Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Team Posts Job Listing for Senior Systems Designer (Loot) - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAnthem Team Posts Job Listing for Senior Systems Designer (Loot) - MMORPG.com

One of the loudest complaints that many in the Anthem community have had is the poor quality of the loot system in a game that is largely billed as a "shooter looter". In a new job posting on the EA/BioWare site, it appears that the team is in the market for a Senior Systems Designer (Loot).

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    anthem is a disaster, really regret buying it

I'm hoping it becomes a better value within the next 9 months

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    SBFordmomintiminfomatzvelimiriusgastovski1
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    no one with brain enough to think will want the job there, so I guess who ever takes the job will not be able to do a good job at it xD,
    GdemamialkarionlogJeroKanevelimiriusgastovski1
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Isn't this the kind of thing you do.. before you launch your game? I'm not an expert.
    BakgrindThaharKumapondoomexAlmostLancelotalkarionlogrodingomomintimAlbatroesDhamon99and 4 others.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    My only matching qualification is "senior."
    XarkojgDuffay3domAlmostLancelotSBFordDaranarTacticalZombehinfomatzJeroKanevelimiriusand 2 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited April 2019
    You'd think they'd hire such a person before fucking it up. 

I mean I got my $60 worth. (Or rather $40 worth since I got the 20% discount and $10 reward certificate from Best Buy). But I wanted it to be a casual secondary game and it lacks the content for even that much.
    RoinValsilei
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It's like they are not closing the game down in May-July Andromeda-style.

By the way - it turned out Anthem is just a modified MEA gameplay + some enemies are borrowed from MEA practically without changes.
    GdemamiSBFordOctagon7711infomatzgastovski1

Thank you for your time!

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400

3dom said:

By the way - it turned out Anthem is just a modified MEA gameplay + some enemies are borrowed from MEA practically without changes.

Game has tons of faults, but the combat is far superior to MEA.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    jgDuffay said:
    no one with brain enough to think will want the job there, so I guess who ever takes the job will not be able to do a good job at it xD,
    I don't think it works that way in the game industry. There are so many people who want to break into it, even though it's known that there is little job security and long work hours, that they will be able to find someone who is interested in making their mark and putting it on their resume.
    ShadowStyleB
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited April 2019
    3dom said:

That's because they used Anthem early stuff to finish MEA in 18 months.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    While I'm sure the former dev who wrote the article is an excellent dev, and made some great points..  Half of what he pointed out was wrong isn't exactly cutting-edge science..

Having inscriptions that don't do what they say is a bad idea...  No kidding?

Given equal rewards, having activities with vastly different levels of time/effort required will lead players to just choosing to do the easiest option...  Um, yup.

Having no control over what item or set you pursue frustrates folks in a game wholly dedicated go the loot chase ..  Well of fucking course.

What's more incredible is that Bioware's devs found these insights to be..  Well, not obvious.
    Dhamon99JeroKane

• HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    So glad they had an open beta, so I didn't waste money on this trash.
    Octagon7711XarkoX-ranfegastovski1
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    While I'm sure the former dev who wrote the article is an excellent dev, and made some great points..  Half of what he pointed out was wrong isn't exactly cutting-edge science..

Having inscriptions that don't do what they say is a bad idea...  No kidding?

Given equal rewards, having activities with vastly different levels of time/effort required will lead players to just choosing to do the easiest option...  Um, yup.

Having no control over what item or set you pursue frustrates folks in a game wholly dedicated go the loot chase ..  Well of fucking course.

What's more incredible is that Bioware's devs found these insights to be..  Well, not obvious.
    I get the idea that such statements are more PR than legitimate.

Jason Schrier's expose on Bioware clearly paints a picture of employees who were self-aware of the issues. They just didn't have the time to fix them during this final-year crunch that basically built the entire game. Bioware leadership is a joke.
    GdemamiMadFrenchie
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I’m like ... maybe they should have hired that before?
    DaranarSBFordRoinAlbatroesOctagon7711MadFrenchieDhamon99infomatz[Deleted User]JeroKaneand 2 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Oof.
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

Sovrath said:

jgDuffay said:

I don't think it works that way in the game industry. There are so many people who want to break into it, even though it's known that there is little job security and long work hours, that they will be able to find someone who is interested in making their mark and putting it on their resume.

Sad but true, I am taking a bachlor in game design atm, but I would rather keep my bakery job than head into such a studio :D
    Gdemami
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited April 2019
    Come on, you know that Anthem had one and either that person left or was moved to another project/position.

Darrin McPherson was the person who presented itemization in the Anthem's stream before it released by the way.
    gervaise1
  • BlacklabelcaliBlacklabelcali Member UncommonPosts: 24

Just like Anthem, you're late the party with that comment, nice try
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hard to believe they were actually going to take flight out of the game. They make a mistake with the loot drops and people are happy because the loot is decent and then they fix it. :/
    gunklacker

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Hard to believe they were actually going to take flight out of the game. They make a mistake with the loot drops and people are happy because the loot is decent and then they fix it. :/
    Bioware currently:

Image result for gif when i try to fix
    SBFordDhamon99infomatz

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    2 months++ after release they start bothering about loot system? :)

well, some say it's better late than never i guess

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Really need to put up a job posting for EA CEO with the requirements stating that catering to shareholders will not be tolerated lol.
    Chaserz
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Thane said:

I have not been following it lately and figured it would be done and dead by now.
    So this smells like they have some pre-planned idea for this game long before the release to further monetize it.

My assumption,trying to cash in on pvp season passes or some weak effort DLC and trying to sell that for 40 bucks.Yep i have a gut feeling ,they are going to further monetize this.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    "BioWare is looking for an creative and passionate Senior Systems Designer with experience in Loot Systems"

Cash Shop revenue systems just the sort of thing to bring out your creative and passionate side.
    Xarko
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Wizardry said:

Thane said:

I have not been following it lately and figured it would be done and dead by now.

So this smells like they have some pre-planned idea for this game long before the release to further monetize it.

My assumption,trying to cash in on pvp season passes or some weak effort DLC and trying to sell that for 40 bucks.Yep i have a gut feeling ,they are going to further monetize this.

"40 bucks little man! put that shit in ma haaaand!!"

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"