Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Right Game For Casual?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
I'm looking for a MMO where I can invest time into but on a casual level but not feel like I'm obsolete if I don't sign on everyday and push the hardest content. I've heard GW2 is perfect for this type of style and was wondering if I should get more involved with the game? Right now.. I'm bouncing back and forth between GW2 and ESO so I would like to try and just get into one game.

Thanks!

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This game is one you would enjoy as a casual player, imo.
    Chimborazo

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Both games can really fit the bill, either GW2 or ESO.  GW2 is good for some casual play, it really doesn't take long to obtain most things. 

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Really depends on what you want out of the game. GW2 has raids and some harder end game content, that requires team/group play, so, that might stonewall you as a casual.

Also, while GW2 does not have a huge gear grind, it does have other kinds of grinds, like Mounts, Elite Spec, and so forth, that you will need to do, if you want to remain current.

I have not played ESO, so I have no idea what they offer.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Both are fun.  Both easy to play and get back into.  GW2 is a little more convenient with a traditional auction house and being able to put stuff up for sell directly to the auction house from your UI and lots of inventory space with a separate space for crafting items, ESO wants a subscription for extra crafting space. 

Both communities are helpful for the most part. 

ESO has lots of housing.  A lot of people are turned off by the animation canceling in ESO and having few skills available in the skill bar but there are work a rounds.  ESO has a ton of mods.  GW2 only a few that I'm aware of but none are really needed,imo.

It boils down to your play style.
    Truvidien88

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    edited April 2019
    As someone who has played about 2500 hours of GW2 (most of them coming from initial launch, took a break for 4+ yrs and came back last spring after the game had launched two expansions), yes you can hop right in.  It doesnt take long to get rare or exotic items, they are cheap enough to buy from the AH.  And thats all you need for all PVE content with the exception of fractals (ascended gear because of a particular attribute you need).  

GW2 has raids, but you can ignore them.  I raided in wow for years because I felt obligated to do so.  In GW2 I feel its almost an afterthought.  Most of the time you will spend grinding for cosmetic items, grinding for profit and gold so you can save up for legendaries (long expensive and time consuming process.  Took me forever to get my first but its a huge accomplishment), mounts, specs, etc.  

ESO I played at launch for a while and havent really touched since.  I was in the same boat as you last spring when they were about to drop their summerset expansion...GW2 or ESO.  I chose GW2 but ESO for some reason has a special place in my heart and Id love to go back some day.

I will warn you, and its honestly the reason I dont play GW2 now... If you go to the GW2 forums and become active in the community, the forum mods can and WILL make your life hell if they choose to target you.  I took to the forums to help people that ask questions, chime in on friendly discussions.  Nothing toxic.  One day, I get several warnings from their forum mods (Arenanet staff) saying that my posts were off topic and didn't specifically answer the post.  I pointed out to the head of their moderation team that this happens in literally every post on every forum including GW2s, with screen captures.  She ignored.  She then warned me again.  I went to GW2 social media pages requesting an audience with Arenanet management for unfair treatment.  It fell on def ears.  Apparently, despite their claim to be accepting of all players, I was the target of one forum moderators wrath.  I wonder if it is because 4 years prior when I initially played the game I was vocal in my displeasure with the direction of the game.  I guess they held it against me?  I was pretty active on the page then too.  Take this as you will, with a grain of salt or more.  Its one person's experience.  

A bit off topic (no bans or warnings plz!) but something to consider if you take to the forums with questions, concerns, feedback, or to help people.  They run their forum strictly like its some holy place.

With that said, I might return to GW2 in the coming months myself.  

Truvidien88Smashix
  • ChickenoobleChickenooble Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2019
    I'm looking for a MMO where I can invest time into but on a casual level but not feel like I'm obsolete if I don't sign on everyday and push the hardest content. I've heard GW2 is perfect for this type of style and was wondering if I should get more involved with the game? 

Hey man (and everyone else), this is an old thread so I'm not sure you need this anymore but I'm going to share anyways.. I made a video that explains why I think GW2 is good for Casual gamers and if you're still wanting information, here's the link:

If you guys don't use it that's cool -- it'll be here for anyone else who is looking for an answer to this question. :)

laxieChimborazoMezzerin