is now officially available to play certainly striikes me as newsworthy.

The tone of the post is quite positive, but it wouldn't be out of place in a favorable review of a game.  Really, though, are the staff on this site not allowed to like any games?
    NephethSandmanjw
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited April 2019

Quizzical said:

Albatroes said:

That a game is now officially available to play certainly striikes me as newsworthy.

The tone of the post is quite positive, but it wouldn't be out of place in a favorable review of a game.  Really, though, are the staff on this site not allowed to like any games?

No they are not allowed to like or dislike anything, any kind of personal opinion is frowned upon and will get them grief.....they should just roll over n .... :D

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    SBFord said:

It is single player FOR NOW. Co-op is coming in the very near future. Get yer facts straight! :)
    Until they add it it is and will be just another single player arpg. Hope it is good but till then on the fence.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Albatroes said:
    Well it's a pretty good game. What did you expect? So if the staff like a game that means they are sponsored?

Played it on my friend's account and pretty liked it so far. I don't think I will buy it yet but it is a super polished game(even tho it is early access) with pretty good art style and great animations. The voiceover is really good and I really enjoyed the story elements of the game. The fights are very enjoyable too. The only problem I have right now is the animation lock issue. It doesn't feel fluent enough when you have to stop moving all the time if you wanna use a skill. I mean the game has wasd controls. It is a shame that you can't enjoy this enough with this animation lock problem.

But it is still early access and they have long way to go before the actual release. I can actually buy this game in the future if they can fix the combat issue and release it with some nice online features without using any shitty monetization tricks. For now I'll wait because I don't trust Wargaming enough to buy any of their games just to play it early.