Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry System Goes Dark in Star Trek Online & Neverwinter - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageFoundry System Goes Dark in Star Trek Online & Neverwinter - MMORPG.com

The Foundry System in Star Trek Online and Neverwinter was a way for players to create and share adventures with their fellow community members since both games debuted. However, as of today, The Foundry has gone dark in both games. Cryptic Studios posted a brief notice and farewell on the STO Facebook page.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    To bad. I played through some excellent player created modules in Neverwinter. It gave a creative outlet to some very talented people!

I always wished more game would put something like that together.

I did spent a lot of time working on a module of my own in Foundry. I never released it. I was never completely happy with it. But I did enjoy working on it
    [Deleted User]druezSovrathbartoni33infomatz
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    You don't pay for other players content and mods, we can't have that in todays gaming can we?
    ColonelLocke
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    DMKano said:
    My favorite was face rolling mobs for ez-xp.

I quit about 2 months post launch so I never saw any cool player created stuff 
    I can see why you would need to cut down on the xp rewards and so on, but the cool player stuff that's what it was all about.
    bartoni33Tokken
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    My favorite was face rolling mobs for ez-xp.

I quit about 2 months post launch so I never saw any cool player created stuff 
    ^Pretty much the reason why all these systems are destined to die.
    5% of the player base (and I'm being very generous there probably) cares about creating cool stuff, the rest just wants to exploit them any way they can for the best rewards.

That being said, I was among those that enjoyed the created content for a while, both on Neverwinter Online and during the old City of Heroes days.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Yeah, the creative content was great, i'm not sure they couldn't have figured a way around the xp exploit but i wonder what other reasons they got away with it.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SwartLodewykSwartLodewyk Member UncommonPosts: 18
    The game is going into maintanace mode in mod 16 (they changed it to make it easy to run with low amount of resources). The foundry takes resources and has to go most resources of Cryptic has to go to MtG MMO they are developing now
    CryomatrixAlverantTokkeninfomatzGorwe
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes i played many user made in NWN and thought the system was not very good.Rearranging furniture is what i call it.
    Playing Atlas i see USER made content and it is actually user made not the same old moved around.It gets boring after a while looking at the same assets,to me it's doesn't matter if you can move them around,they are still the same asset.

Yeah makes sense if going in maintenance mode.I didn't know same operation runs STO and NWN both games are very cheaply designed so it figures.Devs really NEED to start making quality games and not these generic ones with standard questing,linear game play boring combat,it felt like it was designed as a ARPG with only a few choices to click over and over.

Character/class/mobs/world/questing,all felt very ho hum.WE can at least say they tried a small bit to give a different feel to questing but yeah a SIMPLE cost effective way like rearranging the furniture is not going AAA game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    There are some player made cool content using the foundry and the player put a lot of effort to create it, but the most played foundry is used for face rolling waves of mobs for item and exp. I can see why they cut it back, because you can be max level and never played any of the main story content.
    Mendel
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    This isn't the first time they shut down something the other MMOs did. I remember at one point you could log into the game using your web browser and do some of the busy work for crafting remotely. That got shut down too.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116

There are some player made cool content using the foundry and the player put a lot of effort to create it, but the most played foundry is used for face rolling waves of mobs for item and exp. I can see why they cut it back, because you can be max level and never played any of the main story content.

That's kinda true of the regular gameplay sans-foundry any ways. You just queue up and grind.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    From what Cryptic had previously stated, from a STO point, was that the 1 person that knew how to perform the upkeep for the Foundry had moved onto another project & for arond a year Cryptic had debated about closing the Foundry. At least that's Cryptic's story. What type of boss/management would allow that type of situational choke point to happen lol. It is sad to see it closed since it contained a lot of good quality content created by fans/players. Again from the STO point, sorry no idea about the Neverwinter point. The Foundry offered something unique. At least with STO over the last year there's been a lot of Cryptic giving more content as relabeling stuff but Cryptic taking away or hiding content too. Cryptic's recent road map for STO seemed to be pretty good though but then there's the other shoe to drop soon too I'm guessing.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Foundry-type user created content can be very good.  Many, if not most, are as you describe, a short-cut to XP and loot.  Why hasn't a game with UCC tried to do the XP and rewards and let the players do the story content?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Since Cryptic takes so long to add any content and now they are the only source, this pretty much killed both games for me. I actually was actively playing STO at the time they broke the news and then went ahead and uninstalled it. I had planned to give NW a twirl afterwards and had already downloaded it in prep but promptly uninstalled it as well.

Sure, most Foundry missions/adventures were garbage but there were some brilliant ones in there too. Cryptic has been on a steady slide downward in quality for years now so I don't expect anything to change.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I loved the The Foundry for Neverwinter. At the time it was a welcome addition and fun to play other people's creations. Sorry to see it go!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!