Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher Netflix series will debut in late-2019

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,245

https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/17/witcher-netflix-launch-date/

The Witcher series on Netflix will air in late-2019.

Season One of The Witcher series will air on Netflix during the fourth quarter of 2019.

The series launch window was announced by chief content officer Ted Sarandso during Netflix’s latest call to investors.

Amathedelete5230ikcinlaserit

Comments

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,028
    Too bad it's been infested with political propaganda.
    CyberFrogAsm0deusQuicksandCaffynated

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,999
    edited April 2019
    Hi, it is me again, that nuisance who asks things like "Do you the OP like the Witcher Series" and "Are you looking forward to the TV series?" :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,245
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    Hi, it is me again, that nuisance who asks things like "Do you the OP like the Witcher Series" and "Are you looking forward to the TV series?" :)
    Hai Scot,

I'm looking forward for it. I think/hope "superman" will act great as Gerald.

And you?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,398
    Rhoklaw said:
    Don't really see that at all.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,156
    Even though it's posted in a totally wrong place, that's good news.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited April 2019
    Will it tell us the ending of the Witcher 5 video game, before it comes out?
    alkarionlog

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,167
    I would have liked to see Eva Green in it, but it still looks like it will be awesome.
    Asm0deus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Amathe said:
    I would have liked to see Eva Green in it, but it still looks like it will be awesome.
    I know this is not what you meant (and I agree she's a great actress), but: my God that woman's voice is sexy.

Also, she has the most hauntingly beautiful eyes and smile.  Emphasis on the haunting. :D
    AmatheSovrathIselin

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,207
    Hopefully Henry doesn't remain looking like Legolas. I love the guy, but.....
    SovrathAsm0deus
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,309
    Amathe said:
    I know this is not what you meant (and I agree she's a great actress), but: my God that woman's voice is sexy.

Also, she has the most hauntingly beautiful eyes and smile.  Emphasis on the haunting. :D
    Everything about Eva Green is sexy. Too bad her name always reminds me of Eva Braun which kind of spoils it for me :)
    MadFrenchieimmodium
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,028
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Don't really see that at all.
    Just give it a few episodes and I'm sure Lauren S. Hissrich will do to Netflix Witcher what Kathleen Kennedy did to Star Wars.
    Asm0deusCaffynated

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,939
    She had some nice scenes in the 300 sequel, that is Eva Green. 

i tried reading witcher books and witcher gamw but could never stick with me.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,167

Penny Dreadful. And a James Bond film.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Amathe said:

Penny Dreadful. And a James Bond film.
    Penny Dreadful was what made me an Eva fan....  Is it wrong to lust for a witch that makes Satan himself feel fear? :D
    Amathe

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I want to be hyped, but the choice of the actress Mimi Ndiweni as Fringilla gives me bad vibes.
    MadFrenchie
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,188
    Not sure how this is going to turn out, I have misgivings tbh...they seem to be letting the whole SJW thing interfere with the lore. 

It's starting to remind me of the Charmed reboot, which is frankly a simply awful show.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Not sure how this is going to turn out, I have misgivings tbh...they seem to be letting the whole SJW thing interfere with the lore. 

It's starting to remind me of the Charmed reboot, which is frankly a simply awful show.
    lol I have friends who like the charmed reboot so I guess to each his/her own. It's not like the original was amazing given how often they changed their own rules for their world.

I guess I don't find diversity to be very "SJW" but just being inclusive and letting other people join the party.

I also live in a very diverse area with people from all walks of life.

Additionally, having been involved with theater quite a bit, I'm used to having recasting of parts from people who normally would not be cast in that part and have found it really can work very well.

As far as I'm concerned, the only person who should be pissed/overjoyed is the original creator of the work. If he's fine with it then it's his vision.

I mean, I've written pieces for voice that I'd normally only have a man sing but when sang by a women it really brought a whole new slant that was very welcome.

I've thought about my current work and whether or not a theater company would swap out characters for another race and my final thought is as long as they do a good job I don't care.

Which gets back to my previous thought; the writer of this work is the one that should make the final decision. If he has no say he's a moron for writing away his rights and his input and he has no one to blame but himself.

Does it really matter if someone with a great tan plays a certain part? From where I sit I don't care.
    laserit
    edited April 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:

lol I have friends who like the charmed reboot so I guess to each his/her own. It's not like the original was amazing given how often they changed their own rules for their world.

I guess I don't find diversity to be very "SJW" but just being inclusive and letting other people join the party.

I also live in a very diverse area with people from all walks of life.

Additionally, having been involved with theater quite a bit, I'm used to having recasting of parts from people who normally would not be cast in that part and have found it really can work very well.

As far as I'm concerned, the only person who should be pissed/overjoyed is the original creator of the work. If he's fine with it then it's his vision.

I mean, I've written pieces for voice that I'd normally only have a man sing but when sang by a women it really brought a whole new slant that was very welcome.

I've thought about my current work and whether or not a theater company would swap out characters for another race and my final thought is as long as they do a good job I don't care.

Which gets back to my previous thought; the writer of this work is the one that should make the final decision. If he has no say he's a moron for writing away his rights and his input and he has no one to blame but himself.

Does it really matter if someone with a great tan plays a certain part? From where I sit I don't care.
    I feel they are trying to tick boxes over getting it right and being true to canon or lore, it's simple really. 

Take the Shannara tv show...it's awful if you go in expecting it to be anything like the books prepare for disappointment, it's more of a reboot of the entire book series tbh so some people will love it but many pre existing fans will hate it.

Same goes with the new Star Wars movie, I like them but I am not familiar with the lore as I have never really read the books yet there lot of Disney hate cause many fans feel they are messing it up.

I am all for diversity and inclusiveness as long as it not at the expense or exclusion of others simply due to backgrounds.

I have always been of the mind that if you use an IP then be faithful to the existing lore and canon otherwise why bother?

As an older white heterosexual male I can't help but feel some people are just trying too damn hard to be "open" or politically correct, non racist etc etc to the point that it's almost turning into self hate.

I mean I wonder if you would have typed the same if they rebooted blade and made him white or recast black panther with someone of asian descent.

Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,309
    Asm0deus said:

"SJW" is such a trendy social-mediaish way to describe what has always been and will always be the way with any narrative reflecting the social and political views of the authors.

I get that sometimes it's forced and that looks stupid but that is not a new thing and there have always been shitty story tellers as well as good ones.

I'll reserve judgement until I have seen the series. It could be good with a "moral of the story" light touch or it could be stupidly heavy-handed. We shall see.
    SovrathGdemamimkliniclaseritTorval
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    edited April 2019
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

"SJW" is such a trendy social-mediaish way to describe what has always been and will always be the way with any narrative reflecting the social and political views of the authors.

I get that sometimes it's forced and that looks stupid but that is not a new thing and there have always been shitty story tellers as well as good ones.

I'll reserve judgement until I have seen the series. It could be good with a "moral of the story" light touch or it could be stupidly heavy-handed. We shall see.
    Oh I hope I will like it, but just like alpha/early access games I have learned to temper my expectations until I can experience it for myself and actually get some hands on time.

As for SJW you are right that it a trendy term but that's the term people use now, contrary to what some may think, due to my previous posts, I am not against change, evolution or new ways of looking at thing....

....doesn't mean I will agree with all of it just to be cool with the in crowd or to follow the herd.

OH btw one of the casting issue I have is Henry Cavill, I am not convinced he will make a good "Geralt", I think he makes a really good superman though.  There are other actors which would have been better for the role IMO.

edited April 2019
    Asm0deus said:

As an older white hetero sexual male I can't help some people are just trying too damn hard to be "open" or non racist etc etc to the point that it's almost turning into self hate.
    Well, the world is large and I'm sure there are people who are just trying to be open to tick those boxes.

I just read an article where the show runner said that she takes off the front page of the scripts she reads from writers and just reads them. After that she puts those she likes in a pile and that's how she hires. So people from all backgrounds are working on the show and not picked just to be diverse.

I've heard of this being done in other  cases as well so it could be true. I mean, who knows, none of us are there.

Part of the problem is that people write from what they know. When I write it's all white people because I'm writing from a certain perspective as well as a time period in the US where it was a lot of white people. I'm not necessarily writing "white people" because they have to be white people. If someone from an Asian heritage plays the part I"m not bothered. I WOULD be bothered if I was dealing with specific race issues and someone changed a character around. Essentially I'm not against people with better tans playing those parts.

The same article also had this quote:

"Andrzej Sapkowski, told her (show runner) himself that recognizing the diversity in her show would be honoring his intentions as a writer. "

If that's how he feels then I'm good.

edited April 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:

As an older white hetero sexual male I can't help some people are just trying too damn hard to be "open" or non racist etc etc to the point that it's almost turning into self hate.
    Well, the world is large and I'm sure there are people who are just trying to be open to tick those boxes.

I just read an article where the show runner said that she takes off the front page of the scripts she reads from writers and just reads them. After that she puts those she likes in a pile and that's how she hires. So people from all backgrounds are working on the show and not picked just to be diverse.

I've heard of this being done in other  cases as well so it could be true. I mean, who knows, none of us are there.

Part of the problem is that people write from what they know. When I write it's all white people because I'm writing from a certain perspective as well as a time period in the US where it was a lot of white people. I'm not necessarily writing "white people" because they have to be white people. If someone from an Asian heritage plays the part I"m not bothered. I WOULD be bothered if I was dealing with specific race issues and someone changed a character around. Essentially I'm not against people with better tans playing those parts.

The same article also had this quote:

"Andrzej Sapkowski, told her (show runner) himself that recognizing the diversity in her show would be honoring his intentions as a writer. "

If that's how he feels then I'm good.

Dunno I read that the casting call went out in london looking specifically to fill the role of Ciri was a BAME casting call meaning looking for some minority that is specifically not white.

Also doesn't matter if Sapkowski says sure I am fine with it...doesn't mean lore nerds like myself have to like it.

Also I dunno why Mads Mikkelsen wasn't cast as Geralt he would have been prefect for the role.

Asm0deus said:

Also doesn't matter if Sapkowski says sure I am fine with it...doesn't mean lore nerds like myself have to like it.

Well, I'm surprised by the Geralt casting as well but I think he had initially expressed interest.

As far as "lore' that's a rather delicate word.

Like I said, when I write I'm usually writing "white people." but I'm not necessarily writing "these people have to be Caucasian."

If I write a horror story and everyone is white and then they cast it and they make everyone black or Asian  "whatever then that doesn't matter.

If I write and make someone Arab or Indian or Japanese then they have to be those races because I expressly made them that way. That doesn't mean that if someone changed it in a movie or or play I could be convinced.

Also, again, Does the author have to have white people or is he just writing from his perspective and they are white?

If he says they are white then they are white. If the doesn't then we are just assuming they are white because it's his perspective.
    edited April 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:

Well, I'm surprised by the Geralt casting as well but I think he had initially expressed interest.

As far as "lore' that's a rather delicate word.

Like I said, when I write I'm usually writing "white people." but I'm not necessarily writing "these people have to be Caucasian."

If I write a horror story and everyone is white and then they cast it and they make everyone black or Asian  "whatever then that doesn't matter.

If I write and make someone Arab or Indian or Japanese then they have to be those races because I expressly made them that way. That doesn't mean that if someone changed it in a movie or or play I could be convinced.

Also, again, Does the author have to have white people or is he just writing from his perspective and they are white?

If he says they are white then they are white. If the doesn't then we are just assuming they are white because it's his perspective.
    I don't believe that if you are white then you write white..that's just simplistic....I do believe some roles it doesn't really matter while other it does. 

I get what you are saying but admit what I am saying is true too.  If you are white and are writing a script about feudal japan I highly doubt you will think hey it doesn't matter if the caste is is mostly non Japanese.

Ciri is a princess of a white nation, period so IMO that like taking Black Panther who is a prince of black nation and making him white..she was written that way.  Also Ciri powers are specifically tied to her bloodline which is quite specific for reasons, wont say what due to spoilers though.

You are trying to make a case of it being people being prejudiced or unknowingly racist when it's not that.  When someone says no I don't like that casting it' not always because they are racists or are suffering from white privilege etc etc.

Sadly far too many people counter argue with that as their main argument.

Anyways I don't want to derail the thread and feel I made myself clear enough.

I am not convinced the show isn't going to be crapola for various reason, and yes some of them are because of casting choices and not just those like Ciri but geralt as well. 

Also not sure about Lauren S. Hissrich as producer/writer.

For myself I am going to watch the show with the attitude of it just very very loosely based on the books, and more of a reboot of the series and canon and it's ideas as I really don't feel the people making this show will be keeping any of that in mind regardless of what Lauren S. Hissrich has said previously as I don't think she is being totally straight with us.

Post edited by Asm0deus on

edited April 2019
    Asm0deus said:

I don't believe that if you are white then you write white..that's just simplistic....I do believe some roles it doesn't really matter while other it does. 

I get what you are saying but admit what I am saying is true too.  If you are white and are writing a script about feudal japan I highly doubt you will think hey it doesn't matter if the caste is is mostly non Japanese.

Ciri is a princess of a white nation, period so IMO that like taking Black Panther who is a prince of black nation and making him white..she was written that way.  Also Ciri powers are specifically tied to her bloodline which is quite specific for reasons, wont say what due to spoilers though.

You are trying to make a case of it being people being prejudiced or unknowingly racist when it's not that.  When someone says no I don't like that casting it' not always because they are racists or are suffering from white privilege etc etc.

Sadly far too many people counter argue with that as their main argument.

Anyways I don't want to derail the thread and feel I made myself clear enough.

I am not convinced the show isn't going to be crapola for various reason, and yes some of them are because of casting choices and not just those like Ciri but geralt as well. 

Also not sure about Lauren S. Hissrich as producer/writer.

For myself I am going to watch the show with the attitude of it just very very loosely based on the books, and more of a reboot of the series and canon and it's ideas as I really don't feel the people making this show will be keeping any of that in mind regardless of what Lauren S. Hissrich has said previously as I don't think she is being totally straight with us.

Well that's what I'm saying. If I'm writing about Feudal Japan then "I'm writing about Feudal Japan" and race would matter. I'm not going to write about Feudal Japan being entirely populated by the Spanish.

Also, I"m not saying that people are being racist. Racism is about hate. I am saying that people develop an expectation to a character based upon how that character is presented. Part of that is their race (though in my opinion there is only the human race, but "whatever") and when you change a character's race that changes the relationship, or better yet, how a person relates to that character and it's difficult for some people to accept that sort of "paradigm shift."

And I'm saying that when "I" write I initially write white people. Me. But I would think that people write from what they know so I would not find it surprising that a hispanic person would write about their own culture and the people they know. That the Author of The Witcher series is writing from eastern european culture which does have a lot of "white" people. But I don't think one's characters have to be any race unless of course race matters in the story.

If I write a murder mystery it could have everyone black or everyone white or everyone a nice coffee color.

But if I write a murder mystery "specifically" set in old Persia or South Africa, then that is going to take into account the people. If I write a fantasy story then quite frankly I don't care how tan or pale the people are. Or light green.

Of course, I tend to write about upper class City people in the early 20th century, in New York.

But if I was to write about Feudal Japan, or a story set in mexico I would have to do a ton of research in order to get it right.