Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - When do testers think it will release?

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 20,573
    The game will release on February 30.
    bartoni33UngoodKylerantweedledumb99JamesGoblinScot
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,735
    meddyck said:
    I feel it is basically impossible it launches this year despite CSE continuing to claim that is the target.

I think it is much more likely to launch in the 2nd half of 2020 than to launch in the first half of 2020.

I don't think there's enough information at this point to judge the chances of it launching in 2021, but I wouldn't be shocked or anything if it did launch that late.

I rather not rush it if it's not good quality,  I dont care what the hype level is. Warhammer learned this the hard way.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    meddyck said:
    I feel it is basically impossible it launches this year despite CSE continuing to claim that is the target.

I think it is much more likely to launch in the 2nd half of 2020 than to launch in the first half of 2020.

I don't think there's enough information at this point to judge the chances of it launching in 2021, but I wouldn't be shocked or anything if it did launch that late.

I rather not rush it if it's not good quality,  I dont care what the hype level is. Warhammer learned this the hard way.
    The issue as CSE has already found is that the longer you take to release, the better your visuals need to be. The originally planned graphics that would have been fine if the game had released in 2015 wouldn't cut it for a 2020 release. So as a result of being delayed beyond 2015 the game has had to be further delayed to improve the graphics so that many players won't just reject it out of hand when it finally comes out. This is obviously a neverending treadmill so at some point they need to hurry up and finish the game while it has attained a good enough appearance before yet another graphics overhaul becomes needed.

Also the game was largely backed by older than typical MMO players who had nostalgia for Mark Jacob's previous MMOs. Those players aren't any younger 7 or more years after funding. That makes it an open question whether its old school gameplay approach with a large map, limited fast travel, harsh death penalties, etc. which often requires a substantial time investment per day will still be something those backers will want to play by the time it launches.

Yes of course you don't want to launch with major bugs or poor server or client performance or missing important features (*cough* extender pack classes *cough*), but spending an unlimited number of years developing the game doesn't really seem viable either. At some point in the next few years even the additional $7.5 million investment CSE got last January will run out too.
    KyleranTorvalJamesGoblintweedledumb99Ungoodjimmywolf

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 1,970
    I doubt this game will release anytime in 2019 or 2020.   You will see something closer to the 2021/22 time frame.  
    KyleranMarcus-JamesGoblintweedledumb99
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,428
    danwest58 said:
    I doubt this game will release anytime in 2019 or 2020.   You will see something closer to the 2021/22 time frame.  
    Realize its been 9 months since Beta "1" began, and it easily could be 3 more months until...Beta 1.1, Beta 2, who knows?

Yeah, yeah, they've said previously subsequent beta phases will not be so long but this team has a solid record in one thing for sure, being totally unable to reasonably forecast dates seeing as year 6 is about to go by.

TorvalMarcus-tweedledumb99meddyck

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,556
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:
    Realize its been 9 months since Beta "1" began, and it easily could be 3 more months until...Beta 1.1, Beta 2, who knows?

Yeah, yeah, they've said previously subsequent beta phases will not be so long but this team has a solid record in one thing for sure, being totally unable to reasonably forecast dates seeing as year 6 is about to go by.

18 months
    JamesGoblinKyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 52
    They may be forced to release it depending on how much funding they have remaining.
    tweedledumb99
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

18 months
    I know this is your shtick ^, but i think its gonna be 2-3 years at this point.

The one thing CSE keeps proving with timelines is they eventually overdeliver, but do it comically late.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,444
    IDK, seems like this Beta 1 is still more of an alpha from what the developers release about testing info.
    meddyck
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,459
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

IIRC, Beta is right before launch, pretty much, and it's a huge jump between Alpha and Beta, where in Beta, the game is done for all intents, and it's now just polishing and graphics.

So that could go pretty quick, which means, it's possible they could have the game EA or even launched by the end of the year.
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

IIRC, Beta is right before launch, pretty much, and it's a huge jump between Alpha and Beta, where in Beta, the game is done for all intents, and it's now just polishing and graphics.

So that could go pretty quick, which means, it's possible they could have the game EA or even launched by the end of the year.
    That's what I'm saying, though.  From what the developers have been saying in their press releases, this doesn't sound like a traditional beta.  It sounds more like an alpha.  They're still testing basic game systems, not a nearly completed game that just needs polishing.
    KyleranLokero
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,420
    in terms of the graphics issue. 

Can a company develop a game with scripts and mechanics and use low polygon crap as placeholders and then when all the mechanics and scripts and programming is up to stuff, they just put in the most up-to-date graphics? 

I have no idea how software development works, that's why I'm asking. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,574
    Quizzical said:
    The game will release on February 30.
    Oh on my birthday. Marvelous! 
    blueturtle13Kyleran
    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: One Second from One Second (1997) by Paradise Lost
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro. 
    • Adopted @Kyleran as my virtual father - I put him in my signature since he worries about me all the time and this way he can keep track of me when I talk to strangers here!
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Currently Playing: Spider-Man: Turf Wars / The Division farewell tour / Grim Fandango Remastered / Aven Colony
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,428
    edited April 30
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

That's what I'm saying, though.  From what the developers have been saying in their press releases, this doesn't sound like a traditional beta.  It sounds more like an alpha.  They're still testing basic game systems, not a nearly completed game that just needs polishing.
    Yeah, when you read what they are still adding to the game it doesn't seem as if they are in a true beta state.

In terms of delivered features they still seem closer to MVP than MMP.

Might all be ready sometime in 2020, but it will be a push even then. 

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Looks like people aren't terribly hopeful on the Reddit, either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/bjb3z2/fully_playable_game/
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 224
    3 more years a LOT to do a LOT that has to be redone.