Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Looking for a Reason to Play - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: Looking for a Reason to Play - MMORPG.com

One of my biggest struggles with World of Warcraft currently is finding stuff to do outside of raiding. I’m pretty much wholly unmotivated when it comes to everything outside the realm of raiding; which is depressing when you consider I was fully engaged throughout Legion. I never felt the grind of leveling my artifact weapons, I was pretty much always enjoying doing what I wanted to get that done. As I’m sitting here waiting for 8.2 I’m wondering, why does everything feel so difficult this time around?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    WoW went full on Raid or die formally with Timeless Isle back in MOP when you could freely collect epic gear from random chests that was far better than anything pre-raid thus making obsolete any and all max level content that was not raids.
    GregorMcgregor
  • WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited April 2019
    Sounds like it's time for a new character. I never thought I'd like to play a rogue chasing people around, but they have a talent that increases your melee range... I have a nice computer, GTA V, FF XIV, and more, but I soon go back to playing World of Warcraft, the ultimate game, yet to be beaten. Maybe if Bungie still had Halo or Lionhead still had Fable...
    GregorMcgregor
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Legion was sooooooo much better than BFA. Can't put a finger on it either, I just know it is.
    GregorMcgregorKlikae
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This is why I am playing Classic and nothing else until games like CU or Ashes come out.  Classic the game was way more in-depth and there was way more to do.
    mike32927
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    WoW has been changed so much it's no longer the game I once loved.

I think that Wrath of the Lich king was the last great expansion. Since then, it's just been downhill in my opinion.
    XarkoFacelessSaviorLheiahTuor7metarealManWithNoTanGregorMcgregorKlikae
    Margrave said:

I think that Wrath of the Lich king was the last great expansion. Since then, it's just been downhill in my opinion.
    WOTLK had good content no doubt.  BUT it changed the game into what it is today.   10 minute AOE dungeons to make casual players happy.  The 4 different Raid tiers.   Trying to cater to the I HAVE A JOB SO HAND ME WELFARE EPICS crowd.   No TBC was the best Expansion.  It made new content for players who didnt want to raid, also with 10 man raiding it allowed more players to get into raiding, and content was not mind numbing.  
    [Deleted User]laseritManWithNoTanmike32927GregorMcgregorinfomatz
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    danwest58 said:
    Margrave said:

WOTLK had good content no doubt.  BUT it changed the game into what it is today.   10 minute AOE dungeons to make casual players happy.  The 4 different Raid tiers.   Trying to cater to the I HAVE A JOB SO HAND ME WELFARE EPICS crowd.   No TBC was the best Expansion.  It made new content for players who didnt want to raid, also with 10 man raiding it allowed more players to get into raiding, and content was not mind numbing.  
    TBC introduced linear, zone-by-zone questing and the transition from vanilla to TBC was god awful making pre-Outland content worthless.

Besides this, TBC was indeed a good addition to WoW. Wish it was better connected to the original game, tho.
    GregorMcgregorinfomatz
    deniter said:
    danwest58 said:
    Margrave said:

TBC introduced linear, zone-by-zone questing and the transition from vanilla to TBC was god awful making pre-Outland content worthless.

Besides this, TBC was indeed a good addition to WoW. Wish it was better connected to the original game, tho.
    Yea but TBC didnt make Group content into a 10 minute treadmill you ran every day.   
    GregorMcgregor
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    They destroyed most of the classes. Youll have a whopping 5 to 7 offensive skills by 110 and that's it. Youll spam the same 3 offensive skills over and over on a rogue until your 60s.
    It's trash and ill never come back. I cannot stand that idiots ruined this game by whining about having too many options for their character's advancement and skill sets.

GregorMcgregorTinkerBellCommando
  • GalgorothGalgoroth Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2019
    I've found great enjoyment in playing in an Altoholic fashion. However, it's probably not for everyone. I level a class, pick a favorite spec, then learn it up to 120. Once I hit max level, I go up to maybe 350-375 ilvl, then reroll to another spec. Once I learn them all to a good proficiency, I roll another class. Dabble in M+, it's great fun and a nice way to test how good you are at your class. I've played boatloads of classes and specs and learned a ton about WoW on both factions. There is an astronomical amount of stuff to learn if you are willing to not only play a "main". I don't care about Heart of Azeroth farming, rep farming, or grinding for titanforged gear. Sucks all the fun out of it, but that's just me. If you're feeling bored, give this a try.
    mike32927ArleeWicasa
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    a reason to play wow? none, there are better games, and again I don't get it, why waste your time on forcing you to play games you don't want?
    Margraveinfomatz
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200

a reason to play wow? none, there are better games, and again I don't get it, why waste your time on forcing you to play games you don't want?

This.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Ion just needs to step down.
    SBFord
  • AlusciaAluscia Member UncommonPosts: 39
    They need to figure out a different gameplay loop. We've had what, 3 or 4 expansions of the "go to the table, do some asynchronous missions to get stuff" idea? 3 expansions of some iteration of World Quests? While I don't think they need to get rid of the latter, they need to reassess how people want to advance and give people who want to commit a larger chunk of contiguous time (like say, 1-2 hours at once) a way to advance that isn't just exhausting all the smaller 5-30 minute pieces all in one sitting. Raids are one way they're doing this, M+ was supposed to be another way. Could they maybe take a page out of Rift's book with solo raid "scenarios"? Make it a similar run-time, but have the rewards be AP/cosmetic that's consistent with what you'd get chaining WQs or whatever for that length of time. No new assets required (raid assets already exist), just balance passes to ensure all classes can complete.

That's just one idea of many they could try. Either way, they need to figure out new and interesting ways to engage players for the reward loop. The fatigue people are feeling is because the same tried and true methods are still in use, years later, just with different names and skins.
    mike32927
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    I played Borderlands 2 for one day an it was actually fun,i found some of the humor/one liners enjoyable,the characters were enjoyable had great personalities.The game is not a AAA game but it did what i wanted,it gave me something to be positive about and having FUN is a good thing.
    This is Blizzard's mistake in every game i played by them,they don't do anything well.

Maybe that is why the term often used "casual" game play casual game designer seems to fit Blizzard very well.I am not a superficial gamer,i do not simply want to chase loot around all game.i o not want to chase yellow markers around all game,i like to feel like it is MY game,my choices.

When games make me feel like a kindergarten child tied to a leash so they don't get lost,that game is just boring 101.
    Blizzard is not alone,i see many bigger devs can't get it right either,it always feels like casual and boring fit perfectly together.i know a lot of people that is what they want and i get it but for me, i am paying ongoing costs to play a game,i want something special and unique not just casual ho hum same old same old.
    If Wow was actually even just FUN,i could get into for a short time but nothing is fun,not the classes,not the combat and not the way the world is laid out or even the automated mob placement in the world.

Blizzard simple does not have the leader or the system teams to make a game i want to play.There is no ONE fix or even two,Wow needs a LOT of work to make it fun for me.I don't even need FUN,i could go for UNIQUE,challenging,DEEP system designs,secret stuff idk just give me something that is positive.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    play ESO.
    SBFordMargrave
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• shadyjane63shadyjane63 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Went back for a Classic game in another game. It was great for two months till everyone just faded away. You can't go back. In wow I left after 6 years went back for a year at Legion.

WoW is now just a gated waste of time.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    I may propose only one logic argument:
    -relive the content without rush.

In Lotro I did the same. Played Champion, reached endgame - gosh, how boring. Rolled Minstrel, reached endgame - oh, that's better...still endgame went boring grind. Rolled Hunter, now really enjoying content (even if I do know what would happen), even thinking about xp-disabler.

OP could use this approach.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It started going down hill when bc greens were better than T3
    Margrave

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    You shouldn't need a reason to play... if you need one, you're just throwing money at Blizzard because you can.  Quite frankly, the majority of those who still play WoW, do so out of habit, not because they really care to.  

Recurring subscriptions... a mint for Blizzard because most people can't even be bothered with paying as they play... and often forget that they are still paying for a game they aren't really even playing.  It's like leaving the water running in your sink.  Funny thing is, you notice when your water bill goes up so you turn off the water.  You don't notice a game fee that has always been there and never changes, so you don't question it.  And you thought they kept sub fees the same rate because they cared about you... they know you'd cancel if it ever changed because you'd notice that increase... they bank on the fact that you don't see an increase.

Don't look for a reason to play... look for a reason as to why you think you need a reason to play.  Instead of leveling yet another character in a different skin... ask yourself why you don't use that time for something else... like kick boxing or hang gliding or gardening or a whole host of other things that later on in your life you will have wished you had taken up but put off until it was far too late.

This is an opportunity.  

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    edited April 2019
    Wow is dead, much less than 1m subs Ff14 has way more
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2019
    rush1984 said:
    Wow is dead, much less than 1m subs Ff14 has way more
    And the metrics you are using? Because I've seen an article indicating World of Warcraft had ~7 million and that Final Fantasy 14 has ~1 million.

This indicates World of Warcraft has daily 3.5 million players and Final Fantasy has little over a million

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo