Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assassins Creed a Tale of Easy Mode

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
edited April 2019 in General Gaming
If you need a solo game franchise to show what's going wrong with the difficulty of games it is AC. Now I will be honest, I have only played every game up to Syndicate, maybe they had a huge turn around, but I won't hold my breathe for you to tell me they did.

From the ever easier combat to not being pursued onto rooftops, from police not being around to investigate assignation's to gauntlet rope devices to get you round a city more quickly. Easy, easier and easiest is the hallmark of gaming today. I feel I am playing a story in AC now not an adventure game, I can't lose.

Difficulty? They don't even bother with a difficulty level, that shows you how irrelevant they think a contest between player and game is.

Will I continue with the series? Not sure, I only play one a year so won't make that decision until 2020. I will pick something "harder" for my next game among the sea of easy mode that gaming has become.
Gdemami

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2019
    With Assassin's Creed Origins the series did turn a corner. What AC was and what the series is now are totally different games. They are action rpgs now full on. As for difficult? No. It is a mainstream experience. For better or for worse. I think Origins and Odyssey are great games and better than any AC games before them. 

As far as challenge goes,play Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Awesome game. 
    So we got more action RPG not action adventure, I assume like every other action RPG out there? That's a point for another thread, all games must be played the same way, I assume Shadow of Mordor gameplay got a look in, you can't make an action RPG without some of that?

Must all games be made the same way? I love an action RPG but AC had its own niche, from what you have said it has had to bow to "player expectations" which is just an excuse for gaming companies to maximise the player base of those who might buy it. In reality the game sounds like it had to bow to the expectations of players who do not play it, which in a nutshell is the history of gaming to date.

I have S:SDT on my to buy list. Would you say that S:SDT is not a mainstream game? Not looked into it that much, that will be done just before I press to buy. My point here is that 'mainstream' is being defined by what gaming companies put out, not but what players want to play.

Should point out when I call for more difficulty I am not asking for one shot player death and no saves here. Just in opposition to the boring walkthrough so many games have become.
    [Deleted User]
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    As @blueturtle13 said, AC:Origins and AC:Odyssey, especially Odysey, are probably more to your liking than some of the AC games directly before them. It is definitely more RPG than earlier titles but still an adventure game. The fully open world helps add to this as well, you can go anywhere you want once you get your ship, but you need to be careful or you'll wind up dead a lot.

I had begun to grow bored with the series but Odyssey really changed that, It really is an excellent game.
    SBFordlaseritScot[Deleted User]Palebane

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I skipped everything after Black Flag until Origins. Origins is a great game, Odyssey more so. Just make sure you play on the harder skill levels because default is much too easy.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    With Assassin's Creed Origins the series did turn a corner. What AC was and what the series is now are totally different games. They are action rpgs now full on. As for difficult? No. It is a mainstream experience. For better or for worse. I think Origins and Odyssey are great games and better than any AC games before them. 

As far as challenge goes,play Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Awesome game. 
    meh sekiro like all souls games the difficulty is just overblow, the games are not hard, is all about timming mostly, and hell on dark souls 2 and 3 you don't even need to parry
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    laserit said:
    I skipped everything after Black Flag until Origins. Origins is a great game, Odyssey more so. Just make sure you play on the harder skill levels because default is much too easy.
    Black Flag is the best AC game up to Syndicate, even taking into account all the extra easy mode it had on board.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Your subject line uses the word "mode" so does that mean you have the option to make it harder if you want? If so, why are you complaining? Are you mad that other people are enjoying the game they bought differently than you?
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    The one problem I have with Odyssey is you don't really feel like a stealthy assassin anymore, you're more of a warrior who's good at hiding.
    Scot
    edited April 2019
    Alverant said:
    Your subject line uses the word "mode" so does that mean you have the option to make it harder if you want? If so, why are you complaining? Are you mad that other people are enjoying the game they bought differently than you?

The term easy mode is well known to indicate a way of designing games, maybe I have that wrong?

You can't change the level of difficulty no, but of course I am mad other people are enjoying the game differently from me as that makes perfect sense...somewhere. Just not in the real world. :)
    Siris23 said:
    The one problem I have with Odyssey is you don't really feel like a stealthy assassin anymore, you're more of a warrior who's good at hiding.

Well there goes Assassins Creed's uniqueness, because feeling like a warrior who is good at hiding is hardly novel. But if you want to appeal to as many customers as possible uniqueness is not wanted. What you need to have is a cherry pick of gameplay based on what market research says people want to play, which is turn is based on what's out there so the answer is always going to be...the norm gameplay wise.
    Scot said:
    Siris23 said:

Well there goes Assassins Creed's uniqueness, because feeling like a warrior who is good at hiding is hardly novel. But if you want to appeal to as many customers as possible uniqueness is not wanted. What you need to have is a cherry pick of gameplay based on what market research says people want to play, which is turn is based on what's out there so the answer is always going to be...the norm gameplay wise.
    What I like about the last two titles is the freedom, you can play any way you want.

You can go stealth or all out warrior the choice is up to you.
    [Deleted User]Palebane

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

laserit said:
    Scot said:
    Siris23 said:

What I like about the last two titles is the freedom, you can play any way you want.

You can go stealth or all out warrior in Syndicate or Black Flag. Admittedly going all out warrior in the first games was tricky. Or are you saying the stealth is more like Deus Ex, much more stealthier?
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited April 2019
    I'm not particularly skilled (I play mmorpgs after all), but Assassin Creed Odyssey difficulty was set from ludicrously easy to normal difficult (despite named legendary or something similar). On the highest difficulty it is possible to lose a conflict if you are way too greedy or pull way too many enemies or do way too many mistakes. In every other difficulty you can breeze through the game by spamming the right mouse button and abilities when they pop up.

Especially as a warrior.

On the last Farcry on the other hand I kept the difficulty to what the game considers normal, not because the higher difficulties are actual difficult, but because the enemies are bullet sponges and the game "cheats" more the more you crank up the difficulty setting.
    Scot
    Scot said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    Siris23 said:

You can go stealth or all out warrior in Syndicate or Black Flag. Admittedly going all out warrior in the first games was tricky. Or are you saying the stealth is more like Deus Ex, much more stealthier?
    The stealth is all Assassins Creed. There is a skill tree where you spend points on warrior, archer and a mix of other skills and bonuses. Assassin skills are picked up in the story missions. Late game you can put points in individual stats.

The games combat is definitely taking a lot of inspiration from Shadow of Mordor/War and is very similar. Animations are first class.

I agree with Xasapisin to a point. The combat becomes easier with the gear you end up acquiring which the game showers you with. I found playing on hard difficulty was a good balance for me. The regular baddies were no problem but there were quite a number of challenging encounters. Nothing that gave me too much trouble where I was stuck and couldn't progress. I'll have to try the legendary difficulty :)

I don't finish a lot of games, Odyssey had me hooked the whole way through, bought the seasons pass after completing the game. 

edited April 2019
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    Siris23 said:

The stealth is all Assassins Creed. There is a skill tree where you spend points on warrior, archer and a mix of other skills and bonuses. Assassin skills are picked up in the story missions. Late game you can put points in individual stats.

The games combat is definitely taking a lot of inspiration from Shadow of Mordor/War and is very similar. Animations are first class.

I agree with Xasapisin to a point. The combat becomes easier with the gear you end up acquiring which the game showers you with. I found playing on hard difficulty was a good balance for me. The regular baddies were no problem but there were quite a number of challenging encounters. Nothing that gave me too much trouble where I was stuck and couldn't progress. I'll have to try the legendary difficulty :)

I don't finish a lot of games, Odyssey had me hooked the whole way through, bought the seasons pass after completing the game. 
    Sounds too easy, but then by the time of Syndicate it already was. I assume you can eventually get every skill, we can't have someone thinking they have made a mistake and wanting to repick them?

From what I have heard Odyssey is a fine game but if you make any game too easy it will spoil it, sounds like I will have to play "legendary" to get a feel for competition rather than a walkthrough.
    Scot said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    Siris23 said:

Sounds too easy, but then by the time of Syndicate it already was. I assume you can eventually get every skill, we can't have someone thinking they have made a mistake and wanting to repick them?

From what I have heard Odyssey is a fine game but if you make any game too easy it will spoil it, sounds like I will have to play "legendary" to get a feel for competition rather than a walkthrough.
    You can adjust the difficulty of the game by the gear you wear. Some of the gear is way too overpowered in my opinion. 

No matter what difficulty level you choose I'm sure you will find the game very enjoyable.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I really enjoy Odyssey and it's a great experience.  I had given up on that series.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey