Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest missed opportunity: No Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) remake or classic servers

135

Comments

  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,451
    Kyleran said:
    Er, you are free to play all races and classes.....
    Okay since apparently I need to explain myself better: I'm an altoholic. I will play any race and any class at one point.

    In DAOC I would have to get three accounts for that, and I couldnt trade between these characters unless they belong to the same realm, and I couldnt party with the same people, and I'd be considered a cheater on top of that.

    So no, DAOC doesnt work for me.

    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,808
    More people should play it 

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,433
    edited April 2019
    Thane said:
    yea, but they won't. if there are no realms, players will just form a goon squad and gank everything in sight. happened every time so far they had the chance. the russians seem to be epecially good at mass ganking as it seems.
    Err, I said nowhere one should allow ganking.

    I said players should make their own conflicts. That means players can form groups and everyone can freely decide which group they would like to join, or if they want to join at all. Different groups then can get in conflict over a resource.

    A good example would be castle sieges from Lineage 2. Theres a certain position of priviledge a guild can archieve, initially from NPCs. Once somebody holds that position, in regular intervalls theres a castle siege in which other guilds can try to take this priviledge from the current owners.

    Err, you just held up Lineage 2, a game which permitted ganking as an example. 

    When I played one large (zerg) alliance of no lifers held every castle on the server I was on for most of the time I was there.

    EVE permits players to freely make associations they wish, and null sec is dominated by mega alliances made up of thousands of members, Russians being one of the major groups.

    So far as I can see based on past history, @Thanes point still stands, players left to their own devices will do exactly as he said.


    Hatefull

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,433
    Kyleran said:
    Er, you are free to play all races and classes.....
    Okay since apparently I need to explain myself better: I'm an altoholic. I will play any race and any class at one point.

    In DAOC I would have to get three accounts for that, and I couldnt trade between these characters unless they belong to the same realm, and I couldnt party with the same people, and I'd be considered a cheater on top of that.

    So no, DAOC doesnt work for me.

    Err, no back in the day you had two options to do as you say.

    1st was Mordred, the FFA PVP server, and the 2nd was Ghareis (?)  a cooperative PVE only server.

    But then again, DAOC had like 46 unique classes, and multiple races for each, yet each account was limited to 10 character slots maximum.

    There are always "limits" in any game or sport, its up to the players to adapt to the situation, instead of letting their personal "preferences" prevent them from enjoying the experience. 

    Sure, you like alts, few ever created 46 in DAOC, and no one got them all up to "max level" which was something like Realm Rank 15L10 or something insane.

    Try not to build up self imposed walls which prevent you from doing fun things, advice I have to often tell myself on many occasions. 




    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,281
    I feel like the bigger missed opportunity was for an RvR only DAOC server. The fact that Camelot Unchained received backing from 10s of thousands of players showed there was a demand for RvR unchained from PvE leveling and gear grind. If Broadsword had made that kind of server years ago, I probably would have subscribed for a while especially given how endless CU's development has been.

    Having tried some classic DAOC free shards, I kind of doubt an official version would appeal to me much at this point especially with a monthly sub attached. Mythic did improve the game a lot over the years, and the 2001-2002 version of it is far from the best version imho.

    DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:.

    I agree with Wizardry  on the fact that I think too many people don't really take those factors into play, when they think about rebooting old games like this.
    Well of course, all mmorpg's lose people over time.

    And "yes" people will jump into a "reboot" server for ha-ha's and then leave.

    However, while there are people who are just "bored" (which is a disgusting state to be in considering there is so much to life to explore) there are quite a few who, as I've said, like the older games.

    I like the older games and a significant amount of people on the lord of the rings online "reboot" servers do as well. They are populated. These are not people who are there for nostalgia, they want to play the game with consolidated population.

    It does an injustice to say that people are just playing these games because of nostalgia. I'm beyond sure there are people out there who enjoy various entertainments that are hundreds of years old simply becuase they are beyond a doubt: awesome.
    Of course they are playing for nostalgic reasons, or they would just play the current iteration of the game.

    Sure there are other reasons, like wanting to be competitive to other players that have been playing for years and a reboot would provide that, as well as other motives, but I would wager they are the smaller portion of the voices, if even a voice at all, and just people taking the opportunity as it was offered.

    As I highly doubt on the LotRO forums people were as many people fussing that they needed a reboot server so they would not need to deal with a game where everyone was already a superhero, as there were people who wanted to return to a time before the Mordor expansion.

    But by and large, reboots or vanilla servers attract people because typically at some point the developers did something to the game they at one time loved, to make it so they no longer love it like they used to.. and they want to recapture that lost flame. And let's be honest here, this happens to a lot of MMO's over the course of their development. Too often developers will add things, change things, revise things and even reinvent things, which end up really annoying their existing player base.

    And, as funny and sad as this sounds (also only applies to successful games), most of the time, if we chart their occupancy or earning paths, you can even pinpoint it, and be like "Yup, right there, they screwed something up", and we see a decline. As such, Players that enjoyed the game but, also went though whatever it was that messed the game, would often want to return to the game they once loved. This is nostalgic pure and simple.. which is not a bad thing, and I will offer that sometimes the older version very well may have been far better.

    Like just to use an example, with WoW... something happened with Cataclysm, not sure what, but, that was when they hit the "You dun fucked up" button, and I can fully see players that at one time loved the game, wanting to return back to the game before that expansion was put out. But this is nostalgia none the less.

    It was a better game before they screwed it up.. is a very easy idea to embrace, which is what you are talking about with LotRO, And I respect that stance, hell, I have even said that stance.

    But, when I see people talk about a game they played 10+ years ago, and are all like "it was the Best game ever", that is a different world.. and truth be told, unless they have been actively playing it.. nahh. That's just the rose colored glasses of yesteryear.

    Even more on the Tinted Glasses, if the game got shut down or abandoned to maintenance mode... which is what happened with DAOC.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,019
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Hatefullmeddyck
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,019
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Hatefull
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,019
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Slapshot1188Hatefull
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 289
    DAOC = greatest MMORPG of all time.

    This and more.  I don't think people understand how innovative this game was especially back when it was released.  It had massive depth for its day and it catered to a number of different types of gamers.  Hated PVP?  That was fine, you had PvE, crafting, housing, real neighborhoods.. you actually knew your neighbors.  Didn't care for any of that, that's fine you could spend your days fighting in RvR.  It had something for everybody.. was it the greatest PvE game ever.. no, but it was good enough for those players interested in it.

    Would this game if released today do well.. no, it's an old game.  Today's generation would have a hard time coping with it.. but that's okay.  Would a classic reboot server do well?  Yes, I think Phoenix has already proven that.. but it's not something I would be interested in.  Only so much of that game you can go back to.

    What would really do well?  If there was ever a game that justified a '2' it would be DAOC 2.  It's insane to think that this game never got a chance at a sequel.  Camelot Unchained isn't a sequel to this game, it's a game that is only going to be focused on RvR type mechanics and as of right now, will only be a shell of what DAOC was.  They are making big advancements in technology in terms of how many people can fight in 1 area etc... so that has advanced a lot.  But I don't think Unchained will be the game that the old DAOC crowd is wanting or looking for.

      
    Slapshot1188KyleranUngoodHatefull
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,089
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    For me it’s corn flakes with huge spoonfuls of sugar.  At least when my wife isn’t watching.
    KyleranHatefullChildoftheShadows

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,433
    edited April 2019
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    For me it’s corn flakes with huge spoonfuls of sugar.  At least when my wife isn’t watching.
    Being a more casual cereal eater I prefer Frosted Flakes.

    Apple Jacks are still pretty amazing as well

    ;)
    Hatefull

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,433
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    I'm impressed, wish I still had a metabolism.  On the plus side if I'm ever stranded somewhere I'll able to live for months without food.
    ;)

    Ungood

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    I'm impressed, wish I still had a metabolism.  On the plus side if I'm ever stranded somewhere I'll able to live for months without food.
    ;)

    I work in construction.. when I am on contract, I pretty much need to eat around 2,600 or I feel like I am starving.. when I am off contract, I eat a lot less, often in the form a light lunch and dinner.. and still eat heavy for breakfast.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Luiden said:

    What would really do well?  If there was ever a game that justified a '2' it would be DAOC 2.  It's insane to think that this game never got a chance at a sequel.  Camelot Unchained isn't a sequel to this game, it's a game that is only going to be focused on RvR type mechanics and as of right now, will only be a shell of what DAOC was.  They are making big advancements in technology in terms of how many people can fight in 1 area etc... so that has advanced a lot.  But I don't think Unchained will be the game that the old DAOC crowd is wanting or looking for.

      
    I think Camelot Unchained has the ability to reach a far larger audience that DAOC ever touched, because, PvE has evolved over the years, what was considered fun and enjoyable 15 years ago, is not what works today.

    In fact, in some cases, less is in fact more in this regard.

    Making a game that is PvP first and foremost makes it easier to balance classes for that as opposed to hot mess we often see in most MMO's were there are all kinds of imbalances, from class imbalances, to gear imbalances, to level imbalances, to straight up population imbalances, and other things like territory control giving boons, which is just another kind of imbalance, of which DAOC had them all in aces.

    Any game made like that today would die in a hot fire within the year with a few hold outs that positively loved the game.. but not enough to support it.. it would limp along for a few more years, and then finally succumb to either maintenance mode, or be shut down and put out of its misery. 

    CU, appears to have a very deep PvE aspect, with their entire C.U.B.E. design, and a rich crafting system, so, there will be means for players that do not want to PvP to enjoy the game, also, as I understand it, the brain behind DAOC, Mark Jacobs, is the same person behind CU, and was building this to be the successor to DAOC.

    So best I can understand it.. CU is the reboot of DAOC or AKA: DAOC2

    Which means.. for all the people that say it's not.. well.. no one else would give you something better or closer.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,408
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    To each their own...yet you assert and agree with @Wizardry that very few people can differentiate between good game design and fun...If a game is FUN, it is a good design by definition. Don't we play games to have fun? I do, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but I know a few people that play games for fun. 

    If it's not fun, and you aren't getting paid to do it, and it's not a favor for a friend or family member...why the fuck would you do it?

    Whelp, I guess I better go play this shitty game and have a miserable time because there is just nothing else to do.

    Does that make any sense to you? If people play a game and enjoy it, it's good game design. Now an argument can be made that some games are designed better than others, ergo they attract larger crowds but at the end of the day, if people like the game and enjoy it, then it was designed well despite what you and the complainer have to say.


    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

    In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    <snip>
    Even with realms DAOC always struggled with imbalances and zerging.  MJ has said 'this time" it will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

    Besides, there is a good chance they'll restrict access with regional servers as they did with DAOC in the early days. (EU and Japanese as I recall.)

    "This time it will be different" - I agree with you; believe it when I see it.

    MF managed - by and large - to balance ESO's RvR through a) mega-servers b) the cap on RvR numbers c) enough players to keep the campaigns more "full" d) pretty much a classless design. What MJ will try we will find out.

    Regional access - probably.

    The DAoC EU servers were run under license because - at the time - Mythic didn't have the money to set up the operation. From memory they were operated by Vivendi. And as you say there were indeed Japanese servers also - I think - licensed.

    Global servers would be possible - technically - but if they were to do that they would have to adopt non-US data protection / privacy laws. Think that might work. That may be a better option than running regional servers but like you I suspect they will be regional.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    To each their own...yet you assert and agree with @Wizardry that very few people can differentiate between good game design and fun...If a game is FUN, it is a good design by definition. Don't we play games to have fun? I do, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but I know a few people that play games for fun. 

    If it's not fun, and you aren't getting paid to do it, and it's not a favor for a friend or family member...why the fuck would you do it?

    Whelp, I guess I better go play this shitty game and have a miserable time because there is just nothing else to do.

    Does that make any sense to you? If people play a game and enjoy it, it's good game design. Now an argument can be made that some games are designed better than others, ergo they attract larger crowds but at the end of the day, if people like the game and enjoy it, then it was designed well despite what you and the complainer have to say.


    You are vastly misrepresenting what I said.. but I lack the give-a-shit to correct you. so.. yah.. keep on keeping on I guess.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,433
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:
    <snip>
    Even with realms DAOC always struggled with imbalances and zerging.  MJ has said 'this time" it will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

    Besides, there is a good chance they'll restrict access with regional servers as they did with DAOC in the early days. (EU and Japanese as I recall.)

    "This time it will be different" - I agree with you; believe it when I see it.

    MF managed - by and large - to balance ESO's RvR through a) mega-servers b) the cap on RvR numbers c) enough players to keep the campaigns more "full" d) pretty much a classless design. What MJ will try we will find out.

    Regional access - probably.

    The DAoC EU servers were run under license because - at the time - Mythic didn't have the money to set up the operation. From memory they were operated by Vivendi. And as you say there were indeed Japanese servers also - I think - licensed.

    Global servers would be possible - technically - but if they were to do that they would have to adopt non-US data protection / privacy laws. Think that might work. That may be a better option than running regional servers but like you I suspect they will be regional.
    Good points, the tech landscape today is dramatically different than it was in 2001 and DAOC fairly quickly had to close down the regionals and migrate players to the US servers.

    They delayed the start of Beta One due to efforts to get GDPR compliant, so perhaps this time they will handle it all themselves.

    Still, I wonder if they will have regional servers at launch to keep ping times down, during testing EU is playing on US.
    gervaise1

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,408
    Ungood said:
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    To each their own...yet you assert and agree with @Wizardry that very few people can differentiate between good game design and fun...If a game is FUN, it is a good design by definition. Don't we play games to have fun? I do, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but I know a few people that play games for fun. 

    If it's not fun, and you aren't getting paid to do it, and it's not a favor for a friend or family member...why the fuck would you do it?

    Whelp, I guess I better go play this shitty game and have a miserable time because there is just nothing else to do.

    Does that make any sense to you? If people play a game and enjoy it, it's good game design. Now an argument can be made that some games are designed better than others, ergo they attract larger crowds but at the end of the day, if people like the game and enjoy it, then it was designed well despite what you and the complainer have to say.


    You are vastly misrepresenting what I said.. but I lack the give-a-shit to correct you. so.. yah.. keep on keeping on I guess.
    I can only take what you said at face value, what else could it mean? Or were you strictly speaking to breakfast foods and everything else has to be your way or the highway? I am not clear on what you are getting at.

    My point was, and is, if a game is fun, and the people playing it are having fun, then how is it poor design? If you "don't give a shit" then why are you even in this thread?
    ChildoftheShadows

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

    In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 9,560
    Why and the hell did this thread go into what people eat for breakfast? You all are weird xD
    ChildoftheShadowsHatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
     
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,214
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

    If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

    Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

    Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

    But.. To each their own eh?
    To each their own...yet you assert and agree with @Wizardry that very few people can differentiate between good game design and fun...If a game is FUN, it is a good design by definition. Don't we play games to have fun? I do, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but I know a few people that play games for fun. 

    If it's not fun, and you aren't getting paid to do it, and it's not a favor for a friend or family member...why the fuck would you do it?

    Whelp, I guess I better go play this shitty game and have a miserable time because there is just nothing else to do.

    Does that make any sense to you? If people play a game and enjoy it, it's good game design. Now an argument can be made that some games are designed better than others, ergo they attract larger crowds but at the end of the day, if people like the game and enjoy it, then it was designed well despite what you and the complainer have to say.


    You are vastly misrepresenting what I said.. but I lack the give-a-shit to correct you. so.. yah.. keep on keeping on I guess.
    I can only take what you said at face value, what else could it mean? Or were you strictly speaking to breakfast foods and everything else has to be your way or the highway? I am not clear on what you are getting at.

    My point was, and is, if a game is fun, and the people playing it are having fun, then how is it poor design? If you "don't give a shit" then why are you even in this thread?
    Well, loving the additional assumptions.. but look, if you didn't read what I said the first time, where I explained all this, why should I bother to say it again?

    So keep on keeping on I guess.. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

    I'm Famous! Slapshot has Me in his Signature. Check it out!
Sign In or Register to comment.