Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Devs: 'We Want to Produce the UNexpected' While Keeping It Fun & Meaningful - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePantheon Devs: 'We Want to Produce the UNexpected' While Keeping It Fun & Meaningful - MMORPG.com

The latest Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen newsletter has hit inboxes everywhere, this time with a look at how the developers are working to ensure that the game is something players expect, but simultaneously, featuring the UNexpected as well. Players can "expect an emphasis on social gameplay" that is both rewarding and memorable -- all the while with little surprises thrown in. "Expect wonder. Expect to have to think differently about people, environments & the world you occupy."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    Why am I getting a Crowfall vibe from this....? After Crowfall started announcing 'new stuff' they spent the next 3-4 years talking about it.....Dont try to re-invent the wheel and just stick to deadlines....stuff can always be added post launch....
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KumaponMargrave
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    I still don't understand why they decided to try and cram all this stuff into a brand new game when they have such a small team. Why try and get all these revolutionary systems that have never been tried in an MMO before ?

I mean if you had a team of 300 people sure but they have like a dozen? It seems like they have bit off way more then they can chew. With Project Farthall being the 1 zone they were going to go live with all these systems, and its been silent. I am getting the feeling that the stuff is just not working.

They should have just started out with a solid core game and planned on expansions to introduce the new systems once the game could sustain itself. Getting this game launched with what they say they want to do would have been a challenge with the funding and staffing of a AAA game studio. But when you got folks working out of your garage you need to avoid scope creep.
    Amathejimmywolf[Deleted User]Samhael
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2019
    Loading, please wait ..... Polishing ladders for climbing.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited April 2019

Kumapon said:

I still don't understand why they decided to try and cram all this stuff into a brand new game when they have such a small team. Why try and get all these revolutionary systems that have never been tried in an MMO before ?

I mean if you had a team of 300 people sure but they have like a dozen? It seems like they have bit off way more then they can chew. With Project Farthall being the 1 zone they were going to go live with all these systems, and its been silent. I am getting the feeling that the stuff is just not working.

They should have just started out with a solid core game and planned on expansions to introduce the new systems once the game could sustain itself. Getting this game launched with what they say they want to do would have been a challenge with the funding and staffing of a AAA game studio. But when you got folks working out of your garage you need to avoid scope creep.

That's the real issue with indie mmorpg development in general (aside from financial priority, but it closely ties together as well). When you're dealing with a corporate company, you're given X amount of funding and have to decide what makes it and what doesn't within a given time frame. Most of these teams seem to think they need to release a 'complete' mmorpg without realizing that EVERY mmorpg is released unfinished and relies on patches/expansions to fully flesh it out. People who backed this project just wanted something that stuck to the original ideology of mmorpgs in the past that involved a lot of time and team work to progress. We're not asking to flip off buildings like an Assassin Creed game (at least I dont feel most backers are....). Besides, didnt BDO add parkour to its environment post launch?
    KumaponAmatheScotjimmywolf
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited April 2019

Albatroes said:

Kumapon said:

That's the real issue with indie mmorpg development in general (aside from financial priority, but it closely ties together as well). When you're dealing with a corporate company, you're given X amount of funding and have to decide what makes it and what doesn't within a given time frame. Most of these teams seem to think they need to release a 'complete' mmorpg without realizing that EVERY mmorpg is released unfinished and relies on patches/expansions to fully flesh it out. People who backed this project just wanted something that stuck to the original ideology of mmorpgs in the past that involved a lot of time and team work to progress. We're not asking to flip off buildings like an Assassin Creed game (at least I dont feel most backers are....). Besides, didnt BDO add parkour to its environment post launch?

In Black Desert, you could climb over things and slide around at launch. is there a more in depth parkour system?

I don't really think "climbing" is going to break the bank on Pantheon.
    Also, while players might just want a game that sticks to old tenants, developers are also creatives and they want to make something that they "want to make."

It's very true that feature bloat can be the death of a game but I think they can add climbing and it will be fine.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    "expect an emphasis on social gameplay" ......oh boy....can't wait to see the 10 people left playing MMORPGs reactions to this...."uhh...I should be able to solo the whole game and then conquer the demon king in like a week....don't force me to group"
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Just be a prettier Vanguard with less bugs and better UI....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    rounnerperrin82kedo
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Interesting.  I wonder what prompted the following comment.

[quote]
    If it doesn’t feel a natural part of the game or doesn’t fit in with the world of Terminus, then we will shelve it. That’s a tough call to make, particularly for some systems or content that seem exciting on paper but just don’t feel right when implemented.
    [/quote]

I really hope they aren't hitting a roadblock with something.  They aren't attempting enough innovation with Pantheon for my tastes.  Having to cut back on the little they are doing would be very disappointing.  I applaud their sentiment, but let's see what actually makes the release and what doesn't.

Overall, I've been disappointed with the innovations planned for Pantheon, feeling the announced changes are only minor tweaks and semantic name changes rather than true innovations.  This entire announcement seems to be an attempt to put a 'positive spin' on something.  I hope I'm wrong.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Stalling with hope and words. Almost certain now that all of the older MMO crowdfunded guys are looking for a buyer like Ashes got with my.com.

If you look at Pantheon, CF, CU creators history they luv that company buyout so not expecting any of these games to come out until that happens.

Everyone start emailing Bandai Namco, Amazon, Perfect World maybe even Epic exclusive so we can see these games sometime before 2025. Guarantee if they get picked up all those games come out within a year...
    [Deleted User]
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

We HOPE.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2019
    DMKano said:
    Mendel said:
    Interesting.  I wonder what prompted the following comment.

[quote]
    If it doesn’t feel a natural part of the game or doesn’t fit in with the world of Terminus, then we will shelve it. That’s a tough call to make, particularly for some systems or content that seem exciting on paper but just don’t feel right when implemented.
    [/quote]

I really hope they aren't hitting a roadblock with something.  They aren't attempting enough innovation with Pantheon for my tastes.  Having to cut back on the little they are doing would be very disappointing.  I applaud their sentiment, but let's see what actually makes the release and what doesn't.

Overall, I've been disappointed with the innovations planned for Pantheon, feeling the announced changes are only minor tweaks and semantic name changes rather than true innovations.  This entire announcement seems to be an attempt to put a 'positive spin' on something.  I hope I'm wrong.

I think they are facing the reality of typical mmo development- features get cut due to many factors from - too time/resource intensive all the way to sounds good on paper but sucks in reality 
    The reality is every studio is burning down their available funding as more time passes, and except for perhaps Roberts Industries is a wall they all hurdle headlong towards.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    Depth of the systems is what i expect.Example i don't want a simple game of kill,get xp,get loot,in a group.I want REASON.
    As well don't be sending me in to dungeons 24/7 or instances,i EXPECT a mmo top be an open ended world.I also want it to play realistically,if i am standing watching a group,i should be able to heal those players if i want,i shouldn't have to be in the group.

I am just tired of single player game designs with a gimmick or two a few twists,if it still feels like a single player design with forced grouping ,it doesn't feel like a good game.

"Keep us intrigued or surprised"sure sounds great but i still need the GAME to be more than a WOW or EQ clone.Point being,it is great to often feel like it is a wondrous adventure but if every few steps i am shaking my head in disbelief it just turns me off.Example of game play....GREAT....awesome...hmmim going to eat some food >>>OOC only....DELETE .I can't stand seeing DUMB ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Depth of the systems is what i expect.Example i don't want a simple game of kill,get xp,get loot,in a group.I want REASON.
    As well don't be sending me in to dungeons 24/7 or instances,i EXPECT a mmo top be an open ended world.I also want it to play realistically,if i am standing watching a group,i should be able to heal those players if i want,i shouldn't have to be in the group.

I am just tired of single player game designs with a gimmick or two a few twists,if it still feels like a single player design with forced grouping ,it doesn't feel like a good game.

"Keep us intrigued or surprised"sure sounds great but i still need the GAME to be more than a WOW or EQ clone.Point being,it is great to often feel like it is a wondrous adventure but if every few steps i am shaking my head in disbelief it just turns me off.Example of game play....GREAT....awesome...hmmim going to eat some food >>>OOC only....DELETE .I can't stand seeing DUMB ideas.
    Exactly. Things like this, especially with a studio of its size and funding, need to just focus on getting the core game done first and into proper testing if things are 'ahead of schedule' instead of looking for more things to do/add. No one is telling them not to be 'creative,' just to get the core things done first and out, then you can add stuff like this down the line. Its all about priorities. Once this game is out into the world, then can start getting a broader range of funding which will contribute to more features etc.
    Kumapon
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Its as if you all actually think you know what your'e talking about. Speculations, assumptions, accusations, condemning, doom and gloom. That's all I get from these posts. Nothing positive at all you all sound like a bunch of bitter old jaded gamer's lol. Lighten up!!

I will be the one to wait and see and not judge before there is something to judge.
    [Deleted User]Pirraya
  • WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Am I the only one that hates the world name, Terminus? It just doesn't feel right for this game. I have been hoping they would choose to change it but I guess that isn't happening.
    AmatheKyleranMendelperrin82
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited April 2019

DMKano said:

At this point they should be focused on just trying to match the depth and quality of vanilla EQ1 systems. 

If Pantheon fails to even match vanilla EQ1 in depth of gameplay- it's all pointless as they wont stand a chance of surviving even 6 months.

That's not hard, since EQ Vanilla had basically no depth in gameplay. You people are almost as good at bamboozling us as these developers.

Wasn't this game supposedly due in 2017, then Late 2018? Now we're almost in the middle of 2019?

I wonder how many people backed this game because they though tit was due out in the not-distance future. Seems like these release dates and the "Pre-Alpha" hype is used to drum up excitement and raid people's wallets, even when they know these games are several years from release...

If they ever even get that far.

If all they wanted to do was match vanilla EQ, this would have launched in 2016 and they'd have just updated it through expansions, etc. as they went along. That's not a high bar to achieve, since EQ is a pretty simple game, mechanically, with very shallow gameplay. What complexity does exist in EQ came after years of updates. Up through Velious, Lol... Seriously... It was the early days, so we were okay with that... but expectations have changed, since then, even with EQ players (most of which will never go back to that, except on a temporary basis for a progression server).
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Samhael said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

We HOPE.

What we've seen, thus far, is not promising - IMO. Feels more like "Old EQ" than Vanguard, adn that's not a good thing; despite what a few ubers here would have you believe.
    TheocritusMendelVorthanion
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Darksworm said:

Samhael said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

We HOPE.

What we've seen, thus far, is not promising - IMO. Feels more like "Old EQ" than Vanguard, adn that's not a good thing; despite what a few ubers here would have you believe.
    Same...i have not seen anything in the youtube videos that makes me even want to look at it....It looks like extremely slow, boring combat which is a killer in 2019 for many of us.
    Mendel
    Darksworm said:

DMKano said:

At this point they should be focused on just trying to match the depth and quality of vanilla EQ1 systems. 

If Pantheon fails to even match vanilla EQ1 in depth of gameplay- it's all pointless as they wont stand a chance of surviving even 6 months.

Wasn't this game supposedly due in 2017, then Late 2018? Now we're almost in the middle of 2019?

not that I know of. It didn't make it's 2014 kickstarter. That was about it. I don't ever remember them saying it was going to release in x year.

But maybe it's somewhere? I've been a backer and a follower but haven't seen that. It was more like "it will be done when it's done."
    Kylerankedo

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Sovrath said:
    Darksworm said:

DMKano said:

not that I know of. It didn't make it's 2014 kickstarter. That was about it. I don't ever remember them saying it was going to release in x year.

But maybe it's somewhere? I've been a backer and a follower but haven't seen that. It was more like "it will be done when it's done."

Visionary Realms Aqcuires Seed Funding, Completes Prototype for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Posted date / 09.28.15

Visionary Realms aims to begin Pantheon’s alpha phase by the end of the year, ultimately targeting a 2017 release.

Link

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    Sovrath said:
    Darksworm said:

DMKano said:

Visionary Realms Aqcuires Seed Funding, Completes Prototype for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Posted date / 09.28.15

Visionary Realms aims to begin Pantheon’s alpha phase by the end of the year, ultimately targeting a 2017 release.

Link

lol, well then someone needs to change that little bit!

thanks for the link.

• mmosfetxmmosfetx Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I'll be first in line to buy, subscribe, and play this game when its released. I was burned by EQ Next long ago so backing a game is not my thing. I do however support the vision of this game. Thank you to those who work to make it possible.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    goboygo said:
    Its as if you all actually think you know what your'e talking about. Speculations, assumptions, accusations, condemning, doom and gloom. That's all I get from these posts. Nothing positive at all you all sound like a bunch of bitter old jaded gamer's lol. Lighten up!!

I will be the one to wait and see and not judge before there is something to judge.
    History has proven over and over that pessimism is the most logical state of mind in regards to MMORPG development.  From outright disasters to pie in the sky flops to never even releasing after 5 years of blathering hype.  I'll continue to be pessimistic about this industry's competence in developing let alone releasing a good MMORPG.
    KyleranMendel

Well if he wasn't living under a rock he would realize that we have a LOT to base our so called assumptions on.This is not some random guesswork,this is based on the Everquest series and the Vanguard series and noting if anything much changed between the two.

Aside from bugs,well even the EQ series was full of bugs,did anything change NOT MUCH at all,so it would be a pretty darn good educated assumption that we will get a VERY similar product.

It also leans more towards REALISTIC expectations that simply calling people pessimists.This can also be assumed based on the entire genre and that is a LOT of games to form a realistic opinion.

I also feel sorry for the person who thinks ANY negative criticism or assumptions means we feel hate or wish anything bad on Pantheon as that would be MILES from the truth.Myself and some others simply look at it realistically.Remember if your expectations are way too high,you will be let down,if you expect less then it is possible it will be a pleasant surprise.

OF COURSE the best opinion is based on the FINISHED product,well guess what,we are not the ones that put this product out to the public eye,you can't have your cake and eat it to,asking for free handouts and not expect some opinions.

Everything i just said is really just common sense nothing a rocket scientist needs to know.
    Mendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I can sum it up way easier ,we WANT Pantheon to be a great game,my opinion is it will be very similar to what we already have ,pretty simple.No need to start with pessimists and haters because people don't say what YOU want them to say.
    Mendel