Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest missed opportunity: No Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) remake or classic servers

Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
edited April 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
So who knows our favorite publisher in the whole world (EA) still owns Daoc? Run by Broadsword, EA still owns the license....and as we know as long as they do they will do nothing worthwhile with it. As long as black beats red on the money books they don't give a shit.

I just think this is a no-brainer, but maybe it is because I would love to play on this server. My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

So how many are with me? Would you be excited about a classic server? 
Make MMORPG's Great Again!
Would you go back to DAOC if a classic server were made?
  1. Would you go back to DAOC if a classic server were made?58 votes
    1. TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!
      20.69%
    2. Yes, but only if free to play
        6.90%
    3. No, the game is better left as a memory (nostalgia stance)
      50.00%
    4. No, I never liked the game
        6.90%
    5. Never played but may or may not try it
      12.07%
    6. What's a DAOC?
        3.45%
ScotGdemami

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    And yes I know there are free to play servers out there...not a fan...not part of this discussion as far as I am concerned. 
    Kylerantweedledumb99
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited April 2019
    Never played it but heard a lot about it. I probably wouldnt try it, but who knows? My biggest concerns would probably be the old UI and graphics, but also I am not a fan of PvP in RPGs.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I lasted about 2 hours in DAOC,i thought it looked old and didn't like the gameplay.I remember very little about it,a few things turned me off that i remember but mostly right away the character selection/class selection was lol.

So no i don't want a daoc or anything like it.I want no pvp in ANY of my rpg's,it is not healthy for the community or the game.The only place i want to pvp is in an arena fps nowhere else.

Maybe one day when we have REAL VR and not this constant lol crap they keep trying to market us,maybe then pvp would be cool but even then the reasons why it is no cool in rpg's would still remain so no.
    MonsieurXSetzerbcbully

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Viper482 said:
    My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

So.. what you want is something like Camelot Unchained
    Viper482Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    Redo as an HD game, re-balance the mix of gameplay (not necessarily classic) and launch!
    GregorMcgregorbcbully
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I tried classic DAOC and I really can't get into it. It feels really weird to play, and I can get into most games from that generation. Modern DAOC is a bit easier to get into. I don't know that I would even try a classic server for it again even if it were official. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Ungood said:
    Viper482 said:
    My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

I'm a backer...the game is feeling horrible and still plays like pre alpha. Not optimistic.
    GregorMcgregorbcbully
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    be happy EA still keep the servers up, there is no chance for a classic because they don't want the main servers to lost players, and I doubt it would get that many extra players. l2 classic worked at least for sometime simple because the live servers one was a hell a lot diferent from the l2 from old.

DAOC did change much since launch?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    You remember your uncle Jimbob that you used to visit as a kid?  You'd go up to his farm in the country, and he would share his little anecdotes and stories.  He'd let you take the atv out at 60 mph with no helmet down the road to go get some soda and maybe give you a sip of your first beer?  You wouldn't take your kids to go see uncle Jimbob now because now that you look back at it..he was letting you drive a vehicle at 60 mph with no helmet when you were 8, he was always a little creepy and his anecdotes now that you think about it are pretty racist.

Memories should be left as memories.  Sure, it sucks that new players wouldn't be able to really get a feel for those memories today, but with what they have become accustomed to they aren't going to like it anyways.  MMOs of today are a far distance from the MMOs of yesterday.  Enjoy your memories, but trying to recreate them is a bad way to get those nostalgic memories of yours tarnished.
    [Deleted User]GregorMcgregor
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    I lasted about 2 hours in DAOC,i thought it looked old and didn't like the gameplay.I remember very little about it,a few things turned me off that i remember but mostly right away the character selection/class selection was lol.

So no i don't want a daoc or anything like it.I want no pvp in ANY of my rpg's,it is not healthy for the community or the game.The only place i want to pvp is in an arena fps nowhere else.

Maybe one day when we have REAL VR and not this constant lol crap they keep trying to market us,maybe then pvp would be cool but even then the reasons why it is no cool in rpg's would still remain so no.
    If you could not find a class that fit you in this game then nothing satisfies you which now makes so much sense.  And looked old?  Your favorite goto is FFXI which barely looks like a PS2 game and a UI that makes one want to stab their eyes out with a spoon so the complaints make no sense there.  You did not even get to the core game which was the RvR.
    Wasting your time on that one. He isn't a gamer just a complainer.

I liked DAoC however, I feel like it should be left in the past mostly, there is a part of me that would like to see it "modernized" and re-launched but not enough to write more than I have about it.
    Viper482RexKushman

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    WBadger said:
    You remember your uncle Jimbob that you used to visit as a kid?  You'd go up to his farm in the country, and he would share his little anecdotes and stories.  He'd let you take the atv out at 60 mph with no helmet down the road to go get some soda and maybe give you a sip of your first beer?  You wouldn't take your kids to go see uncle Jimbob now because now that you look back at it..he was letting you drive a vehicle at 60 mph with no helmet when you were 8, he was always a little creepy and his anecdotes now that you think about it are pretty racist.

Memories should be left as memories.  Sure, it sucks that new players wouldn't be able to really get a feel for those memories today, but with what they have become accustomed to they aren't going to like it anyways.  MMOs of today are a far distance from the MMOs of yesterday.  Enjoy your memories, but trying to recreate them is a bad way to get those nostalgic memories of yours tarnished.
    Whoa!

My Uncle taught me chess, paid for a subscription to a educational toy of the month club, set aside financial accounts for us and was a unifier for our family. So "great memories."

Not sure what type of family you had! B)

On a more serious note, it's ok to not only enjoy past memories but to capitalize on them to make something better.

After all, that's how things are actually done. That's where this precious innovation that some people scream for comes to pass.

Should Dark Age of Camelot have classic servers or a remake? Well, it's getting a sort of remake on the pvp side. We'll see if that comes to pass. Classic? Are there enough people who would want that and pay for it?

Players ask for things but I tend to think most of them won't stick around once they get it. Oh, I'm sure there are people who would love it but how many of them would make it worth the developers efforts?
    GregorMcgregorKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited April 2019
    Normally, I'd have voted leave it in the past. But since I never played it. I said I may or may not (probably not)

Anarchy Online is my all time favorite MMORPG from the past. Recently rebooted their Vanilla environment on a new progression server for subscribers. I thought about renewing my sub, but then.........like so many have said in this thread. Probably just best left as a memory. I chose not to go back.

I was also getting very excited for the WoW reboot coming up.
    Also have seen my desire for this diminish to almost zero as well. Same thing. Probably just left as a memory. Why do I say that? 2 reasons. If you have been there, you have done that. The other reason is that these reboots are basically the corporations trying to milk an old cow. It's just not going to be the experience you remember. Especially if the companies are trying to figure out how to maximize the monetization.
    [Deleted User]KyleranAgent_Joseph
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Viper482 said:
    So who knows our favorite publisher in the whole world (EA) still owns Daoc? Run by Broadsword, EA still owns the license....and as we know as long as they do they will do nothing worthwhile with it. As long as black beats red on the money books they don't give a shit.

I just think this is a no-brainer, but maybe it is because I would love to play on this server. My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

screw EA. if you want dark age, wait for mark to finish camelot unchained.
    UngoodMorgenes83GregorMcgregorKyleranAgent_Joseph

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    Viper482 said:

screw EA. if you want dark age, wait for mark to finish camelot unchained.
    I like EA, they make good games, just not good MMORPG games
    alkarionlogGregorMcgregorAgent_JosephRexKushman

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    DAOC = greatest MMORPG of all time.

Viper482GregorMcgregorRhiow-DarkstepLuidentweedledumb99

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Viper482 said:
    Ungood said:
    Viper482 said:

I'm a backer...the game is feeling horrible and still plays like pre alpha. Not optimistic.
    And I'd hardly call it a remake.  The old DAOC had a balance of pretty decent PVE to go with the PVP, something necessary IMO for a good pvp *MMO* vs just another pvp battle royale/arena game, no matter how big the world is.
    Slapshot1188MadFrenchieDhamon99Kyleran
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Gloria Victis has improved alot and is 3 faction.
    Viper482gervaise1
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Viper482 said:
     As long as black beats red on the money books they don't give a shit.

Black ALWAYS beats red in the money books. In any business. Always.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Dvora said:
    Viper482 said:
    Ungood said:
    Viper482 said:

And I'd hardly call it a remake.  The old DAOC had a balance of pretty decent PVE to go with the PVP, something necessary IMO for a good pvp *MMO* vs just another pvp battle royale/arena game, no matter how big the world is.
    I was going to say the same.  DAoC definitely lived on it's RvR, but it had a ton of PvE content (for the time).  Mobs would run or call for help when low on health.  Basic AI, but it was adequate for AI at the time.

It wasn't lacking PvE content completely.  It just wasn't the eventual goal.
    GregorMcgregor

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Viper482 said:
    Ungood said:
    Viper482 said:

I played DAoC when it was live for a few months, it was decent, but overall I was not impressed, I mean it was not bad, but it was nothing compared EQ (The other game I was playing at the time)

But, To each their own, personally, I will be playing Camelot Unchained when it goes live, but, again, I am not fan of a playing before Launch, did that with some older games, and swore off doing that again, and.. then I tried it again with Crowfall, and was starkly reminded why I swore off doing that.

Anyway. To each their own. If it won't be the game for you, then it won't be the game for you, just like DAoC was, just "OK" to me, and I see others on these forums doing some kind of fan-boi squeal over it still.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited April 2019
    Wizardry said:

Welp... there you have it. Wizardry tried DAoC, didn't like it (it's not FFXI after all), wouldn't want anything like that. So... may as well not even bother.

Wizardry, you could literally just post "Present" and everyone would already know what your opinion is. You've been writing, basically, the same post, ad infinitum, for months now.

Viper482Hatefull
    Wizardry said:

Welp... there you have it. Wizardry tried DAoC, didn't like it (it's not FFXI after all), wouldn't want anything like that. So... may as well not even bother.

Wizardry, you could literally just post "Present" and everyone would already know what your opinion is. You've been writing, basically, the same post, ad infinitum, for months now.

Yup. Ergo my issue with him. I just stopped reading his posts, I know as soon as I see his name on the list I can skip his copy/paste speech and keep scrolling.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I do still jump back in to DAoC now and again. I'd go back 24/7 if they revamped the game to make it more modern (can't see Unchained cutting it tbh). As for the Phoenix Freeshard, I was talking to a EA rep that said the devs are looking into legal action over copyright breach over stolen material (the code I guess?).
    Kyleran

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Viper482 said:

Pretty certain that EA no longer own DAoC or UO.

Whilst EA "set-up" Broadsword Studios - which now run DAoC and UO - they passed ownership over to Rob Denton and other ex-Mythic employees. Rob Denton being the 3rd member of the trio with MJ and MF who ran Mythic originally. Lot of talk back then about Broadsword being an indie etc. and of the great plans for the games.

Basically what WarnerBros did with LotR when they set up Standing Stone Games.

And kudos to both EA and WarnerBros. for doing so NCSoft would no doubt have just closed them
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited April 2019
    Hatefull said:
    Wizardry said:

If you could not find a class that fit you in this game then nothing satisfies you which now makes so much sense.  And looked old?  Your favorite goto is FFXI which barely looks like a PS2 game and a UI that makes one want to stab their eyes out with a spoon so the complaints make no sense there.  You did not even get to the core game which was the RvR.
    Wasting your time on that one. He isn't a gamer just a complainer.

I liked DAoC however, I feel like it should be left in the past mostly, there is a part of me that would like to see it "modernized" and re-launched but not enough to write more than I have about it.
    Hmm, with a bit of editing I think you just came up with a good slogan.

'¹Be a gamer instead of a complainer,' or something like that.
    Hatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon