Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Has Earned Over $1B in Just Under Four Years

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2019
    And this is why companies do lame p2w . . . Cuz it works.
    The biggest Pay 2 Win things in BDO IMO.

- Bank Spaces
    - Inventory Space
    - Pets
    - Artisans memory

People argue this all the time but the way I see it if you can't afford $100 a month minimum for the game do not bother playing it.
    mmolouUneecorn
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Renoaku said:

- Bank Spaces
    - Inventory Space
    - Pets
    - Artisans memory

People argue this all the time but the way I see it if you can't afford $100 a month minimum for the game do not bother playing it.
    What? I don't get where the 100 a month is coming from. it's 15 a month for the value pack, and I have never had any issues grinding with that enabled. I got 5 pets from the auction house as well, so never had to spend money on those. I'm in decent gear and haven't ever really had issues making money with just the value pack. 
    ThaharmmolouMikehawingoodPhry
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161

Amathe said:

This is great news. Maybe some other companies will start making mmorpgs again.

How is this in any way great news other than for BDO itself? This is what's wrong with what's left of the MMORPG world. As people have already said, all this does is validate P2W game models because it proves that people are stupid enough to engage in P2W microtransactions. So yea, you're probably right that with this news, maybe a few other companies will start making MMOs, but they're not going to be anything but item shop P2W cash grabs. I'd rather have no MMOs than shitty MMOs. Just my opinion.
    ErevusLife2vUneecornGdemami
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135

DMKano said:

The big reasons is they have successfully gotten the core playerbase to spend 1000s of dollars on BDO. 

Even the first year of BDO there was a thread where players posted their payment history screenshots - about $300 per month was not uncommon, there were quite a few that racked up more than 5K in less than a year.

BDO is one of the most expensive games to play for really competitive players - by the time they quit (also another thread where people were totalling all money spent on BDO) $5k-10k was not uncommon in 3 years.

So grats to BDO cash shop team for fleecing the living F out of their players.

That's totally true.
    (it comes from a milked ex-cow)
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Amathe said:
    This is great news. Maybe some other companies will start making mmorpgs again.
    I would say this is not great news for MMORPG's but great news for Mobile game developers making "MMO's" 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I play it casually...I guess i am lucky that I don't feel the need to be the best in video games, just play to have some fun.
    ManWithNoTan
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Who says P2W can't turn a profit! ;)
    UneecornScot

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I love this game and I loved my time trading and doing all the life systems so I am very happy that the game is doing so well.

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    exchange of knowledge:
    eve online to BDO : less content, near no event, let the players do the content, it's suffisant
    BDO to eve online : monetization, nearly no more bots/cheaters bans (free account do that they want with rmt/botting etc)
    and they made huge $$ profit... something wrong
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:

SBFord said:

Varking said:

30% of their money made came from mobile where its not even a world-wide release yet?

That's exactly what I thought too. Who can blame big house developers for wanting to go after mobile dollars? Quick, easy money that ostensibly will fun AAA game development.

But will you continue to fund long term more risky AAA games with the easy money in the long term? Or go with the easy money and leave AAA to the birds? I can't see what's stopping them from saying "Ok with all this mobile money coming in we can start developing the new MMO in a year or two, why bother now, just knock out some more mobile content."
    Ah, come on, they don't 'only' think about the money. There's plenty of execs who do things because they think it's cool and they enjoy it... or are proud of it.

I know it's common on this site to just claim they only care about milking our wallets but it's not true. Loads of developers are passionate and proud and want to do a good job.. want to be liked or respected too. Loads of publishers are like that too. Money is factor, a big one, but it's not the only factor. The people making these games want us to be impressed with their work because they love what they do and there will be plenty of devs and pubs that think mobile games are as crappy as a lot of us do.
    Developers running gaming companies was common back in the days of Ultima, now it is the executives who for me just don't have much passion for gaming. Sure I bet some of them do think its cool to put out another AAA, but the people making the games do not run the company so money is the only bottom line. The only exception we see to this today is indie, not saying somehow indie is better, it has its own problems, but the passion is there.
    IselinGdemamiManWithNoTan
    Renoaku said:

- Bank Spaces
    - Inventory Space
    - Pets
    - Artisans memory

Upgrading weapons and armour is what costs money, unless you have another life that can grind the money required while you get on with yours.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I hope people remember this when they start whining in some other discussion about some other monetization scheme in some other game (as I just read over in the ES Blades thread) about how the poor devs need to eat too... especially when the "devs" -  those who actually do the art and code the games - are not seeing much of this profit anyway since they earn middling salaries.

$1 billion over 4 years is also a drop in the bucket compared to what the real popular games make.

Those old sub games that were all-inclusive and capped your spending @ $150 or so a year are not looking like such a rip-off now are they?

MadFrenchieGdemamiScotSandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    This sucks for mmos....all it does is confirm p2w makes $$$$$$. Don't hate the game...hate the player.
    Whenever you have a competitive game and a way to become more competitive by spending money you will find this. And cheating.
    Stating the obvious. I do blame the games that enable it with p2w, but the players creating a demand for it is the real issue. The games are business, supply and demand rule all else. If players are willing spend tons of cash to have an edge over others this will keep happening. I would like to think otherwise but BDO putting up billions is going to send a message to the industry.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited April 2019
    Awesome, now bring on Project V. ;)
  • IslarosesIslaroses Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Well maybe now that they're closing Shadow Arena, they can redirect those resources into creating PvE experiences to go alongside the competitive PvP gameplay. As a PvE player I played the game extensively for a few thousand hours without ever going into PvP - so the foundations are definitely there for a great experience that'd be unrivaled in the genre.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2019
    SBFord said:
     Quick, easy money that ostensibly will fun AAA game development.
    So why don't you make 75M a year? You know, it is so quick, easy money and all...

/facepalm
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gdemami said:
    SBFord said:
     Quick, easy money that ostensibly will fun AAA game development.
    So why don't you make 75M a year? You know, it is so quick, easy money and all...

/facepalm
    This is what I'm hoping you meant:

MadFrenchieScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    HazenXIII said:
     So yea, you're probably right that with this news, maybe a few other companies will start making MMOs, but they're not going to be anything but item shop P2W cash grabs. I'd rather have no MMOs than shitty MMOs. Just my opinion.
    We will have to wait to see what gets made. It might be P2W. It might not. But if nothing gets made, there is a zero chance of it being anything we might like.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Islaroses said:
    Well maybe now that they're closing Shadow Arena, they can redirect those resources into creating PvE experiences to go alongside the competitive PvP gameplay. As a PvE player I played the game extensively for a few thousand hours without ever going into PvP - so the foundations are definitely there for a great experience that'd be unrivaled in the genre.
    Welcome to our boards! :)
  • TharjaTharja Member CommonPosts: 4
    I have it on pc. Um, but is it ever coming out on the ps4 O.o?
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    DMKano said:
    Scot said:
    Renoaku said:

- Bank Spaces
    - Inventory Space
    - Pets
    - Artisans memory

Upgrading weapons and armour is what costs money, unless you have another life that can grind the money required while you get on with yours.

IMO weapons and armor are "easy" upgrades - up to TRI, even TET is reasonable. With cron stones (for those who have a ton of money to spend melting costumes) - PEN is doable now.

What's hard is accessories especially TET, not even gonna talk about PEN.

And yes by "hard" I do mean ridiculously small RNG chance, even with 300+ FS (yes not kidding someone managed to get their failstack over 300) - PEN accessory attempt was still single digit %
    These Korean crafting systems are soul destroying and created specifically to feed microtransactions, they simply aren't fun to participate in.
    Scot
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Maybe now they have enough money to remove region lock within the same continent?

Tharja said:
    I have it on pc. Um, but is it ever coming out on the ps4 O.o?
    Welcome to the boards! :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited April 2019
    I enjoyed the other aspects of the game but the chase for the better gear never affected me and if it did I too would be miserable. I was more interested in the trading, farming, horse breeding, fishing, worker empire and exploring than PvP.

I think the way Korean games do their gear is simply a pit of woe and it is a chasm that swallows one whole once you get started on it. Best to avoid it all together.
    IselinSovrathcheyane