Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you a victim of continue playing or loose progress?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
Is this an acceptable gameplay style or leeching gimmick?  Once you get your foot in, aggressive schemes to keep you playing.  Are we victims or do we know what we are getting ourselves in for?

ESO - buy our next DLC or you wont be able to keep up with other players.  Play daily.  Do dailies.

Ark Survival - our mulitplayer mode can't hold everyone so if you don't log and put your best effort land pets n progress gone!  Play daily.  Grind "happily?"

Note I'm not bashing.  These games are my favs.  But I wonder if I like this legit or if I'm a masochist?  This goes beyond "the grind is real."  I'm thinking games with actual, almost subversive, tactics that keep players logging in; turning down real life activities because we will "loose progress" / "loose all our stuff" / "loose our online friends."

Should online games be designed to keep their clients away from other games or real life?  Should there be a warning label?   "THIS GAME IS HAZARDOUS TO ANY ACTIVITY OTHER THAN THIS GAME."

Rephrased, there are mmos you cannot set down for a few months and come back to later.  The loss of progress to you in the game would be to great making it not worth returning.  Once you start playing you are trapped.  Log in or loose it all.

[Deleted User]CaffynatedGdemami

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Most mmorpgs have you risk "falling behind" in some way if your buddies game on, night after night, while you play more moderately. 

You just have to accept that your playtime is your playtime, and enjoy what you can accomplish during it. Someone else will always be "ahead." 
    MendelGorweAlBQuirkyAgent_Joseph

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284

Should online games be designed to keep their clients away from other games or real life?  Should there be a warning label?   "THIS GAME IS HAZARDOUS TO ANY ACTIVITY OTHER THAN THIS GAME."

Better question:  Do you really think warning labels help in any way at all?  Last time I checked, everything that has even the slightest potential to cause anyone harm has a warning label on it and people still do/eat/smoke those things.

People do things like you mention largely because it is an addiction or force of habit.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    We call it "keeping up with the Joneses"
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    OP, you come up with a title like this and then list ESO....what??? What exactly is there to 'keep up with' in a game like ESO. Hell, what is there to even 'keep up with' in games like WoW and FFXIV where you literally can't get left behind unless you just dont play at all. With ESO, you can take a quest set of gear to legendary without ever setting foot in a single dungeon/raid. WoW and FFXIV continuously have 'catch-up' mechanics along side 'fresh raid cycles.' The funny thing, people complain about 'getting left behind' then get caught up, do the current 'content' and then get bored after since all you do is repeat it until the next cycle. There's honestly no reward without urgency.
    Steelhelm
  • adam77adam77 Newbie CommonPosts: 0
    OP, you come up with a title like this and then list ESO....what??? What exactly is there to 'keep up with' in a game like ESO. Hell, what is there to even 'keep up with' in games like WoW and FFXIV where you literally can't get left behind unless you just dont play at all. With ESO, you can take a quest set of gear to legendary without ever setting foot in a single dungeon/raid. WoW and FFXIV continuously have 'catch-up' mechanics along side 'fresh raid cycles.' The funny thing, people complain about 'getting left behind' then get caught up, do the current 'content' and then get bored after since all you do is repeat it until the next cycle. There's honestly no reward without urgency.

[Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    90% of the games on the market today dont leave people behind, people just fall into this illusion that they can't stay 'relevant' if they're not doing xyz without seeing that those activities are always reset ever 3-6 months.

WoW is the perfect example. You didn't need to set a single foot into Uldir in order to be able to raid BfD even if you were a brand new character simply because the game throws so many 'catch up' mechanics at you. FFXIV works the same way via their tomestone system.

The only advantage someone who is 'current' has over someone who isn't is just reaching the stop-gap faster. No one has to do previous patch content in order to do the current and if they do (again using wow) the content is just scaled up to make it stay 'relevant' so you literally can't be left behind unless you never play.

I kind of feel bad for those that have been out of the mmorpg scene and try to get back in thinking things are still the same when everything you do in these mmorpgs dont even really matter whether you've been playing all along or jump in at the end of an expansion anymore.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I dont think I'm victim of that... at least not to noteworthy degrees.

If a game bores me, a game bores me. I'll leave. End of story.

Guild Wars for example had bored me to tears within three days.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I"m fine with Elder Scrolls Online selling the next DLC but not allowing players who haven't purchased no access.

What's the problem? You want to experience an area you can pay for it. I see no issue.

I don't ever do dailies because "why?" I play to enjoy myself. If "dailies" were fun I'd do them.

Anyone who is playing to keep up but not enjoying themselves is doing themselves a disservice. They should stop and do something else.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't mind the treadmill if the game is fun or the people I play with are fun to play with.

It's a genre developed around keeping people playing, they have to have loops in game or things to progress towards or the population will slowly go away. 
    AlBQuirky
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Is this an acceptable gameplay style or leeching gimmick?  Once you get your foot in, aggressive schemes to keep you playing.  Are we victims or do we know what we are getting ourselves in for?

ESO - buy our next DLC or you wont be able to keep up with other players.  Play daily.  Do dailies.

Ark Survival - our mulitplayer mode can't hold everyone so if you don't log and put your best effort land pets n progress gone!  Play daily.  Grind "happily?"

Note I'm not bashing.  These games are my favs.  But I wonder if I like this legit or if I'm a masochist?  This goes beyond "the grind is real."  I'm thinking games with actual, almost subversive, tactics that keep players logging in; turning down real life activities because we will "loose progress" / "loose all our stuff" / "loose our online friends."

Rephrased, there are mmos you cannot set down for a few months and come back to later.  The loss of progress to you in the game would be to great making it not worth returning.  Once you start playing you are trapped.  Log in or loose it all.
    saying you are a victim means you are not at fault, you are not the one to blame for your own decision, with is false, and a lie to make yourself feel better, hardly the ones who play victim card is a victim, they choose it, but then don't have any control then they blame others for his own decision.

so no, no one is a victim, this things happen because a lot of idiots choose to support this kind of payment model

and serious complain you have to play teh game everyday to have progress? you know half of our problems is because some prefer to open his wallet then play the game right
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited April 2019
    "adam77 said:
    OP, you come up with a title like this and then list ESO....what??? What exactly is there to 'keep up with' in a game like ESO. Hell, what is there to even 'keep up with' in games like WoW and FFXIV where you literally can't get left behind unless you just dont play at all. With ESO, you can take a quest set of gear to legendary without ever setting foot in a single dungeon/raid. WoW and FFXIV continuously have 'catch-up' mechanics along side 'fresh raid cycles.' The funny thing, people complain about 'getting left behind' then get caught up, do the current 'content' and then get bored after since all you do is repeat it until the next cycle. There's honestly no reward without urgency."

Welcome to the boards Adam77! :smile: 

You are a genuine first, in that although I am reading your post you show as having zero posts!