Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpace Opinion: Bioware's Unsustainable Incompetence - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGameSpace Opinion: Bioware's Unsustainable Incompetence - MMORPG.com News

In the latest editorial at GameSpace.com, Poorna Shankar takes on the recent happenings with BioWare with regard to Anthem's Development. He examines Kotaku's well-researched article about the difficulties and issues inside BioWare while Anthem was being developed as well as provides his thoughts on BioWare's response to the article.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

UngoodMadFrenchieGdemami

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Bioware hasn't released a competent game in 7 years. The absurdity of that speaks for itself and it is amazing that the studio hasn't been shuttered already.
    alkarionlogOctagon7711
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Aeander said:
    Bioware hasn't released a competent game in 7 years. The absurdity of that speaks for itself and it is amazing that the studio hasn't been shuttered already.
    Not releasing a good game in years, and riding your previous successes to longevity are two totally different things.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    finally someone called then what they are
    AlverantGdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    "Bioware's incompetence"?

Tell you what why don't we advise the big gaming companies like EA to have a separate brand name team behind every release. That way it is never going to be down to EA's incompetence.
    Kyleran
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have to face the fact that the old Bioware is gone and I don't know this company. 
    Alverant[Deleted User][Deleted User]Thahargastovski1Tuor7RexKushmanRoinTacticalZombehinfomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    How about Blizzard? Don't pick on just one company when it comes to profit over quality folks. AFAIC pretty much the whole AAA industry is a shitshow ATM.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Driving people as hard as possible in very lean environments is not just a gaming industry problem. It is everywhere in this day and age. My wife works stupid hours all in the name of a lean environment at a large company which rakes in money by the barrels. She is an accountant and we rarely see her before 8pm each night and even then gets constant texts and phone calls.

Acting like this is a gaming industry only problem is false. That being said the game is in poor shape and BW days are numbered I believe because the bad press has been there for years and it is just not getting better. A mediocre MMO, under performing ME game, and a less than well received DA game later and this is what we have.

I'd like to offer a friendly observation that your wife's predicament "might" just be choice? My girlfriend made easy into 6 figures at a major company where it wouldn't be beyond the pale to work until 11 pm or beyond.

It was killing her. So she found a job making less money but she is MUCH more happy now and can essentially get out at 5 pm. just a thought.

As far as Bioware is concerned, that is also a sort of choice. I think they fight with a bit of arrogance that they are "Bioware" and they have to come through with something great but then have to contend with bad management that then drives their employees to a horrible state and they just can't make it happen.

I would say that it probably "mostly" stems from management/EA Management.

[Deleted User]infomatz
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Todays Anthem Patch joke !

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/patch-10401

looks like 6 bug  fixes, 3 of which were caused by there last patch. kinda of looks like 1 days work to me. 
    Roin[Deleted User]infomatz
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    So basically someone published another article to pile onto the original article. So this website published a post to pile onto that. Kinda like click here if you want to pile on too kinda article. I see all these articles and links to articles as simply click bait not really adding anything at all.

One poster said that the overworking isn't just a game industry problem and that is the truth. One person said it is by choice but when you have to survive especially economically you go with the best choice and sometimes that choice has its very own problems.
    Sovrathkoldmiser

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    So basically someone published another article to pile onto the original article. So this website published a post to pile onto that. Kinda like click here if you want to pile on too kinda article. I see all these articles and links to articles as simply click bait not really adding anything at all.
    ...yep, typical yellow press.
    [Deleted User]RexKushmanAeanderTacticalZombeh
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Gdemami said:
    I am starting to think you see the world in yellow.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Gdemami said:
    I am starting to think you see the world in yellow.
    Actually, he just sees the floor. As is expected of Andrew Wilson's footstool. 
    MadFrenchieGobstopper3D[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Well, what did you think was going to happen when EA bought Bioware?  One of EA's major strategies is to buy a well-regarded studio, milk their reputation for having done good stuff in the past until they no longer have a positive reputation, and then shut them down.  Did you think this time was going to be any different?
    Scot
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Quizzical said:
    Well, what did you think was going to happen when EA bought Bioware?  One of EA's major strategies is to buy a well-regarded studio, milk their reputation for having done good stuff in the past until they no longer have a positive reputation, and then shut them down.  Did you think this time was going to be any different?
    At some point I would hope they would want to be known for something other than FIFA and actually attempt to be a major player again but I suppose that is wishful thinking.  If they ever outlaw the ultimate team packs like loot boxes in parts of the world then FIFA would not be the major player it is either.

If they had the same licensing I actually prefer Pro Evolution over FIFA anyway.
    That's the other major part of EA's business model:  buy exclusive licenses to popular IPs, so that if you want to play a game based on some particular IP, you have to buy it from EA.  That way, you'll buy games from EA without regard to whether they're any good.
    GdemamiScot
  • CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65
    It is so sad to see Bioware going out this way. They are like Norma Desmond coming down that staircase, thinking all those bright police lights are cameras.
    [Deleted User]Sovrathinfomatz