Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full fledged City of Heroes "secret" server finally confirmed after 6+ years

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
edited April 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
UPDATE: There's a possible update to this whole story, the person with the code is/has had discussions as of yesterday about releasing the code for the public to use.
--------------------
There's been rumors since the game shut down that there's a secret server around people are playing, that is exactly like the original game, with our old accounts and everything.

Well due to recent leaks this has been confirmed by one of the representatives of the server.

If you'd like to read more check out the article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/?fbclid=IwAR2Mo1TEAUXcXOfqMeMdBNZe1l4Y0vJ2Xawe8fbCZL4hkyoLHBvH_WBbYtY

Wondering what everybody's thoughts are on this? Being a long time CoH player, and it being one of my first real MMOs it does bother me that people have been playing a full fledged server that was kept secret for 6 years. At the same time I understand that if it was open publicly there's a very good chance it gets shut down by NCSoft's legal team.  :(
When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
Post edited by OhhPaigey on
Kumapon[Deleted User]Phrygervaise1wingoodPhaserlightpsychosiz1Ghavrigg

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited April 2019
    Naw don't care anymore. Like with SWG it's dead and gone for me anyways. I do hope someone makes a new CoH/CoV, or better yet new SWG, but that will never happen.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    OhhPaigeyAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Ghavrigg
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    edited April 2019
    OhhPaigey said:
    There's been rumors since the game shut down that there's a secret server around people are playing, that is exactly like the original game, with our old accounts and everything.

Well due to recent leaks this has been confirmed by one of the representatives of the server.

If you'd like to read more check out the article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/?fbclid=IwAR2Mo1TEAUXcXOfqMeMdBNZe1l4Y0vJ2Xawe8fbCZL4hkyoLHBvH_WBbYtY

Wondering what everybody's thoughts are on this? Being a long time CoH player, and it being one of my first real MMOs it does bother me that people have been playing a full fledged server that was kept secret for 6 years. At the same time I understand that if it was open publicly there's a very good chance it gets shut down by NCSoft's legal team.  :(
    Kinda shows exactly why it was kept secret...people like this idjit that acts like he was doing something for others by spilling the beans.

Now they have to close and move everything around, so he screws over everyone that was being given a chance to play. Surprised it took this long to be outed really...lot of trolls on-line take great pleasure in messing with others and acting all high and mighty, when they are really the lowest form of life there is.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Security by obscurity only works for so long.  All it takes is one blowhard asshat to spill all the beans.   

Personally it made me smile that there were at least some folks enjoying the game after NCSoft's BS.  They've never gotten a single penny from me since then.  
    OhhPaigeyRexKushmanrojoArcueidPhryBlaze_Rockerwingood

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    It's the Fight Club of MMOs!

"You will not talk about Fight Club..."

The article hit the nail on the head relaying some Facebook posts about "the CoH community" NOT being as tight as many thought.

The whistle blowing YouTuber also was right in that playing the game and NOT talking about it was "not fun", which I would agree with.

I'm glad I missed this whole thing. I guess the general playerbase was not what I thought it was, though my circle of in-game friends still have me smiling :)
    centkinAzaron_Nightblade

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited April 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    It's the Fight Club of MMOs!

"You will not talk about Fight Club..."

The article hit the nail on the head relaying some Facebook posts about "the CoH community" NOT being as tight as many thought.

The whistle blowing YouTuber also was right in that playing the game and NOT talking about it was "not fun", which I would agree with.

I'm glad I missed this whole thing. I guess the general playerbase was not what I thought it was, though my circle of in-game friends still have me smiling :)
    I can see both sides. At the same time as much as I would have wanted to play, closer to when it shut down. Clearly most of us have moved on, even if it was open publicly I don't think I'd be logging in, I'm too busy with RL and bored of games.

Wouldn't it be something to go completely undiscovered publicly for however many years and the day the server shuts down we find out about it, instead of, well.. this lol.
    AlBQuirkyScotPhrywingood
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    umm, there are a few SWG server about still running but u will need to load the game from your old cdes to play then patch.
    Phry
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    I'm quite pleased the deceit and denial many were subjected to so a select few could enjoy their private playground will perhaps cease now that this exposure finally compelled the server out of the shadows if only for a moment.

Several that have claimed the existence of this server were subjected to ridicule, insults, character assassination and more in for years in an effort to maintain this haven of exclusion have now been vindicated by the admission this leak led to.

In my view that was benefit enough, as I expect nothing from those that run this privileged access server for years other than to slink into hiding under another rock with the hope they can still retain their selfish enjoyment.
    GdemamiManWithNoTan
    WarWitch said:
    umm, there are a few SWG server about still running but u will need to load the game from your old cdes to play then patch.
    Yeah we all know about the emus, but those are as fun as a trip to a neat museum, and maybe only once. Calling it a suitable replacement to what once existed is like saying "bro I got a pinball machine in my garage, it's like having a full on arcade"
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Rhoklaw said:
    Tiller said:
    WarWitch said:
    Yeah we all know about the emus, but those are as fun as a trip to a neat museum, and maybe only once. Calling it a suitable replacement to what once existed is like saying "bro I got a pinball machine in my garage, it's like having a full on arcade"
    I still play P99 and SWG. Nothing wrong with either one of them. I guess when outdated games are more fun and engaging then the new F2P cash cows we've been getting, to each their own.
    Nothing wrong with old games, I play many myself.  I'm just not into non-officially supported MMO games due to how some folks decide to run their servers. Personal choice.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    only problem i have  with  private is abuse or trying to profit from copyright work.
    If simply giving players who bought the game a choice,then all is good.
    OhhPaigey

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    it almost feels like that guy wanted some instant gratification or something by exposing the server. Now only a matter of time NC will close it down. All because of one dude trying to get internet fame.
    ManWithNoTan

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    They didn't give an address ☹️
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    For all we know, this may be the only working copy of CoH left.  NCSoft doesn't inspire me with confidence that they archived this stuff that they didn't understand on so many levels.  

And if we'd all been able to play it openly, NCSoft would have shut it down.  Not a lot of viable choices there.   

Maybe they should package it up now, and let it loose on the web.  Create a whack a mole issue for the corporate lawyers.
    Gdemami

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    it almost feels like that guy wanted some instant gratification or something by exposing the server. Now only a matter of time NC will close it down. All because of one dude trying to get internet fame.
    Yep the little prick is nothing but a dirty filthy grass. He got a chance to play on this clandestine server and in return he stabbed the entire community in the back. The minute they buried the Kray twins I knew all this would start.
    Well, he stabbed the privileged few that got to swim in that pool in the back. The vast majority of the unwashed masses already had a knife in place from when those in the know continued to say it was impossible while all the time swimming laps.
    GdemamiManWithNoTan
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    The Tabula Rasa one they went after them with a C&D so it's understandable they would want to keep this a secret but DAMNIT I want to play it.
    Blaze_Rocker
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    All this shows to me is that a server could have been kept open, run by fans but that would set a precedent that Gaming companies do not want to allow.
    gunklackerKyleranAlBQuirkyGdemamiBlaze_Rocker[Deleted User]GladDogStrizzy12
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    For me personally - grey shards are never the answer, because a server is not what makes these old games special.

It was the players - and you never get that back.

Also anything that involves more than 2 people likely won't stay secret for long - a MMO server.... hehehehe no chance in hell 
    Sadly agree, there was another game that was shut down too early and imo for not enough of a good reason, called Earth and Beyond, it was eventually running again as a private server, while it was fun to play again, it had lost the 'magic' that existed when it had more of a gaming community, nostalgia sadly only goes so far. I still think shutting down COH/COV was perhaps one of the worst mistakes they could have made, the profits may have been low, but the good will that they would have retained even if the game was just running in maintenance mode would have been useful.  :/
    GdemamiBlaze_RockerJimWraith
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Judas thought he was doing the right thing too, but things didn't go quite as he expected.

;)
    AlmostLancelotOhhPaigeyrojoArcueidManWithNoTan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Judas thought he was doing the right thing too, but things didn't go quite as he expected.

;)
    In all fairness, that amazing CoX community turned out to be an inclusive circle jerk, ridiculing those who mentioned them and removing those who didn’t fit in. I would be upset, but not at the guy outing them..

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFordcheyaneAlBQuirkyGdemamiMadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Security by obscurity only works for so long.  All it takes is one blowhard asshat to spill all the beans.   

Personally it made me smile that there were at least some folks enjoying the game after NCSoft's BS.  They've never gotten a single penny from me since then.  
    Really I would go back to NCSoft run COH/COV servers the instant they open them again. Many of us would after claiming we won't. Funcom proved it and Daybreak too.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2019
    cheyane said:

Really I would go back to NCSoft run COH/COV servers the instant they open them again. Many of us would after claiming we won't. Funcom proved it and Daybreak too.

Would you really trust NCSoft with your money again?

Not sure I would, sort of done with them after several disappointments. 
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited April 2019
    lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    In all fairness, that amazing CoX community turned out to be an inclusive circle jerk, ridiculing those who mentioned them and removing those who didn’t fit in. I would be upset, but not at the guy outing them..

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah... you're unfortunately right. People are jerks though, that part doesn't really surprise me.

What shocks me most is how long this server has been up with very little getting out about it. I guess on the other hand when you have mods who can censor anything said about it in those small communities/forums it's a bit less of a feat. But still, quite impressive. Makes me wonder what else is out there..
    KyleranMadFrenchieLokeroAlBQuirky
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm just trying to imagine, say, Quake or Unreal Tournament fans having to hide everything like this just to continue playing that game on servers they maintain themselves.

The differences between the two games, in the context of allowing folks to spin up their own servers after support for the game has discontinued, is pretty fucking thin.
    ManWithNoTan