Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4k in ESO worth it?

FishForceFishForce Member UncommonPosts: 60
Hello ESO friends, I am currently playing in 1080p and thinking of buying a 4K Monitor around 500-800€
My System is RTX 2080, I7 9700K, 32GB Intern, 1TB SSD. Do you think its worth it? does it have a heavy inpact on my system?

Of course this is not only for ESO, also for other games. From what i seen on the internet if you buy a 4K Monitor you cant use 1080p because it would look all blurry? and it also needs to be G Sync for smooth performance?

I was also thinking about a 1440p Monitor but from what i understand it will not support the PS4 Pro or PS5
If im buying a new monitor i would like it to be future proof so i like to go in 4K all the way and not 1440P.

Also i am not intro FPS shooters or really competitive games so i don't care much for 144hz

Any other tips? or advise

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    4K is a no brainer with your system. 1080p is a waste of your systems capabilities.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited April 2019
    I play in 4K a long time now. Did that already in ESO and man i loved it. Much!
    Go for the 4K and you will never go back! Never. And you will no need for AA anymore, which is nice.
  • FishForceFishForce Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited April 2019
    only a few monitors support freesync with a nvidia card. all i want is that i can hook up both my ps4 pro and my pc ...with g sync and 4K then its a good monitor 
    bestever said:
    FishForce said:
    all i want is that i can hook up both my ps4 pro and my pc ... then its a good monitor 
    Well that won't make it a good monitor lol. Just make sure it has enough HDMI ports and you'll be good to go.

Thats not entirely true not all 4k monitors support the ps4 pro
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    G-Sync doesn't have a reason to exist other than vendor lock-in.  Especially now that Nvidia finally supports adaptive sync after dragging their feet for four years, there's no sense in buying a G-Sync monitor anymore unless you find it significantly cheaper than an otherwise equivalent FreeSync monitor.  It's just paying an extra $150 for reduced compatibility as compared to an otherwise identical FreeSync monitor.

The choice between higher resolution and higher frame rate is one of personal preference.  My personal choice is to have both by having three monitors, though the monitor bezels would bother some people.

Even if you don't think that you need 144 Hz or 120 Hz, that doesn't mean that 30 Hz is acceptable.  Make sure that whatever monitor you get supports at least 60 Hz.

Be warned that if you get a lot more pixels, you probably want a lot more inches, too.  Some programs scale the UI well to high resolutions and some don't, so some programs will be really awkward to use on a 24" 4K monitor.  Ideally, if you double the pixels in each dimension, you'd like to roughly double the inches, too, which would probably put you significantly north of 40" on a 4K monitor.  Something like 32" might be okay, but you probably don't want a 24" or 27" 4K monitor.

You can run a 4K monitor at lower resolutions, and it won't look terrible, but it will look worse than having an otherwise identical monitor whose native resolution is the lower resolution.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I can't really talk about consoles, dare I say before you buy a new monitor get a PC that will have a big effect on how the game looks. That plus a 4k monitor and you are laughing.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited April 2019
    OK did my research... Your screwed until NVidia decides to get off it's proprietary screw you throne and support the open industry standard.

If we are talkin 4K monitors that support Gsync and HDR over Freesync there is 1 option. And it has bad backlight bleed with a $800 price tag.

If we are talking 4K HDR monitors that support GSync, there are 3 options with a $1800+ price tag.

If we are talking 4K HDR monitors that don't support GSync, there are 23 starting at $400.

I will say right now monitors that support FreeSync 2 are superior than monitors that support GSync Ultimate. Recent testing of similar panels shows more work is put into the FreeSync monitors. So it's hopefully only a matter of time. At the leading edge of panel tech for computer monitors is the Samsung Quantum Dot and LG Nano IPS. The only GSync compatible devices that support either technology has a $600 price premium.
    Post edited by Cleffy on
    edited April 2019
    Quizzical said:
    G-Sync doesn't have a reason to exist other than vendor lock-in.  Especially now that Nvidia finally supports adaptive sync after dragging their feet for four years, there's no sense in buying a G-Sync monitor anymore unless you find it significantly cheaper than an otherwise equivalent FreeSync monitor.  It's just paying an extra $150 for reduced compatibility as compared to an otherwise identical FreeSync monitor.

The choice between higher resolution and higher frame rate is one of personal preference.  My personal choice is to have both by having three monitors, though the monitor bezels would bother some people.

Even if you don't think that you need 144 Hz or 120 Hz, that doesn't mean that 30 Hz is acceptable.  Make sure that whatever monitor you get supports at least 60 Hz.

Be warned that if you get a lot more pixels, you probably want a lot more inches, too.  Some programs scale the UI well to high resolutions and some don't, so some programs will be really awkward to use on a 24" 4K monitor.  Ideally, if you double the pixels in each dimension, you'd like to roughly double the inches, too, which would probably put you significantly north of 40" on a 4K monitor.  Something like 32" might be okay, but you probably don't want a 24" or 27" 4K monitor.

You can run a 4K monitor at lower resolutions, and it won't look terrible, but it will look worse than having an otherwise identical monitor whose native resolution is the lower resolution.
    I am sorry mate but a lot of Freesync monitors still have problems with a Geforce card
    Or a Geforce card still has a lot of problems with a Freesync monitor.

At least thats what i read on the internet and see on Youtube...

And the ones that do support Freesync are mostly not for sale anymore
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274
    All I can say would be to go talk to a sales rep at your local electronics store and see if they would hook up a 4k computer to the tv display that you are interested in.

I bought an 75 inch LC LED tv for just over $1600 US and could not be happyer using it with 2
    GTX 1080Ti in SLI mode. 
    bestever said:
    FishForce said:
    Quizzical said:

I am sorry mate but a lot of Freesync monitors still have problems with a Geforce card
    Or a Geforce card still has a lot of problems with a Freesync monitor.

At least thats what i read on the internet and see on Youtube...

And the ones that do support Freesync are mostly not for sale anymore
    Then look at the approved list by Nvidia and here's a masters list that someone has been testing. Best of luck finding what you want.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI0RQcymJSY0-LkbjSRGswWpJzVRuK_4zMvphRbh19k/edit#gid=1455257716
    Can you name one monitor on this list that works with g sync properly that has a reasonabel price is 4K and has hdmi 2.0 and is avalible in the Netherlands? 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    What card even runs the newer single player games at more than 70fps at 4K these days?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    What card even runs the newer single player games at more than 70fps at 4K these days?
    As far as I know there are no 144mhz 4k monitors out there either?
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    As far as I know there are no 144mhz 4k monitors out there either?
    There are but rather expensive. ASUS PG27UQ is about £1500. 
    Scot
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited April 2019
    I found a few Freesync monitors that sould work with Gsync acording to this dutch site https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1901640

Its the
    LG 27UD59P
    LG 27UD88
    LG 27UK650

Not sure if that site is trustable?
    Tho they are not advertisde as gaming monitors, i think they sould work ok.
    all 3 are near 400€ and have HDMI 2.0 and are 4K and 27inch

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited April 2019
    I have an LG 27UD88. I got it for professional image editing. All the LG panels cap out at 60hz refresh but have better image quality. Out of those ones only the 27UK650 has HDR capability. I think it's an HDR400 which is only slightly better than SDR.
    i now orderd the BenQ el2870u as it was the best pick... 27UK650 does not support g sync as good as the BenQ one.