Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MIDORA - "The Final Update: What really happened."

12346»

Comments

• demonkadardemonkadar Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Post edited by demonkadar on
    Tybost
  • StrikeCommandoStrikeCommando Member UncommonPosts: 16
    The wording on this is misleading "REFUNDS ARE LIVE" is not really the case.  The website for collecting the names of people who pledged and want a refund is live, but the actual date that any refunds will roll out is completely in the ether, and which refunds will come when is also undefined.  At this point the only progress made is a website that takes your email and converts it to "yes" or "no" on refunds and tells you how much you may get back potentially before you die.

I wouldn't go heralding this guy as a refund hero just yet.  He really should have organized this better by setting a cut-off date for refund requests, and then letting people know generally how much in refunds and how many people should expect them and what timeframe.  But knowing Mhyre we're getting radio silence from here on out and maybe you'll get a refund in a month or maybe in 10 years.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Such a shame. I don't support crowdfunding but i really was looking forward to playing this game. It reminded me of the game Dicing Knight for the Wonderswan.

I hope the devs find some other way to fund/make this game.

I just want to update that NOTHING has happened since the big promise of refunds and not a single refund has been given.  William "Mhyre" Ledant continues his pattern of lies and silence on his years-long fraud train.  Maybe you need to update this thread with the truth about how the refund smokescreen was total BS.
    Phaserlight
    I just want to update that William "Mhyre" Ledent attempted to disappear by deleting his Kickstarter account, and deleting or disabling access to his other social media accounts but he thinks people can't find his internet presence and comments were left on his new "super secret" Twitter account, then he blocked the users who commended and tried to persuade us to essentially keep it offline because he had some big new plan to get ANOTHER job that would totally pay for refunds.
    Meanwhile, in the time between the original refund promise and now, he continued to spend gobs of time and money on games, DLC, subscriptions and travelling to attend trade shows/cons but you know, he's totally broke and can't afford to pay back refunds to the 3300 people he defrauded out of $70,000...  But NOW, he's for real going to get a job to pay us all back, so let him have his new Twitter clean slate to job out his resume for his big new plan to pay us all back that he didn't bother to convey to any of us while he was living it up for the past 2 years.
    Dakeru

Then after I posted his please publicly to Kickstarter (which he apparently still secretly monitors) he sent me this message (with my reply below it):

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    DMKano said:
    Game development was always full of pitfalls. Kickstarter just makes it visible of how easy it is to run into development trouble. 

Failed game projects are more common than completed game projects, so none of this is surprising IMO.

Whenever a new game project starts - just remind yourself that failure of said game ever getting finished is the most likely outcome. 

Can't stress it enough. If you like the idea of a project and can afford to lose the money then it's up to you. The right project and the right devs with proper backing could mean the difference between getting something you like vs getting more regurgitated Chinese remixes.
    jimmywolfalkarionlog
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Man, who's the paleontologist that keeps digging these old things up.
    Tilleralkarionlog
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Looked like a crap game anyways. No idea why people help fund anything through kickstarter.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Tiller said:
    Looked like a crap game anyways. No idea why people help fund anything through kickstarter.
    Just a hope that something decent comes out of it.

Some kickstarter games are pretty great. I loved Shovel Knight and Banner Saga.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2019
    Tiller said:
    Just a hope that something decent comes out of it.

Some kickstarter games are pretty great. I loved Shovel Knight and Banner Saga.
    Ok I'll give you that, and I've known of a few others as well, but I'm too afraid to take that chance myself on the hope that an awesome game will come out of crowd funding.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Man, who's the paleontologist that keeps digging these old things up.
    Did you even bother to read the bump?
    He gave an update that the promised refunds from 2 years ago were never given and the guy is happily spending the KS money on personal stuff.
    Phaserlightalkarionlog
    Harbinger of Fools
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited April 2019

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I'm pretty sure since this is from 2015...there isn't gonna be any refunds

The exact reason why this thread was bumped is because in 2017 the developer announced that he was now sending out refunds.
    The bump states again that this was a lie.

So yes this is a scam and a good example of why no one should ever invest into KS.
    alkarionlog
    Harbinger of Fools
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    i think the biggest issues is not the scams, failures or myriad of other thing that may see you get nothing.  

it that KS get their money paid day 1 scam or not. so while we wait 2 months to 6+ years for a chance to get a product or find out it was a scam, they couldn't care less their still making money, still letting these things go on and still getting paid. 

what should happen is for every failed KS that does not meet delivery date regardless of reason they need to refund what projects can't/won't  cover in full refunds. i guarantee  their never be a scam again or failed KS after and even if their was no one would care you would always get your money back. we should not be floating all the risk while the site get paid for are trust been abused.
    DakeruBaalzharonGdemami

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    games failing have nothing to do here,

here what we get is a guy who is not backing his word and is trying to hide from others, trying to hide he is not trustworthy, that is shady behavior, if the problem was only the game failed and i'm trying to rebuild you wouldn't hide it, he is trying to hide his past to con more people, that what cons do, hide his past to pull more people in

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I dunno. To me it looks like the game failed, and then later he bought games and personal stuff which seems to be an issue brought up. Which when bioware gets closed down eventually...the devs and CEO of bioware are still gonna...buy games and personal stuff. While also not paying back EA for the money EA has given them over the years.

The only shady thing I see is he is trying to hide the fact his game failed by trying to silence anything about it. Which in a way is understandable, no one wants a failed major project to be on their resume. But I think if he was honest and open about it, it would actually look better on him that he admits his game failed.
    not the same, they didn't asked for money upfont before making a game, and they wouldn't offer a refund for the crap games they made, the issue here is the dude did thy to hide and live, with possible was the money from the kickstart, then when he was found out, he tried to con him on letting him go so he can pay back, yeah 2 years and he didn't pay back will do so now, nope no one is that idiot, better mark him for his past and let him suffer as the lieing bastard he is

there is also the issue of someone else offered to finish the game and he refused, even if the offer was he would get nothing only his name, he could prevent the whole lack of trust and put the finished project on his belt

nothing he did was understandable, he though it would be a easy money and failed, and then tried to flee, yeah cons when fail, they tend to do that
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited May 2019
    There's also the fact being ignored here about the blatant fraud, where in online interviews with gaming news sites, Will Ledent openly admitted he know there was no way that the amount he asked for on Kickstarter would even cover half of the costs of developing the game.  He admitted to taking peoples' money with no plan of being able to complete what he promised.  He also admitted to spending our money on rent and food and personal stuff right there on Kickstarter.  REALLY.

Then when asked to provide proof that ANY of OUR money went towards development, he tried to play victim and just attacked his backers claiming a "toxic" environment.  To this day, he's provided zero proof that any of the $70,000+ taken from 3300 people was spent on the game at all.  After being pressed extremely hard, he provided a 30 second build that consisted of only exactly what was shown in the trailer, proving only that NO PROGRESS was made in developing a playable game at all, beyond making something that was used to con people into giving money.  You also have to make note that this is the SAME kickstarter that was pegged early on for stealing assets from Zelda: Minish Cap.

This isn't a case of putting all $70,000 to hard work and dedication and simply not being able to complete the task, and at least giving players a partially broken build to prove it was worked on.  Hell, multiple backers even went to the lengths of offering to help develop the game free of charge, to which he refused.  He also refused a developer who made the same offer, and that developer made the conversation public.  

He also promised refunds once he got a job 2 years ago.  He must have had some kind of job to fund his gaming habits and travel to conventions....money that SHOULD have gone to refunds, even if just to some people.  He's hiding behind the same lame excuses for years now, and the more he tries to hide online, the more I want to expose him.  There was a time when - if he just refunded me $10 - I might have let up.  But that time has passed and now it's just a personal vendetta until I see this clown pay somehow...preferably in a court of law or by some other legal authorities.

Bottom line is beyond all the transparent smoke, and broken mirrors, William never had any plans to follow through with anything at all and STOLE money from 3300 people through a form of international wire fraud, and has had no real repercussions aside from a few diligent folks like me who refuse to let it slide.  Yeah, it was only $10 for me, but it was stolen through fraud and the fraud himself is still out there lying and covering up and pretending like this was all just bad luck on him.  It never was.  What it always was, is fraud.
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    A new Kickstarter post appeared 2 months ago (5 years since the last one) titled "The Final Update: What really happened" https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epicmindsinc/midora-0/posts/3623076

I was debating whether or not to update after so much time has passed, but decided to do so anyway to finalize the thread / events surrounding Midora.
    ScotGreatnesscheyane
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    That's a crazy wrapper to the story.

Tybost

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My god what a  story. Feel awful for her.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    They say never work with relatives and friends; indeed, some say don't go on holiday with them. The story does give a nod to the first part anyway.