Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Onslaught Expansion Set to Launch in September - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic - Onslaught Expansion Set to Launch in September - MMORPG.com

During last night's Chicago Cantina presentation, Star Wars: The Old Republic devs announced "Onslaught", a new expansion coming to the game. Darth Malgus is back and is in command of the Sith fleet as it prepares "a devastating attack on the Republic". Players will be able to choose to try to stop him, or to help him. Click through for more details.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Sounds good, hope the content will last more than a few days.
    sythraelMrMelGibson
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Ugh, disappointment doesn't begin to explain my feelings with this game. Yet, it's SW so this crap will probably rope me in for a month.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505

Dragnelus said:

Yeah that is a pivotal point that should be clarified. I guess the headline wanted more clicks than having honesty or the article itself is counterdicting itself.

Either: "Star Wars: The Old Republic - Onslaught will launch in September for FREE to all players." is true or: " Its only free for subscribers" hmmm which is it?
    Dragnelussumdumguy1Alomarinfomatz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Really trying to cash in on the latest movie announcement.
    Viper482Bakgrind
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Albatroes said:

That's how it always works. I would question them if they didn't.
    gunklackerLeiHngWeiGorweHatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    edited April 2019

Gorwe said:

No. I need to wait to see more before I say anything(I suggest the same to others too). Regardless, this seems like SWTOR's last chance to course correct before they pass the event horizon of sorts.

Also, Suzy, you have two typos in your article. The level cap is being raised to 75(whatever gave you the impression of 76 :p) and Dxun will host a new OPERATION, NOT a new ONSLAUGHT.

I thought it was a subtle Freudian slip that liken the content to be of fall out 76 type quality. I thought it was rather funny myself until I realized that it wasn't meant to be that. Now I am one sad puppy. :neutral:
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    class overhaul when? adding a new skill is good but if u have 40 already ...ugh
    edited April 2019

Gorwe said:

Bakgrind said:

Gorwe said:

No. I need to wait to see more before I say anything(I suggest the same to others too). Regardless, this seems like SWTOR's last chance to course correct before they pass the event horizon of sorts.

Also, Suzy, you have two typos in your article. The level cap is being raised to 75(whatever gave you the impression of 76 :p) and Dxun will host a new OPERATION, NOT a new ONSLAUGHT.

I thought it was a subtle Freudian slip that liken the content to be of fall out 76 type quality. I thought it was rather funny myself until I realized that it wasn't meant to be that. Now I am one sad puppy. :neutral:

SWTOR was a lot of things, but it never was Fallout 76 dumpster fire "quality". Not even under Ben Irving(who, as I understand, managed to ruin an entire game in the meantime *cough Anthem *cough).

No, SWTOR was not the dumpster fire that 76 was. I was mainly trying to imply that Bioware is a seriously confused company for the past several years. I blame Ben "Isn't it exciting"™ Irving for his shenanigans with the RNG aspect and its excessive grinding aspect in lieu of content for SWTOR more so than I do for Anthem since he handed over the reins of SWTOR to Keith about 2 years ago. But, I can understand if people do because he gets top billing and is to be held responsible for it.

Anthem to me was always that game that Bioware fans did not want, but were happy to see it being developed as long as it did not effect the titles that they were currently playing or looking forward to such as SWTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Even though many of us suspected, we now know for sure that Anthem in fact did impact those games negatively and took resources from all three games and put those titles on hold and personally put I think 70% of the blame goes to the studio in Montreal whilst EA shares 30% of it.
    Post edited by Bakgrind on

Albatroes said:

At least this time they are actually bringing content to SWTOR to try and hype both the movie and the game. Unlike previous years when it was the same ole same content.
    Bakgrind said:

Albatroes said:

At least this time they are actually bringing content to SWTOR to try and hype both the movie and the game. Unlike previous years when it was the same ole same content.
    How's the overall game been anyway? I've honestly been thinking of re-downloading it lately.
    Hatefull
    Albatroes said:
    content.
    How's the overall game been anyway? I've honestly been thinking of re-downloading it lately.

Well I needed a break from the game and left in December and wont be back until 6.0 drops, but it was doing pretty good then. I played on the EU server even though I connect from Texas. I find that  that the  people there enjoy the game and are not  as toxic the US servers.  And I the ping isn't all that bad at 145.
    MrMelGibson
  • EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I really enjoyed this game for a few weeks not that long ago. As an admitted alt-aholic I was excited by all the class stories and various classes. Sadly, they all go through all the same places and have mirrored versions on the other side. It all felt very "same-y" after too long, and really needed a subscription to be fun.
    The other thing that was weird is that I felt it could've really benefited from a more restricted approach to story content. I was doing random dungeons that were way in front of where I was in the story and none of it made sense.
    All in all a decent casual experience but I found myself without a reason to pay for it, and without paying, it wasn't very much fun.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Gorwe said:

SWTOR likely deserved better than what it turned into. Much like Anthem it was a genre that BW had no experience in and it showed. Would have made a great single player / co-op but as a MMO it just failed to live up to expectations. The investment at the time was the biggest budget MMO out there with marketing costs. I enjoyed a couple of the class stories but game never grabbed me long term.

It really should've been a hybrid singleplayer / coop game. Perhaps learn from ME3 and improve on that framework?

They started to work on SWTOR in 2006, started full production in 2009 and released it in December 2011. ME3 released months later in 2012. Between 2006 and 2012, WoW was all the rage in term of online gaming and SWTOR release wasn't as bad as people claims, the bad was a few months later when BioWare failed to fix things and release new content.

And that's because the dev team was already understaffed, not only was there layoffs, but BioWare split the team to start a new project (Shadow Realms), work on the 1st expac and maintain the game at the same time...and it didn't top there: DAI, MEA, Anthem all poached SWTOR devs too.

Then Irving screwed things up. He was moved away about 2 years ago and the understaffed SWTOR dev team have been fixing things since (rather successfully I would say).
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited April 2019
    they screwed this game up when they nerfed crafting especially slicing and companions, I loved it til then
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I really wanted to enjoy some of the stories but I felt burnt as a collector edition founder. Kinda compelled to start a Nautolan though.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The bigger picture here is Disney's willingness to allow EA to continue development on this game so however you feel about BW or EA if you like SW and MMO's better drop some money on this game once in a while. I buy a sub now and then for that reason cause any development is better than maintenance mode or that sudden "we don't give chit" Marvel Heroes shut down.
    MrMelGibson
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    EXCITINGGGGGG
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited April 2019

Gorwe said:

Albatroes said:

Bakgrind said:

Albatroes said:

Why and when did you quit?

Probably a year-ish after it was f2p? I know I quit around the time that I learned that they were selling hotbar slots in the cash shop.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited April 2019
    It's kind of funny that after some years of F2P titles, it became apparent that the whole moneterary scheme is not a money sink, but a money vortex. Personally I always subscribe when given the option, avoid anything that does not offer the option or anything that force me to acknowledge that a cash shop exists after paying for a subscription.

In the case of SW:TOR, it's easy to avoid the cash shop completely if you subscribe, which makes it a good deal in my book.
    BruceYeeGorwe
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Anthem failed, so now the devs are back to the SWTOR team to create new content LOL!
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    If the game came out with an actual retail expansion I'd come back and give it a shot, but everything they have done is in these short little expansions that don't add much. I'm not sure what's the point, feed players for a few days? The potential is there to make something great. It's frickin star wars!

FF14 is no god send it has it's problems too. But my god do they ever have the content right. Their patches put so much effort into expanding the game and some are even the size of this mini expansion and they are quick cycles too. Patch sets (by version numbers) have doubled or even tripled the amount of the original content of each expansion. Then the retail expansion is a huge amount of content with tons of new places to explore.

If SWToR could focus and bring production much like FF14 does I think the audience would be much more wider and the game would be way more healthier.
    Bakgrind
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This is a much better MMO than it gets credit for.
    AmatheazarhalGorwe
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MikotoMisakaMikotoMisaka Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Currently gearing is aids and a half for ppl like me that only enjoy the pvp aspect (like my fav pvp of all time is this game) but this expansion sounds like it will fix that so I'm ready to jump back in.