Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs catering to people over 40 (or even over 50)

1235»

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,007
    I play twitch games even though I'm losing hair, need reading glasses and my hands gets numb if I play 5 hours straight but the times I die its because I make mistakes and not because I'm over 40.
    Hatefull
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • VanchoraVanchora Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited March 29
    centkin said:
    Video games are something that is usually aimed at the young and twitchy -- people who are at the pinnacle of their hand-eye coordination -- the same crowd most TV shows are aimed at.

MMOs do not have to be set up that way.  Indeed in the old days when pings were much worse, games were set up differently. 

There are a LOT of aging gamers out there and people who weren't gamers but are empty nest, or retiring/retired who have the kind of time and patience needed to excel in an MMO but not the standard current MMO.

I think if some game company came up with something that specifically catered to the older crowd, it would do surprisingly well. 

Will tell you just some stories kid:

- played lately Overwatch with my son. Needed 3-4 days to get into it. At first he said Dad I let you win so that you are not upset. I said ok son, just give me a few more days. Week 2 he said, OMG you can really play like that?  My answer was kid just sent your mom on vacation and give me your gaming computer then let's see ....
    - played WoW said to myself I am old and don't want stress so no m+ and m raiding for me, want chilly and easy life. 1st week omg, 2nd week getting used to it, 3 week ummmm what those kids doing? 4th week ummm maybe I should think about mythic raiding .... and I did BFA 8.1 was no real issue ... and yes I raided since classic
    - RTS with kids of a good friend of mine. Never played it didn't know what to do, they said doesn't matter we will carry you through ... 1st game Top rank, 2nd game Top rank, 3rd game I asked them if there is any reason to change my strategy ...

many more stories like that. I wouldn't split it up into age problem. I would split up into generation problem. We call you add kids, you call us antique. Which is worse? Which has value? You wanna provoke us? umm nope. Because I know with age of 44 I still can play better then 75% of those kiddies out there.  This puts me into the TOP 25 it is good enough for me. Because I play to have fun! You know what that means?
    And as long I can beat up youngsters I feel good!

And no I don't think you would do well in a game that is catered up for the older crowd. Because I wouldn't be too. Never make the mistake and go back in time.  Move with it! Adapt and evolve! this is an advice for games and RL!

YEAH!
    BABY!
    ROCK IT!

BÄM BÄM!

Fist Pump my a... umm nope your a... :-)

Hatefull
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,831

I think about this song when I PvP (at age 56):

"I ain't as good as I once was,
    My how the years have flown,
    But there was a time,
    Back in my prime,
    When I could really hold my own,
    But if you want a fight tonight,
    Guess those boys don't look all that tough,
    I ain't as good as I once was,
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was."

- Toby Keith
    Hatefullsunandshadow

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,188
    free2play said:
    The generation gap is more than just hand, eye. Gamers in their 50's and up don't get the same ego boost younger people do. When I say younger, I don't mean 20 and below. As a 50's game, "kids" never tend to be the problem in MMO's. It's the 30-45 group who are compensating in an Online realm that are the problem. The kids are just there to explore and the old people are there to reminisce.

Really though, none of it matters because all games these days are attempts at one size fits all because it's a wider audience and there is no sign that will change. The bigger the target the bigger the pay off if something sticks to the wall.

Gross generalization is seldom accurate. Please explain to me what the actual fuck I have to reminisce about in a game? What, exactly, am I compensating for? All the free time I have on my hands because I am once retired and I only work 40 hours a week now? So because I am over 45 I am no longer allowed to explore?

What are you talking about?

Your last statement I completely understand and agree with. The rest is very confusing. Did you do a poll or something?
    free2play

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• JangletoothJangletooth Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    I used to be able to play gin rummy in record time.  Canasta.  Spades.  Bingo.  I was a god damned machine.

Now as I've aged well into my "mid-tiers," I find I have to resort to video gaming as i slow down.  I still get twitchy sometimes, but doc says it's the meds.  
    Hatefull
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I'm only approaching 40 now, so I can't quite comment; I do think a bit slower than I used to, but I've always chosen to feel my way through games rather than read strategy guides and min-max, and I do about as well as I ever have.  I've been a gamer for 30+ years straight ( :o ) so it's not like I've ever had time to forget my gaming skills, aside from the fact that I play a wide variety of game genres that I might forget the fine details of one while concentrating on a different one.

But on the other hand, I'd like to see a few more single-player games with content aimed at adult women.
    HatefullTorval
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • zaxxon23zaxxon23 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Gotta be pretty decrepit to not be able to play a mmo.  Heck I'm excited for playing mmos in my retirement years.  I feel like I missed out on "life" wasting it away on mmos during my younger years...make a point of getting out now in my 40s...but am super excited to play mmos to my heart's content in my 60s and 70s and not feel bad about it lol.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,042
    The thing about the internet is no one really knows how old you are...To me, everyone is the same age..>We don't judge them on their age, sex, race, or any other factor...For hte most part, we have no idea who we are gaming with, and we don't even know whether to believe them if they do tell us.
    QuizzicalcraftseekerChildoftheShadowsHatefull
    sunandshadow said:

I'd like to see a few more single-player games with content aimed at adult women.
    All we need are more developers who either are women or who understand what women like. The first is improving slowly. The second, meh. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Amathe said:
    sunandshadow said:

I'd like to see a few more single-player games with content aimed at adult women.
    All we need are more developers who either are women or who understand what women like. The first is improving slowly. The second, meh. 
    Are women different than men?

^---- I'm leaving before that conversational hand grenade goes off.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull
    edited April 1
    Wargfoot said:
    Amathe said:
    sunandshadow said:

I believe women as individuals are unique, but as a statistical group they are a demographic like any other demographic, reflecting certain preferences statistically. 

Some things the group of women will like more than men, statistically speaking; some things less.

If I am wrong about this, someone please tell all the people spending money on gender targeted marketing.  

Note this is not a value judgment or a qualitative comparison.

SovrathsunandshadowAlBQuirky

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Amathe said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Amathe said:
    sunandshadow said:

I believe women as individuals are unique, but as a statistical group they are a demographic like any other demographic, reflecting certain preferences statistically. 

Some things the group of women will like more than men, statistically speaking; some things less.

If I am wrong about this, someone please tell all the people spending money on gender targeted marketing.  

Note this is not a value judgment or a qualitative comparison.

This is logic, a rapidly depleting characteristic in today's society. 
    SovrathHatefull
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 933
    I'm over 40 and I don't care if a mmorpg has twitch combat or slower, more tactical tab-targeting.  I just want decent rpg mechanics, and complex character building - when that is the focus the combat is usually fun regardless.  Without it the combat is crap, boring, and quickly gets old, repetitive and formulaic regardless.  

Before mmorpgs do anything to cater to any sub-demographic they need to focus on the main part of their acronym and focus on the major demographic - RPG fans.   
    AlBQuirky
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,019
    Kyleran said:
    Stop that! I may be mostly dead, but I'm not dead yet.

Yes, its true, not very good at twitch combat but that's more of a matter of preference rather than lack of ability in most games outside of pure shooters 

You know one of my best friends is a 48 year old female who my wife has often accused as being my "younger woman."

It's all relative....but never date a relative.

:D 
    Isn't this exactly what pantheon is?
  • EggonomiconEggonomicon Member UncommonPosts: 20
    lahnmir said:
    I know a few 50+ to 70+ players and they do play less twitchy games. Wiz101, Pirate 101, LOTRO, other RPGS.  They just accept they will never be in a "raiding" guild/clan in games like LOTRO.
    I played high level TSW dungeons with a 70+ guildie and these were brutal and twitchy. He rocked them. Another 60+ guildie I played WoW with (god bless her soul) was a high level raiding warlock in TBC and kicked ass. Just saying.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Neither is really twitch game play.