Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race a sub class

I wish race really made a big difference on how we played.  Like if you are a huge troll you should be able to deal and take a lot of damage but you are slower in movement and attack speed.  Great regeneration but a bad weakness to fire. Can see infrared at night.  

I know balance consideration come into play.  But I would just like to see diversity with race come into play.  For example maybe one race is attuned with nature where they get power from the forest, open hidden forest groves, talk to animals and degrees of natural magic no matter the class.  One attunded with magic that can see magical creatures, understand magic/ancient writings, magic in all classes and technology.  One with spirits that can see and speak to the dead, summon spirits and draw on power of the realm of the dead.  And so on.

These would change how the characters see the world based on race. One of those things aren't all directly related to combat but can make game play immersive and add depth.  
HatefullChildoftheShadowsGorwe4507AlBQuirkyOctagon7711SteelhelmEronakis

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I agree 100%. Unfortunately, I believe the competition between players is too great and devs get too many complaints of the imbalances and that's why we ended up with cookie cutter races and skills.
    HatefullVermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyOctagon7711
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I agree with this. I would like it a lot better if ALL decisions made a difference in a game. From race to weapon choice, equipment, and journey decisions.

I kind of wish I was good at art, programming, and the few thousand other things I would need to know in order to make a game. Oh and had a few million dollars laying around to use for making said game. Sadly, by the time I had the requisite knowledge (and millions), I would most likely have forgotten why I was learning in the first place.
    Vermillion_RaventhalMrMelGibsonOctagon7711

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    I agree with this. I would like it a lot better if ALL decisions made a difference in a game. From race to weapon choice, equipment, and journey decisions.

I kind of wish I was good at art, programming, and the few thousand other things I would need to know in order to make a game. Oh and had a few million dollars laying around to use for making said game. Sadly, by the time I had the requisite knowledge (and millions), I would most likely have forgotten why I was learning in the first place.
    Just focus on the millions, you can pay others for their skills :D
    HatefullVermillion_Raventhal
    If the game has PVP tack on another 150% increase in balance complaints.
    HatefullMrMelGibsonOctagon7711Eronakis
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    You could make a race choice fill the role that class choice has commonly filled in the past.  But if race and class are chosen independently and both greatly affect your character, that's probably going to be impossible to balance.  Some race/class choices are going to be a lot better than others because the racial bonuses for this class are hugely beneficial to one class and useless to another.
    AlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Quizzical said:
    You could make a race choice fill the role that class choice has commonly filled in the past.  But if race and class are chosen independently and both greatly affect your character, that's probably going to be impossible to balance.  Some race/class choices are going to be a lot better than others because the racial bonuses for this class are hugely beneficial to one class and useless to another.
    I would the classes would have to be molded around the races.  For example a troll warrior would be a berserker that uses its regeneration vs. gnome warrior is a quick warrior that uses shield magic tech that gives it extra life like Halo. While a wood elf is a warden that excels in the forest.  
    Quizzical said:
    I would the classes would have to be molded around the races.  For example a troll warrior would be a berserker that uses its regeneration vs. gnome warrior is a quick warrior that uses shield magic tech that gives it extra life like Halo. While a wood elf is a warden that excels in the forest.  
    In that case, each race/class combination is itself a new class.
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    In that case, each race/class combination is itself a new class.
    It would be anyways.  I think tailoring would give less favor. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Problem is people will be like, if you want to mix max, you havw to do this combo and other people who are pure role players wouldnt like it.

So the happy middle, is to make small and likely insignificant race boosts which cater to one person.

Another way to do it, is perhaps make half-trolls vs pure trolls, where one has more boost. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Might be better to have two races good at each thing to have more choice.
    While I like racial bonuses to mean something in a game, I've always felt it was silly that every member of a race had the exact same benefits. You don't get that in real life.
    The average difference between different races of humans tends to be much smaller than we imagine would be the average difference between humans, orcs, and gnomes.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited April 2019
    A system like this would more likely be made for a single player RPG. I'd love to see it in an MMO, but I'm doubtful I ever will.
    AlBQuirky
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    It cound end in few perfect setups. Example: for dps, roll Troll berserker; for tanking role Gnome Shield-maiden; for healer roll Fairy Drunkard; for crowd control roll half-elven Butcher. Rest races/sublasses - inferior to these 4, so almost nobody plays them.
    Result: hours of work, thousands of $ invested into other races are almost trashed, because perfect dps is still Troll berserker.
    Choice 1:nerf best race-class combinations, anger users;
    Chocie 2: deal with financial loses.

Almost lose-lose combination.
    AlBQuirky
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    It worked well for eq1 in the beginning but by the time "end game" came, with all the stats and armor bonuses it became pointless. In the early lvls though it did help out.

Nowadays you get people who want everything for everyone so it wont work for a mass appeal game. I thought it gives more importance to choice and makes you really think about which race/class combo to go for.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    Yes OP i think all the true rpg game's want differences but as some mentioned the problem is balance.Obviously balance doesn't matter in PVE and again why i don't like balancing a game just to cater to pvp.

There is one difference i often don't mention and that is when unbalanced it can cause strife among certain classes not getting invites.So imagine you are a tank using your example ,faster regen then some other tank has slower regen.
    All you need though is choice,various types of mobs so various types of classes can all find a role within the game.
    FFXi was on such a good track but never went far enough so also suffered from the unbalance of classes and groups.All that game needed was the same for any game trying to be better and that is offer up various  player>player combos.So a group is not going to care if you regen less than another tank if you have another benefit such as perhaps your special attacks when combo'd wit the right class boost the parties attack by 10%,perhaps the combo creates an effect that boosts incoming heals by 10%.If you create enough variation in the design within combat/race/class nobody is going to dissect it down to minute differences when there are so many other benefits.

We already have slight differences in games as  is and nobody complains and that if playing a tiny player you have a tougher time seeing than a tall racial player.Using FFXI as an example the game had a LOT of classes,so if for example a galka and a Taru had a massive difference in mana itwas made up for by the Galka having way more Hit points.So then some would complain about the tiny Taru not being able to play as a good tank.Well i feel if your game has 20 classes you SHOULD be able to find some value and fun with your characters design and will ALWAYS have benefits the others don't have so it balances out and just gives characters way more identity when they are actually different as they should be.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    You will never see this in a game going forward most likely. 

Here is the reason:  Balance, complaints about not being able to do everything, PVP, ect....

To many people think every game has to be completely balanced.  That all characters should be able to do the same things. 

Hell look at what happened to even WoW.  When it first launched if you picked a tank that is all you really were good for.  If you picked a healer you didn't try and go out and do damage, you healed.  You needed someone to sneak up and control a mob you took class that did that.  Not like that today. 

Now throw in something like a racial trait and the flood gates start opening because of course everyone is going to follow that cookie cutter build with the same races you know because they have better damage abilities.  Just look at all the complaints on the ESO forums and the changes they have had to make because of racials over the years.

The OP's idea is one that many people want, myself included, but they would never make it out of the gates of development because to many would most likely do what they do to every game that comes out now. 

They would say I need this class to do this, this race to do this, oh this game has to be focused around PVP...they wouldn't let the dev make the game they wanted to make.  Instead you would get the same old crap we get every game now where everyone is a god at everything.
    I think some of this could be solved by making the games about more than combat.  Suppose a troll is the best warrior.  But he is actually treated like a troll.  No normalized citiy access.slow moving, limited skills and crafting, weak against mind and fire attacks.  Plus and minuses can go a long way.
    Hatefull
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    While I like racial bonuses to mean something in a game, I've always felt it was silly that every member of a race had the exact same benefits. You don't get that in real life. What I think would be better is a birthright system, where players can pick benefits based on how their character grew up. IE character A worked as a miner, or stone mason, or blacksmith, so he's extra strong, character B was a scholar or mage's apprentice so he's smarter, etc. There could still be racial variables, elves have the highest dex, orcs or trolls, the highest str, dwarves to higest con, etc. But with a birthright system it would let players tailor their toon to their tastes without having a choice of a race or two to play how they want. Shadowbane had a system kind of like that.
    I have to ask... How many Orcs, Trolls, Elves, Gnomes, etc have you met "in Real Life?" In much of the fantasy literature I read, what human equivalents find unique is their freedom to choose. It is hard trying to overlay "the very limited real world" onto a fantasy or science fiction setting :)

I do like the idea of a character's "background" (as we used to call it) having a bit of say. It's always tough jumping into a character at some random point in their lives. What have they been doing before we entered their bodies and minds?  Also, if they stop mining or whatever, do they lose some or all of those attribute bonuses?

I would like to see some kind of extensive background inclusion along with meaningful racial traits, but it won't be mainstream. Most players don't "have the time" to even play the game much more than 15 to 30 minutes at a time, let alone put much thought into character creation or building :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I would like to see racial diversity with split attributes.

For example, a character with Ogre on one side of his family tree and Wood Elf on the other (because somewhere there is a wood elf who drinks way too much on blind dates).  Now you have a very, very strong character with a lot more dexterity than an Ogre would normally have.  

There are endless possibilities. 
    AlBQuirky4507Hatefull

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

DMKano said:
    In general what MMOs over time have really messed up - is they have taken away meaningful choice from players.

Race doesn't matter, attributes don't matter, gear - is all cookie cutter as far as best in slot etc...

Every choice that player makes should be meaningful - and the way to do that is to add a set of pluses AND minuses to everything in game.

Want to use a big ol heavy shield - sure it will boost your frontal defense by 60%- but it will make use 50% more stamina and make you turn 30% slower. 

Want to play a gnome - yes you'll be able to hide in shadows 50% easier but you will also have 60% less strength

Just make it to where there's a positive and a negative impact for every decision made - put meaningful choice back into MMOs - that would go a LONG way of making the games actually hae a bit of depth - instead of this shallow crap we ended up with today - where there's only 1 way to do everything - so no thought or choice involved at all, players cannot make any meaningful decisions as far as making their characters unique.
    You can be anything you want, but if it's not one of the three popular, cookie-cutter builds, then no one will group with you because you're sub-optimal.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Amathe said:
    I would like to see racial diversity with split attributes.

For example, a character with Ogre on one side of his family tree and Wood Elf on the other (because somewhere there is a wood elf who drinks way too much on blind dates).  Now you have a very, very strong character with a lot more dexterity than an Ogre would normally have.  

There are endless possibilities. 
    This is why most of my characters in ESO are hybrids.  Most half Vamp or Wolf.  It brings in some diversity but have been watered down because of complaints.  Still I always liked classes that had unique racial abilities however odd they might have seemed. 

There's also the fact that racial abilities are just skills that characters have added to them in advance, some even get leveled as skills.
    Amathe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Vanilla WoW did just this and is was a major complaint regarding certain classes being better with a certain race over others. Guilds would require that specific race to run in raids over others. So much drama that Blizzard nerfed that design.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Vanilla WoW did just this and is was a major complaint regarding certain classes being better with a certain race over others. Guilds would require that specific race to run in raids over others. So much drama that Blizzard nerfed that design.
    WoW was never deep with racial differences.  Just a few abilities.  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Class, race, subclass, factions and group roles have all been downgraded in importance or removed so that players have no difficulty "jumping right in" (i.e. not engaging their brain before they play) and that they never regret a choice, because if you regret a choice you might just decided to stop playing. Lets just put all that under the "Streamlining" banner shall we? :)
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I STRONGLY oppose mixed races in my fantasy world.

Thats simply because I want them to be clear choices at character creation, just like classes, and, as the OP requested, have an impact on your gameplay.

I dont oppose it if theres extreme races like a super strong troll at all, however then I would demand race dependent classes for them. Meaning a Troll cannot be for example a Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue or Paladin (etc) like an Elf or Human or Dwarf, but they can only be Troll Smasher (Fighter-like) or Troll Elder (Shaman-like), thus its possible to balance them against other players.

Other than that race could have a small change on how the classes play, too. Like say a Dwarven Paladin would get some extra dwarven abilities with shields when they play a Paladin.

And theres of course a lot of changes in flavor.

Like for example Highelves do not allow anyone to access their cities, so the only way to enter that one is being a Highelf. While Human cities welcome everybody, as long as they behave. Woodelves will accept any elves in their cities, but otherwise only races of the light and even they only if they are in a group with at least one elf. Trolls will even attack other Trolls readily if they dont know them and they get too close, and they dont make any cities ever anyway. Etc etc etc.

AlBQuirky