Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic The Gathering Arena - Ilharg, the Raze Boar Exclusive Reveal

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMagic The Gathering Arena - Ilharg, the Raze Boar Exclusive Reveal

As MMO and RPG players we have all tried Magic before. Now with Magic The Gathering Arena fans are finally able to meet each other online and play in some of the top tournaments around the globe. It has been Magic’s much needed launch into the online space and we could not be happier. So with that we have an amazing exclusive for you!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited April 2019
    Ive been playing mtg arena for awhile now. Its pretty fair in terms of unlocking cards. I enjoy it much, much more than hearthstone.
    SBFordBrokenSilenceRemyVorender
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Is this supposed to be a card we can get through this site? or just a preview?
  • SvendSvinSvendSvin Member UncommonPosts: 10

jdnewell said:

Is this supposed to be a card we can get through this site? or just a preview?

It is just a preview from the new series that is coming next month. Or in the case of Arena, later this month.

- SvendSvin

• odysseus033odysseus033 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I thought it was going to be a code for a free card, boo!
    RandomInSociety
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
    I've played a lot of CCGs past and present and in my opinion MTG Arena is EASILY the best CCG on the market right now.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Very well made CCG.
    BruceYee

Joined - July 2004

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Arguably the best CCG ever made and MTG:Arena is by far the best digital implementation of it.

As for this card.. it looks incredibly strong and will be very fun to play with :)

..Cake..

• SelhaizeaSelhaizea Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Indeed i like more heastone cayse you cand o more random plays but Magic is awesome too!
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    MtG:Arena P2W gets old quick...especially if you don't pay lol
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Rhime said:

MtG:Arena P2W gets old quick...especially if you don't pay lol

Well, they have to make money somehow.

The alternative is buying the real cards, like we used to do back in the 90's when Magic:TCG was at it's height.
    [Deleted User]
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    I've been playing Eternal which is very similar to magic.  I have to give them credit for not going nuts with the pay to win stuff.  Being the cheap bastard I am I haven't spent a dime on it and I don't feel like I'm suffering for it.  If you play regularly you really can get any card you want without having to pay real money for it.

How does MTG: Arena compare to that?  
  • odysseus033odysseus033 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited April 2019
    Arena is very good at making you not pay. Daily quests reward 500-750 gold. A pack costs 1000 gold. Weekly quests award 3 packs. Even after all quests are done, each win will get you a random card or a minor amiunt of gold. Each pack you open can have wildcard parts or full wildcard that you can trade for any card in the game. Doing the intro quests also rewards ton of premed themed decks.
    I downloaded it and played through the tutorial quests.
    Played a few matches online to get a basic feel for the game.
    Seems pretty good. Looks like you can put time In without spending a ton and get a decent deck.
    The people who spend big on packs will have an advantage to be sure. But that goes for any CCG.
    I have a ton of mtg card from when i played in the 90s. Some worth a decent amount of money.
    The only problem i have with digital cards is they have no value. And that's why I have been hesitant to spend any money.
    If I spend $100 on actual cards at the store I have a good chance of getting cards that can be sold back, digital not so much.
    There is a very active ccg scene where I live. Might just have to start playing again.
  • RandomInSocietyRandomInSociety Member UncommonPosts: 4

Gorwe said:

I want Commander / EDH.

Me too!
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    jdnewell said:
    I downloaded it and played through the tutorial quests.
    Played a few matches online to get a basic feel for the game.
    Seems pretty good. Looks like you can put time In without spending a ton and get a decent deck.
    The people who spend big on packs will have an advantage to be sure. But that goes for any CCG.
    I have a ton of mtg card from when i played in the 90s. Some worth a decent amount of money.
    The only problem i have with digital cards is they have no value. And that's why I have been hesitant to spend any money.
    If I spend $100 on actual cards at the store I have a good chance of getting cards that can be sold back, digital not so much.
    There is a very active ccg scene where I live. Might just have to start playing again.
    build mono blue or mono red, you can get to the top of the leaderboards with either of those pretty easily and they really don't cost you a lot of wildcards to get going. monoblue is the cheapest when it comes to the amount of rare cards needed.

blue : https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/arena_standard-mono-blue-tempo-75036#arena only 4 rare and extremely good
    red : https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/arena_standard-mono-red-aggro-77378#arena 11 rares and super good aswell

you can build the blue one very quickly and start climbing and winning a lot. makes it very easy and fast to get your daily gold quests.
    Thanks.
    Will give one of those a go
    jdnewell said:
    Thanks.
    no problem ! enjoy the grind :) 
    oh and you can import/export decks easily if you didn't know. on the link i posted, there is an option to 'export to mtg arena', click on that and follow the instructions.
  • radndoradndo Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    MTG’s War of the Spark spoilers just got a little bit more wild with the newest card: Ilharg, the Raze-Boar. This reveal is important because it confirms that we’re getting a cycle of mythic Amonkhet gods. Let’s get into it. Breakdown Ilharg is, simply put, a monster of a card. The post War of the Spark spoilers | Ilharg, the Raze-Boar: Harbinger of the Amonkhet gods appeared first on Daily Esports.
    Source: https://gamenewsninja.com/feeds/media/daily-esports/war-of-the-spark-spoilers-ilharg-the-raze-boar-harbinger-of-the-amonkhet-gods
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    This card is nuts!

Well looks like I'm showing up for the next expansion too. Great implementation of Magic btw for those that like the game. Easily the best digital version to date.
    Gorwe said:
    jdnewell said:
    Thanks.
    I'll have to go against that because netdecking and grinding goes against the very core of MTG. Spontaneous, creative fun is why one should play MTG and that's why I mentioned
    Commander, because it allows that, quite unlike Standard(which is netdeck fest).

Regardless, have fun.
    except that he is playing on mtg arena and for that he needs to make gold through wins to build his collection. he could pay money for that but his first post implies that he is not willing to.
    there aren't many ways to do that in a more efficient manner than netdecking an easy to build deck.
    and if you want to make funky creations after that, you will be able to do it since the deck you are using to get your daily pack allows you to do it in less than an hour and it only cost you less than 10 rare wildcards.

Gorwe said:
    ananit said:
    Gorwe said:
    jdnewell said:
    Thanks.
    I'll have to go against that because netdecking and grinding goes against the very core of MTG. Spontaneous, creative fun is why one should play MTG and that's why I mentioned
    Commander, because it allows that, quite unlike Standard(which is netdeck fest).

Regardless, have fun.
    except that he is playing on mtg arena and for that he needs to make gold through wins to build his collection. he could pay money for that but his first post implies that he is not willing to.
    there aren't many ways to do that in a more efficient manner than netdecking an easy to build deck.
    and if you want to make funky creations after that, you will be able to do it since the deck you are using to get your daily pack allows you to do it in less than an hour and it only cost you less than 10 rare wildcards.

And I keep saying that they need to make the starter decks better. There is no downside to that. There could be one, but there is no winning without risking some, eh?
    you and i both agree on that. the starter decks are awful.

the second most glaring issue imo with mtga is 2 color lands and their rarity.
    these should be the only thing you unlock in your boosters until you have a playset of each one and then back to normal booster rng. or sell a starter pack with all duals for all i care or have land only wildcards. there are plenty of ways to solve this issue.

land scarcity is imo the number one limiter to brewing fun decks, building competitive decks and limiting the feeling of despair when you burn your rare wildcards for the 20 something dual lands you need in your tricolor deck.
    Gorwe
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I would absolutely buy into this if you could buy, sell and trade cards with other players on a digital store connected to the game.

Until they do this, I like my good old card stock that I can do what I want with.

That being said, I haven't bought a single magic card since the Invasion expansion.  I guess that after playing it since middle school when Alpha came out I just got bored eventually.