Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the future of "Player Made Content " in the MMORPG genre?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I personally believe that Player Made Content has the potential to be a major part in improving the MMO genre going forward,  especially when it comes to addressing content droughts. 

But the tools for such a feature need to be advanced and polish of course for players to make gameplay content that others can enjoy during content droughts in developer content.

But what is the future of this type of game design? How can such a thing be done in a MMO with 1000s of players all playing together and wanting to make content. Some of it will be bad some good
 Some people will troll some wont. How will these be factored in when designing a Player Made Content tool?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Phaserlight

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited April 2019
    Depend on what kind of content .
    For landmark contents , it better to put in personal zone , like private flying islands .

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited April 2019
    I think having players control the enemies and bosses in a dungeon against their opposing faction would be fun.

Also maybe there could be a "dungeon creator", where you can make your own dungeon and populate it with mobs and bosses, giving each of them specific traits and attacks and stuff for others to try and overcome.

But this can become incredibly complex and is probably way far off into the future. Still, games like Super Mario Maker show that people enjoy creating content for others.
    Sovrath4507

Mend and Defend

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It just ends up being a barron landcape scattered with that one person that has an odd and disturbing fascination for penises all over their property. Or 20 half build houses that have been long abandoned. Even with a tribunal feature all that usually happens is that anyone that doesn't put a penis on their property gets outlawed. So, I don't know. Has potention for good though with mass co-ordination.
    MMOExposed

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The future of "player made content" is fairly dim tbh.

Building the tools to enable that is a costly exercise.
    But the greatest cost is the need to employ humans to monitor and approve all that player-made content. No game can risk not thoroughly vetting all contributions from players.
    AlBQuirky
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited April 2019
    Face Of Mankind and upcoming Mankind Reborn games have great idea for player made content, there are factions that are run by players and every weapon and armor is made by players, Mortal Online was similar. Too bad those kinds of games are niche and people dont like them enough for them to be populated, but i do love the idea in an mmorpg that everything is player run since it results in if you are an asshole you wont get anything done pretty much, you can't rank up in your faction because no one likes you, it's your own problem and your own fault, but you can ofcourse always find other assholes and team up with them i suppose, the freedom of choice is awesome.
    Jippiijoo said:
    Face Of Mankind and upcoming Mankind Reborn games have great idea for player made content, there are factions that are run by players and every weapon and armor is made by players, Mortal Online was similar. Too bad those kinds of games are niche and people dont like them enough for them to be populated, but i do love the idea in an mmorpg that everything is player run since it results in if you are an asshole you wont get anything done pretty much, you can't rank up in your faction because no one likes you, it's your own problem and your own fault, but you can ofcourse always find other assholes and team up with them i suppose, the freedom of choice is awesome.
    I hope that is the direction it will go eventually.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If you had asked this question ten years ago I would have said it was essential and had a good future. Now cash shops and their offspring Games As A Service have made it clear that player input is not wanted. You can't keep milking your cash cow whales if they are playing free content.
    Gdemamimrputts
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2019
    Gdemami said:
    This. Pretty much shows you the sad future of player made content...

Jippiijoo said:
    Face Of Mankind [...] Too bad those kinds of games are niche and people dont like them enough for them to be populated,
    Not niche at all, just one word, pvp.
    I babbled on it quite a lot, since I gave FoM a try every time after a relaunch (and they had a lot...), if only ONE time they'd give a chance on a Lucimia-esque PvE-only attempt the game would be a decent success: it has some good ideas compared with nice enough implementation. And then all of those are flushed down the drain by pvp which drives it hard into the ground every. time. they. relaunch.
    Of course that is just the past, I don't know about the game's current state since I've left a couple years ago, after the 4th or 5th relaunch took a nosedive yet again.

edit: is it alive at all? Google says "On September 3, 2015, Face of Mankind Fall of the Dominion was shut down."
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    player made content in mmos? i think there is only one example for that, and that is neverwinter online.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2019
    Po_gg said:
    This. Pretty much shows you the sad future of player made content...
    Why sad? It is apparently not popular enough to be worthy of saving...

Face Of Mankind [...] Too bad those kinds of games are niche and people dont like them enough for them to be populated,
    Not niche at all, just one word, pvp.
    I babbled on it quite a lot, since I gave FoM a try every time after a relaunch (and they had a lot...), if only ONE time they'd give a chance on a Lucimia-esque PvE-only attempt the game would be a decent success: it has some good ideas compared with nice enough implementation. And then all of those are flushed down the drain by pvp which drives it hard into the ground every. time. they. relaunch.
    Of course that is just the past, I don't know about the game's current state since I've left a couple years ago, after the 4th or 5th relaunch took a nosedive yet again.

edit: is it alive at all? Google says "On September 3, 2015, Face of Mankind Fall of the Dominion was shut down."
    Yeah i mean not niche, bad wording on my part, but yea people hate open world PvP, which sucks since i love the freedom of it and its the best way to have mmorpgs in my opinion, for the feeling of risk.

Also Mankind Reborn is not really remake of face of mankind and FoM is long gone, but it is a new mmo that is coming which is made by people who loved FoM and want it to return basically, it has differences but basically it is the same as FoM. It has open world pvp and stuff so no need to look into it i suppose :D
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Not sure. I would be happy with AI driven content.

New player content will be killing each other honestly.  Kingdom building maybe.  

You have Ashes of Creation which seems to be quasi themepark and sandbox.  Players are supposed to be able to make orders to further their node growth.

Camelot and Crowfall are kingdom building games. 

Chronicles of Elyria likely will never come out.

Think the rest are EQ clones?
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    DMKano said:
    Thane said:
    player made content in mmos? i think there is only one example for that, and that is neverwinter online.

Yep I remember those pits of monsters for face-roll XP.

I remember there were good adventures in Neverwinter. Some pretty epic player written stories have been told in Neverwinter. Some really good content creators were present. Sure there were adventures with easy loot and easy xp setups, but why highlight those? In any game players will try (and find) the easiest and shortest route. Guess it's a classic case of glass half full vs half empty.

In many games I have seen players organising events for other players. (Role-)Players ran events in LotrO, UO, Rift, Landmark and WoW. From simple duelling tournaments, city raids, swap meets, holiday games, band night to ungoing story telling, it brought players together and they had fun. People want to be entertained and people want to entertain. So why would it be wrong to think  there will be mmorpgs that will add tools so players can run events, program questgivers and design areas?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2019
    NWO and STO had some very good PMC.  I think it will continue with single player games.  There are some pretty good mods that add all kinds of content to RPGs.  From what I've heard the guy who made the Sims adult mods made some pretty good money thanks to the support of fans.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Thane said:
    Trove is riddled with player made content. Everything from weapons to full dungeons can be submitted and played.

Then there is of course Second Life. But that could be called a "Chat Room" as opposed to real MMO, but in any case, the content is there.

I hear there are other MMO's coming out, like Boundless, that I think if going to have PGC, but it might just have a fully destructible/buildable persistent world. Not 100% sure.

Octagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    ikcin said:

There is Minecraft. So everything with player made skins and models in the MMOs is fine. Also there are LoL, Fortnite and etc. competitive games, as the story and the experience of every PvP competition is a player made content. 

Actually you can make your own skins and models in every game installed on your PC. Just the other players will not see them. But if you want that to be part of games like WoW, well it will not go to happen, like never. Also, if the players make the content, why do you need devs? And most people want to play games, not to create games. 
    I know you really know this, just like to be stubborn, but Minecraft, LoL, Fortnite, etc, are not MMO's and their basis for designs do not translate over.

I think you can go as far as allowing world building like most survival games, but it would be heavily encouraged to have limitations on where you can build due to the number of players in your world at any time. The reason it works to be 100% anywhere in a survival game is that 1) Few people in the game at a time and 2) it's the only thing you do in the game. MMOs, specifically MMORPG's typically have more than 1type of content, or at least should be, and cluttering the world with player made structures without some kind of limitation impedes on the other activities.

When it comes to something like quests it gets sticky because players can easily break others immersion with completely out of context texts. Anything beyond a simple task like collecting timber for a gold reward (just a reverse market...) would require heavy developer involvement even if all the mechanics were in place just to ensure it was actually part of the game and not some kid making a joke.

In short, unless you as a developer are prepared to be heavily involved in ensuring the content fits the game or you don't care and let players do whatever, it's not very ideal to allow for player created content in the manner that the OP is discussing.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I feel like many companies are moving away from player made content either because they view it as competition or a potential lawsuit, or they just dont want to include something they cant really control. A game that has mod support is a definite plus when I am looking to buy, for sure.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    ikcin said:

When it comes to something like quests it gets sticky because players can easily break others immersion with completely out of context texts. Anything beyond a simple task like collecting timber for a gold reward (just a reverse market...) would require heavy developer involvement even if all the mechanics were in place just to ensure it was actually part of the game and not some kid making a joke.
    I disagree. Most players do not read the quests anyway. But the player to player quests could use prewritten texts. As the tasks will be generic, indeed, like in the most quests. Well it could be made much more sophisticated, but for that the devs should improve the concept of the RP and the classes in the MMOs. For example - there is a thief from enemy territory, who stole your rare weapon, and you could hire another thief to find it. Of course for such a quest also should be improved the game features and mechanics. It is much more simple to copy and paste mobs for grind. 
    Doesn't matter, if one person reads the quest and its text is gibberish then it's a broken system.

For the other stuff there are already mechanics in place in some games and they're not really a new concept. You can ransom people in Eve, the only difference is returning the item in question which I don't think would add much. Everything else, including "tasks" are in different form through trading. "WTB 100x timber" - someone collects it and sells it to you. It's the same thing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To simplify it is called >>MODDING.We already had the first phase with the Unreal Tournament game way back in 99 and since then VERY few developers have tried to advance on it.
    The phase we are at right now is basically seen in survival games,building "with limits" and creating mods from some dev kit.

The next phase will be allowing all players to upload directly into the games files.This pretty much needs to be done by separating the world into shards,players can run their own shard but is connected to the entire world via downloading/zoning.
    So two things about the next phase.

1 If you use already in game assets/textures/sounds/music etc etc,it is a simple zoning process,all that gets loaded would be any new mesh's models but all using stuff in the game files.Unless a massive ton of work was done this could simply mean 5-10 seconds of zoning time,no big deal.

2 Custom content and private shards is just too much for the entire scope of the idea.I just can't see it working properly or even well.
    So imo This needs to remain similar to what we already have>>private servers using their own setup/scripts/mods.
    We have already seen the idea of inside server designs with the Dungeons and dragons game and although in the beginning many liked it,i never did because i knew what it was doing.Rearranging the EXACT same assets does not give me a new feeling,maybe for women erri mean people ! who like to rearrange the furniture every month it does but not for me.I need to see DIFFERENT ideas/assets.
    Instead of moving the couch from east to west , i want to see a new couch know what i mean Vern?

craftseeker

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    DMKano said:
    Thane said:

Yep I remember those pits of monsters for face-roll XP.

You are heading on the @Wizardry path with your pessimistic views on most things. I choose to remember looking at the highest reviewed and see the creativity of people. I even made a dungeon where the player was the evil enemy. It was kind of cool actually. I had him kidnap a royal princess and then impregnate her and i showed her belly getting bigger and then a band of heroes come and fight you. 

SovrathKellerIselin
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited April 2019
    Thane said:
    Actually Everquest 2 hae dungeon maker. Which allowed player 'decorated' dungeons to be run. It even had a player rating system. Very quickly it turned into a huge exploit and eventually got shut down.
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    A case in point, FO76. They promised player made content in a GaaS (which is just a fancy term for a game with a cash shop). So where is it? You are not going to get free content made available in games that want you to buy content, which increasingly is all online games.
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    I'd love a game that allowed someone to play necromancer and build their own crypt. Some kind of dungeon master system that rewarded the builder, or allowed their minions to progress would be great.

The posts above me all seem to be backward looking; how to tweak what already exists to bolt on something. I don't see why reputation and flag systems cant be used to score content for family friendly, lore friendly, immersion friendly etc. You'd need some way of filtering the content to what you want intrinsic to the game engine. Some content could be baked into the game if it passes muster while the rest is hidden in some way. Notice I didn't use terms like shard or instance because people on this site seem to always imprison themselves in the baggage of what they have already played.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    rounner said:
    I'd love a game that allowed someone to play necromancer and build their own crypt. Some kind of dungeon master system that rewarded the builder, or allowed their minions to progress would be great.

The posts above me all seem to be backward looking; how to tweak what already exists to bolt on something. I don't see why reputation and flag systems cant be used to score content for family friendly, lore friendly, immersion friendly etc. You'd need some way of filtering the content to what you want intrinsic to the game engine. Some content could be baked into the game if it passes muster while the rest is hidden in some way. Notice I didn't use terms like shard or instance because people on this site seem to always imprison themselves in the baggage of what they have already played.

The biggest problem is people say they want change yet many times it's more in the reordering of what they know.