Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Ever Happened To The F2P Cash Shop?

Comments

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Interesting poll, but...it really doesn't say anything we didn't already know.  When people used to say whales carried a game, it doesn't mean whales were the only ones spending.  It meant that the average player was maybe spending 30 dollars a month, but whales were spending 1,000 to 60,000 a month (this is my definition based on leaks from some games)

So while developers loved anybody spending, one whale being worth 100s, or even 1000s of average customers gets their attention...

I'm curious if the new ultra successful F2P games carry or buck that trend.  Is the billion dollars that  Fortnite made contributed more by the average player, or the whales?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    Where did you take that number from? Wow's peak was near 12m.
    ...that is a cumulative number of a span over merely a decade of WOW's existence.

Utterly useless number...
    [Deleted User]
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Nyctelios said:
    I bought some tabs and cosmetics on PoE because their shop did not invade my gameplay in any way (at least I didn't felt it) while I had so much time having fun in the game. 

And that's pretty much it. Not a single other F2P got me thinking "I'll give you guys some money". Not because they do not exists, but because PoE was the only one really.

I would mentioning that Warframe also deserves apreciation. 
    You do not purchase something from someone just because you "appreciate" them. Gaming companies are not charities. You purchase something from someone because they sell a good and reliable product that you need (or perhaps want). Treating any purchased items as a charitable gift is the wrong sort of thinking. Besides, cash shops are not meant to be charitable. They are meant to take your money.

GdemamiKylerananemoMendel

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I too remember when F2P came on the scene, and we all thought is was a gimmick. Just some passing fad.

Took our eyes off the ball on that one. 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nyctelios said:
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    there was no monetization "hill" gamers weren't willing to climb

...apparently there is a hill players weren't willing to climb - subscriptions.

Which is completely laugh out loud-able since World of Warcraft has had over 100 million players.
    https://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/5354856/world-of-warcraft-100m-accounts-lifetime

Scot

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Gamers nowadays are like a herd, it just takes a bunch of them to panic and the whole community goes berserk. Keep calm, keep your money and change the future, it's really not that hard.
    Scot
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    Gdemami said:
    Nyctelios said:
    ...that is a cumulative number of a span over merely a decade of WOW's existence.

So true. Its almost as useless as the "hours played this expansion" that they were trying to throw around in Legion. Pointless time gates and grinds (just to reach a time gate) will inflate that number blizz....I mean they were so desperate in bfa that they cut the rep awarded via world quests in half from legion to bfa, but of course the blizzard shills come out of the wood work "This is a different expansion so things will be different obviously!" And dont even get me started on these laughable emissary rewards compared to Legion....
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All online games, whether F2P, sub only or both, have design elements that have nothing to do with gaming quality. Their raison d'etre is to keep you playing and paying as long as possible.

The only real difference between them is how they go about trying to manipulate you into paying more. Getting you to grind toward some desirable goal is the common device they all use. They just monetize it differently by either keeping you motivated to hang around (sub) or selling you shortcuts.

I do prefer sub only online games - yeah I know, they're a dying breed - because of their spending cap (the sub) that serves to keep the competitive playing field (whatever that competition means to you be it PvP, looking the best or whatever) relatively even and you have to actually play the game to achieve whatever your goal is.

Cash shop convenience undermines the game play and that has always been and continues to be my objection to it. It tilts the playing field in favor of wallet warriors by providing them with shortcuts they can purchase. This also serves to IMO, cheapen the achievement.

"Well what about the sub games tilting the playing field in favor of no lifers?" So goes the counterargument. Well I personally see nothing wrong with people having the dedication and know how to play the game more and better than me even if they do it to obsessive levels. It's totally predictable within the the definition of "game" that some will.

Take Chess Grand Masters for example. They tend to be a quirky and obsessive bunch. But weird as those chess no-lifers may seem to me, I still have something in common with them in that I play the same game of chess on the same board so I have an appreciation for what they accomplish. I play chess too. I just don't do it 24/7 like they do.

But if you applied the same video game studio mentality to chess you'd end up with something ridiculous like buying extra queens or rezzing pawns... 

That's what's wrong with F2P cash shops whether outrageously or just mildly P2W. They are a fucking joke that undermines the games just to make a buck.

Thank god we still have some single player offline games.
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Gdemami said:
    Nyctelios said:

Right because 100 million people willing to pay subscriptions doesn't just debunk your point about subscriptions it annihilates it.
    Gdemami

I mean you can go on about how players are not willing to climb the subscription hill in your fantasy world. In reallity the entire MMORPG genre maintained itself on subscriptions and box sales from Ultima Online and the decade following it's release. Where not only did the MMORPG genre survive but thrived with games like WoW. Completely on subscriptions and box sales and expansions.

What's utterly useless here is your retarded fantasy that players were not willing to climb that subscription hill, when we have mountains of evidence otherwise.
    KyleranGdemamiAlBQuirkyScot

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Amathe said:
    I too remember when F2P came on the scene, and we all thought is was a gimmick. Just some passing fad.

Took our eyes off the ball on that one. 
    I dunno if we ALL thought it was a gimmick.. some of us must have loved it for it to stay around.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2019
    Whatever happened to Fay Wray?
    That delicate satin draped frame
    As it clung to her thigh, how I started to cry
    'Cause I wanted to be dressed just the same
    Give yourself over to absolute purchase
    Swim the warm waters of cash shop offers
    Cash shop purchases beyond any measure
    Pixel daydreams to treasure forever
    Can't you just see it. Whoa ho ho!
    Don't dream it, just buy it
    Don't dream it, just buy it

(with apologies to Richard O'Brien, Rocky Horror Picture Shop)
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Scot
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:
    I have seen a few threads recently, talking about the huge amounts being spent and the play to win aspect of MMOs. The baulk of cash shop games are like this, but I am sure our old timers can remember what used to be said about F2P games, indeed we still get this today:

"F2P means you play for free, not like subscription!"

"With subscription you are paying even when you don't go online!"

"Subscription is unfair anyway as players who put more time in get all the rewards!"

"It is only a tiny percentage of whales who pay the vast majority pay nothing!"

...and here we are today, I had better laugh or I would cry. :)

Now we have cash shops where you pay every which way; from the pre-order/kickstarter through AAA released-to-soon/early access and ending in the gold club/season pass 'blah blah' lets have some more money. And lets face it, this is not new, I am just pointing out how much worse this situation is than five years ago. 'F2P' MMOs are a never ending stream of innovative ideas to give you reasons to buy more and more...and more.

Free to Play games are so venal they make a mockery of the name, sure if you want to grind your life away you can accomplish something but never as much as someone paying even a modest amount. Compared to subscriptions they create an unfair playing field, distort gameplay and if you are the sort of person who pays more than £10 a month in a F2P game you are certainly paying more.

Also we are told the proportion who pay is tiny, so you can under stand my puzzlement that we get so many comments about bad cash shops in F2P games and what people have paid. I have even done so myself a couple of times, anyone can get suckered in. So I recon one or maybe a few payments are far more common than players think, hence the poll. Lets see how many minnows are swimming with the whales.

Fortnite makes 3 billions per year, LoL about a billion. So F2P works, and both games are not P2W. Obviously it is possible, if you have a good game to sell, people will pay. I think the problem of the MMORPGs is the quality of gameplay - if the best they could offer is grind for grind, well they cannot be F2P. It is ridiculous, but the players may pay for crap, but they will not play crap for free.
    Most people here wouldn't see it like that because they are the audience.  Trying to get the average gamer to play MMORPG used to be like pulling teeth. That's one reason the genre never grew as it could have been. 

WoW was a huge step in playability but the money monster locked us in and never really expanded much beyond that.  

[Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Erevus said:
    Gamers nowadays are like a herd, it just takes a bunch of them to panic and the whole community goes berserk. Keep calm, keep your money and change the future, it's really not that hard.
    That's the trouble. That "herd" doesn't care that I neither spend nor play the games. Nor do the publishers as they purchase their third yacht. I've been waiting (nothing else I can do) for the genre to get at least similar to what I enjoyed when I first came to it.

I, and anyone else, have zero control. If players enjoy what MMOs are today, they're in luck. If not, too bad, so sad. Single player games do just fine for me :)
    IselinScot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    The reason why F2P became so large is generational.  When Millennials started to become the core gaming audience developers adjusted their models to reflect what Millennials would like.  Think about some of the stereotypical similarities.

1.  Wanting something for free. F2P
    2.  Why play/work at the game, I should be able to just get things.  B2W/Cash shops
    3.  I should get a trophy just for booting up my computer.  Constant in-game rewards, sometimes just for logging in.

The point being game companies just catered to their audience and took them to the bank at the same time.  If Gen-X was still the core gamers they would have still taken us to the bank with the subscription model by raising the prices.  We paid 15 dollars a month 15 years ago, that price point would probably be something like 35 dollars a month today if that model was still in place.

And to be honest, I would pay 35 dollars a month for a great quality MMORPG with no FTP or cash shop in the game.  I wouldn't blink an eye at that.. from my perspective it's a great deal.  

The real question is, with Gen Z coming into the core gamer audience.. how will the model change to cater to them?
    AlBQuirkyGdemamiScot
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited April 2019
    There I was when the first F2P hit the western market and Im going how stupid does someone have to be to think F2P games are going to be good in the long term.  And there is the wave of short sighted penniless gamers arguing with me about how great it was.  And some writer on this very site, don't remember who he was, telling everyone F2P games were the future of gaming and the western market was behind the times. everyone wins he says.  

Then later when they realized they do have to spend some money to have any chance at having a normal playing experience, the argument was, but I only spend money when I need it, Im in control.  Okay buddy whatever you say.

Then the same group realizes they are spending WAY more then they ever would have on a sub game that gave you everything, and they still don't have anything close to everything on the "one" character they can afford to spend money on.

And now guess what, I don't hear them defending F2P games anymore.
    AlBQuirkyGdemamiScot
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    goboygo said:
    There I was when the first F2P hit the western market and Im going how stupid does someone have to be to think F2P games are going to be good in the long term.  And there is the wave of short sighted penniless gamers arguing with me about how great it was.  And some writer on this very site, don't remember who he was, telling everyone F2P games were the future of gaming and the western market was behind the times. everyone wins he says.  

Then later when they realized they do have to spend some money to have any chance at having a normal playing experience, the argument was, but I only spend money when I need it, Im in control.  Okay buddy whatever you say.

Then the same group realizes they are spending WAY more then they ever would have on a sub game that gave you everything, and they still don't have anything close to everything on the "one" character they can afford to spend money on.

I hate to say it.. but when I was playing GW2, I used to get a bit of a joy hearing people cry about the price of things in the cash shop, when, spending a pitiful $20 a paycheck I never had an issue buying what I wanted.

In the endm, if I am having fun playing a game, I want to spend money on it to support it, and a cash shop is a neat way for me to do just that, without feeling obligated to pay a sub. If one month, I am off contract, and need to live on the savings, ok.. I don't spend.. next month, I am back on contract, and I might splurge and spend a c-note, in many ways I am in complete control.

If I don't like the game, for whatever reasons, I don't spend money on it.. I also stop playing it and try to find a game I will enjoy.. and F2P, well.. allows me to play a game for a bit and make that decision, sometimes, I might make an account, make a character, log in .. and get distracted by something else.. like a Walking Dead marathon leading up to Spoiler, which kills ALL my free time, and not go back to the game for a month, so a "free trial" does not work for someone like me.

In the end.. whoever said F2P was the future of games.. they were in fact right.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Blanket payment model isn’t to blame - it’s on the publisher/developer to implement that in a fair and responsible manner.

Ive seen (and paid for) great games on subscriptions, and horrible games subscriptions.

Ive seen (and paid for) great games on F2P, and horrible games on F2P.

same thing for B2P... and I am willing to bet the same thing will happen whenever the next big payment model rolls out too.

what it really boils down to is if you like the game and you feel you are getting worth from it - rather that involves monetary payment or not, it still involves time and effort and those are currencies as well.
    gervaise1Mendel
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Subs are a hard proposition.  180 a year is expensive. Not counting box and expansion price.  The content of being most heroic task master doesn't sound appealing or a good deal. 
    This was my point too...I wouldn't spend $180 in the cash shop....Also when I paid a sub I felt obligated to play, not play when I felt like it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited April 2019
    Ungood said:
    goboygo said:

I hate to say it.. but when I was playing GW2, I used to get a bit of a joy hearing people cry about the price of things in the cash shop, when, spending a pitiful $20 a paycheck I never had an issue buying what I wanted.

In the endm, if I am having fun playing a game, I want to spend money on it to support it, and a cash shop is a neat way for me to do just that, without feeling obligated to pay a sub. If one month, I am off contract, and need to live on the savings, ok.. I don't spend.. next month, I am back on contract, and I might splurge and spend a c-note, in many ways I am in complete control.

If I don't like the game, for whatever reasons, I don't spend money on it.. I also stop playing it and try to find a game I will enjoy.. and F2P, well.. allows me to play a game for a bit and make that decision, sometimes, I might make an account, make a character, log in .. and get distracted by something else.. like a Walking Dead marathon leading up to Spoiler, which kills ALL my free time, and not go back to the game for a month, so a "free trial" does not work for someone like me.

In the end.. whoever said F2P was the future of games.. they were in fact right.
    I doubt anyone back then envisioned "FTP" games generating $3B a year....

Someone is spending big money on silly stuff....just not me

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    I bought Atlas 30 bucks,no cash shop no sub fee no cost,i just play as i feel.

The way to go with game design to give us great mmorpgs would be a similar design,survival+rpg+private servers+modding.

Most devs don't like private servers or modding because they want to ABUSE those ideas to profit even more.Some would say THEIR game,they can choose to profit anyway they feel,except one problem,running a business takes two to tangle a seller and A BUYER.

If all you want to do is abuse your customers ,you deserve to lose your business.

I was eating,then i was tired so i left a video describing what happened to RIFT and the author sure painted a VERY accurate picture.We often forget the board of trustees,investors getting their dirty hands on these games and ruining them for GREED of money.

I can even look at Blizzard,i never liked their games but at least i had respect for their business,they never did anything i didn't like.Then all of a sudden i noticed this change in Blizzard,a very heavy push towards GREED and cash shop gaming.I never thought much about it then realized>>>Activision.Once you add another piece to the puzzle greed becomes even bigger,too many hands want to get rich.

So on the same topic and using Blizzard as an example,who's idea was it to turn D4 into a cash shop mobile game Blizz or Activision or outside investors?I am saying this because we know full well they are aiming at mobile because they see an EASIER cheaper avenue to big profits,there is NO SUCH thing as f2p mobile gaming.

Point being,there are a LOT of influences that have turned games south.Tons of people want in on the market but need outside help to do it,so in comes big investors and BAM..gaming ruined.So far it seems t obe working for the developers,it is NOT working for us the gamer's but seems a lot of people are supporting these really bad games and spending enormous amounts of money in the cash shops.

Scot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    edited April 2019
    Interesting poll, but...it really doesn't say anything we didn't already know.  When people used to say whales carried a game, it doesn't mean whales were the only ones spending.  It meant that the average player was maybe spending 30 dollars a month, but whales were spending 1,000 to 60,000 a month (this is my definition based on leaks from some games)

So while developers loved anybody spending, one whale being worth 100s, or even 1000s of average customers gets their attention...

I'm curious if the new ultra successful F2P games carry or buck that trend.  Is the billion dollars that  Fortnite made contributed more by the average player, or the whales?
    My impression has always been that supposedly whales pay for f2P games and no one else does. I get that from posters and articles which only ever talk about the 2% of whales. As a proportion of money spent 'minnows' are small, as a proportion of players paying minnows are large.

So I think the small amounts many give is underappreciated and reveals the lie to the idea that the baulk play F2P for "free". Currently we are at 91% have payed in the past.
    Gdemami
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Scot said:

My impression has always been that supposedly whales pay for f2P games and no one else does. I get that from posters and articles which only ever talk about the 2% of whales. As a proportion of money spent 'minnows' are small, as a proportion of players paying minnows are large.

So I think the small amounts many give is underappreciated and reveals the lie to the idea that the baulk play F2P for "free". Currently we are at 91% have payed in the past.
    This is a poll for pokemon go.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16451112

I think you are overthinking.  There may be people in those 91% who spend very little, or dont' spend money on most games.

Also most people quit games very quick.  So understandably why a specific game would say 90%+ of players never spend any money.  Because they quit the game before going far.
    Gdemami
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Let's repeat it again. F2P is much more than a monetization model, it changes the entire game from core to detail (and not for the better).
    The sooner f2p dies, the sooner you can get good games again.
    GdemamiScot
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    kjempff said:
    Let's repeat it again. F2P is much more than a monetization model, it changes the entire game from core to detail (and not for the better).
    The sooner f2p dies, the sooner you can get good games again.
    It won't die too profitable to die because people keep buying after claiming they don't. 
    AlBQuirkyKyleranScot
    Chamber of Chains