Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casey Hudson to BioWare Staff: 'These Problems Are Real & It's Our Top Priority to Work on Them' - M

2»

Comments

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    OG_Zorvan said:
    EA is gonna kick Ware to the curb. Easiest way to deal with the bad publicity and Ware gave them the conditions for termination on a silver platter publicly.
    I think the only reason EA forced Bioware to release such a disaster was to have a good reason to shutter the studio with minimal public backlash.  I personally think Anthem should have been shitcanned if EA was unwilling to give them more time. 

There is no way in hell that EA was blind to the state Anthem was in before it's release.  It's understandable if EA didn't want to burn more money after a 6-7 year development cycle, but they shouldn't have been afraid to cancel the project altogether.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    I say take all the cash shop devs,early access devs,copy cat devs and make them walk the plank with 500 copies of Diablo 4 tied to each leg and a copy of every bad game out there,man they won't only sink they will sink like a torpedo.
    Torpedos float, just below the surface, and when not powered they rise. Unless they are very old then eventually the elements will cause them to sink but it takes a long time. Put your tin hat back on.
    bartoni33

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Gdemami said:
    SBFord said:
    Riiiiiiiight. Because people deserve to work in unethical situations that are detrimental to their health. FFS, dude. :D
    ...no one is forcing them to work there.

You don't like something at your job? You use internal channels to sort out your issue or you just leave the company....but smacktalking someone who is feeding you behind their back...yeah, that takes some 'ethics'...

I think what is more detrimental to your health is reading and falling to excrements that yellow kid is producing...again, tell me more about 'ethics' of yellow yournalism...

ffs indeed...
    You are so out of touch with reality. Do you honestly think their first step was to go behind management's back? I know for you, a coward of the highest order, that is most likely the first step, but in the real world, it isn't.

Adults that work in the real world usually have complaints about their jobs. Most of us take it up the chain of command and expect a resolution, even in the military there is a system for this. I suspect concerns have been voiced and after a period of time with no response or improvement people become disgruntled, this is when this type of thing happens. real leaders, would see this and understand there are very large issues that need to be addressed immediately. Not band-aids, but real working solutions to the issues.

This could end up being a turning point for EA. As @SBFord pointed out this is an HR and PR nightmare and if they (the management) do not address it, this could be the end of this company. And while it is popular to bash game companies for decisions you, the consumer does not approve of think back a few weeks ago when everyone was crying that a few studios laid off people. A studio going out of business means no layoff, no separation packages, nothing but unemployment. Not a good place to be in this industry right now.

I hope they turn it around and keep people working.
    Gdemamibartoni33

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    We are only suddenly hearing all these complaints now because the studio is crumbling.  People don't seem to complain much when their jobs are secure and they are working on successful projects.
    Well, those disgruntled Bioware employees won't have to run and cry to random journalists for much longer, as I envision the studio being shuttered before too long.  So, congrats to them for speeding things along, I guess?

If I were EA, I'd dump Bioware like the dead weight they've become.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Whats amazing to me is that this guy sends out an email like this, acknowledging his failures that cost the success of a huge title launch, many employees leaving with health issues, etc.  

Yet if you or I acknowledged as many faults, its termination baby.

I guess high ups are invuln.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    SBFord said:
    Gdemami said:
    Pity you cannot prevent nor find out those shitbags running their mouths...they deserve to be fired.
    Riiiiiiiight. Because people deserve to work in unethical situations that are detrimental to their physical and mental health. FFS, dude. :D
    Completely agree.  But you have to wonder if Mr Hudson and his exec buddies are trying to find out who spilled the beans, both current and former employee alike.  Or are they human and after reading the article looked inward a bit and realized that most of it is true but were too chicken shit to admit it.

Basically, when they read the article did the high ups go into defense mode or compassion mode.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited April 2019
    cesmode8 said:
    Whats amazing to me is that this guy sends out an email like this, acknowledging his failures that cost the success of a huge title launch, many employees leaving with health issues, etc.  

Yet if you or I acknowledged as many faults, its termination baby.

I guess high ups are invuln.
    I mean Mr. Hudson's failure was temporarily retiring at the worst possible time (and in fairness, we don't know his personal circumstances) and then returning when it was too late to right the ship. 

It's far from ideal, and it did destroy the game's potential, but it was simply a human choice, not an evil executive act. I see no reason for him to be punished for at one point wanting to leave. It sounds like he was as much a victim of this game's development Hell as the other employees.
  • onemegonemeg Member UncommonPosts: 33
    It's not just Bioware, the entire game industry is run this way which is precisely why I left it :( The money is great, the planning is terrible, the hours are terrible, the nepotism is rampant. I'll play instead of make now, kthxbye.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    onemeg said:
    It's not just Bioware, the entire game industry is run this way which is precisely why I left it :( The money is great, the planning is terrible, the hours are terrible, the nepotism is rampant. I'll play instead of make now, kthxbye.
    But does it have to be this way? What if someone started a game company and actually ran it well? Maybe *gasp* ran it like a software company.

Because otherwise this doesn't really say "good things" about gamerz who become developers.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Amathe said:
    Gdemami said:

You don't like something at your job? You use internal channels to sort out your issue or you just leave the company ....
    Reminds me of a Homer Simpson quote. "If you don't like your job, you don't quit or go on strike. You just come in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."
    Half-assed seems to be the de-facto SOP for Bioware these days.

Another thing The Simpsons foretold like 9/11 and a Trump presidency?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    edited April 2019
    Here is an example of why Chinese game developers are just going to completely control gaming going forward.

The complaints listed in this article amount to "developing games is hard" as decided by low-level employees who think they know everything. The fact that this led to some kind of crisis or something indicates that Western developers have been employing some really entitled know it alls.

Everybody thinks their talents are not properly recognized and rewarded: it's human nature. We all think that we are the greatest at what we do, but just lack a little something (e.g., proper experience/training, opportunity, power, money, connections, etc.) that is preventing us from realizing our limitless potential.

That is one of the foibles of youth, but whereas in the past it was fine for older, more experienced professionals to ignore the irrationality therein, suddenly executives and media take this undeserved sense of entitlement seriously.
    AeanderHatefullGdemami