Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Ashes of Creation Forums Make Their Debut - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOfficial Ashes of Creation Forums Make Their Debut - MMORPG.com

Intrepid Studios has announced that there are now official Ashes of Creation forums now live on the site. In addition, the team has posted a lengthy note about the process of adding forums to the new site that simultaneously allowed posters to bring their accounts over. Fans will need to log in using their Intrepid account and will need to reclaim their old forum display name.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its funny that they had a BR mode up before the actual forums.
    OyjordBillMurphyPirrayagastovski1GreatnessScotPuReDusTSpottyGekkoGaladournPhaserlightand 2 others.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Albatroes said:

To be fair, I don’t think they had Margaret and they needed a CM lead before forums came on.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Albatroes said:

To be fair, I don’t think they had Margaret and they needed a CM lead before forums came on.

Not at all. They had forums. They had a disaster of a website "upgrade" and their database got corrupted. It's taken them months and months to get them back up...

@jahlon can explain the details
    [Deleted User]Alomar[Deleted User]Samhael[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Albatroes said:
    To be fair.. I'd rather a BR mode then a Forums anyway. 
    Alomarbcbullygastovski1ScotSpottyGekkoSamhael
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388

Albatroes said:

Not at all. They had forums. They had a disaster of a website "upgrade" and their database got corrupted. It's taken them months and months to get them back up...

@jahlon can explain the details

They had forums back on 17 December. 

On 18 December they tried to do a data migration for their account management system, their store, and their forums.

They were build on Wordpress for the website, WooCommerce for the Store and Vanilla for the forums.  Two of those three things will talk to each other, one of them will not.  At least not COTS out of the box.

Now, it took them from 17 December through 11 April to get the webpage limping along towards a state of being fixed.  The big hold back was the Single Sign On Solution they were working for, because they want to ensure that everyone is accessible.

Do you need a CM to have forums?  No.
    Does it help?  Sure

Forums at the end of the day are just a tool.  They aren't going to do anything in and of themselves, but they sure do help when you want to craft a message and shape your community relations.

Now, are there other issues.  Sure, and those are the ones worth talking about.

But, I haven't done my research yet on those issues, I've been doing other things.   

mklinic[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A LOT of people have been trying hard to convince me and others Steven is sincere and wants a great  game.
    Everywhere i look i see something that just has me so skeptical,not of a sincere game designer but of the result.

I just watched a video,the guy's video is basically to reassure everyone Steven is as sincere/passionate gamer as there is.How the hell would i know right?Ok so he is or isn't ,one thing for sure,he carries a LOT of drama with him.Perhaps that is a by product of too much time on Reddit ,god i hate Twitty,Crapbook and Redshit.

So now we get news of an official forum,so what to think of it.Was he afraid after all that went on drama wise the past year?Will he even take part in his own forums,MOST devs do not.USUALLY the game forums are just a place for the CM to tell pissed off gamer's they can't be pissed off>>>TOS .
    Yeah i know CM=glorified forum moderator.
    What i want to see is a SINCERE package ,prove to me you care about your game,i don't want to see your buddies videos or we have this great new forum but you'll never be on it.."too busy".

Me i am real good at seeing the bigger picture,that doesn't mean things can't change,maybe this new forum will be the BESTEST most awesome gaming forum ever created since the Dinosaurs roamed the Earth.You know what will really happen though?>>>just another forum with moderators and a TOS and no sign of sincerity.

mmolou

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

A LOT of people have been trying hard to convince me and others Steven is sincere and wants a great  game.
    Everywhere i look i see something that just has me so skeptical,not of a sincere game designer but of the result.

I just watched a video,the guy's video is basically to reassure everyone Steven is as sincere/passionate gamer as there is.How the hell would i know right?Ok so he is or isn't ,one thing for sure,he carries a LOT of drama with him.Perhaps that is a by product of too much time on Reddit ,god i hate Twitty,Crapbook and Redshit.

So now we get news of an official forum,so what to think of it.Was he afraid after all that went on drama wise the past year?Will he even take part in his own forums,MOST devs do not.USUALLY the game forums are just a place for the CM to tell pissed off gamer's they can't be pissed off>>>TOS .
    Yeah i know CM=glorified forum moderator.
    What i want to see is a SINCERE package ,prove to me you care about your game,i don't want to see your buddies videos or we have this great new forum but you'll never be on it.."too busy".

Me i am real good at seeing the bigger picture,that doesn't mean things can't change,maybe this new forum will be the BESTEST most awesome gaming forum ever created since the Dinosaurs roamed the Earth.You know what will really happen though?>>>just another forum with moderators and a TOS and no sign of sincerity.

Yeah, I agree with most of it. There's too much 'hyping' going on in the industry today. Everyone is trying way too hard to hype something instead of just letting the work do the talking. Months and months and months of hype through weekly posts and livestreams on Anthem only to find out later that they were probably doing all that because that was probably the first time THEY got to see the game THEY were making lol. All this stupid stuff going on yet financially the gaming industry is as healthy as its ever been if you ask Activision-Blizzard/EA. Personally, I really dont think all this crowdfunding business is helping take 'power' away from companies like that either. Why? Because at the end of the day, consumers will always float towards something that has a history vs something that doesn't. Sure some of these indies have 'big names' in them but honestly a lot of people dont know the faces behind the games they play, just the publisher logo. Without that, chances are people wont care.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,822
    Let this be a lesson to anyone developing a game, put everything under the same banner so that all systems will talk to each other. I have to say for any IT project this seems a bit basic to me but what do gamers know? :)
    Phaserlight
  • Poison_GirlPoison_Girl Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I think that forums can prodive a better connection between devs CMs and players. I don't like discord at all.
    KyleranWaan
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    Let this be a lesson to anyone developing a game, put everything under the same banner so that all systems will talk to each other. I have to say for any IT project this seems a bit basic to me but what do gamers know? :)
    Sound idea to a point,  but carries some risks. Lets talk about an SSO system, you have to design it to be online 24 x 7 with at least a four if not five 9s level of reliability / redundancy, literally it can never be offline or no one does anything.

I find it annoying how many game company official forums and web sites go offline at the same time as when they do a game restart, happened to me just last night on POE.

Literally may have cost them money, during the restart I went to open the web based cash shop page to peruse the wares but nope, was offline as well.

When the servers finally came back up, (5 mins after on screen count down timer had ended) l returned to the game and the opportunity lost.
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    IT fashions come and go. Enterprise software in the 90's consisted of all "best of breed" standalone solutions. Then as the need for "integration" became a thing, everyone opted for single-vendor solutions, because it was easier and cheaper in the long run. In the last 10 years, things have gone full-circle, with "best-of-breed" applications becoming popular again... 

The "old stuff" is never good enough, we have to keep changing and innovating at all costs ! 

Besides, how on earth are successive IT directors going to justify their huge bonuses if they can't introduce "new and improved" systems to replace those implemented by their predecessors ? ;)
    Scot
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Oh thank goodness. Finally we can come together as a community to discuss the literal nothing of AoC.
    [Deleted User]Kyleranmcd6993
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565

Albatroes said:

They had forums up and running pretty much from the beginning, after the first AoC announcements back in late 2016.

Albatroes said:

They had forums up and running pretty much from the beginning, after the first AoC announcements back in late 2016.
    If what you say is true, then I'm failing to see why this 'announcement' is such a big deal then.
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

If what you say is true, then I'm failing to see why this 'announcement' is such a big deal then.
    Well, as explained above, they had a huge issue with migrating to the new forum, so for a long time the only way for the community to interact was Discord.

For the general audience, this announcement is not a big deal at all (but free press for Intrepid is always nice for them, so why not?). For the AoC backers who were 'homeless' for months and months, it probably is a big deal - they can finally start coming back.
    Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

Well, as explained above, they had a huge issue with migrating to the new forum, so for a long time the only way for the community to interact was Discord.

For the general audience, this announcement is not a big deal at all (but free press for Intrepid is always nice for them, so why not?). For the AoC backers who were 'homeless' for months and months, it probably is a big deal - they can finally start coming back.
    I’m sure most of The Glorious Ashes Community never left...  ;)
    Kyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Ungood said:
    Albatroes said:
    Is the BR mode up and running now?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Albatroes said:
    Is the BR mode up and running now?
    Negative
    Probably waiting to tie it to the next “sale”
    mcd6993

• MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 138
    What server were you on in AA Slapshot.....it wasn't Steven's by chance was it?! ..../chuckle
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It doesn't cost anything to post. That's good, yes?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

Honestly, I'd say it kind of lacks the understanding of priority given its taken them so long to get it up and running, yet they can have a br mode with a cash shop, which was supposedly for testing purposes. Discord is great for 'people that use it' but more people are likely to go to an official forum should there be issues that arise to either get informed and/or report issues....if they want to properly test.