Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you really die falling into the ocean from airplane altitude?

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
edited March 2019 in Off-Topic Discussion
Some time back I heard a old wive's tail that water turns to concrete if you fall from high up.

But I've always believed this to be a lie. Why?

Cause a penny for example, if it falls from a skyscraper and hits someone on the ground below...its not gonna kill the person or leave a crater. Even if it fell from an airplane, it can't fall faster than it can. Of course, humans fall faster than a penny, but they aren't gonna fall so fast they turn into a meteor hitting the earth. You can only fall at the speed that one is limited by.

Of course, hitting the ground would hurt. Ground is solid. Even a boulder leaves a crater in the ground. The boulder will also explode as it hits the ground. But water is a liquid, water is not concrete or a road. And if even say a boulder falls into the water, it makes a big splash but thats all. The boulder doesnt explode like its hitting concrete. A boulder is also much heavier than a person is

So say you jump out of an airplane in an emergency...you aren't gonna keep falling faster and faster and faster until you turn into a meteor, you will only fall as fast as ones weight, size and shape. But most people are very lighter than a boulder.

The other thing is, I've jumped from a skyscraper into a massive lake below, did I die? Nope didn't even hurt. Though I did get fined for trespassing. But the views+ad income on youtube by far made up for that. In any case, now airplane altitude is different than skyscraper altitude...but you aren't gonna fall faster than you would a tall skyscraper. Eventually the fall speed maxes out.

So that is why, especially when I jumped off a skyscraper...no pain, nothing. was exoneration. Very exciting. Was just like jumping into a pool from a tall ladder. So how can the old wive's tail be true that water turns to concrete when even from max falling speed it never actually turned to concrete? I think thats a lie when you take in all the facts of how fast someone can actually fall, and how no object even from airplane altitude like a penny suddenly turns to meteor speed and explodes on impact. Even a boulder from high above doesnt explode on impact when hitting water. And meteors are different cause they are coming in at 1000s of miles per hour from space...no comparison there

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    link the youtube video. How high was the skyscraper?

Also, people die all the time from jumping from bridges over water. The issue is that the force you create on the water will go back to you and the faster you fall, the greater the force will be. It also depends if you go in with your feet or you belly flop in. 

You could also just google it. The highest dive into a pool that was witnessed is probably 170ish feet i saw. 

a quote from the internet:
    Stone states that jumping from 150 feet (46 metres) or higher on land, and 250 feet (76 metres) or more on water, is 95% to 98% fatal. 150 feet/46 metres, equates to roughly 10 to 15 stories in a building, depending on the height of one story. 250 feet is the height of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I've never heard of a Darwin Awards trainee before.
    Hatefull
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2019
    Yes, jumping from a great distance into water will kill you. Jumping from 250 feet (76 metres) or more on water is 95% to 98% fatal.

So will drugs, eventually.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Can't cure stupid......
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I forgot to mention where I went to college, we had a lot of bridges over gorges, and were known for suicides, so on a lot of bridges, there was fencing to prevent people from jumping off. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited April 2019
    It's called surface tension. It's why water will balloon a little above a glass before spilling over. You can also stick your finger into that overfull glass and "break the tension." So when you jump into water (or ONTO, rather), you hit that surface tension with a flat object, your body.

Myth Busters did a segment on the theory that if you dropped a hammer (or other object) onto the water just before hitting it with your body, the hammer would break the surface tension for you and you'd have nice, soft, liquidy water to fall into. It didn't work :)

PS: Don't do drugs, kids. Message boards and phone cameras have a way to document what you thought was an AWESOME idea at the time :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR